00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BorfDoggo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who uses Garageband here at NG?

17,716 Views | 335 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 10:22:28

At 1/1/08 08:04 PM, kevs91 wrote:
At 1/1/08 02:37 PM, Dark6 wrote:
Even if you did Garage Band dumbs down everything from what a real studio and equipment is like.
If I remember the equalizer says something like "bass, low mid, mid" and stupid shit like that.
Yeah, that's the normal equalizer. But with a bit of digging, there's a regular frequency (10 band, I think) equalizer that's less pretty but still very much there. That's pretty much the case with everything in Garageband- there's the simple way to do things, but with some digging around there's enough customization in there- you just need to work around stuff, unfortunately. Of course, this does disqualify Garageband as a "great" program, but for something that's free its really not bad.

Of course, with some digging around in Garageband you can find all kinds of features. I posted some screen shots earlier in the thread. Also, when you buy jam packs for the extreme price of 99$, Garageband adds TONS of features and is then considered a "great" program in whatever way "great" means for that sort of thing. =)

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 10:23:52

At 1/2/08 12:26 AM, B0UNC3 wrote:
At 1/1/08 06:27 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: And you can't possibly tell if I use equalizers or not unless you are a professional or something.
All thats needed to hear that is common sense and 2 working ears

No I didn't listen

Uhh... no. You have to listen VERY closley to tell if a song was equalized or not, because you never know if the song already sounded like that.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 10:32:22

At 1/1/08 09:03 PM, DSMagnum wrote:
At 1/1/08 06:27 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: You really need to read peoples comments on Garageband yo.
He probably did, and most of them were negative. I agree with him though. GarageBand dumbs things down a lot. In the long run, GarageBand is a hobbyist tool for a person with a lack of music skills. Yes you can do your own stuff in it, but half the work is done for you. It's really not that great of a program if you want to get serious with music.

I've never used a loop. I eq every song. I mix and remaster each demo I submit 2 or 3 times between uploading the full version to ng. I study music constantly. I plan to get a doctorate in music. i use Garageband. Does my price range determine my musical talents? I think not. Mozart was a debtor all of his life. He had a pauper's grave. Just because he had no money does not mean he was not a genius. You should think a little more before you speak.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 10:35:06

Mozart didn't have to bother with eq or mastering, making a good mix with right instrument levels etc etc

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 10:37:10

then let's put it in a different way. He's basically saying that if it's easy, it's not legit. When using staff paper, is it illegitimate to use staff paper that has lines already on it because you didn't draw them?

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 13:21:47

At 1/2/08 10:37 AM, MJTTOMB wrote: then let's put it in a different way. He's basically saying that if it's easy, it's not legit. When using staff paper, is it illegitimate to use staff paper that has lines already on it because you didn't draw them?

I see what you are saying, you are saying that just because a program might do something for you doesn't mean you don't know how to make music. Like mozart writing on a lined paper. Because the paper is lined, it is organizing his music for him. Nice. =P

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 15:37:24

Precisely my point.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 18:46:53

At 1/1/08 01:45 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

Uses Pre-sets and samples? I from that, I highly doubt you even considered to listen to my songs because I very rarely use a pre-set. I am now making my own loops and plugging them in as well as playing an actual synthisizer. And It is your opinion that it isn't a great program. I love it, that is why I started this thread. People who like it to join in. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that everyone else will too. Oh, and you have no evidence what so ever that I am "some kid" besides my age on NG. How do you know that is my real age?

lol. The song you uploaded "run with me" is just the garageband premade track "catwalk" with a few pads and samples thrown around. That was the only track I bothered listening to because I have a feeling all your tracks are that horribly stolen. Also, I don't care if you're some kid or some guy. Fact is, you're a horrible person for trying to get popular off of someone else's hard work. Those pre-made songs aren't there for you to claim as you're own, they're for independent film artists who need easy to access royalty free music for their videos using the iLife package as a jump start.

Fuck you. End argument. End thread.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-02 22:50:17

At 1/2/08 10:37 AM, MJTTOMB wrote: He's basically saying that if it's easy, it's not legit.

its not that its easy that makes it bad, its that you arent given all the features you need to truly make your own compositions. let me explain this in separate parts:

most ppl physically dont see any of the deeper functions, those who do have to struggle with them to eek out anything original, and once you get to a certain level of "easiness," [i.e. hardly tweaking presets] you physically don't put out stuff that's your own. taking a default loop/synth and distorting it a little bit, and then stacking like 10 of them together, is NOT original work.

the other downside is that even if there are synths and effects, you can't possibly get the width of variety that you can get from other professional programs like reason, logic, fl--because garageband physically doesn't have all teh features those programs do. i personally don't have a mac so i dont know much about it aside from toying with my friends' laptops, but show me a screenshot or something of how garageband has a complete array of...

Instruments: analog synths, graintable synths that let you actually edit the 1. waveforms, 2. filtering, 3. LFO, 4. velocity control, 5. phase, 6. FM, etc.

FX: limiters, maximizers, compressors, flangers, chorus, unison, vocoder, phasers, audio splitters and mergers, stereo imagers, distortion units, delay lines, reverb, parametric EQs, arpeggiators, formant/comb/lowpass/state variable filters.

--i really don't believe that garageband actually gives the artist most of these functions. if it did, id hope i heard more songs that use it, but so far, ive heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

and yes, i did listen to some of your stuff fatkid--i havent used garageband much, but i can tell theres a LOT of looping there--i listened to "Let Me Explain," and it just has a bunch of 2-4 measure loops that get added in over time and repeat themselves over and over again, with NO variation--a clear sign of loops--and the main drum beat for the first half, i could even recognize that from my friends' crap creations. come on now.

and all of this has been said before. would you please ANSWER apart from trolling and separating it, only answering one question-- "but it does let you arrange your own tracks!!" so what? thats a basic function of ANY sequencer, and if it's difficult to find and use for most people, how can that be "great?"

"and i made all of my music with garageband?" so what?? see what ive said before, and quarl too. *sigh*

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 00:50:37

At 12/30/07 12:06 PM, Quarl wrote: I use garage band but you don't see me running around telling people how awesome it is because I know how much it actually sucks in comparison to a real audio program.

Uh yeah, that's because a "real" audio program is at about ten times the price of the iLife package. You don't go around comparing Toyotas to Ferraris now do you?
Leave garaband alone. AFTER ALL IT'S BEEN THROUGH!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 01:00:31

At 1/2/08 10:50 PM, p4c wrote: i personally don't have a mac so i dont know much about it aside from toying with my friends' laptops, but show me a screenshot or something of how garageband has a complete array of...

Instruments: analog synths, graintable synths that let you actually edit the 1. waveforms, 2. filtering, 3. LFO, 4. velocity control, 5. phase, 6. FM, etc.

Holy shit! EXTERNAL AUDIO UNITS! No waaaaaaay josé?
Great little free soft-synth BTW.

Who uses Garageband here at NG?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 07:02:36

At 1/2/08 10:50 PM, p4c wrote:
At 1/2/08 10:37 AM, MJTTOMB wrote: He's basically saying that if it's easy, it's not legit.
its not that its easy that makes it bad, its that you arent given all the features you need to truly make your own compositions. let me explain this in separate parts:

most ppl physically dont see any of the deeper functions, those who do have to struggle with them to eek out anything original, and once you get to a certain level of "easiness," [i.e. hardly tweaking presets] you physically don't put out stuff that's your own. taking a default loop/synth and distorting it a little bit, and then stacking like 10 of them together, is NOT original work.

the other downside is that even if there are synths and effects, you can't possibly get the width of variety that you can get from other professional programs like reason, logic, fl--because garageband physically doesn't have all teh features those programs do. i personally don't have a mac so i dont know much about it aside from toying with my friends' laptops, but show me a screenshot or something of how garageband has a complete array of...

FX: limiters, maximizers, compressors, flangers, chorus, unison, vocoder, phasers, audio splitters and mergers, stereo imagers, distortion units, delay lines, reverb, parametric EQs, arpeggiators, formant/comb/lowpass/state variable filters.

--i really don't believe that garageband actually gives the artist most of these functions. if it did, id hope i heard more songs that use it, but so far, ive heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

and yes, i did listen to some of your stuff fatkid--i havent used garageband much, but i can tell theres a LOT of looping there--i listened to "Let Me Explain," and it just has a bunch of 2-4 measure loops that get added in over time and repeat themselves over and over again, with NO variation--a clear sign of loops--and the main drum beat for the first half, i could even recognize that from my friends' crap creations. come on now.

and all of this has been said before. would you please ANSWER apart from trolling and separating it, only answering one question-- "but it does let you arrange your own tracks!!" so what? thats a basic function of ANY sequencer, and if it's difficult to find and use for most people, how can that be "great?"

"and i made all of my music with garageband?" so what?? see what ive said before, and quarl too. *sigh*

I use the 31 and 10 band eq's constantly, they do exist. i will admit, the majority of people do not know these things exist. I do not use loops, none of my work is sampled. Arpeggiators are for people who are too lazy to actually write chords out for themselves, or just flat out too stupid to know what a chord is.

it has all of the following out of the effects that you mentioned:

compressors, flangers, chorus, phasers, distortion units, delay lines, reverb, parametric EQs, formant/comb/lowpass/state variable filters. (idk about these, but it has hipass and lowpass for certain.)

as for instruments, i'm not a techno artist, so i don't really care about any of those.

You need to stop acting like I'm the bad guy here. If someone even hints that my work is illegitemate, i feel a need to protect my work.

Anyway, I hope you'll lay off a bit, i'm starting to get tired of people stereotyping. I write my music on staff paper first, it doesn't go to garageband until i think it's done, at which point i edit it. It has enough features for a musician to get by, and using loops isn't the only way to use the program. that's all I'm saying.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 07:04:43

At 1/2/08 10:35 AM, SBB wrote: Mozart didn't have to bother with eq or mastering, making a good mix with right instrument levels etc etc

Can you imagine the sheer POWER he would have if he used FL studio? He did most of his stuff in his head, but imagine what he could accomplish with an automated, ready-to-play-at-your-fingertips orchestra!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 10:45:03

At 1/3/08 12:50 AM, vonDark wrote:
At 12/30/07 12:06 PM, Quarl wrote: I use garage band but you don't see me running around telling people how awesome it is because I know how much it actually sucks in comparison to a real audio program.
Uh yeah, that's because a "real" audio program is at about ten times the price of the iLife package. You don't go around comparing Toyotas to Ferraris now do you?

but you agree with me? Because more or less, you're statement was only asking for pity on garage band, not recognition. You're helping my argument...

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 12:18:59

At 1/3/08 10:45 AM, Quarl wrote:
At 1/3/08 12:50 AM, vonDark wrote:
but you agree with me? Because more or less, you're statement was only asking for pity on garage band, not recognition. You're helping my argument...

yeah lol u basically said garageband pretty much does suck, but its free so give me pity haha

i wasnt attacking you, i'm trying to show you that garageband doesnt have the functionality of other, more legitimate programs. and i waasn't attacking your music, i didnt listen to it, i was criticizing fatkid's stuff since he keeps blabbing about how his songs are all in garageband and amazing when they really arent very original at all. lol

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 13:58:06

Uh, Quarl; you do realize you are automattically saying all my songs are like run with me without even bothering to look at them? I made that one with that very long pre-set just for the club GWC and their game. I wasn't trying to make a huge song or anything. You really need more evidence. *_*

Oh and I am about to post more pictures of somke awesome audio units Garageband is capatable with .=)

But please Quarl, give my songs a chance.

Heck, there are only about 5 or 6 of my songs that have major pre-loops in them, but I was simply experimenting with them. Besides, it is pretty hard to even make pre-set loops sound good. I have seen Garageband people that just randomly put in pre-set loops and it sounds TERRIBLE. You have to have beat and rythem. That is what I do. But I am not a pro or anything, I do have 31 fav artists currently though, which is a pretty big deal for me.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 14:59:57

Hey fattie, I actualy did go back and listen to a bunch of your songs. None of the other ones I listened to were badly ripped like the first one, they were for the most part, original, but they were very minimal. Not alot of variancy. Really, you just took preset pads and played really easy melodies. There was nothing really impressive about any of it. I'm sorry for sounding insulting about your real work, but it's that one track you posted that really pisses me off. Fact is, I can post a fair replica of that track here on newgrounds, in around 30 minutes if I really wanted to. That was minimal work, and widely someone elses. The only thing you really did to catwalk was make it worse. Bah.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 17:13:28

That was minimal work, and widely someone elses. The only thing you really did to catwalk was make it worse. Bah.

That is your opinion I can understand that, but it took me 2 hours honestly to make it, but that is aconsiderably long time. And the melodies I play by the way aren't easy. They are pretty damn hard. But yes, my quarl is over with you quarl.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 18:18:29

At 1/3/08 05:13 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: That was minimal work, and widely someone elses. The only thing you really did to catwalk was make it worse. Bah.

That is your opinion I can understand that, but it took me 2 hours honestly to make it, but that is aconsiderably long time. And the melodies I play by the way aren't easy. They are pretty damn hard. But yes, my quarl is over with you quarl.

I hate to go against ya, but two hours isn't long. I spend entire weekends on my works, and some take up to a week, or even a month if I can keep my short attention span interested on the piece at hand.

You should really cut premade loops entirely.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 19:29:53

Oh yeah, i agree.
i usually do unless I have a deadline like
i did with that one for the Garbage whistle Crew. They just used it in a game. I usually spend 3 or 4 days on a song of course, but this was different. And i am considerably new at Garageband,
i have only been at it for... 5 months now. I haven't used a loop in a serious song for over 20 or 30 songs now. =)

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 19:56:33

At 1/3/08 05:13 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: That is your opinion I can understand that, but it took me 2 hours honestly to make it, but that is aconsiderably long time. And the melodies I play by the way aren't easy. They are pretty damn hard. But yes, my quarl is over with you quarl.

It takes me 2 hours to just get some of the samples I want just right.

Also, before someone else goes out on a tangent about me disliking GarageBand, let me restate that I've used it before. I used it for about a year before I finally got a different program. I used to love GarageBand, but now I hate it. Why? Because it's a very simple and weak program compared to what I use now. Yes it's much more expensive, but price doesn't really matter. It's the quality of the program that matters. What I've noticed from my change in programs is that my music is much more original and has more variety. It's no where near as limited and I can do what I want with it. You guys are really stuck up over a program. You should really know what you're talking about before you say something.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 20:31:38

What makes you think we don't?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-03 22:44:09

You're praising a program saying it's the best when you probably have never used any other program in your life.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-04 08:59:51

Yet again, what makes you think that? You have no evidence of me not using any other program. And I am not praising Garageband, I just really like it.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-04 13:49:01

At 1/4/08 08:59 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Yet again, what makes you think that? You have no evidence of me not using any other program. And I am not praising Garageband, I just really like it.

Well, we have to right to assume the things you neglect to mention. You got mad at me earlier for calling you a kid, while hypocriticaly kid is in your fucking sn. There is information you havn't given us, and we don't need it in order to realize that your full of it. I highly doubt you have used any other programs, and I highly doubt that your any one other than a kid.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-04 15:06:28

alright, you doubt then. =)

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-04 19:02:57

But please, let's not turn this into a savage debate, because it is completley different when debating online than it is in real life. Most who are on newgrounds think they know everything when they just appear to know a lot about the subject, let's just keep on discussing Garageband and not those who hate my music. (And I have found out that there are those who vote 0 on my stuff.. =( ) Here is a fact, I have used Garageband for 2 years, but have just used it seriously for 7 months now. I am just going to ignore a response to this so please don't respond.

/./././././././././././././././././././.
././././././././././././././..

Alright then, is there anybody who uses Logic Studio that can provide some screen shots? Or even Fruity Loops for that matter.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-04 22:23:38

At 1/3/08 10:45 AM, Quarl wrote: but you agree with me? Because more or less, you're statement was only asking for pity on garage band, not recognition. You're helping my argument...

Sigh, the worl is not just black and white. I'm not asking for pity, I'm asking for recognition at how great the package really is for what you pay. I'm can't even care to use my metaphore one more time.

But why the hell discuss, albums that are much greater than anything here on NG has been made on bloody four-tracks. I think we can all agree those are a lot "worse" (after the standards most of you seem to use) than garageband.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-04 22:29:26

At 1/4/08 10:23 PM, vonDark wrote: Sigh, the worl is not just black and white. I'm not asking for pity, I'm asking for recognition at how great the package really is for what you pay.

If someone gave me a free movie, I'd have more fun with that than if I bought a new Mac and got free Garageband. Garageband is good for the $0 you pay for it, but if I had to spend any money on it, and JUST it, I wouldn't, even if it was $1. I'd enjoy a bottle of coke much more.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2008-01-04 23:19:11

Very surprised. Have you ever used Garegabnd? It is a very decent program and I would pay a maxium of 150$ for it. That is the most it is worth though, I agree to that, but Garageband has many many features in it that you just can't acess by simply looking at it.

If you would rather buy a coke for 1$ than Garageband, you must have a very sad life my freind. =)