00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elite Guard Barracks

3,043,065 Views | 61,076 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-30 22:20:03

At 3/30/09 08:10 PM, Zergzealot wrote: Reporting in, Sir! my rank is private and I wish to join the elite guard sir!

Hello there you will need to wait till SlashFirestorm comes on which should be soon hopefully. Anyway should have know by your post you were only using sarcasm but good point. Well on the portal LordZerbMork has been submitting some flash called LOD Legion Of Doom not bad bit spammy but not to bad. I wonder what they have called there son? someone said Reid Fulp but I don't think its has been confirmed yet. Just reading some Salad Fingers reviews love that series.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-30 22:49:28

At 3/30/09 08:10 PM, Zergzealot wrote: Reporting in, Sir! my rank is private and I wish to join the elite guard sir!

Welcome! I'm Slash Firestorm, the Recruitment Officer and Commander of the Elite Guard Barracks, and I'll be guiding you through the recruitment process. Here's how it works.

First, I will present you with the shortened code of conduct for the Barracks, along with links to the relevant FAQ's on our forums. You must read them, understand them, and post here again confirming that you accept those principles. A simple "yes, I agree" will be sufficient. This process serves two purposes:

1) Ensuring that you're not a "drive-by applicant" who asks to join and then never comes back, and

2) Ensuring that you know how we operate so there won't be any complications in the future, such as "wait, we're not supposed to be mass voting?".

After you agree to the code of conduct, the Barracks community will discuss your qualifications and decide whether to allow you into the group. Our requirements aren't too strict; beyond the main qualifications of 2500+ B/P and a Bronze Whistle or better, we'll be looking for sufficient post quality (low number of one-liners, intelligent posts that contribute to the topic), helpful reviews, any potentially problematic flashes, stuff like that. While we won't outright reject you for your lack of advanced whistle, you'll need a Bronze Whistle or better to become an official member.

After discussion and a vote, I'll make the final call and PM you with the results. Assuming that no objections are raised, the process usually takes a day or two.

Here is our abbreviated Code of Conduct. Read it, learn it, and post again with confirmation of your understanding. If you can't abide by these principles, say so.

1. Voting fairly.

This is the foundation of the Elite Guard Barracks. All members are expected to give every flash a fair vote, regardless of who made it or what their group affiliations are. We do not target any flash group, not favorably or in opposition; our only enemies are those who break the rules of the site, not those who merely bend them.

Everyone has a different definition of quality, and all members are expected to vote based on what they honestly feel a flash deserves, not on whether they think the flash will pass or be blammed. While Barracks members are proud of their high ranks, and are eager to compete with others, a high B/P score means nothing if achieved through petty point-whore voting, and any member who admits to doing so will be removed from the organization.

2. Stopping Portal abuse.

Numerous stolen, malicious, and unsuitable flash are submitted to the Flash Portal every day, and it is our job to ensure that as many of them are removed as possible. Members are expected to report any suspicious flash to the Barracks, including any evidence or doubts that they might have, and only whistle something if they are sure, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it is whistle-worthy.

Just as with B/P, points mean nothing if achieved through inappropriate means. There should be no blind rush to whistle a flash that is merely suspected of wrongdoing; it's better to let an uncertain case go by rather than wrongly whistle an innocent submission. If evidence of wrongdoing is discovered after a flash passes judgment, we can always (and will always) inform Wade of our findings.

In the case of a beyond-reasonable-doubt rulebreaking flash, members are encouraged to share their results with the Newgrounds Police Department and the Newgrounds Department of Defense.

3. Cleaning up the review system.

Members are expected to be familiar with the review guidelines and whistle abusive reviews when they come across them, and report severe cases of abuse to a review mod. Additionally, members are expected to write helpful reviews, offering constructive criticism and remaining civil even when the author refuses to do so. We must set a good example for other Newgrounders, in hopes that they will improve their own reviews as well.

4. Setting an example for others to follow.

Barracks members are expected to post intelligently, contributing to threads rather than merely dropping a one-liner opinion on it. Flaming, spamming, and other ban-worthy behavior is strictly prohibited, and extreme misbehavior will lead to removal from the EGB.

Members are also expected to act civilly towards all Newgrounders. You are expected to be helpful and patient when dealing with newer members, whether simply showing them the FAQ or explaining more complex concepts that they do not understand. Concepts such as fair voting, intelligent posting/reviewing, and keeping an open mind are essential for newer members to learn, and we are just the ones to teach them.

For those with more experience, you are expected to show respect and understand that they may, in fact, know more about Newgrounds than you do, even if you're a seasoned veteran. This applies both to fellow Barracks members and Newgrounders in the general population.

Members are expected to put reasonable effort into any flash or audio submissions, and be careful with who they become Portal Buddies with. We are quite generous with our definition of reasonable effort; examples of unacceptable submissions would be static images, single frames, ridiculously small loops, or purposefully bad music. Anyone submitting rulebreaking content would, obviously, be removed from the Barracks and reported to Wade.

5. Not starting shit.

As mentioned above, the Barracks has no enemies beyond those who break the rules of the site. Our roster has included current and former members of various flash groups, including the Clock Crew, Barney Bunch, and Kitty Krew, and we are open to anyone willing to follow our principles. Barracks members are expected to be civil to others and not start fights, and anyone found to be starting shit with anyone, even if they deserve it, will be removed. You are representing the Barracks with your actions, and if your actions do not reflect our principles, you will not be a part of the organization.

6. Remaining active with the group.

Barracks members are expected to remain reasonably active in the thread, as well as with their duties. Those who are inactive for long periods (months) may be removed from the roster at any time, and rollcalls are occasionally sent out to all members to determine who is active. Members who expect to be inactive for some time due to IRL reasons (such as school, employment, vacation, etc) should inform the Barracks in advance.

In addition to the above, please examine the following materials.

The Barracks Manifesto
The Barracks FAQ

(FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT QUOTE THIS WHOLE GIANT THING)

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-30 22:50:56

Gents-

Doesn't this description qualify as rule breaking and a flaggable offense?

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-30 23:00:08

At 3/30/09 10:50 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: Gents-

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/48 9235

Can't do shit about nasty author comments. Too bad, too, because with all the people using "LYNCH COONS GAS KIKES" and such as their author comments... Well, that would be a good weapon against spam.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-30 23:01:53

At 3/30/09 11:00 PM, SoulMaster71 wrote:
At 3/30/09 10:50 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: Gents-

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/48 9235
Can't do shit about nasty author comments. Too bad, too, because with all the people using "LYNCH COONS GAS KIKES" and such as their author comments... Well, that would be a good weapon against spam.

Wait a sec, take that back, just watched the Flash and it has the "N" word in it. That's offensive enough for a flagging, right?

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-30 23:31:20

also, here's another flash that I think needs to be flagged, it uses too much profanity and is a parody degrading characters from sesame street.

Need a sig? PM me if you want one :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 01:25:55

Zergzealot.. That's like.. Probeoverlord? Dragoonhydralisk?

*insert infinite stream of Starcraft puns here*

Dexter Season 5: "Psychopaths in love. It's like Zodiac and Juliet."

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 11:23:12

At 3/30/09 11:31 PM, Zergzealot wrote: also, here's another flash that I think needs to be flagged, it uses too much profanity and is a parody degrading characters from sesame street.

It got blammed, and I didn't see it, but two very important things.

1. There's no such thing as "too much profanity". A flash can scream the word fuck a thousand times, and that still doesn't mean it breaks any rules. The only exception would be racial slurs, mainly the N-word, which is an instant whistle.

2. It mocking something is likewise irrelevant, as that breaks no rules. The only time making fun of something could possibly be an issue is if a flash is hateful towards a Newgrounder, and even then most Newgrounders take it like a man (or woman) and don't bother whistling it.

Please read the Code of Conduct I posted previously, as I feel that you're missing a few things about the Barracks. We don't even begin to discuss and vote on a potential member until they've read the Code and agreed to its principles.

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 16:03:27

At 3/31/09 11:23 AM, SlashFirestorm wrote: The only exception would be racial slurs, mainly the N-word, which is an instant whistle.

I think there are a few expections to that depending how it is used, I think there are some populare flash that have used it, I don't recall. The way it's used in the majority of submissions it is wrong though because it's used for the sake of using it. Most things can be made fun of within reason.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 16:46:12

At 3/31/09 01:25 AM, KrevZabijak wrote: Zergzealot.. That's like.. Probeoverlord? Dragoonhydralisk?

*insert infinite stream of Starcraft puns here*

Starcraft kicks ass.

At 3/31/09 04:03 PM, Little-Rena wrote:
At 3/31/09 11:23 AM, SlashFirestorm wrote: The only exception would be racial slurs, mainly the N-word, which is an instant whistle.
I think there are a few expections to that depending how it is used, I think there are some populare flash that have used it, I don't recall. The way it's used in the majority of submissions it is wrong though because it's used for the sake of using it. Most things can be made fun of within reason.

Yeah, it depends on how it's used. For example, this movie uses that word a lot:

But it's not insulting the person who is watching it or anything. Damn, those guys don't even have a skin color, it can't even be used to discriminate in that flash, lol

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 16:48:54

At 3/30/09 04:00 PM, KrevZabijak wrote:
At 3/30/09 07:39 AM, TheSongSalad wrote: it was sarcasm. he was just saying it'd be ironic if right after he said that a bunch of stolen games appear.
Mmhmm, I even attached a smiley to it. And, apparently.. I'll have to do exactly what I did when I joined the NGPD.

*Stands up in the middle of the room, points to tits.* Seen these before, right? :P
I prefer female pronouns, but as long as you're respectful, anything goes really.

)

Hey, I know what you mean. I got used to it after a while. Most of the local posters don't bother to check the gender thing, and assume we are all geeky boys between the ages of 13 and 24, still living in our mother's house. Respect, however, should span all ages and genders, and as long as I'm treated with the same respect I give, the gender pronoun thing isn't that critical.

As for sarcasm and humor - I'm all for it. Can't really ever take yourself too seriously, you know. You need a good sense of humor to get through this life. You can either laugh it all off, and people think you're a little crazy - or you can cry a lot, and then they put you on meds and talk about you at all the family gatherings. I go for the laugh track - but, then again, that's just me...

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 16:58:27

At 3/31/09 04:48 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 3/30/09 04:00 PM, KrevZabijak wrote:
At 3/30/09 07:39 AM, TheSongSalad wrote: it was sarcasm. he was just saying it'd be ironic if right after he said that a bunch of stolen games appear.
Mmhmm, I even attached a smiley to it. And, apparently.. I'll have to do exactly what I did when I joined the NGPD.

*Stands up in the middle of the room, points to tits.* Seen these before, right? :P
I prefer female pronouns, but as long as you're respectful, anything goes really.

)
Hey, I know what you mean. I got used to it after a while. Most of the local posters don't bother to check the gender thing, and assume we are all geeky boys between the ages of 13 and 24, still living in our mother's house. Respect, however, should span all ages and genders, and as long as I'm treated with the same respect I give, the gender pronoun thing isn't that critical.

Wait what? 24? There are only boys from 9 to 12 years old. So you're kinda breaking 2 rules here, you're a girl, and you're, as far as I know, older than 30.

As for sarcasm and humor - I'm all for it. Can't really ever take yourself too seriously, you know. You need a good sense of humor to get through this life. You can either laugh it all off, and people think you're a little crazy - or you can cry a lot, and then they put you on meds and talk about you at all the family gatherings. I go for the laugh track - but, then again, that's just me...

Yeah it's better to just laugh off, like Jade, who keeps mentioning her dick and stuff, I always laugh at those posts.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 17:03:46

At 3/31/09 04:58 PM, Ismael92 wrote: Yeah it's better to just laugh off, like Jade, who keeps mentioning her dick and stuff, I always laugh at those posts.

AHAAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAH AH aha ha,.... ah.... haha....e..h....
Whooooo.

*wipes tear off face*

...... *Starts laughing like a maniac again*

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 20:53:59

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1044 777/1 Just read this cant work if it a joke but sure sounds bad no more BBS. I'm not good a telling if they are joking. I don't remember the joke last year but I know it may be a joke but alas its so sudden only last week its just awful I feel sick at the thought of it. Many threads being made what was the April fool's day joke last year? But imagine The Lit Portal NG Chat its so odd and weird. Many mods posting.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 21:00:19

At 3/31/09 08:53 PM, phantomlassuk wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1044 777/1 Just read this cant work if it a joke but sure sounds bad no more BBS. I'm not good a telling if they are joking. I don't remember the joke last year but I know it may be a joke but alas its so sudden only last week its just awful I feel sick at the thought of it. Many threads being made what was the April fool's day joke last year? But imagine The Lit Portal NG Chat its so odd and weird. Many mods posting.

I still think it's a joke... And if it's not... O well, we'll have to move on... Some mod or admin said that not all the BBS would be deleted, places like the Flash forum will stay since they help people out.

And last year there wasn't any big joke, I think. Wasn't it "Poo grounds - Everyone does it"? Or was that the year before? I'm lost :/

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 21:16:20

Did everyone forget what tomorrow (today, in some places) is?

lol, don't worry about it.

Incidentally, the comment about the bandwidth use of the BBS should give it away. The BBS is largely text and barely makes a dent in the bandwidth of the site compared to the Portal (with multi-meg uploads ALL THE TIME) and the front page (which receives the most viewers). I remember liljim or Wade mentioning that the BBS gets less than one percent of the total traffic to Newgrounds.

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 21:21:06

At 3/31/09 09:16 PM, SlashFirestorm wrote: Did everyone forget what tomorrow (today, in some places) is?

lol, don't worry about it.

Thanks for your reply alas I feel rotten with a cold and this news does not help, still we will soon see tomorrow where I'm at its already April !st so its ages till I find out.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 21:28:40

At 3/31/09 08:53 PM, phantomlassuk wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1044 777/1 Just read this cant work if it a joke but sure sounds bad no more BBS. I'm not good a telling if they are joking. I don't remember the joke last year but I know it may be a joke but alas its so sudden only last week its just awful I feel sick at the thought of it. Many threads being made what was the April fool's day joke last year? But imagine The Lit Portal NG Chat its so odd and weird. Many mods posting.

I'm sure it's just a crule joke that is being played on us. It's hard to undersand why you think they may not be joking, did you forget what tomorrow is? April 1st better know as april fools day. This is just a build up for some joke where you click the BBS link and you see 0 posts in each forum and you click it and everything is as usual. I think i may like the lit portal, i can submit all my poetry that i enjoy to write :::yes you heard me:::

At 3/31/09 09:00 PM, Ismael92 wrote: I still think it's a joke... And if it's not... O well, we'll have to move on... Some mod or admin said that not all the BBS would be deleted, places like the Flash forum will stay since they help people out.

I don't think i would visit the site very much if this forum did not exist, the Wi/Ht is where i live on this site and i refuse to loose it. That and maby 1 or 2 others will be saved, the rest can rest in peace.

And last year there wasn't any big joke, I think. Wasn't it "Poo grounds - Everyone does it"? Or was that the year before? I'm lost :/

Ya, they just changed the banner to poogrounds with ebaumsworld and the rick rolled thing. Not much of a joke if you ask me, but somewhat funny. Oh yes this was last year.

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 21:59:15

At 3/31/09 04:58 PM, Ismael92 wrote:
Wait what? 24? There are only boys from 9 to 12 years old. So you're kinda breaking 2 rules here, you're a girl, and you're, as far as I know, older than 30.

<mock anger>
Oh, so just because I don't have a penis means I can't keep up with you guys? And despite the fact that it's impolite to broadcast a woman's age, yeah, I'm over 30 - and I'm running circles around you right now - at least until I get back to work.

Rules? Hah! I scoff at those rules! *SCOFF* *SCOFF*

Didn't realize I was intruding on the "He-Man-Woman-Hater's-Club" (and for all you kiddies under 20, go ahead and google that under "Little Rascals TV Episodes")
</mock anger>

Yeah it's better to just laugh off, like Jade, who keeps mentioning her dick and stuff, I always laugh at those posts.

Jade is definitely unique - and not afraid to speak her mind. You go, girl!

As for sarcasm and humor - you do realize I'm laughing as I write this, and do not, for one moment, expect you to take me seriously!!!!

It's all good...

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 22:07:47

At 3/31/09 09:00 PM, Ismael92 wrote: And last year there wasn't any big joke, I think. Wasn't it "Poo grounds - Everyone does it"? Or was that the year before? I'm lost :/

it was... http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/8860 83

also... it's a joke... i mean, c'mon
the bbs...
maybe they will close General... but not the BBS

right now, every site has a forum... so i don't think Ng will take it away
XD

in other topic... i have been checking the last post on the NGPD... the battle of power still, well kind of
you should read how is it doing

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 22:32:21

At 3/31/09 10:07 PM, aldlv wrote: also... it's a joke... i mean, c'mon
the bbs...

Tom won't close anything, whether for reals or for funnzies. Closing General would divert many NG users away from the site, since they can't post.

I'm thinking that Tom will make a post saying that his kid died. I'm sure that if April found out, Tom will never have sex again and never be able to live that down, but it could be a good joke if well done. The problem is that it needs to be well done.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 22:44:51

At 3/31/09 10:32 PM, TheThing wrote:
At 3/31/09 10:07 PM, aldlv wrote: also... it's a joke... i mean, c'mon
the bbs...
Tom won't close anything, whether for reals or for funnzies. Closing General would divert many NG users away from the site, since they can't post.

I'm thinking that Tom will make a post saying that his kid died. I'm sure that if April found out, Tom will never have sex again and never be able to live that down, but it could be a good joke if well done. The problem is that it needs to be well done.

I doubt if Tom would do such a "joke" as mess around and say something bad happened to the kid. That's bad Kharma. I can, however, see him temporarily reset all of our stats and counts to zero, and make us all noobs for the day - only to return us to our rightful status on 4/2

Image the look on the stat-whore's faces (including mine) if they lost ALL of their stats and thought they had to start from scratch. Woo Hoo!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-03-31 23:04:35

At 3/31/09 10:44 PM, byteslinger wrote: I doubt if Tom would do such a "joke" as mess around and say something bad happened to the kid. That's bad Kharma. I can, however, see him temporarily reset all of our stats and counts to zero, and make us all noobs for the day - only to return us to our rightful status on 4/2

Image the look on the stat-whore's faces (including mine) if they lost ALL of their stats and thought they had to start from scratch. Woo Hoo!

i will piss my pants...
i mean... my stats deleted?... crap
it would be the perfect fools day...

also making them all lvl 1.. (and maybe gold aura) would be great

let see if the Chat is involved tomorrow XD

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-04-01 00:15:23

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1044 921

Would that now be the main thread on this?
and lol @ NG log. Go try it now, you'll die a little inside.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-04-01 01:17:01

Disregard last post. That thread is now locked and everything seems to be in order.
Sorry for the double, as well.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-04-02 03:57:45

Now that everything is more or less back to normal, there are quite a few flash lurking off page 1 of the portal that are under judgement. The filters are being removed, so you don't get the ministry of Chinese Misinformation telling you you can't watch this any more. Look at them all in turn, because there are some funny ones labelled in amongst the crap that we couldn't get to yesterday.

Still, a rare 70 B/P day and I even got to go and see Watchmen in the middle of that, yesterday. Not bad at all!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-04-02 03:58:46

Well what did everyone think of the joke? I thought it was very clever and funny. But not being able to post a pain but it was funny the messages and censorship. I could not watch any M rated content. But its cool better then last year although the fate of the BBS is still uncertain users saying its still going. Forums up and working. Loads of under judgment stuff. Funny because the spammers who were trying to submit adult stuff could not so it was kinda odd that. I think emicions are cool and the mod aura is wicked and the picture like a admin is odd want the old look back though.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-04-02 06:09:15

It's Stolen(Check out the author e-mail address), furthermore it's too hardcore porn

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-04-02 06:51:15

Hey guys, I hope everything is doing well here. I'm posting now to tell you that my current inactivity is due to an exchange with a Swedish highschool so I don't have too much time to get near the computer. I'll be back on Monday.

Have a nice day.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2009-04-02 09:19:51

At 4/2/09 03:58 AM, phantomlassuk wrote: Well what did everyone think of the joke? I thought it was very clever and funny.

Way better than last year. Tom definately put a lot of effort into that, and it turned out really well.
Check out my userpage to see a list of all of the changes in the posts yesterday. some of them are pretty funny. Tell me if you saw more.

But not being able to post a pain but it was funny the messages and censorship.

It really kept me off the site yesterday. I only went on to create the list from above.

:I think emicions are cool and the mod aura is wicked and the picture like a admin is odd want the old look back though.

I did like how the emiocons were all Chinese smiley faces, and that we all had a picture of the Chinese dictator. I thought that was pretty funny. Same with our profiles; they gave us a picture of the diety whistle, and a Chinese version of Supreme Commander.