00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Police Dept.

988,473 Views | 16,867 Replies

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:15:32

At 3/16/09 08:07 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: In all honesty I don't understand why they were so against those threads. I mean that's what the whistle system is for. If people were mass flagging things that shouldn't be whistled, then their whistle goes to garbage. It only had positive results in my mind.

it wasn't about the mass voting: it was due to the Flame-wars that broke out. Someone would post something and they would say it was abusive, then someone else would say it's not abusive. Throw in a few names, and bam>>flame-war.

At one point I remember, one of the mods poated in there and said that if something was not abusive, don't say so. It was up to the people to actually look at what they were flagging and it would prevent a war from starting.

Alas, no one listens and the Thread is locked forever :/

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:27:21

Yup. But, hey, what do you expect. After Rage abandoned it, it became a club by noobs, for noobs. It was World War I on the BBS XD. But seriously, you had to figure something would happen. The only thing I don't like about the whistle is that I want to know how far i am from repairing my garbage whistle ;(. Really bad D:

XD

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:30:15

At 3/16/09 08:27 PM, Ninja-Without-Sight wrote: Yup. But, hey, what do you expect. After Rage abandoned it, it became a club by noobs, for noobs. It was World War I on the BBS XD. But seriously, you had to figure something would happen. The only thing I don't like about the whistle is that I want to know how far i am from repairing my garbage whistle ;(. Really bad D:
XD

Yea I really wish they would have a point system up for whistles. How many points you have, how many you need to get to the next one etc...

I mean they put up the points for B/P and exp. points, they don't just give you a level...

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:31:33

At 3/16/09 08:07 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: In all honesty I don't understand why they were so against those threads. I mean that's what the whistle system is for. If people were mass flagging things that shouldn't be whistled, then their whistle goes to garbage. It only had positive results in my mind.

Well the way I see it, one of the biggest problems was that new users didn't know any better and flagged everything that was handed to them. Subsequently they got so far down into garbage that as time passed and they became less noobish, it was already too late to have any hope of recovering. There are definitely other issues as well, no question there. I remember seeing so many people here struggling with garbage whistles in the past. A respected ex-NGPD even went so far as to making a new account altogether because the EGB wouldn't take him for his garbage whistle and he had already spent months trying to get back to normal - with no sign of success.

Now, I'd have to say that most of them deserved to get garbage for being careless and "autopiloting" through the reviews. However, early mistakes often do not yield second chances as far as whistles are concerned. I'd also say that the mods were getting fed up with checking on reviews that were too old or just not abusive at all.

Just my two cents there.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:34:09

I gotta stop typing in big ass paragraphs...

-___-

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:41:07

At 3/16/09 08:34 PM, TailsPrower wrote: I gotta stop typing in big ass paragraphs...

-___-

Well, at least what's in those paragraphs isnt irrelevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:44:44

At 3/16/09 08:34 PM, TailsPrower wrote: I gotta stop typing in big ass paragraphs...

-___-

Its' okay Tails. We are one of few groups who read big ass paragraphs. XD. Now, where the hell is mah damn roster? I went up a bunch, and I need it publicized!!

Please and thank you :)

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:49:59

At 3/16/09 08:44 PM, Ninja-Without-Sight wrote:
Its' okay Tails. We are one of few groups who read big ass paragraphs. XD. Now, where the hell is mah damn roster? I went up a bunch, and I need it publicized!!

Does someone need a little attention from being so good at B/Ping? How cute...
<(" ) <( " )> ( ")>

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 20:55:45

At 3/16/09 08:44 PM, Ninja-Without-Sight wrote:

-___-

Saturday. Wait like the rest of us.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:03:36

yes you do. Also, what's been going on in the NGPD?

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:04:34

-___-

Don't worry, we read them. :) Anyway, it's better than posting liek dis.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:08:52

At 3/16/09 09:03 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: yes you do. Also, what's been going on in the NGPD?

Krev's gone, Tails gave us all a stern talking-to, two people to anally violate with fruits/vegetables.
Gist, really...

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:20:41

At 3/16/09 09:08 PM, Crusher117 wrote: two people to anally violate with fruits/vegetables.

good thing this is online...

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:25:55

At 3/16/09 09:08 PM, Crusher117 wrote:
At 3/16/09 09:03 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: yes you do. Also, what's been going on in the NGPD?
Krev's gone, Tails gave us all a stern talking-to, two people to anally violate with fruits/vegetables.
Gist, really...

I call anything to do with the pineapple. Hmm pineappleassrape.

On the discussion of whistle points displaying : http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/9766 62/2

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:31:36

At 3/16/09 09:25 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: On the discussion of whistle points displaying : http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/9766 62/2

eh, in my opinion, I believe that the whistle should stay as/is. If it wasn't the way it is now, people would just whore for that too. I believe at least without a point system showing, it makes people learn about what is abusive, and makes them work at it not for their own sake, but for the sake of the rest of NG

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:54:16

At 3/16/09 09:31 PM, sinskae wrote:
eh, in my opinion, I believe that the whistle should stay as/is. If it wasn't the way it is now, people would just whore for that too. I believe at least without a point system showing, it makes people learn about what is abusive, and makes them work at it not for their own sake, but for the sake of the rest of NG

point taken, playing devil's advocate, stat whores are how a lot of newgrounds keeps running. think you'd get 200 some odd votes on your flash without b/p points? the new flash would come before the old flash passed. and hey, who cares if people stat whore if it keeps stolen shit off newgrounds?

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 21:59:55

At 3/16/09 09:54 PM, TheSongSalad wrote:
point taken, playing devil's advocate, stat whores are how a lot of newgrounds keeps running. think you'd get 200 some odd votes on your flash without b/p points? the new flash would come before the old flash passed. and hey, who cares if people stat whore if it keeps stolen shit off newgrounds?

I don't care about stat whoring, I'm just saying that something like flagging abusive stuff really should be more about moral rather than stat whoring. You got those whistle whores out there, but they, in my opinion, are not as hardcore as other types of stat whores. Maybe because their choice of whoring is harder, and that my friend, is because they don't know how many points to get. And that will keep them flagging.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:03:10

At 3/16/09 09:31 PM, sinskae wrote: If it wasn't the way it is now, people would just whore for that too.

I think the reason people don't whore for it too much these days is because it barely gives you anything. If you don't like whistling flashes, than what's the point of getting your points up if you're not gonna want to use them?

Only the people who would care about spam and clearing up the portal would care about whistle, either way. It would only help those of us who care about the portal.

Also, who cares if people whore? If they do it badly, then they get a bad whistle status, nobody listens to them either way, because they're unimportant! If they whore well, and flag truly abusive content, then they get their whistle points up while helping the clean-up process of NG. Spam groups would have a harder time, etc. etc.

To put it simply, I think it's a good idea. There's nothing wrong with whoring if it helps the site.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:08:28

At 3/16/09 10:03 PM, Elder500 wrote:

but hey, think of it this way, if people can't see flag points, and they flag and go to garbage, then they will have to correct their ways and become better flaggers. and in the end, that means they have to flag for longer.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:09:17

At 3/16/09 10:03 PM, Elder500 wrote: If they do it badly, then they get a bad whistle status, nobody listens to them either way, because they're unimportant! If they whore well, and flag truly abusive content, then they get their whistle points up while helping the clean-up process of NG.

on the other hand, i have a crap whistle and no idea why. my best guess is no one but me flagged something abusive/stolen, and thus i lost whistle points when it passed?

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:13:59

At 3/16/09 10:09 PM, TheSongSalad wrote:
on the other hand, i have a crap whistle and no idea why. my best guess is no one but me flagged something abusive/stolen, and thus i lost whistle points when it passed?

eh, i don't think that's how it works. I think either you flagged borderline abusive stuff and the mod let it go, or you flagged old stuff.

I once spent a day flagging and I went from Silver to Garbage...and I swear the everything I flagged was abusive. But I guess that's the way things go...

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:16:36

At 3/16/09 10:13 PM, sinskae wrote:

:But I guess that's the way things go...

i get that, but what i'm saying is if you could see your points, than maybe you would see, hey i'm losing my status from (insert flagging activity here) and you would stop. with such a quick drop off from good whistle to bad whistle, i think it would be helpful to see what does what for you.:)

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:17:57

Flagging is definitely an important part of Newgrounds. But there are times that I wish there was a visible point system.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there shouldn't be one for there would be stat whoring and people would not whistle well. But it is annoying not knowing whether or not you are getting points for flagging an abusive review, or if your close to a better whistle.

But then again, I rarely flag. Mostly because I fear that I will get a garbage whistle. But maybe that is a good thing. That is that it prevents people from abusing their power of the whistle.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:19:02

At 3/16/09 10:08 PM, sinskae wrote: but hey, think of it this way, if people can't see flag points, and they flag and go to garbage, then they will have to correct their ways and become better flaggers. and in the end, that means they have to flag for longer.

I see what you mean, they'll have to flag and figure it out by themselves. That way, they understand. But, with the points, they'll be able to see what's the difference between good/bad flagging, faster. All that means is that they'll help the site faster. If they want to learn, why not teach them? In the end, it'll only help the site. :\

At 3/16/09 10:09 PM, TheSongSalad wrote: on the other hand, i have a crap whistle and no idea why. my best guess is no one but me flagged something abusive/stolen, and thus i lost whistle points when it passed?

I'm not sure if you can lose points that way. I honestly don't know, someone else like mwmike or Tails would probably tell you.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:24:39

At 3/16/09 10:19 PM, Elder500 wrote:
At 3/16/09 10:08 PM, sinskae wrote: but hey, think of it this way, if people can't see flag points, and they flag and go to garbage, then they will have to correct their ways and become better flaggers. and in the end, that means they have to flag for longer.
I see what you mean, they'll have to flag and figure it out by themselves. That way, they understand. But, with the points, they'll be able to see what's the difference between good/bad flagging, faster. All that means is that they'll help the site faster. If they want to learn, why not teach them? In the end, it'll only help the site. :\

Your 100% right, but no matter what way the system works, they will be those that abuse it; in both cases, you have people, once achieving desired whistle, they will stop.

At 3/16/09 10:09 PM, TheSongSalad wrote: on the other hand, i have a crap whistle and no idea why. my best guess is no one but me flagged something abusive/stolen, and thus i lost whistle points when it passed?
I'm not sure if you can lose points that way. I honestly don't know, someone else like mwmike or Tails would probably tell you.

I have never heard of someone losing points that way. I'm sure you can find your answer under the NG faq

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:30:11

At 3/16/09 10:19 PM, Elder500 wrote:

If you whistle a flash as being stolen or abusive and it passes, then I believe you lose whistle points. And if you flag a review and it is considered not flag worthy then I believe you also lose points. But one shouldn't get discouraged to using their whistle if they are doing it to help the site rather then whistle level. If one tries to help the site then they can judge fairly and with no fear of losing whistle level.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:33:41

At 3/16/09 10:24 PM, sinskae wrote: Your 100% right, but no matter what way the system works, they will be those that abuse it; in both cases, you have people, once achieving desired whistle, they will stop.

You're right, people will stop then. I hadn't really thought about that. :)

Too bad people won't see clubs like this one. Barely any of the NG population goes on the BBS.

This club actually motivates me to get my whistle/BP up, before I really didn't care, it was just a side effort against spam.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:33:52

Alright, all of the following comes from Mr. Crawford, creator of NGPD. He is currently banned and wants me to post the following message to Tails:

At 3/16/09 05:12 PM, TailsPrower wrote:
I'll give sinskae that much, I respect the fact that he was honest about his decision. But I'm really getting tired of all this bullshit going down just because people are putting practicality above integrity. Upon Crawford's foundation, I built a group that stands for honesty and fairness, not what is essentially corruptness for the sake of efficiency.

This is the last time I'll address this topic. If anyone else feels compelled to begin or continue the unacceptable act of voting on UJ flashes without bothering to watch it first, then feel free to follow sinskae. The NGPD has no need for those kinds of people and I sure as hell don't. I'd rather have a few good, honest member than a prejudiced battalion. Of course, you could lie to me and I'll never know the better; the choice is up to you.

So, you're going to reduce this to a closed debate in which idealism triumphs over pragmatism? And you're going to invoke MY name without asking whether or not this a group to which I want to contribute MY foundation? Now, now my dear boy, if you truly believe you're going to be able to do this without a fight, you're sorely mistaken.

Moreover, I don't particularly like being ignored. Call me an attention whore or whatever you think sufficiently sullies your conceptualization as to what I constitute. That being said, I hope that both you and the more intelligent members of this club realize that I quite patently don't mean this for my own sake. Never my own.

Now onto business, that is if Tails is man enough to respond rather than hide behind his stubborn declaration - the practice of blocking one's ears and rocking autistically back and forth. I don't think this should be a problem. Tails so values his honor that it would be foolish of him to stand and be called a coward and not answer my call. Quite simply, Tails, I do not think you are fit to continue leading as you have. Whether this leads to upheaval, reconstitution or even the death of this club know that I care not, so long as you no longer take yourself with the twisted sense of importance and reality you ascribe to this place.

The NGPD is, and I will emphasize this point over and over if need be, NOT the EGB. We are not a regiment who get swelled heads because of a high BP count. Hell, the fact that we formed together out of a need for camaraderie within those lower down on the scale is the polar opposite of this. I don't mind if a member decides to level out of the club and be discharged, but this club is NOT about him, NOT about leveling out and most certainly NOT about TRAINING members to be good little uniform thinkers.

Now you can rest back and say all you want about having your own ethos, and how you never really used a show of authority in the case of sinskae. But I'll tell you right now, what you did was still wrong. You should discuss it with him, give him your point of view, and leave it. Offering the door caused you to lose a good officer and a friend to many people in the club, and your actions have caused more harm than good. For the loss of an officer with voting policies you don't share (and for the sake of causing a public show of your solidarity as leader, I suppose), you have lost a good contributor to the club and the friend to many people. Moreover, you've displayed an arrogant "We don't need you, so fuck off" attitude that reflects poorly on you as a leader, contrary to what I believe your statement was geared towards conveying.

You've tried with this new thread and edgy, professional image to create something entirely contrary to my intent, which was a relaxed lounge where people of a certain rank could learn the ropes and not feel alone in the seething mass of 60,000+ BP members on the forum. To encourage people who were new and foster friendship. You've turned this into a regiment, and I don't fucking appreciate it.

This is a coup d'etat, and I'm at the head of it all. You don't like it, that's tough shit. You better bring some big guns to the negotiating table. I don't lose easy.

And remember. This is all srs bzns.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:34:21

Here's the thing though, even if people want to be stat whores on the whistle, it doesn't really matter because you can't get past deity anyway.

And you know people are gonna be stat whores about everything anyways. I'm sure people flag reviews just to get that deity whistle. Should we eliminate it because people want the deity whistle?

All this is about is just wanting to be able to see where you're at as far as whistling goes, and getting a feel for what you're doing right or wrong.

Response to Newgrounds Police Dept. 2009-03-16 22:34:22

Sorry for the double post.

Sorry, completely disregard my last post. I was mistaken. One can only lose whistle points if the submission or reviews gain enough abusive votes for the moderators to look at and is considered non abusive.

If someone blows a whistle and there are not enough votes to be put under review, one will not be penalized.

BBS Signature