00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

joker1222344 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who uses Garageband here at NG?

17,765 Views | 335 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-11 14:58:44

At 1/11/08 01:40 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Yes.

No.

Look for free AUs. Try to work them. Those are synths with oscillators. Garageband comes with a bunch of preset synths that you put shitty effects on. No oscillators.

This is what you need to learn. That is what he was referring to. Nowhere is "Synth Sync" mentioned as a waveform.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-11 18:05:56

Yes, it comes with one, and then with a free update you get MANY, Unless you are talking about something else.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-11 18:39:42

At 1/11/08 06:05 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Yes, it comes with one, and then with a free update you get MANY, Unless you are talking about something else.

I am. You obviously don't get it.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-11 22:19:02

One question, have you ever used Garageband?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-11 22:22:09

At 1/11/08 10:19 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: One question, have you ever used Garageband?

Yes, many times, for school.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-11 22:22:17

Have you ever made your own synths completely from scratch and then have someone try to tell you that their work (using preset, albeit configurable, ripoff synths) is as good as yours?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 11:22:05

If you mean me than no, but I have made synths from scratch, that is easy to do in Garageband.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 11:25:27

At 1/12/08 11:22 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: If you mean me than no, but I have made synths from scratch, that is easy to do in Garageband.

No, you haven't. Freaking god, download the Logic demo or something! GARAGEBAND SYNTHS ARE NOT FROM SCRATCH. The developers of Garageband were great artists. All you are doing is copying their work!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 13:39:29

At 1/12/08 11:22 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: If you mean me than no, but I have made synths from scratch, that is easy to do in Garageband.

It's impossible to make an original synth in Garageband. However, you can make a synth from scratch by loading some sort of AU in Garageband that when it loads it only has 1 OSC turned on with a saw or sine wave. Have you done that?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 14:57:11

At 1/12/08 11:25 AM, navij11 wrote:
No, you haven't. Freaking god, download the Logic demo or something! GARAGEBAND SYNTHS ARE NOT FROM SCRATCH. The developers of Garageband were great artists. All you are doing is copying their work!

Uh... no I am not. Look, Garageband has many synth creators that you can use to create awesome synths. I think you need to know a little bit more of Garageband than you do right now because you have been saying many incorrect things. Logic is even like Garageband. (Yes it is much freaking better)

Here is just one example of many synth makers that Garageband can make.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 15:01:24

At 1/12/08 01:39 PM, DSMagnum wrote:
It's impossible to make an original synth in Garageband. However, you can make a synth from scratch by loading some sort of AU in Garageband that when it loads it only has 1 OSC turned on with a saw or sine wave. Have you done that?

I don't know where you get that idea lol, here is another Au component that Garageband has to offer. Many original synths can be created. I am still experimenting with it now, and am about to make another song.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 15:39:44

At 1/12/08 02:57 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Here is just one example of many synth makers that Garageband can make.

That synth looks decent, actually. Looks like Synthmaker, IMO.

The second one... not so much!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 16:45:31

Lol, looks are deceiving. XD

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 17:49:28

As a response to a much earlier comment, my last post involving frustration with FL Studio was a semi-serious joke. Those were my first beligerant rants after starting the program, but I realize I could learn the solutions to those problems from a maual with relative ease, please don't argue with me about how wrong I am, I don't care about your opinions on the matter. I was making fun of myself, and no this isnt an alt account. I'm new, not stupid.

I think garageband is a fine musical program. I am of the persuasion that you can make very satisfying and entertaining music. (Especially for an audio portal such as newgrounds which is full of ANYTHING but experts.) I also agree though that the more complex pograms, such as Logic Pro (aswell as others who's names I can't recall), require a much larger depth of knowledge to operate correctly and can produce far more advanced music when in the proper hands, IF one takes the time to learn the program.

I would surmise that if two people with no knowledge of music creating programs were given a week to create a piece either on garage band or <insert a more advanced program here> the person using garage band would probably have a more interesting product due to the fact that they could easily transition from the learning stage to the mastery stage in the program. (Note: There is no such thing as stages, I'm just making this up, but I think you get the point). However if said people were given a month or a year, the more advanced program would far surpase garage band in the quality of the piece. I however don't wish to devote that much time to my hobby, though it is very fun.

Lastly, I give my props to the user who said he used Sibelius 5. That is a program for someone with SERIOUS musical skill. (If the stuff he makes isnt total crap anyway.)
An Analogy:
Lil' Jon mixes/writes/composes/(or what have you) his work on something like the programs we have been arguing about.
John Williams, Danny Elfman, or any other modern composer probably use Sibelius. Or possibly, they write the scores on coffee napkins. Or their hands.
Who do you think is more talented?

Click the Sig for mind expanding Hip-Hop

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 17:55:47

At 1/12/08 05:49 PM, timpinisucks wrote:
Lastly, I give my props to the user who said he used Sibelius 5. That is a program for someone with SERIOUS musical skill. (If the stuff he makes isnt total crap anyway.)

pshh, fuck Sibelius. Finale Not pad is where it's at :P

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 18:01:28

At 1/12/08 05:55 PM, Quarl wrote: pshh, fuck Sibelius. Finale Not pad is where it's at :P

You can have that opinion, but they're interchangeable in my eyes. I have them both, and the only point I'm trying to make is that you have to be a real fucking badass to make a decent sounding song on either. No home brewed techno shit is going to fly. Which includes everything I've ever created, mind you.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 18:35:49

HURRAY! More fighting!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 18:40:22

At 1/12/08 06:35 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: HURRAY! More fighting!

I wasn't fighting, I was agreeing with him and clarifying my point. But now I'm fighting with you.
Just kidding. But seriously.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 22:47:07

I know that is exactly what you were going to say lol.

well, I am glad to know that there are people who like Garageband. About 40% like it and 50% don't like it, but can deal with it. The other 10% just hate it because they don't have any experience and are making false judgments.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-12 23:33:22

At 1/12/08 06:01 PM, timpinisucks wrote:
At 1/12/08 05:55 PM, Quarl wrote: pshh, fuck Sibelius. Finale Not pad is where it's at :P
You can have that opinion, but they're interchangeable in my eyes. I have them both, and the only point I'm trying to make is that you have to be a real fucking badass to make a decent sounding song on either. No home brewed techno shit is going to fly. Which includes everything I've ever created, mind you.

Finale, Sibelius, Encore, Notion, and every other notation program out there (as far as I am aware of) is not intended to be used for playback. Although the samples are improving each version, they still aren't up to the quality of a dedicated software sample library. The purpose of these programs is to allow musicians to be able to compose music in standard notation format and print it out for it to be used by hand.

At any rate, I think Garageband is a very good "beginner" tool. Its interface is well thought out, and everything is very simple and straight-forward. I do think, however, that once you start adding in the jam packs, you're getting ripped off big-time. 5 jam packs cost you $500. They do have some nice loops, but many of them are sub-par and have limited use, and all of the samples minus a select few are ho-hum at best.

If you are going to spend that money, it'd be better to purchase a software sampler like Kontakt 3 and a watered-down version of a powerful sequencer (Sonar 7 studio comes to mind). It'd cost you an extra $100, but it would offer you FAR more features, sound quality, and a lot of growing room (at upgradable prices).

But hey, garageband as-is is really a great starting tool.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 00:06:24

I agree, Garageband isn't ALL THAT AND ZOMG or anything, but it is a very simple program that, when you put your mind to it, can create some really cool songs. And then when you want to step it up some more, don't buy jam packs, buy Logic or another program like Garageband.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 01:40:21

I like garageband because it came for free with my iMac.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 02:55:45

lol, I was just kidding about finale note pad. I have a friend who owns reason/ finale note pad. He's an amazing musician, but he can't figure out reason, so he just tabs up fully orchestrated ensambles in note pad. It's really funny, and kind of makes me mad. If I had reason, I'd be using that all the time.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 14:54:56

At 1/13/08 01:40 AM, YoinK wrote: I like garageband because it came for free with my iMac.

That's right!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 15:59:38

At 1/13/08 01:40 AM, YoinK wrote: I like garageband because it came for free with my iMac.

Yeah but you still sound like a cracker. :O

FatKidWithAJetPack: What version of Garageband are you using? The one I have didn't come with any synth AUs.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 16:10:48

I am using the last version of 2. Now they have 3 and 4, but I don't want to pay the few extra pents for the extra instruments lol.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 16:53:41

I also havent found the synth custimization menu and I have 2 versions of Garageband, though which two I can't say, I've never looked.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 18:15:40

Mind coughing up a link to these AUs?

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 20:40:32

Sure, but they only work on the mac, still want them?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-13 20:45:04

wow, your memory doesn't work past three posts. I use garage band in case you forgot. Send me the AUs.

quarl BandCamp