00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who uses Garageband here at NG?

17,770 Views | 335 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-14 21:52:17

1 - we'll leave that up to you

2 - He didn't

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 14:33:42

At 12/14/07 05:08 PM, Patcoola wrote: Garageband is a lot more powerfull than most people realize, it's not just a multi track editor/mixer, it's also a composer, you can write music with music notes/scores or use a keyboard, if you dont have a keyboard you can use you computers keyboard.

after installing all the jam packs it's a powerfull synthesizers.

True, Garageband can even make millions of different sounds that you customize yourself, with or without jam packs/

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 14:35:24

At 12/14/07 06:39 PM, TjA wrote:
At 12/14/07 06:34 PM, endlessnumber wrote: 1 - I didn't pay a cent for FL.
If you mean you illegally downloaded FL then your breaking forum rules, if not then i take you mean the demo version.
2 - Soulja Boy made his entire album with the demo version of FL.
How did he save?
3 - NO PROFESSIONALS USE GARAGEBAND
Agreed, yet will probably be proven wrong.
waiting...

No professionals use any computer programs that we use on NG lol. They use real instruments. The only program that pros use is Logic Studio. Oh and you already were proven wrong about your atatements of Garageband earlier in the thread lol.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 17:53:55

Well looks like garageband supporters are winning. :D

However, though I am also a GB supporter, eventually there is a limitation thus we mac users eventually move on to logic pro or logic studio. (Or you can just be a window fan boy and get FL or reason) I really don't know which one is better. Logic pro costs $999 dollars (non student version) and Logic studio you said only costs a fraction of that. Maybe logic studio is a smaller version of logic pro? Not sure. Anyway, I would love to collab with some people who use logic pro. I wonder if logic pro "iso" files can be shared with logic pro?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 17:55:27

Well I made a typing error. What I mean to say is if "iso" files of logic pro can be shared with logic studio. There we go. Bye

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 18:02:00

At 12/15/07 02:35 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: No professionals use any computer programs that we use on NG lol. They use real instruments.

Electronica peeps too? I'd like to see how f.ex Basshunter makes their "instruments"

blah

This thread is a massive biased opinions galore

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 18:26:28

At 12/15/07 05:53 PM, Jmusic wrote:

Logic pro costs $999 dollars (non student version) and Logic studio you said only costs a fraction of that.

logic express is $199 CAD and Logic Studio is $499 CAD

Logic studio comes with over 8 hours of sound effects, loops and samples (about 32gbs)

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 18:30:27

At 12/15/07 06:26 PM, Patcoola wrote:
At 12/15/07 05:53 PM, Jmusic wrote:
Logic pro costs $999 dollars (non student version) and Logic studio you said only costs a fraction of that.

Logic studio comes with over 8 hours of sound effects, loops and samples (about 32gbs)

Not according to the home site. click on the link. It costs 400$

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/

You will see the amazement of the program when you enter the page. =)

Who uses Garageband here at NG?

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 19:25:30

damit is there like grrage band for PC cuz i want it! all i have FL

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 21:15:50

At 12/15/07 07:25 PM, farfenwaffle wrote: damit is there like grrage band for PC cuz i want it! all i have FL

LOL, sorry but no. But Logic Pro can be for PC not this though. =) I don't have a link though.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 22:18:28

At 12/15/07 07:00 PM, Chronamut wrote: Apple is like the evil witch from snow white - trying to poison us all!

if that's the case, that's damn good poison. ;)

Mystic's 08 Voice Demo

Listen to my Demo and PM me if you want me to voice act for you, I'd be happy to help.

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-15 23:17:19

At 12/15/07 06:30 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 12/15/07 06:26 PM, Patcoola wrote:

Not according to the home site. click on the link. It costs 400$

CAD means Canadian dollars
it costs $499 canadian and $400us

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-16 00:09:51

No professionals use any computer programs that we use on NG lol. They use real instruments. The only program that pros use is Logic Studio. Oh and you already were proven wrong about your atatements of Garageband earlier in the thread lol.

You are a tad off base here. Pros are people that get paid for their work. Some pros are more successful than others. Even the big boys are moving further away from using "real instruments." Synthesizers have gotten so good more and more blockbuster movies are done completely on synthesizers. The reason for this is time and money. It takes time to set a composition in front of a full orchestra. The musicians all have to be paid. So why do it when your Korg Triton or Yamaha Motif sounds just as good in the end... sometimes better.

Pros use whatever tool get's the job done. And you might be surprised what get's used sometimes. Sometimes its the cheeziest piece of crap equipment that creates just the right sound for the job. Quit arguing about what is better than what. In doing so you only demonstrate your own ignorance for all to see.

Each piece of software does pretty much the same thing... it turns your ideas into music that other people will hear. I really don't care if you recorded your masterpiece on a $10 cassette recorder, if it's good I will enjoy it. If it sucks... well... it sucks! What is important about the software you choose to use is that YOU... the artist are comfortable with it. You don't want software getting in the way of your ideas. When you find that whatever you use is starting to limit your ideas... then and only then is it time to start looking for something better.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-16 00:18:26

Yah them professional DJ got some expensive toys to mix their songs with that we non paid people can't afford. Despite all that expensive equipment, I love it when I see a mac book pro lying beside the massive synthesizers. Eg. See Paul van dyk (spell his name write?) DJ in the clubs. He has his good trusty mac book pro beside him and that's what makes him one of the best DJ in the world. I wonder what program DJ tiesto uses besides the super expensive Roland and other massive pieces of equipment he owns.

This thread is not even about GB anymore. :D Seems to be moving to a logic pro/logic studio thread. Yeah and I know I'm contributing to that. :)

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-16 00:37:28

And for those of you who don't know, even Paul van dyk uses garage band prerecorded loops. I'm serious.

Listen to this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpPEt6xM0 fQ

In 1:26 you hear that guitar. That is a garage band 3 prerecorded loop. Yes like the previous post guy said, every program does have that magic sound that just seems to fit. Garage band is not a newb program because Paul Van Dyk uses it.. (or he used a GB prerecorded loop using logic pro.)

Proven

Bye

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-16 00:54:08

This thread is not even about GB anymore. :D Seems to be moving to a logic pro/logic studio thread. Yeah and I know I'm contributing to that. :)

Yeah... to bad for that. Some guy was obviously just trying to converse with anyone that was familiar with the software he uses and it turned into a friggin free-for-all let's bash Garageband. What's up with that. If GB get's the job done than it is a fine program. I've never used it. I cut my teeth on a cheezy program called Power Tracks. It's a reasonably priced software $50 that is a decent DAW. It's a bit combersome and has some inherent bugs. I did some pretty cool stuff with it, because it has some nice waveform editing features and good fx. It began to slow me down because it's sequencer is sub par and it's midi gui is awkward to use when trying to score midi from the staff page. I didn't use midi that much so it was no biggy for a long time. But the sequencer is what got me to start searching for a better DAW.

I finally settled for Adobe Audition 2.0 and am happy I did. It is easy and fast to use and it works great with loops or direct audio recording. The editing features are top notch. It does things even Sound Forge can't do... at least that's what Keyboard Magazine said. I almost purchased Ableton Live instead. I'm glad I didn't though, Audition is so much easier to use and has a much more familiar feel to it.

Oh... to add to my previous post. Most pros have about six or seven computers in their studios. Each computer takes care of a separate task. Some are dedicated for soft-synths, while others take care of the production aspects of the process. I'll tell you who is really hurting right now... it's the guy who dedicated his whole life to mastering the violin and now can't get a job because some kid with a $500 computer can do everything he can do and more.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-16 09:27:26

At 12/15/07 02:35 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: No professionals use any computer programs that we use on NG lol. They use real instruments. The only program that pros use is Logic Studio. Oh and you already were proven wrong about your atatements of Garageband earlier in the thread lol.

You would be really surprised at how many professionals use FL or Reason. Because a lot do. And none use GarageBand.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-22 12:23:46

At 12/16/07 09:27 AM, navij11 wrote:
At 12/15/07 02:35 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: No professionals use any computer programs that we use on NG lol. They use real instruments. The only program that pros use is Logic Studio. Oh and you already were proven wrong about your atatements of Garageband earlier in the thread lol.
You would be really surprised at how many professionals use FL or Reason. Because a lot do. And none use GarageBand.

When I say professionals, I mean of course actual bands that make multimillion dollars. The "Pros" at NG usually se FL studio and other expensive programs but I have not yet seen anybody who has used Logic Studio. I am saving up money for the 400$ bundle so that I may add on to my experience in Garageband.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-22 15:16:50

At 12/22/07 12:23 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: When I say professionals, I mean of course actual bands that make multimillion dollars. The "Pros" at NG usually se FL studio and other expensive programs but I have not yet seen anybody who has used Logic Studio. I am saving up money for the 400$ bundle so that I may add on to my experience in Garageband.

My "pros" I mean signed, professional artists. Spor uses FL. Aphex Twin uses Cubase. Nu:Tone uses Reason. These are signed, professional artists that sell records, but are not multimillionaires.

The really rich ones get someone else to do their mixing for them. And it's probably done in Logic or Pro-tools. End of story. No professional artists who sell their music use Garageband.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-22 15:55:48

Cubase = used by professionals Reaktor 4 = used by professionals
not all NG'ers use reason and Fl

BBS Signature

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-23 13:25:52

At 12/22/07 03:16 PM, navij11 wrote:
At 12/22/07 12:23 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: When I say professionals, I mean of course actual bands that make multimillion dollars. The "Pros" at NG usually se FL studio and other expensive programs but I have not yet seen anybody who has used Logic Studio. I am saving up money for the 400$ bundle so that I may add on to my experience in Garageband.
My "pros" I mean signed, professional artists. Spor uses FL. Aphex Twin uses Cubase. Nu:Tone uses Reason. These are signed, professional artists that sell records, but are not multimillionaires.

The really rich ones get someone else to do their mixing for them. And it's probably done in Logic or Pro-tools. End of story. No professional artists who sell their music use Garageband.

Actually, that isn't true. Moby used Garageband from time to time when experimenting with the Mac and created a few songs in his newest Almulm, and U2 actually made a few from Garageband. Those artists are multimillion dollar guys who play their own instruments, but use programs such as Garageband for electronic music and soothing synths. That really encourages me to use Garageband.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-23 13:33:06

At 12/23/07 01:25 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Actually, that isn't true. Moby used Garageband from time to time when experimenting with the Mac and created a few songs in his newest Almulm, and U2 actually made a few from Garageband. Those artists are multimillion dollar guys who play their own instruments, but use programs such as Garageband for electronic music and soothing synths. That really encourages me to use Garageband.

Do you have any AU plugins? If you don't, then Garageband is useless to a pure electronic musician. Those artists actually have skill and probably made the synths in an AU, not in Garageband's horrible synth that sounds like a preset, and sounds the same, no matter what you do to it. I would know, as I had to use Garageband for school. There are like 5 preset options for the sound, then a few basic effects with no real control. Like, an effect "echo" that is just a bar from 1-100%. You can't control the amount of echo, the time between echos, anything really at all. It's useless. Get Logic Pro.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-23 13:37:42

So is the original purpose of this thread valid or is it just a thread for posting "X professional artist uses Y software program" without a link to or quote from any source at all?

Thread does not deliver

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-23 16:58:43

Do you have any AU plugins? If you don't, then Garageband is useless to a pure electronic musician. Those artists actually have skill and probably made the synths in an AU, not in Garageband's horrible synth that sounds like a preset, and sounds the same, no matter what you do to it. I would know, as I had to use Garageband for school. There are like 5 preset options for the sound, then a few basic effects with no real control. Like, an effect "echo" that is just a bar from 1-100%. You can't control the amount of echo, the time between echos, anything really at all. It's useless. Get Logic Pro.

Yes I do actuallyu including one really cool plugin called TruePiano which I am about to use to create a classical song. (No not with those terrible pre-set piano loops of course)and the rest are what I use to make great sounding synth instruments called FF Pro-C, SFX Machine Pro, Space Oscillator, ReSpatializer, FF Volcano, FF timeless, FF Simplon, AuPitch, , and many other AU plugins.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-23 17:01:28

At 12/23/07 01:37 PM, SBB wrote: So is the original purpose of this thread valid or is it just a thread for posting "X professional artist uses Y software program" without a link to or quote from any source at all?

Thread does not deliver

Oh of course it is, I created this thread to discuss Garageband and weither or not it is a noob or non-noob program. You yourself use Garageband from time to time SBB right? The reason it is getting into the topic of weither pros use it or not is because the discussion is getting more in depth.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-23 18:31:22

Garage band is a void of creativity. Go get a real DAW like FL, Reason, Cubase, etc etc.

Besides, Audacity is free and MUCH better than GarageBand.

Looks like you only used the Apple loops. Audacity sucks compared to Logic Studio. And if you're poor, get Audacity.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-24 13:31:15

At 12/23/07 06:31 PM, machacker2000 wrote:

Garage band is a void of creativity. Go get a real DAW like FL, Reason, Cubase, etc etc.

Besides, Audacity is free and MUCH better than GarageBand.
Looks like you only used the Apple loops. Audacity sucks compared to Logic Studio. And if you're poor, get Audacity.

Yep, he sure did. =P

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-24 22:24:19

See the main reason I made this thread was to see how many people used Garageband.

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-25 17:46:39

I use Garageband! I Use It To Play MIDI And Record My Band. I Did All My Songs With It!

Response to Who uses Garageband here at NG? 2007-12-25 18:37:03

I'm too lazy to read all of this thread, figuring most of it is just GarageBand bashing anyways.

At 12/4/07 09:55 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: I have created ALL 26 of my my songs using Garageband and I finnaly realize that it is the best free program out there.

Alright no. You've obviously never heard of MU.LAB (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/2085.html).

There is a program... a 400$ program... but it makes music the MOST FREAKING BEST THING EVER.. This program is epic AND I MEAN IT!!! It is called

Logic Studio

This is all personal opinion. There really is no best program out there.

Check it out, it is used like Garageband and I recommend getting it for Christmas.

This is if you own a Mac, which the majority of the people here don't.

Anyways, GarageBand is not that great. Having used it before, it was nice when I was just beginning. After I started using Live and tried to go back to using it, I couldn't stand it. It's a really basic and weak Application. It's more of a hobbyist tool than a music production tool.