00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Mickillus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elite Guard Barracks

3,042,097 Views | 61,062 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-17 10:58:45

At 1/17/11 10:47 AM, LittleWashu wrote: Yet another person is trying to pass of choco break as their work. When will the madness stop?

Not today, apparently:

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-17 11:46:57

At 1/17/11 10:58 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote:
At 1/17/11 10:47 AM, LittleWashu wrote: Yet another person is trying to pass of choco break as their work. When will the madness stop?
Not today, apparently:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 9593

Definitely not.

It has music, a different paddle, but other than that everything is Choco break.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-17 15:54:55

At 1/14/11 11:21 AM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: You know what disappoints me most? The fact that pressing play will take you to another unrelated page... and it passed. There's no game at all. Another obvious clue that a majority of portal voters don't even bother to play what they're voting.

Well that almost an epidemic now in the portal. Seems like anyboy nowdays can just make some shit flash and post it and then post it again and odds are they would probably both pass. Hell where are the days when you had to actually put some effort into a flash to get it onto the portal? They might be ling gone but would be a good sign if it came back.

When life gives you lemons, be glad it didn't give you herpes.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-17 16:23:46

At 1/17/11 03:54 PM, Pandamir wrote:
Well that almost an epidemic now in the portal. Seems like anyboy nowdays can just make some shit flash and post it and then post it again and odds are they would probably both pass. Hell where are the days when you had to actually put some effort into a flash to get it onto the portal? They might be ling gone but would be a good sign if it came back.

Technically that's impossible because newgrounds won't allow you to submit a file that has already been submitted to newgrounds whether it passed or was blammed. The bad thing is it's so easy to get around it. All they have to do is add an empty frame here or change a graphic there, etc...

On top of that it's so hard for the general population to know something was submitted before so they don't know to mark it accordingly.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-17 16:47:48

At 1/17/11 04:23 PM, Fro wrote: Technically that's impossible because newgrounds won't allow you to submit a file that has already been submitted to newgrounds whether it passed or was blammed. The bad thing is it's so easy to get around it. All they have to do is add an empty frame here or change a graphic there, etc...

On top of that it's so hard for the general population to know something was submitted before so they don't know to mark it accordingly.

Well I know technically it is but was just giving an example of what is happening in the portal now. And as for knowing how to grade something it is very complex for them to know if it has been submitted before. And therefore they just spam vote it and then both are on here. And that is why the portal is in the shape it's in.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-17 22:27:50

Ok, so you know what I find weird and uncomfortable and would like someone else more qualified than me to look over?

This guy. He submitted his second game today, one one with the logo of Fog, and another with the Box10 logo. I think he's full of shit and his account is written as being made in Gmail. Come on...

Elite Guard Barracks Former 3IC

NG Dept. of Defense Chief Sup. Commander/Ball buster.

I live in Israel:...Whooptie-fucking-doo.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-17 23:19:57

At 1/17/11 11:10 PM, Jedi-Master wrote:
At 1/17/11 10:27 PM, Phantom wrote: This guy. He submitted his second game today, one one with the logo of Fog, and another with the Box10 logo. I think he's full of shit and his account is written as being made in Gmail. Come on...
The game that he has submitted, Fog Golf...

I completely agree with this flash being stolen. He does not seem to have a qualified background at all. I tried looking through FOG.com for contact information, but there does not appear to be any. Based on his previous submission I am sure this is not the first game he has tried to claim his own. The Spiderman game he has tagged to his account passed some time ago, but if you follow the link it redirects to yet another free online games site. This may be an author worth keeping an eye on. Just a thought.

|NGSM|NGM|EGB|NGPD|DA|Sig by - CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 07:40:14

This is pointed towards anyone, but it's a feature that I just learned about last night. There is a major website that game makers can join where people upload their games to. You then click this distribute button and starting with the A's it takes you to a website that you can upload your game to so you get more views.

I was working my way through this so I could make a few extra bucks here and there to notice that newgrounds was one of the game websites. The thing is, it almost encourages people to sign up right there and then and even to use an email that they don't want people to know about on all of the sites.

This means you might be getting level 1 accounts that just signed up that day submitting flashes that have been around for years with a fake email giving the impression that it's stolen when really it's just someone like me trying to get a few extra thousand views here and there.

Not to try and make our jobs harder or anything, but that really shows you have to be 120 percent sure that it's stolen and simply because it's on another site and it's a new user doesn't mean it is. In fact, I'm sure more times than not it's someone just finding the site for the first time and deciding to get a burst of ad revenue from their game.

http://flashgamedistribution.com/

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 11:05:56

I'd just like to say that I'm leaving Newgrounds, and won't be coming back. I'm being constantly character assassinated by Sheizenhammer. Yes, I'll admit I cut and pasted characters in two of my movies. OMG!!! I just stole a single captain picard gif, as well as a single anime gif! OH THE TWO MINUTES OF WORK THAT MUST'VE GONE INTO MAKING THOSE!!!111!!! Fine, I've had enough of being cyber-bullied. Goodbye forever, newgrounds. I've scrubbed another account I've owned of my work, since people seem to be out to get me.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 13:57:09

At 1/18/11 11:05 AM, Athos wrote: I'd just like to say that I'm leaving Newgrounds, and won't be coming back. I'm being constantly character assassinated by Sheizenhammer. Yes, I'll admit I cut and pasted characters in two of my movies. OMG!!! I just stole a single captain picard gif, as well as a single anime gif! OH THE TWO MINUTES OF WORK THAT MUST'VE GONE INTO MAKING THOSE!!!111!!! Fine, I've had enough of being cyber-bullied. Goodbye forever, newgrounds. I've scrubbed another account I've owned of my work, since people seem to be out to get me.

No. You're not leaving. You're being removed. In fact, your account has been deleted as I am writing this. From what I can see, you've brought all of this upon yourself. No one to blame but the kid in the mirror.

Maybe next time you'll have matured a bit. We'll see. Somehow, I know you'll be back with an alt soon enough...

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 15:03:51

At 1/18/11 11:05 AM, <deleted> wrote: I'm being constantly character assassinated by Sheizenhammer.

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but this was just too funny to ignore.
I'm laughing so fucking hard right now you wouldn't believe it. I wouldn't be surprised if my sides actually split open in a few hours at this rate. XD

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 16:55:52

Back on topic:

For some reason, it's not actually on the Nickelodion website, but it's all over the internet anyway, including here.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 20:37:34

At 1/17/11 03:10 PM, Cootie wrote: Woah woah woah, you mean to tell me that every time Chocobreak is submitted I can flag it as stolen? Why didn't I figure this out already? I could've been deity by now if I knew that.

Just saw this today and decided to throw in my own input on it. It seems like a ton of games make it through by TGF2 which is pretty detrimental to the portal (in my own opinion). It's stated that if a game comes from TGF2 then it is in fact stolen. However, no matter how many times I blow my whistle/downvote a game from this program, it still somehow always ends up with a passing vote and even worse CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS.

I'm all for helping a flash artist with a game, but many of these games are complete trash. If I see another chocobreak game I'm going to flip out. People really aren't using their whistles and I'm at the point where I'm starting to realize I don't have much of a chance at obtaining a "diety" regardless of my whistle blowing habits.

The stat doesn't matter, it's more of the principle fact that these games keep passing through.

/endrant

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 21:48:10

At 1/18/11 08:37 PM, AnalPenguinFarming wrote:
At 1/17/11 03:10 PM, Cootie wrote: Woah woah woah, you mean to tell me that every time Chocobreak is submitted I can flag it as stolen? Why didn't I figure this out already? I could've been deity by now if I knew that.
Just saw this today and decided to throw in my own input on it. It seems like a ton of games make it through by TGF2 which is pretty detrimental to the portal (in my own opinion). It's stated that if a game comes from TGF2 then it is in fact stolen. However, no matter how many times I blow my whistle/downvote a game from this program, it still somehow always ends up with a passing vote and even worse CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS.

I'm all for helping a flash artist with a game, but many of these games are complete trash. If I see another chocobreak game I'm going to flip out. People really aren't using their whistles and I'm at the point where I'm starting to realize I don't have much of a chance at obtaining a "diety" regardless of my whistle blowing habits.

The stat doesn't matter, it's more of the principle fact that these games keep passing through.

/endrant

You know that even if you get the stuff marked for review that you won't get the whistle points or blam points until the Admins check and delete it. You best bet would be to flag the abusive reviews in flash that passed judgement. You will get the points a lot faster that way. Heck I had deity for 4 years + and I still flag abusive reviews and flash.

Just keep at it and you will get your bonus (since doing the right thing is it's own reward.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-18 23:39:17

I've done separate experiments with an alt account and a friend's account, to see how the whistle works. I flagged mostly reviews with one, and with the other, mostly flashes. This was during the summer, when stolen flashes were pretty common.

Long story short, the one with more flash flags than review flags made Bronze in a much quicker time. Flash flags give more points than reviews.

However, combining the two really makes it quick.

I don't know how this is related, but I thought it was interesting.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-19 01:16:00

At 1/18/11 11:39 PM, Ronald-McDonald-LoL wrote: Long story short, the one with more flash flags than review flags made Bronze in a much quicker time. Flash flags give more points than reviews.

Long story short goes that you could have asked us about that and we could have told you we already knew this so you wouldn't have to test it for yourself lol!

That's one thing that the admins and mods have actually been open about with whistle points, it's that flagging flashes is worth more points (Positive or negative, depending on the results) than flagging abusive reviews...

But, hey good on you for trying to help, it was just kind of already known unfortunately.

It's kind of like having an experiment to see if alcohol makes people drunk.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-19 03:54:37

At 1/18/11 09:48 PM, LittleWashu wrote: Just keep at it and you will get your bonus (since doing the right thing is it's own reward.

I think you misunderstood me. I have absolutely no interest in the level my whistle is at all. I only have a silver basically from doing the shit in Rage's old thread. Now I try and flag these games and really don't see any changes most of the time. That was the issue I had in my post.

Yea, I farm Anal Penguins. Do something about it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-19 04:18:22

At 1/19/11 03:54 AM, AnalPenguinFarming wrote:
At 1/18/11 09:48 PM, LittleWashu wrote: Just keep at it and you will get your bonus (since doing the right thing is it's own reward.
I think you misunderstood me. I have absolutely no interest in the level my whistle is at all. I only have a silver basically from doing the shit in Rage's old thread. Now I try and flag these games and really don't see any changes most of the time. That was the issue I had in my post.

That just means not enough people with enough whistle power has flagged the flash. Once the bar has been reached for the flash to get marked for review it will happen. But then again not everyone on NG knows that choco break flashes count as stolen. If they did they would most likely flag them when they see them or at least vote 0

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-19 17:03:26

At 1/19/11 04:18 AM, LittleWashu wrote: That just means not enough people with enough whistle power has flagged the flash. Once the bar has been reached for the flash to get marked for review it will happen. But then again not everyone on NG knows that choco break flashes count as stolen. If they did they would most likely flag them when they see them or at least vote 0

Yeah I would have honestly never thought of those but thanks for bringing that to my attention. As for whistle points I have had a damn silver whistle for the longest time really and just can't seem to find enough to get that gold and then deity whistle which I have been hunting for some time now.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-19 18:51:12

At 1/19/11 05:03 PM, Pandamir wrote:
At 1/19/11 04:18 AM, LittleWashu wrote: That just means not enough people with enough whistle power has flagged the flash. Once the bar has been reached for the flash to get marked for review it will happen. But then again not everyone on NG knows that choco break flashes count as stolen. If they did they would most likely flag them when they see them or at least vote 0
Yeah I would have honestly never thought of those but thanks for bringing that to my attention. As for whistle points I have had a damn silver whistle for the longest time really and just can't seem to find enough to get that gold and then deity whistle which I have been hunting for some time now.

Well not that you know that it counts for stolen you can flag and vote zero to help keep the portal clean of that crap.

On another note if you think leveling up is hard now it was near impossible back in the days before the change. I mean sure it was a lot easier to find abusive reviews and flash but the bar wasn't fixed. Some people would flag for years and would still be stuck with silver. In fact out of all the users back after ramagi and joe where finished their competition against each other only two people were able to get past silver before the change and only one to diety. (but then again deity was only for the best of the best back then unless you were tied with someone.)

But then again I wouldn't know how hard it is to get those by this fix system either.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-19 22:42:39

I never had much trouble getting a diety whistle I still have that whistle status, but I got that on rage's thread like 4 years back now. Two years ago it was locked how times fly. I have noticed that Newgrounds now has its own Youtube page, Tom Fulp news post got my attention cool. I'm thinking of also getting back Red Dead Redemption, I traded it in for other games but did not think much of Mass Effect by Bioware. Who also made Dragon Age Origins OK but I thought nothing special.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 00:45:56

An obvious mark. It just repeats that "EyeLovePoozy" is the world's biggest faggot. The author even marked the genre as spam, at least he was able to get that right.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 9879

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 00:55:54

At 1/19/11 10:42 PM, phantomlassuk wrote: I never had much trouble getting a diety whistle I still have that whistle status, but I got that on rage's thread like 4 years back now. Two years ago it was locked how times fly. I have noticed that Newgrounds now has its own Youtube page, Tom Fulp news post got my attention cool. I'm thinking of also getting back Red Dead Redemption, I traded it in for other games but did not think much of Mass Effect by Bioware. Who also made Dragon Age Origins OK but I thought nothing special.

I still sheds tears for my favorite thread getting locked due to mindless statwhores blindly flagging everything in the attempt to get a diety whistle. It is the same shit that is happening in the portal now that caused the rage thread to get locked except instead of voting blindly on Flash they were voting blindly on reviews.

But that is what happens when people try to fly with the eagles when they are really scraping with the chickens.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 01:13:02

At 1/20/11 12:55 AM, LittleWashu wrote: But that is what happens when people try to fly with the eagles when they are really scraping with the chickens.

I still don't see why Rage's thread needed to be shut down. There were more than enough users utilizing that thread for its intended purpose, cleaning up Newgrounds. Even though I did not visit it as much as I would have liked, I always felt that when I did head there it made a great difference for the site. There is no reason why Newgrounds should be overrun with spam and abuse. The authors don't deserve what was being said and the other reading should not have had to read it. Getting rid of Rage's thread had a bigger impact here than most people probably realize. In a way it seems to have made people not want to flag flash and reviews anymore. I watch as more and more trash floods the site every day. It would be great if there was a way to make people care again. I think recreating a thread for abusive reviews and flash would be a great step in the right direction.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 07:21:46

At 1/20/11 01:13 AM, Turkeybean wrote:
At 1/20/11 12:55 AM, LittleWashu wrote: But that is what happens when people try to fly with the eagles when they are really scraping with the chickens.
I still don't see why Rage's thread needed to be shut down. There were more than enough users utilizing that thread for its intended purpose, cleaning up Newgrounds. Even though I did not visit it as much as I would have liked, I always felt that when I did head there it made a great difference for the site. There is no reason why Newgrounds should be overrun with spam and abuse. The authors don't deserve what was being said and the other reading should not have had to read it. Getting rid of Rage's thread had a bigger impact here than most people probably realize. In a way it seems to have made people not want to flag flash and reviews anymore. I watch as more and more trash floods the site every day. It would be great if there was a way to make people care again. I think recreating a thread for abusive reviews and flash would be a great step in the right direction.

The thread was made in 2003 when the whistle system was new. Back then the old system whistle rigid at best didn't have as many bad statwhores. But over time they came and flagged blindly giving the review mods and admins a lot of unneed work. Eventually they said enough was enough and gumonshoe locked the thread and made it illegal to recreate the thread or post abusive reviews.

It saddens me to see my favorite thread die because of a couple of knuckleheads who were too lazy to read the reviews and flag correctly but it is better the thread be locked then to give the mods unneeded work. But I have to say this. The old system while it did shoot NG in the leg did have one good thing about it. It kept the bad stat whores away since the stat was nearly impossible (I won't say impossible since I actually beat that system) to get.

But we can't cling to the past and we must move forward. So now all we can do is flag abusive reviews on our own and if you are serious about it send a PM to a review mod to bring the abusive reviews to their attention.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 07:41:44

I really wish Rage's thread would be given a second chance. I think by now, everybody has learned there lesson.

I could be wrong though. It could be quite the opposite.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 12:40:34

At 1/20/11 07:41 AM, Jolly wrote: I really wish Rage's thread would be given a second chance. I think by now, everybody has learned there lesson.

I doubt it highly. As much as I would love to have my old hang out brought back like family guy was it will be abused because let's face it more people want a diety whistle because it looks nice then to do the right thing with it.

It is just like all those bad stat whore who blindly protect crap in the portal because they think everyone else is doing it. In other words they will blindly flag any review they see because they think it is abusive and in the end will end up bitching because they either went down in whistle level and eventually end up with a garbage whistle.

Then they will end up bitching about "WTF I was flagging reviews posted and I ended up with garbage what gives. So I think it would be best if the thread would stay locked. Though if they did open it up again I would still contribute to it like I used to.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 12:49:05

Hey guys, I'm back. I've been bumming around for a while and I think it's time I came back and helped out here.

I saw I wasn't in last place as far as blams and saves are concerned on the last roster update. That's nice. How long will that last?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 13:05:46

Why not make posting reviews that aren't abusive a bannable offense? I think that should be done. Then Rage's thread could be re-opened. Of course, occasionally, exceptions would be made if the review could easily be mistaken for abusive review, but otherwise you would get banned from the BBS for a few days.

Or maybe the people that blindly flag the reviews, then complain about it, could be banned from the BBS?

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2011-01-20 13:19:10

While Rage's thread will never be reopened, I do think something needs to be done about the review system. It's one of my biggest pet peeves. I used to write spammy one-liner reviews, but I changed. It's not that hard. I'm tired of seeing dumb reviews flooding the Top 100 flashes... Especially Cyanide & Happiness flashes.

I mean, seriously, we don't want to turn into YouTube here. I hope the review system gets an overhaul on the next redesign. Or at least the rules get a bit tighter. I'm beating a dead horse here.