00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VlSP3R just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Stand Up Comedy Crew

20,885 Views | 293 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-04 19:36:04

I got Gervais' Fame DVD today :).
I've seen it loads of times but its brilliant.

Waiting for Animals too. It'd be lovely if that showed up tomorrow :).

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-05 03:41:48

Well this is a BA post. I've got to say. I hate Dane Cook, Because he was good once, and then his act died because he started to rely on flailing his body WAY to much.
I like Jeff Dunham. Except I find Jose to be anoying. On a stick! isn't funny after the forth time. But Walter is awesome. I like bill engval and some of Foxworthy. I love bill Hicks, and I absolutly adore Bill cosby. I'm really surprised no one has mentioned him. Hes the god of stand up!

BABIES BABIES BABIES!!!!

Jesse James

My email thing, yeah, that one.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-05 19:01:11

At 7/5/08 03:41 AM, jmaster13 wrote: I'm really surprised no one has mentioned him. Hes the god of stand up!

I've seen like a minute of material from him.
He's not really popular here in England.
And I'm not intriged enough to look him up more. As I am, say, with Hicks and Carlin.

Saying that, I have nothing against the man and I did laugh at the minute I saw :). I was suprised though, Eddie Murphy and Family Guy had me thinking he'd be some kind of extreme goody-goody. But he wasn't :).

And speaking of Eddie Murphy. Raw is easily one of the best stand ups ever :D.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-05 19:39:48

Ha, cool club guys!

Have any of you seen Bill Cosby's stand-up (Or in his case, sit down because he's always in a freakin' chair) bits? I saw his dentist thing on Youtube and it was probably the strangest thing ever.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-05 21:07:21

What the fuck is wrong with you people? How can you be a fan of standup and never have seen Bill Cosby Himself? It's a classic, must see performance! You disappoint me.

I saw Cosby live in Poughkeepsie a couple years ago. He was great.

At 7/5/08 07:01 PM, Nev wrote: And speaking of Eddie Murphy. Raw is easily one of the best stand ups ever :D.

Delirious is really good, too.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-06 16:59:53

At 7/5/08 09:07 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: What the fuck is wrong with you people? How can you be a fan of standup and never have seen Bill Cosby Himself? It's a classic, must see performance! You disappoint me.

The only person to post since Cosby was first mentioned - who hasn't heard his stuff - was me.
So stop offending the masses Sensey! >:( You have no power here ;).

It's good. I wasn't overly impressed overall though. I found Raw to be much, much better.
But the Mr. T stuff was classic :).
Its a great document of the past too. Eddie would never get away with that language nowadays :P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-06 17:53:35

At 7/6/08 04:59 PM, Nev wrote: The only person to post since Cosby was first mentioned who hasn't heard his stuff was me.

I think it's clear that "puddin" fellow hasn't seen Bill Cosby Himself either. just the dentist bit.

So stop offending the masses Sensey! >:( You have no power here ;).

I don't need power to tell you how wrong it is that you have not seen such an important performance.

It's good. I wasn't overly impressed overall though. I found Raw to be much, much better.

yeah

Its a great document of the past too. Eddie would never get away with that language nowadays :P.

He's not really funny anymore, sadly.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-06 17:56:08

At 7/6/08 05:53 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't need power to tell you how wrong it is that you have not seen such an important performance.

The subject was offending the masses :P.

He's not really funny anymore, sadly.

He has children and stuff and is getting on. He can't be talking the way he was.
Saying that, it didn't stop Carlin. Though I guess thats why we love him :).

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-09 03:57:52

Haha, Well then, I still say Bill Cosby is the best hands down. Bill Hicks is funny aswell.

I also like Chris Rock, but the amount of swearing he does is intence. Like it dosn't bother me for it to be alittle, or even alot. But, like that much. WTF? Way to much.

BABIES BABIES BABIES!!!!

Jesse James

My email thing, yeah, that one.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-10 11:40:02

At 7/9/08 03:57 AM, jmaster13 wrote: Haha, Well then, I still say Bill Cosby is the best hands down. Bill Hicks is funny aswell.

I also like Chris Rock, but the amount of swearing he does is intence. Like it dosn't bother me for it to be alittle, or even alot. But, like that much. WTF? Way to much.

He's not as bad as old British comics like Bernard Manning, Roy Chubby Brown, etc.
All their act consists of is racism and swearing. Arses, they are.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-18 13:32:57

At 4/25/08 01:59 PM, Idiosyncratic wrote: Also, do any of you actually find Dane Cook the least bit funny? He is possible the most unfunny comedian to ever exist, in my opinion.

Well Said. Dane Cook is nothing more than a ... Something... Something stupid.

Sadly, He was only ever " Just a halfa-sammich," just like the lady at the Wendy's drive throu had said, all those years ago...

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-18 13:46:59

At 7/5/08 09:07 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: What the fuck is wrong with you people? How can you be a fan of standup and never have seen Bill Cosby Himself? It's a classic, must see performance! You disappoint me.

I saw Cosby live in Poughkeepsie a couple years ago. He was great.

At 7/5/08 07:01 PM, Nev wrote: And speaking of Eddie Murphy. Raw is easily one of the best stand ups ever :D.

Classics like cosby and murphy are so fundamental to Comedy that their inclusion in every "top 5 list" is just automatic. They need not be listed because it is just a given fact that they are there.

Anyways, Im first and foremost a musician, but I love to do stand-up around my 'hood. I started doing 'comedy jams' with my friend, Simeon, last year, and between the two of us we would be on stage doing free style stand up, acting out events from our messed up lives, and doing "roasts" of the people in our community.

We are a great team on stage, because of our different styles ( Im a white kid from the suburbs who is sick of white people, he is a tall black kickboxer from our city's version of 'the projects'. I'm akward in public, he's the slickest ladies-man alive). I was wondering, do any of you guys also do stand-up, or just devoted fans? If you do, what kind, what types of venues, and what makes you want to do it?

Sadly, He was only ever " Just a halfa-sammich," just like the lady at the Wendy's drive throu had said, all those years ago...

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-18 13:59:48

At 7/18/08 01:46 PM, dub-mass wrote: We are a great team on stage, because of our different styles ( Im a white kid from the suburbs who is sick of white people, he is a tall black kickboxer from our city's version of 'the projects'. I'm akward in public, he's the slickest ladies-man alive).

Sounds a bit cliché :P.
But who am I to judge?

No one thats who.
I was wondering, do any of you guys also do stand-up, or just devoted fans? If you do, what kind, what types of venues, and what makes you want to do it?

Two members have said they do, but they've never said anything after that :(.
I have a witty brain and I do make people laugh a lot. But I'm very self conscious and very lacking in confidence. So I couldn't get up on stage and do it.
Though seeing as I love Stand-Up I may have to try to in a few years or something :P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-21 11:01:39

It is a bit "Interracial- Buddy-Cop Movie" sometimes, but we work well as a team.

Anyways, if you like to make people laugh, and you've got the wit for it, why feel self concious? Trust me, most people watching will be impressed by your courage to get up in front of people and perform. The first one is generally the most dificult to start, but after you get going it's so much fun (as long as you have fresh material, because few things are worse than having to do stale acts and not getting laughs). You should try it sometimes, just with some friends at first, then see how you like it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-21 11:24:58

At 7/21/08 11:01 AM, dub-mass wrote: Anyways, if you like to make people laugh, and you've got the wit for it, why feel self concious?

I'm self-conscious in general. In every aspect of life :P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-23 11:16:06

I'm Elf-consious in general. The fact that I'm aware of the presence of Elves (not like in LOTR, more like in Santa's shop) in everyday life, watching me and planning their attack, is troubling. Those who can't sense the elves think I'm crazy, but we'll see whose laughing when they're all being mugged by a handfull of tiny men singing folk songs in high soprano voices.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-07-23 11:23:28

Lucky then they only come out once a year :P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-05 14:41:02

Not here. I live at the north pole, so they're aggrivatin' mah style pretty much all the time. On the plus side, they taste great on a bagel.

The Stand Up Comedy Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-05 17:27:03

The only stand up I listen to is Dane Cook.
But he is good.

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-06 09:35:40

At 8/5/08 05:27 PM, Ninja-Without-Sight wrote: The only stand up I listen to is Dane Cook.
But he is good.

sigh
I can't see the appeal of Dane Cook. His stories are quite mundane, repetative, and quite often incomprehensible. THe only thing that makes them seem even somewhat exciting is his habbit of Shouting them loudly and moving around the stage like a coke-addict. Shouting is his only "style/gimmick", and it's not even a fresh one since much better performers (such as Gilbert Godfrey, Louis Black, Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce, etc.) have been using it for years.

Listen, I'm not trying to start any BBS drama (aka: A Nerd-War), and I'm not insulting or criticizing you or your tastes in any way. As a performer myself, but in standup comedy and music, I can't see the appeal of someone who talks to his audience as if they were a hearing impaired twelve year old.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 10:10:34

It's been almost a week since anyone said anything here, so I''ll just start up the conversation again.

The Big Comedy World News is:

BERNIE MAC IS DEAD!!!!!

This is a horrible loss in stand-up comedy. Bernie Mac, one of the original 'Kings of Comedy", died of pneumonia at the age of 50 recently. His conditiion was probably a result of smoking cigars round-the-clock. This is so sad, especially since the recent death of another comedy legend, Mr. George Carlin.
What is happening to all our stars, man? Anybody care to weigh in on these tragic losses? These are the biggest blows to the world of standup comedy wince the death of Mitch Hedberg a few years ago, and the death of Bill Hicks a few years before that.

Please give your input and opinions on this. Would you abandon Comedy in this, it's darkest hour?

The Stand Up Comedy Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 10:48:49

Caught some of Dara O'Briain's stand-up on TV the other night after a session in the pub. He's a pretty funny guy actually, although I was never particularly into his stuff before. What impressed me most about him was that he was talking to people in the audience and improvising based on what he was talking with them about, rather than just spewing forth a pre-rehearsed act.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 11:24:30

At 8/12/08 10:10 AM, dub-mass wrote: Please give your input and opinions on this. Would you abandon Comedy in this, it's darkest hour?

I actually don't know who he is :(.
I don't think he's very well known over here.
He wasn't the first black guy to play white venues was he?

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 18:14:23

YAY - I got a signed photo of Russel Howard, (stand up comic and he is a regular in mock the week) :3
I want to get one of frankie boyle aswell:

The Stand Up Comedy Crew

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 18:23:32

At 8/12/08 10:48 AM, NEVR wrote: What impressed me most about him was that he was talking to people in the audience and improvising based on what he was talking with them about, rather than just spewing forth a pre-rehearsed act.

I assume you'd checked out Ross Noble?
His act is improv. brilliance :).

At 8/12/08 06:14 PM, sirtom93 wrote: YAY - I got a signed photo of Russel Howard, (stand up comic and he is a regular in mock the week) :3
I want to get one of frankie boyle aswell:

Coolio.
I'd rather have Russell's than Frankie's.
Frankie uses the same jokes too much. Brings him in down in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 18:47:17

Everyone here is missing the point.

TONIGHT AT 10PM DMITRI MARTIN IS ON COMEDY CENTRAL.

Trust me, he's good.

NGMAC

NG Naruto RP Crew

PM me Sig Requests

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 19:14:21

Coolio.
I'd rather have Russell's than Frankie's.
Frankie uses the same jokes too much. Brings him in down in my opinion.

I dunno, I have only seen him on mock the week, extremely crude jokes of his make me laugh XD

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-12 19:32:05

At 8/12/08 07:14 PM, sirtom93 wrote: I dunno, I have only seen him on mock the week, extremely crude jokes of his make me laugh XD

He's used the joke about Gordon Brown looking like a scrotum twice this series of Mock the Week. And he used it on 8 out of 10 Cats like two weeks before.
And he's used the one about Winehouse looking like a horse a bit too.

His crude stuff is good though.
Its just that aspect annoys me a bit :P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-13 10:06:04

It might just be where I live, but what is "Mock the Week"? I don't think it shows in the States, or maybe just not in my region. What country is it from?

Oh, and I agree that Dmitri Martin is funny, but his special has been showing on comedy central pretty much every week for the past 6 months, so I don't see the need to get too exited about it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stand Up Comedy Crew 2008-08-13 10:57:47

At 8/13/08 10:06 AM, dub-mass wrote: It might just be where I live, but what is "Mock the Week"? I don't think it shows in the States, or maybe just not in my region. What country is it from?

It's a TV show in Britain.
It's just a panel comedy show where the points go to the funniest team as opposed to the correct ones. Has a lot of stand ups on as guests and theres like Stand Up rounds and improv rounds and stuff.

BBS Signature