00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Duckyellow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rome Total War Club

94,688 Views | 807 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-02-25 16:44:16

sonce today i'm the proud member of the rome total war gold edition!
including:
RTW and the official expansion pack: barbarian invasion.
can i join? don't know if i'll post a lot though.
well, off to play!

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-02-25 21:27:45

At 2/24/06 12:31 AM, Warhammer_40K wrote: stuff

Did you set your team to defense? If you set theirs to defense then chances are they won't attack you :P

At 2/24/06 12:55 AM, Velocitom wrote: stuff

I'm not sure why your spearman routed. Though at higher difficulties even a full unit of spearmen can't take on some calvalry units. Be they elite calvalry, General's Bodyguar, or just veterans, there's plenty of units that can kill even spearmen on Hard or Very Hard difficulties.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-02-25 21:47:24

At 2/25/06 09:27 PM, RavenGage wrote: I'm not sure why your spearman routed.

I found out later they had extremely low morale, and fighting cavalry didnt boost their confidence.

Though at higher difficulties even a full unit of spearmen can't take on some calvalry units. Be they elite calvalry, General's Bodyguar, or just veterans, there's plenty of units that can kill even spearmen on Hard or Very Hard difficulties.

With the right strategy cavalry can take on any type of spearmen. Be they militia phalanx, or the two turned spartan phalanxes.

Have someone distract the phalanx (most likely spear or archer cavalry) and have another cavalry swoop in behind and kill as many before they turn around. Get your horses out of there and do the same thing over and over again. Phalanxs fail without any sort of backup, I learned that the hard way when I sent a group of 800 hoplites into the macedonians area which was a death sentence since macedonians rely heavy on their shock cavalry.

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.

PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-02-26 13:23:46

At 2/25/06 09:27 PM, RavenGage wrote:
Did you set your team to defense? If you set theirs to defense then chances are they won't attack you :P

Naw this was just a regular match, no defenses at all. British grasslands, no town defenses or anything of that sort. Most confused I was.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-02-26 14:33:50

I got a new disc today and it worked. :)
So this game is excellent, the best strategy game I've played.
My quickest battle, was defending a city against the Gaul.
We both had around 150 soldiers each.
The battle lasted around 30 seconds, they retreated straight away!

And yes I am in the early stages.

GT - LedgeyNG, Steam - Ledgey91, PSN - LedgeyNG

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-02-28 05:49:01

I haven't played RTW for a while, but recently i started playing it again. I continued the Egyption campaign. I quonquered most of Africa, just 3 Scipii and 1 Numidian city. But the progress is kinda stopped, because Cartage, Thapsus and Lescips Magna are riotting all the time, so i need my army there and i can't really train much troops, because i have to repear my fleets there all the time. They have a hard time trying to controll the sea. So i'm sending some troops from other cities, but that takes more time. I now also invaded Greece, i saw that there were only a few cohorts in all the cities there, but when i took one city, suddenly the Brutii are sending about anything they got at me, i just narrowly one a battle (in which i killed 3 family members), so i trained a diplomad, so i can bribe all their soldiers.

I also found a good way of defeating phalanxes with cavalery. I used 1 cohort of desert cavalery to draw a cohort of hoplites to them, and then i attacked the hoplites in the back with egyption cariots and while the hoplites were turning i attacked them from the other side with the desert cavalery and then they routed.

Do you ever attack the enemy from a city which is besieged before they have a chance to built siege equipment? I do that quite often, it may not look fair, because they can't do anything (that is if you have stone walls or better), but it's their choice to get in range of my archers.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-03-11 02:38:53

At 2/28/06 05:49 AM, D34M0N wrote: Do you ever attack the enemy from a city which is besieged before they have a chance to built siege equipment? I do that quite often, it may not look fair, because they can't do anything (that is if you have stone walls or better), but it's their choice to get in range of my archers.

That's my favorite way of defense. I held against the Britons for 10 years using just 6-8 archer auxilia troops. I had stone walls (later large stone walls) and my archers managed to devastate about half a dozen full armies before the Britons stopped attacking.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-03-24 10:31:26

How well are people doing in general? I've completed the Gallic campaign on Normal difficulty with huge unit sizes (the immensest battles EVER) and I'm trying to do the same with all factions. Also, what is everyone's favourite faction? Mine's the Seleucids, cause they get phalanxes AND cohorts, Heavy Onagers, Scythed Chariots, Cataphracts, decent Archers, AND Elephants, making them the most versatile faction I know, AND they're bloody LOADED! I spend most of my time bribing everyone! Up thye Seleucids!

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-03-24 14:38:54

I enjoyed the Seleucids too.My top 3 favorite factions are the Julli,Seleucids,and Germania although Carthage is somewhere up there too.

I couldnt wait to get the silver shield legionaries troops but I won the game before I could reach the level where you can start training them.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-03-25 08:44:22

At 3/24/06 10:31 AM, Leonardo_Da_Finchy wrote: How well are people doing in general? I've completed the Gallic campaign on Normal difficulty with huge unit sizes (the immensest battles EVER) and I'm trying to do the same with all factions. Also, what is everyone's favourite faction? Mine's the Seleucids, cause they get phalanxes AND cohorts, Heavy Onagers, Scythed Chariots, Cataphracts, decent Archers, AND Elephants, making them the most versatile faction I know, AND they're bloody LOADED! I spend most of my time bribing everyone! Up thye Seleucids!

yeah loved the sel's especially their versatile units like you said, but they are trapped between egypt, pontus and parthia, all 3 not trade like country's and very war-like, also i found it hard to keep the main city's mine cuz egypt just keeps on pooping out army's,

im currently doing a brutii ( very hard, i have 3 city's in greece and patavium, along with the starter towns off course, my politics are great : im popular with the senate AND the people, both about 7-8 points or wat ever those things are, also i hold every single office in the senates office list thingy,

but i guess my fav campaign would be the julii or armneians, im armenian my self so its kinda funny to play as them since armenia isnt all that well-known

deeeerp

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-03-25 14:48:17

I don't think you can play as Armenia,the closest you can play as them are the Parthians.

I think all the Eastern factions are lame.Only the Seleucids,Pontus,and Egypt are descent Eastern empires.I enjoyed the Roman,Barbarian,factions and carthage.I just wish I could play as Spain,Scythia,Thrace etc.Why doesnt the game just let you play the non playable factions?

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-03-25 14:49:50

war!

Rome Total War Club

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-03-26 12:13:54

Right now Im playing as Egypt after them I only have the Parthians to play as.Im not looking forward to it because Parthia isnt that great they barely have any descent soldiers.

Egypt is said to be the best non Roman faction in the game,they have so many different powerful units.Im not capturing as much regions as Id like to so Im going to be changing my strategy.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-04-01 08:06:58

At 3/26/06 12:13 PM, -MuTe_EcHo- wrote: Right now Im playing as Egypt after them I only have the Parthians to play as.Im not looking forward to it because Parthia isnt that great they barely have any descent soldiers.

Egypt is said to be the best non Roman faction in the game,they have so many different powerful units.Im not capturing as much regions as Id like to so Im going to be changing my strategy.

well actually you can play as every faction except for the rebels :P
you just have to change 1 thing in the files, can't realy remember what and where and stuff, just google it and you'll find, and by the way the armenian and parthian factions are actually very powerfull if your realy good with horses, wich i happen to be :P

yeah still doing the bruttii campaign, got entire greece now, except for sparta :P im not rly looking forward to take it either, its full of the red hoplite fuckers, i just hate them so bad.
any ways i just are teh eviliest person alive >:)
so yeah im doing a kick ass job on the politics part, im having all the senate offices for about ten years now, but suddenly the julii faction leader got pontifex maximus thing, so im in total rage and recruit an assasin, train hium like hell (his subterfudge thing totally filled up) and send him to teh faction leader, now i get to segesta where he is and i see he's all alone, and as i get closer i see there's a full banner gaul army just next to segesta, ready to attack, then i see julii is busy sending reinforcements just before gaul can attack, now this is where my evilness comes in >:). so i send 3 barbarian horse mercaneries to segesta, block the way of the julii reinforcements so their faction leader has to fight all alone.

so i end the turn, as expected gaul kills the faction leader and the i found out the gaul army is lead by their faction leader, so i send my assasin to kill the gaul faction leader :P two faction leaders dead by my evilness :D :P

deeeerp

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-04-01 10:28:41

At 4/1/06 08:06 AM, mellow-muppet wrote:
At 3/26/06 12:13 PM, -MuTe_EcHo- wrote:
well actually you can play as every faction except for the rebels :P
you just have to change 1 thing in the files, can't realy remember what and where and stuff, just google it and you'll find, and by the way the armenian and parthian factions are actually very powerfull if your realy good with horses, wich i happen to be :P

Really?I'm going to have to google it,I would love to play as Scythia.the Armenians and parthians have the most worthy cavalry,my infantry (like the hoplites) always failed unless I somehow blocked the enemy calvalry.What makes parthia good is their powerful heavily armored horsemen(I forgot their name)

yeah still doing the bruttii campaign, got entire greece now, except for sparta :P im not rly looking forward to take it either, its full of the red hoplite fuckers, i just hate them so bad.
any ways i just are teh eviliest person alive >:)
so yeah im doing a kick ass job on the politics part, im having all the senate offices for about ten years now, but suddenly the julii faction leader got pontifex maximus thing, so im in total rage and recruit an assasin, train hium like hell (his subterfudge thing totally filled up) and send him to teh faction leader, now i get to segesta where he is and i see he's all alone, and as i get closer i see there's a full banner gaul army just next to segesta, ready to attack, then i see julii is busy sending reinforcements just before gaul can attack, now this is where my evilness comes in >:). so i send 3 barbarian horse mercaneries to segesta, block the way of the julii reinforcements so their faction leader has to fight all alone.

so i end the turn, as expected gaul kills the faction leader and the i found out the gaul army is lead by their faction leader, so i send my assasin to kill the gaul faction leader :P two faction leaders dead by my evilness :D :P

Lol,now thats using strategy.I like to trap an army with full banners and with a faction leader or faction heir in charge(sometimes both are in the army)and even though I may not be enemies with them Its just so tempting to kill all those men,when they cant retreat so none of them survives.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-04-02 05:15:51

I have a problem, I tried uninstalling my RTW and reinstalling, but the computer froze just before my RTW was fully uninstalled.
So now my computer doesnt recognize RTW on my hardware, but I cant install it because its not fully gone. So I tried manually deleting all of the files in my RTW folder, but it doesnt help. Any suggestions anyone?

In other news, I know this isnt Rome but I think this should also include Medieval Two Total War. The game comes out late 2006 and offers a lot of new features.

- Specialized attacks, combos, and real injuries.
- Different faces, no more clone armies. Every soldier has a different helmet, sword, crest and sheild.
- Larger map, and time period. From the crusades to the discovery of America.
- Interactive American country, the faction that can control America could reap in the wealth but not without resistant from other invading countries and mayans.
- Castles, you can choose whether a city becomes a military base (castle) or economic base (regular city). The castle can only produce military troops, and regular cities can only produce money.
- Religion, allies, and strategy more key. Two neighboring countries might be hostile towards each other if they believe in different gods, and allies are a much more vital role. They arent a permanent ceasefire anymore, now they will eagerly aid you in battles and supply you with food. But this also means allies are harder to obtain.
- Assasins, spies, prophets, and preisteses. Want to kill a dictator that is hurting your civilians? Want to see into a city farther than its inhabitants? Want to bring unrest in someone elses city by spreading your religion. Or do you want to strengthen/build an alliance by giving your first daughter as a gift.
Now all of those things are possible, oh and your able to witness assinations now.

The new game is going to be great, and personally I cant wait for it. For more info visit the following sites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_2:_T
otal_War
http://www.totalwar...munity/medieval2.htm

http://p223.ezboard...fshoguntotalwarfrm55

Rome Total War Club

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.

PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-04-02 06:22:23

I like the Seleucids too, but i don't think they're that good. Their infantery, except legionaires kinda suck. They are very vulnarable to archers. When playing as Egypt i whiped out whole cohorts with just a few waves of arrows from my archers. And pikemen fail on walls.
The faction i like most are the Romans, their infantery owns all, just like their navy.
I like the Egyptians too. They got much diversity. Well armoured spearmen to repel cavalery and hold a line and axemen to charge and fight on walls, and armoured archers which don't die so easy as normal archers, and the great numbers of the desert cavalery can easily overwhelm the enemy. And they got one of my favourite units, chariot archers. And they seem to be more furtile then other factions. I never really had a shortage of familymembers, while i once almost had none on the Scipii campaign.
I don't really like the barbarians, they are good at the start, but when the cities get bigger, they can't become better, while the civilized factions still can.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-04-08 04:49:38

At 4/1/06 10:28 AM, -MuTe_EcHo- wrote:
Lol,now thats using strategy.I like to trap an army with full banners and with a faction leader or faction heir in charge(sometimes both are in the army)

i love it when that happens, if i see an army with both factionleader and heir ( or sometimes just the faction leader) i instantly start to poop out wardogs, and heavy cavalry until i have about 2 wardogs and 3 cav's then i go into battle with teh faction army and just send all the dogs and horse men straight to the leader and heir, this will result in a huge loss for yourself AND the death of 2 important figures :D
also whenever i do that i get attacked like they going crazy, guess its a revenge thing :P

deeeerp

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-04-13 22:07:43

At 4/8/06 04:49 AM, mellow-muppet wrote:
At 4/1/06 10:28 AM, -MuTe_EcHo- wrote:
Lol,now thats using strategy.I like to trap an army with full banners and with a faction leader or faction heir in charge(sometimes both are in the army)
i love it when that happens, if i see an army with both factionleader and heir ( or sometimes just the faction leader) i instantly start to poop out wardogs, and heavy cavalry until i have about 2 wardogs and 3 cav's then i go into battle with teh faction army and just send all the dogs and horse men straight to the leader and heir, this will result in a huge loss for yourself AND the death of 2 important figures :D
also whenever i do that i get attacked like they going crazy, guess its a revenge thing :P

An awesome strategy to do is to get atleast 5 to 10 units of cavalry.Then send all the horsemen at the General of the enemy Army.By killing the leader the enemy Army they will fall apart lose moral at the loss of their leader and fall into disarray.They dont even attempt to fight back when retreating so Its easy pickings.I've killed up to 3,000 soldiers that way. :)

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-04-15 07:57:47

At 4/13/06 10:07 PM, -MuTe_EcHo- wrote: An awesome strategy to do is to get atleast 5 to 10 units of cavalry.Then send all the horsemen at the General of the enemy Army.By killing the leader the enemy Army they will fall apart lose moral at the loss of their leader and fall into disarray.They dont even attempt to fight back when retreating so Its easy pickings.I've killed up to 3,000 soldiers that way. :)

yeah that works great on normal level but it tends to fail on hard and very hard since your cavalry gets slaughterd most of the time before they can even touch the general

deeeerp

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-11-16 14:23:53

Any one ever played as Carthage btw? I'm stuggleing to stop scipii from taking over africa but I'm stopping julii from getting spain as i killed off spain lol. Just wodering if any ones got a tip to stopping Scipii?

Killing-joke Rule the waves! Rule britania!

Signature made by, TheRipper00 NG Signature Makers ] Guild Wars Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-12-01 00:49:05

Hey everyone. I just got the game and I'm hooked on it (that's why I haven't been on NG for awhile). I'm trying to conquer as the Julii.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery"

Personal Development

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-12-27 18:08:18

Guys, quit fooling around and get into the middle ages. It's where it's at.

Medieval 2: Total War is immense. I'm fooling around as France at the moment, it's a lot harder than R:TW, and there's a lot more rebel states at the beginning. I'm not doing too badly for myself at the moment, although nobody likes me, and the danish and Milanos are proving to be real buggers. I'm just mincemeating my way through the Holy Roman Empire though, stupid germans. I'm also just about to start murdering the English in their droves, I can attack them now they've been excommunicated, and I've dislodged them from Normandy.

Rome Total War Club

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-12-28 01:59:00

when i saw this thread i knew i needed to find something for everyone to enjoy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s3bWVaDSsLQ&mode=r elated&search=

161 spartans vs 4801 peasants.enjoy :)

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-12-28 08:20:55

At 12/27/06 06:08 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Guys, quit fooling around and get into the middle ages. It's where it's at.

Who's the orange faction?

Those Muslim guys the Spanish fought?

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-12-28 17:51:54

At 12/28/06 08:20 AM, kuroi-neko wrote:
At 12/27/06 06:08 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Guys, quit fooling around and get into the middle ages. It's where it's at.
Who's the orange faction?

Those Muslim guys the Spanish fought?

Yeah, the moors. They're my allies, though they're pretty shit.

In other news, I fucking hate the inquisitors. Just after I sent my heir off to Antioch to fight a holy crusade, I'm greeted with this message. My 8 star, 6 chivalry, 8 authority, 4 piousness leader. Burnt at the fucking stake. They ought to have laws against this.

And now the milanos have somehow weaseled their way into popedom. What the hell?

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2006-12-28 17:55:38

At 12/28/06 05:51 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: My 8 star, 6 chivalry, 8 authority, 4 piousness leader. Burnt at the fucking stake.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Rome Total War Club

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2007-01-01 10:05:12

Hello kids!

Have you ever thought about Rome Totalwar being abit unrealistic?
Was Arcani really super killler death ninja's of doom?
Abit puzzled about the senate having no power?

Then you should try the total conversion mod: Europa Barbarorum!!!

What you get:

* Larger world map
* Many new and more historical correct units
* Roman faction starts united
* ALL factions are playable (for obvious reasons, not rebels)
* A conversion that has educational value (its there, but you arent forced)
* More realistic governing and construction options (spain cannot build huge cities in russia)
* Larger E-penis
* Larger world map
* Even if you completed it, it feels revived (i conquered everything west of the steppe's as the Julii in the original)

And you get it all for FREE, right here! :D

I recommend it btw...

Heres a screenshot from the game, from left to right: Legionary Skirmishers or "Antesignani" (the spears), Elite legionaries or "Cohors Praetoriana", Re-enlisted legionaries or "Cohors Evocata", regular legionaries or "Cohors Imperatoria", legionary archers or "Cohors Sagittariorvm Levantinorvm".

Yay 1K posts!

FGSFDS

Response to Rome Total War Club 2007-01-01 14:25:18

Hmm.. the heavens dared to tell me you wanted a larger picture.

Heres a screenshot from the game, from left to right: Legionary Skirmishers or "Antesignani" (the spears), Elite legionaries or "Cohors Praetoriana", Re-enlisted legionaries or "Cohors Evocata", regular legionaries or "Cohors Imperatoria", legionary archers or "Cohors Sagittariorvm Levantinorvm".

Rome Total War Club

FGSFDS

Response to Rome Total War Club 2007-01-07 11:05:30

At 11/16/06 02:23 PM, Killing-joke wrote: Any one ever played as Carthage btw? I'm stuggleing to stop scipii from taking over africa but I'm stopping julii from getting spain as i killed off spain lol. Just wodering if any ones got a tip to stopping Scipii?

It's simple really just conquer sciliy if you hold that island the romans don't have enough money to make a succesful attack and when your ready build a massive army in carthage and slaughter every single roman in italy

The only probem with this tatic is that it needs to be done fast before scipii mange to renforce there city on sciliy.

btw can i join?