00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GaboRabo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who uses Garageband here at NG?

17,755 Views | 335 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 20:00:45

I still like Garageband- it's easy for me to record into and do some (very rough) mixing stuff in.

And if you play around in it and take the time, you can make stuff that's unique sounding. Plus, the midi stuff can be written in musical notation on a grand staff, which was a big plus for me because it meant that while i was playing around in Garageband, I'd also be learning to read music quicker.

Still really don't like FatKid's music, though...it's devoid of creativity, it's boring, and he uses those corny sounding preset synths.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 20:11:53

At 1/15/08 08:00 PM, kevs91 wrote: Still really don't like FatKid's music, though...it's devoid of creativity, it's boring, and he uses those corny sounding preset synths.

Congratulations! You've abstracted the whole threads purpose from the mindless chatter! Take note everyone, this line is really what the thread is about.

Its not about Garageband. It's about FKWAJP's music, using GarageBand as a conduit. Of course, we discuss Garageband, as it is useful for basic recording and mixing, but this thread is really about discussing WHAT MUSIC WILL YOU GET IF YOU USE GARAGEBAND AS A DAW? More specifically, Fatty's music!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 21:18:51

I see you have failed to even bother listening to my songs, I used pre-set loops in my earlier songs, but my current ones like, (::Sleep::) (::Rebirth Od Stars::) (::Towards The sun::) =FINAL= (exact titles BTW)

You seriously are a strange person to think that I use Garageband as a DAW, and that that I would create a thread against me. Maybe you should try actually listening to those songs and looking at the very first post for this thread.

Congratulations, you have yet to see what this thread is about.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 21:21:40

At 1/15/08 09:18 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I see you have failed to even bother listening to my songs, I used pre-set loops in my earlier songs, but my current ones like, (::Sleep::) (::Rebirth Od Stars::) (::Towards The sun::) =FINAL= (exact titles BTW)

I've heard your recent songs.

You seriously are a strange person to think that I use Garageband as a DAW, and that that I would create a thread against me. Maybe you should try actually listening to those songs and looking at the very first post for this thread.

You DO use GarageBand as a DAW. Its a Digital Audio Workstation, aka a program that you use to make music with. Looking at the first post, I see an advertisement for all of your music, and an advertisement for Logic. I think this thread should be locked.

Congratulations, you have yet to see what this thread is about.

No, it is you who fails to see what it has become.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 21:24:27

If you have heard those songs, then why the hell are you mad at me?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 21:30:07

Ok Ok, I want to clear things up with a couple of questions.

Do you think I work hard on my songs?

What don't you like about my music?

Do you think I would be able to do better in Logic?

What do you have against me for trying to create?

Please answer those.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 21:39:25

At 1/15/08 09:30 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Do you think I work hard on my songs?

No, considering the release time between songs. It takes some of us months to make songs, and you churn them out quick as hell.

The fact that you use crappy Garageband preset synths to make boring, slow tracks, that show no knowledge of theory whatsoever.

YES. Logic is an actual audio DAW, unlike Garageband.

The fact that you are using Garageband presets, and trying to seem so innocent and whatever. It doesn't work. I have nothing against audio artists, but I do have problems with people who think that using all GarageBand with no AUs is perfectly alright. You are aware that the programmers are talented, in making samples that can be arranged well. It doesn't mean Garageband users are talented.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 21:51:42

Ok, good.

I understand the pre-set thing, but I don't get what you have against using pre-set instruments. That is all I use "pre-set" wise now, but I play it all by hand! That is why I think I work hard on my songs. It is like saying I didn't make a piano song because I played a pre-set piano. But I just HATE to argue like this.

I am not trying to act inicent, I obviously just don't understand how to make true music. I always have known that, and I am just experimenting. A lot of people seem to like my music, so I stick with it. I am getting Logic though, so I will see what I can do. Any tips that you can provide?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 21:55:56

At 1/15/08 09:30 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Ok Ok, I want to clear things up with a couple of questions.

Do you think I work hard on my songs?

Not at all. a lot of your songs are ambient melodies which are loaded in whole notes. You don't even bother trying to create drums. Sure, some people like ambient music and in some cases its good, but it's just quite generally a really easy genre for anyone with the free synths at their fingertips to create. Most of your more interesting stuff is made out of samples, but considering that they are samples made by other people and not yourself, it's not really 100% your own original work. When you upload a song to newgrounds you make the claim that it's your own.

Of course, you can try to argue that those samples are there for you to use in your production, and you would be correct, but there's a fine line between using those samples to accent your work and using those samples to become your work. What I'm trying to say is that using samples is not always acceptable. As per that track "run with me" which is primarily the free garage band track "cat walk," I don't understand why your so stubborn on whether or not that is in fact your track. It isn't. Smosh used that song without claiming that it was their own work, they do not claim ownership of the free garage band track "cat walk." When you submit a track to newgrounds on the other hand, you do make this claim.

You might be wondering why garage band would even incorperate these samples into garage band. Well, for the most part, these samples are ment to give video artists/ podcasters the ability to easily create royalty free background music in their productions with little or no experience. If you use iMovie, you'll notice how easy it is to drag and drop audio/samples into the video.

Some of it isn't yours, and the remainder that is just isn't that interesting. It's redundant, it's simple, it's too predictable and it has no variation. Ambient music is generally a simple genre. It can be nice, but I wouldn't dedicate my musical endeavors towards perfecting a genre that is known for it's simplicity.

If you put forth the time to learn how to make different styles of music and were truely interested than yeah, you could do better, but if you're just into ambient music, I'd recommend sticking to garage band and saving your money. Logic studio is a program for people who are serious, I'd have to ask how serious you are about producing electronic music.

You're stubborn attitude and negligence towards common sense and reason. Also, I wouldn't use the word "create" because when you use that word, it almost sounds like your trying to compare your work to that of an artists. Believe me, you have along ways to go before you should start taking your work that seriously.

Aside from that, it's not that I have something against you for trying to make music. I have something against you as a person. You disregard everything other people say, and you discredit them when really they have all the proof and credit they need. You're a fool. It's as if you think you can hide the truth when really your BS is so glaringly obvious. I think your just upset because I'm right.

Please answer those.

Answered.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 22:12:47

Some things are bothering me about that... why the hell would you have something against someone as a person over the internet, when simply typing without giving any information about me is the only thing that I can do? Well bravo my friend bravo.

And if you were right, i would stop arguing. I think you are right in the fact that I am not a true artist, but looks who is talking. I have listened to your songs, and honestly I don't like them. That is my opinion, and I don't care if you don't like mine. Their beats don't fit well when I listen to them and they sound so dull. That is the reason I only like certain genres though, so it probably has nothing to do with your music. BUT, you are no where CLOSE to becoming an artist in the way you speak of an artist. If you were, wouldn't you have some stuff on the front page and be known on the audio portal by now?

That is a reason I strongly disbelieve that you are 18. An 18 year old would be mature enough to stop insulting a random person over the internet. It is different for me, while I have much free time and am at the age I provide in my description. That is the only evidence you have of my logic and reasoning. I am really fed up with you man, insulting not only me, but my music. I make it for fun, not to try to become leader of the audio portal or anything.

I have only been creating music now for 6 months, nothing to brag about. I first started using pre-set loops to see what people thought about my style. I got some favs, then moved on to the next step of playing limited music with only an apple keyboard. I still don't have a piano to play, but i am about to get one along with Logic. Now, I think I have the gist of it. People are really complementing me on my songs, and I have 34 favs so far. I am now going to spend about 2 weeks on one song in Logic Studio.

So, what I have said before, and I will say it again, I DO NOT STEAL ANY SONGS AND WORK HARD ON MY SONGS LIKE MOST ARTISTS HERE. i might not spend 2 months on songs, but I am not at that level yet. My music being creative or not has been told to me many times, yes. But, some like you seem not to like my style. That is your opinion and I have nothing against it. What I do have against is your publicity to say my music sucks. If you have some hateful comment like that, keep it to yourself. i could go all out, but it would be a waste of even more energy than what I am already typing.

Now then, what hateful comments do you have to say next to piss me off and disencourage me to make music?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 22:21:51

At 1/14/08 06:45 PM, Spike66 wrote: Ableton Live is my favorite.

That program makes me ejaculate over myself.

Though this is completely off topic, we ought to collab sometime. :D

Everyone should shut up. I mean I did say some hateful things about Garageband but damn, you guys need to lighten up a bit. The kid is an amatuer who's only using Garageband until he gets Logic. Now I think he's speaking a bit high of the program, but you don't need to get so mad about it. This thread needs to be soft locked or something because it's no better than the hip hop thread.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 22:28:24

My god you very very right. i have been trying to say this, but for some reason Quarl keeps wamming my face in hate and disgrace. I already put my final argument above you and I am simply NOT going to respond to anything else regarding that matter.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 22:47:20

At 1/15/08 10:12 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: And if you were right, i would stop arguing. I think you are right in the fact that I am not a true artist, but looks who is talking. I have listened to your songs, and honestly I don't like them.

Alright, blah blah blah. Let's get to the good part.

BUT, you are no where CLOSE to becoming an artist in the way you speak of an artist. If you were, wouldn't you have some stuff on the front page and be known on the audio portal by now?

LMFAO
Dude, being a "real artist" is NOT based on how many songs you have on the front page. I, for one, have NEVER been on the front page or the top 5. Are you calling me less of a musician? Are you saying I don't make good music?
Quarl is a well-respected individual within the AP. He is supportive of musicians in the portal, giving them good advice and constructive criticism. He uses ALL of Garageband to make his stuff, exploiting all kinds of different methods the limited program offers. You don't. You're lazy with it - you just pick cool-sounding loops and slap them together.

That is a reason I strongly disbelieve that you are 18.

Ever browsed through the "audio ppl piccies" thread? How old do you THINK he is?

An 18 year old would be mature enough to stop insulting a random person over the internet. It is different for me, while I have much free time and am at the age I provide in my description.

So you're saying that you're allowed to insult people because you have free time?

That is the only evidence you have of my logic and reasoning. I am really fed up with you man, insulting not only me, but my music. I make it for fun, not to try to become leader of the audio portal or anything.

Judging by your excessive music whoring both here and the Underdog list, I disbelieve you.

So, what I have said before, and I will say it again, I DO NOT STEAL ANY SONGS AND WORK HARD ON MY SONGS LIKE MOST ARTISTS HERE. i might not spend 2 months on songs, but I am not at that level yet.

You basically posted the Garageband Demo song, without even attributing it.

Quarl started out trying to give you advice - he knows his stuff about Garageband. You got all defensive and refused to listen. Ever heard of something called "constructive criticism?" He wanted to help you and you took it the wrong way. Then things got out of control.

Just accept the fact that you're new to music and that people can tell you're using other people's loops. Quarl had good advice on how to disguise it - maybe you should accept it.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 22:50:01

At 1/15/08 10:12 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

That is a reason I strongly disbelieve that you are 18. An 18 year old would be mature enough to stop insulting a random person over the internet. It is different for me, while I have much free time and am at the age I provide in my description. That is the only evidence you have of my logic and reasoning. I am really fed up with you man, insulting not only me, but my music. I make it for fun, not to try to become leader of the audio portal or anything.

I can vouch he is 18. Seeing as I am two months younger than him and I'm 18. And to him, you aren't some random person. You're a kid who keeps getting caught in his lies and is trying to shift the topics from subject to subject hoping to create a messy web so everyone ends up seeing their wrongs and how you were the sole truthful being involved in all of this.

Also, bullshit trying not to gain some leadership in the AP, having some fucking kids nominate you for the "Underdog" status. You want to be an underdog champ who comes up and wows everyone with his amazing music and inspires greatness into our pitiful lives that pale in comparison to yours now.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 23:04:29

Personally I'm on Quarl's Side. I'm sorry I missed all the fighting because I would have had plenty of shit to say.
I use Garageband like you FKWAJP, and I agree that it's a fine program for making music. Everyone complains about you using pre-set instruments, but I often do aswell. Is it because I have no talent or a lack of skill? No. Is it because I don't want to spend 30 minutes perfecting the reverb on each one of my 12 instruments? Yes. Could I do that if I so chose? Yes. Do I have better things to do with my time? Yes. But, quite frankly, I think you have delusions about your own skill. I would seriously doubt that you could read music, and if you can, which I'm sure is what you are about to frantically tell me, then proabably not very well considering you're 15. I think you have little more talent than someone who has never picked up an instrument in his life, and trust me I know. I'm in a garageband class for high schoolers and the football player sitting next to me who has not one artistic bone in his massive neanderthal body makes ambient tracks everyday that sound much like yours. Instead, you replace your lack of natural ability with a frenzy of time and effort spent on each one of your predictable and boring ambient tracks. I don't have respect for you as an "artist", or lack there-of, and I'm embarrased of the burden all garageband users must now bare because of your artless exploits on this forum and your oafish comments in this thread.

Click the Sig for mind expanding Hip-Hop

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 23:09:10

At 1/15/08 11:04 PM, timpinisucks wrote: The Truth.

YES.

not caps

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-15 23:20:54

PAWNED.

I believe this discussion is over. We realize you're just trying to pretend. So... stop pretending we don't know anything and you're better than us, that little condescending thing you do. We don't fall for it and you're not very good at all.

Who uses Garageband here at NG?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 00:50:15

That was an insanely lame and awesome way to let someone know they have been bested. I love it.

Click the Sig for mind expanding Hip-Hop

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 04:48:05

First off, a song dedicated to all the man-whores of NG: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 05771

Now for some advice.

Irregardless of what tool you're using, as stated somewhere in this forum, ultimately, it's not the tool, but the artist. As mentioned earlier, Garageband may have some shortcomings, but there are ways to make it sound better. If you want it free, there's Audacity.

Now, if you've used presets or "rips", AT LEAST acknowledge your source properly. See the comments box on the link I posted for a sample.

You had a nice marketing thing going (others would say it's whoring), but it's no different from the TV ads with claims from some random guy or chick, pushing it's a good product.

I'll be frank with you -- I don't think you deserve to be in the top five or best of all-time YET. If you just want that as an achievement, then you have to earn it with blood and tears. No shortcuts, period.

I only have eight songs up (and two of which, thank God, made it to the weekly top 5), and there were no shortcuts. Those were weeks and ridiculous hours tweaking (and it's still not perfect). I also had to bear ALL the critics (someone once told me I can't sing). What did I do after? Try again and learn. I only marketed afterwards, and I did this LEGALLY via PM-ing my fanbase (yes, I send one PM per fan everytime I have a new release) and the Audio Ads Thread.

I'm also glad meneldil gave me a kickstart by mentioning me in the Underdogs list. I didn't know someone from Poland would like what I did. I also got random PM's, but only AFTER GOING THROUGH HEAVEN AND HELL creating the songs I posted.

Sincerity begets sincerity -- remember this well.

If you want to go to the next level, take it a step at a time. No shortcuts; it'll make a fool out of you (and as you can see, you already have gained notoriety, rather than the attention you want).

Okay, this is too big a post (and has already strayed far, far away from the main topic).

I've checked Apple, and it looks like Cakewalk. Hmm... maybe I'd play with that if I have a Mac.

I'm in <3 with Reason, though. ^_^

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 08:59:57

Also, bullshit trying not to gain some leadership in the AP, having some fucking kids nominate you for the "Underdog" status. You want to be an underdog champ who comes up and wows everyone with his amazing music and inspires greatness into our pitiful lives that pale in comparison to yours now.

I don't want to be an underdog... I told one of my fans, and he tld everyone else. I think they were just trying to piss people off.

Oh and I never get caught in lies because I don't lie. what made you think that I did?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 09:03:54

I use Garageband like you FKWAJP, and I agree that it's a fine program for making music. Everyone complains about you using pre-set instruments, but I often do aswell. Is it because I have no talent or a lack of skill? No. Is it because I don't want to spend 30 minutes perfecting the reverb on each one of my 12 instruments? Yes. Could I do that if I so chose? Yes. Do I have better things to do with my time? Yes. But, quite frankly, I think you have delusions about your own skill. I would seriously doubt that you could read music, and if you can, which I'm sure is what you are about to frantically tell me, then proabably not very well considering you're 15. I think you have little more talent than someone who has never picked up an instrument in his life, and trust me I know. I'm in a garageband class for high schoolers and the football player sitting next to me who has not one artistic bone in his massive neanderthal body makes ambient tracks everyday that sound much like yours. Instead, you replace your lack of natural ability with a frenzy of time and effort spent on each one of your predictable and boring ambient tracks. I don't have respect for you as an "artist", or lack there-of, and I'm embarrased of the burden all garageband users must now bare because of your artless exploits on this forum and your oafish comments in this thread.

Well, I answered pretty much everything like that before, and I can't read music. I don't really need to, I just listen, and learn to play those notes. But that is why I like Garageband, because you can play notes so easily. You just said the same basic thing thatb Quarl has ben saying. I have already admitted into not being a good audio artist.

You need to read the discussion before randomly joining in and making desicions based off your personility.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 09:05:59

At 1/15/08 11:20 PM, endlessnumber wrote: PAWNED.

I believe this discussion is over. We realize you're just trying to pretend. So... stop pretending we don't know anything and you're better than us, that little condescending thing you do. We don't fall for it and you're not very good at all.

Yet again, read my comments. I am not pretending. HOw could I pretend when I have already admitted?

And that picture isn't really an epic end to the discussion or anything, because the discussion already ended a while ago when I admitted to not being a ood audio artist. Read my longest one last page back, then you will get it. Well, maybe, that is for you to decide.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 12:01:56

Oh, and if I were you, I'd stop wasting time fighting back. Prove them wrong; make something that'll blow us away.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 13:32:02

probably is but doesn't matter im talking about who it belongs to not quality

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 13:42:34

At 1/16/08 01:32 PM, SonicFoxStrk wrote: probably is but doesn't matter im talking about who it belongs to not quality

All my songs belong to me, they are noobish, but I am a beginner in this music thing lol. But I am starting to get 4's on my songs, except my current ones... I am getting Logic Studio with some money I have been saving. I can't wait to try it out so I can finally make some really cool songs.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 13:44:56

At 1/16/08 12:01 PM, jnry3 wrote: Oh, and if I were you, I'd stop wasting time fighting back. Prove them wrong; make something that'll blow us away.

Well, I am not that experienced yet lol. I am just wanting to make sure nobody thinks i am a scam artist or anything lol.

Oh, I figured out that you can plug in a synthisizer to the mac and play it! But \, it has to be a certain kind, I have bbeeen trying to do that for months now.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 14:13:31

though i do agree you need to make some new things so these people get off your case

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 14:45:49

At 1/16/08 01:42 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: All my songs belong to me, they are noobish, but I am a beginner in this music thing lol. But I am starting to get 4's on my songs, except my current ones... I am getting Logic Studio with some money I have been saving. I can't wait to try it out so I can finally make some really cool songs.

Try the demo first. If it makes sense, buy it.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 17:06:47

At 1/16/08 08:59 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
I don't want to be an underdog... I told one of my fans, and he tld everyone else. I think they were just trying to piss people off.

Oh and I never get caught in lies because I don't lie. what made you think that I did?

Well

At 1/14/08 05:41 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
Nah, I only asked one, and he asked everyone else. I didn't ask all my fav's. I think they were just trying to be funny or something. WHatever, this thread isn't even supposed to still be here. I just asked the Mod who started it. the underdog weas chosen a long time ago.

Don't know who though...

You don't "choose" an underdog there slick. Also, you've done a pretty good job of pissing people of one your own, I don't think you need your friends helping you much.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-16 17:56:20

At 1/16/08 02:45 PM, navij11 wrote: Try the demo first. If it makes sense, buy it.

Logic Studio 8 has a demo now?