00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rome Total War Club

94,622 Views | 807 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-23 08:03:27

At 8/22/05 02:10 PM, deurwaarder wrote:
At 8/22/05 06:33 AM, mellow-muppet wrote:
btw this club is dead like shit, i hope everybody is just on vacasion (SP?)
i just got back myself
i'll be back this week :)

lots of ppl have vacations. at least, that's my case.

so where are you?
i went to spain :)

deeeerp

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-27 15:16:32

At 8/23/05 08:03 AM, mellow-muppet wrote:
so where are you?
i went to spain :)

Portugal + France (also have passed through: Belgium, Spain and Switserland)

sucks2beback

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-28 06:40:06

i want to play with germania. so int the hope to get that faction i wanted to finish with the seleucids and get rome. you know how much time i got to conquer rome? 12 freakin minutes!! fucking idiots. i have no patience so i have to do this

Unlock all factions
Run or go to \Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaig
n\descr_strat.txt then you will see a list of the nations you can use in the beginning the end unlockable ones and the non playables. cut and past the unplayable factions to the unlockable nations. then save it and close it. now you need to complete a campaign mode and all of the factions will be unlocked

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-28 10:38:12

the germans are cool to play with. i love theyr spear warband that can form a phalanx. you get atacked right away by britton and Gaul. i whnet to the east, north and south to conquer rebel cities. after a long time of RTW, the game shoed me something new: i had a flood ^_^ . the netherlands part got flooded and you seee the water on the land. sweet

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-29 01:00:24

I just finished a game with the Germanians and while their spearmen were useful at the very beggining of the game in early battles and conquering rebel cities, I still think it better to get rid of them as soon as possible. The reason being that they have an upkeep of 200 danarii. If they were better trained or equiped like the macedonian or greek phalanxes they'd be worth it, but as it stands axemen have better stats and lower upkeep. Now granted, the warband has 120 men as opposed to the axemen's 80, but I prefer quality over quantity. Plus I'm not that big of a phalanx fan to begin with.

Anyways, playing with the germans was fun, but I still prefer the "civilized" factions. Gothic cavalry and beserkers were damned fun to use, especially when using them to wipe out light roman infantry, the death ratio is about 20:1 ^_^

Also, has anyone ever tried chariots VS elephants. I know horses are better than infantry at taking them down, but I was wondering how chariots will do.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-29 21:11:06

I started a Julii gave at Very Hard (both battles and campaign). It's the first time I'm playing at Very Hard everything, and so far it's going great. Sicily is almost mine (Lilabelium, the Carthegenian city is falling in 2 turns time), the economy is holding itself up without much too much trouble, and the Gaul still haven't declared war.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-30 03:40:53

At 8/29/05 09:11 PM, RavenGage wrote: I started a Julii gave at Very Hard (both battles and campaign). It's the first time I'm playing at Very Hard everything, and so far it's going great. Sicily is almost mine (Lilabelium, the Carthegenian city is falling in 2 turns time), the economy is holding itself up without much too much trouble, and the Gaul still haven't declared war.

meh i just finifhed a julii game on hard battle and campaign.
after i took rome i just went on congquering (SP?)the brutii cuz becuz of them i couldnt grow further to the east when i was still buddies with em

meh i wanna start a new game, but i dont know with wich faction what do you guys think is a fun faction to play with? i already did the julii gaul spain seleucids germans and a lil bit with the armenians

deeeerp

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-30 18:00:30

At 8/29/05 01:00 AM, RavenGage wrote: I just finished a game with the Germanians and while their spearmen were useful at the very beggining of the game in early battles and conquering rebel cities, I still think it better to get rid of them as soon as possible. The reason being that they have an upkeep of 200 danarii. If they were better trained or equiped like the macedonian or greek phalanxes they'd be worth it, but as it stands axemen have better stats and lower upkeep. Now granted, the warband has 120 men as opposed to the axemen's 80, but I prefer quality over quantity. Plus I'm not that big of a phalanx fan to begin with.

i like phalanx loads. i loved playing with the seleucids. but with the seleucids you could get better and better phalanxes. and i know that is not the case with germany. i know sooneer or later like you say i will have problems with them. but about the axeman. today i was playing and i send i 1 phalanx through the gate but they where massively atacked so i send in my axemen. all whent ok but i forgot about them. later i saw the axemen again at the city center! still bashing and only with like 30 left. had them run away. i won the battle, and in the statistics i saw that they killed over 350 men to like 100/150 by a phalanx. for me that was the proof that they are usefull.

gaul are slowely dieing and i finally have boats to get the rest of britain. it always pisses me of that great civs die first. carthago only has one city at the moment and the seleucids are at war with so many (as usual). with the seleucids its easy to whipe out egypt.

btw i'm playing verry hard battle and hard campaign. but i should have done both verry hard. now there will be less chance in confronting advanced units :( . i like the challanges.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-30 20:52:53

At 8/30/05 06:00 PM, deurwaarder wrote: i like phalanx loads. i loved playing with the seleucids. but with the seleucids you could get better and better phalanxes. and i know that is not the case with germany. i know sooneer or later like you say i will have problems with them. but about the axeman. today i was playing and i send i 1 phalanx through the gate but they where massively atacked so i send in my axemen. all whent ok but i forgot about them. later i saw the axemen again at the city center! still bashing and only with like 30 left. had them run away. i won the battle, and in the statistics i saw that they killed over 350 men to like 100/150 by a phalanx. for me that was the proof that they are usefull.

Indeed. Though chosen axemen kind of dissapointed me. Normally when a unit is improved (axemen > chosen axemen) they get improved stats. Now their atttack is way better, but they actualy have weaker defense. They're good, but with a little more armour they could be much better.

gaul are slowely dieing and i finally have boats to get the rest of britain. it always pisses me of that great civs die first. carthago only has one city at the moment and the seleucids are at war with so many (as usual). with the seleucids its easy to whipe out egypt.

Sadly that can't be helped. If only Carthage Numidia and Spain didn't hate each other so much. But they do which makes it so easy for the Scipii to destroy Carthage.

btw i'm playing verry hard battle and hard campaign. but i should have done both verry hard. now there will be less chance in confronting advanced units :( . i like the challanges.

Very Hard battle is a pain.

As I said I'm playing Julii, and unit morale is patheticly low. 450 hastati against 9 elephants and they just started running. Elephants, not war or armoured elephants. River crossings are also a pain, and manualy resolving a battle (letting the AI control your armies) is pretty much suicide. Basically I'm fighting Gaul and Carthage, then Dacia shatterd our alliance and attacked me. So 3 enemies = lots of fighting. But I'm still making progress, albeit a lot slower than usual.

Thankfully the other factions are boxed in. The Cipii have nowhere to go as usual since Carthage and Sicily is the first place I attack whenever playing with Julii, but usualy the Brutii have conquered 10+ provinces by the time I take rome. But now I allied myself with the Greeks, therefore the Brutii can't attack them, and the Greeks boxed in the Brutii for me. ^_^

At 8/30/05 03:40 AM, mellow-muppet wrote: meh i wanna start a new game, but i dont know with wich faction what do you guys think is a fun faction to play with? i already did the julii gaul spain seleucids germans and a lil bit with the armenians

Egypt could make for a good game. The Greeks and Parthians can be interesting, but not necessarily fun. Te Greeks have pathetic cavalry and strong infantry, and the Parthians are vice versa. So that could make for some interesting battle tactics.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-31 14:26:38

hooray, there is one Carthago city left on the most left island next to spain. i have a aliance with all roman factions so they stopped atacking them. if they do i will go to war with them. i always have one faction that i protect just because i like them and because they are almost dead. with my seleucid game it was Numedia.

going to play some more now.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-08-31 16:24:05

2 gaul cities left: 1 in spain and one at the top right of italie. the top right city was the one i needed to cut off north italie from the rest. BUT, gaul made an aliance with the julii, bitches. WTF, normally those 2 are always at war >:( . Meh, i'll just concentrate on britain then. don't want a fullscale roman war...yet

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-01 02:04:37

At 8/31/05 04:24 PM, deurwaarder wrote: 2 gaul cities left: 1 in spain and one at the top right of italie. the top right city was the one i needed to cut off north italie from the rest. BUT, gaul made an aliance with the julii, bitches. WTF, normally those 2 are always at war >:( . Meh, i'll just concentrate on britain then. don't want a fullscale roman war...yet

That can't last long. The game mechanics don't permit it. Some factions always fight, despite short term alliances. As for Carthage, don't worry, that city is always the last one to fall since noone seems to care enough to go to that island. I don't think in all my games I've seen ANYONE attack that island (aside from myself).

Anyways, just finish off the damned british and tell us when you get to rome. That's where it gets really interesting.

As for me, the everyone seems to put up a good fight at first, but they all fall in the end. Carthage for example, they had 2 dozen elephans the bastards. And with my troops all being hastati without any semblance of morale, it took a damned while until I got it. And now it's revolting >_<

Dacia betrayed me, and they put up a good fight too. Killed 2-3 thousand of my guys thanks to their damned archers (who they never used on lower difficulties). But then I I got some archers of my own and wasted them. Cuz while my guys get killed by arrows, theirs get slaughtered (they have only falxmen = no armour or shields = arrows pwn)).

Finally there's Gaul, hell they even re-captured Malissa after I took most of her garisson to fight in Carthage. But by then I had with Dacia and Carthage under control, and alliance with Germania Numidia and Thrace (all of my other neighbors) and several dozen thousand danrii. Meaning that Gaul cities fell one after another. There's only 3 left now.

PS: Onagers = kick ass. 3 onager units results in 200-400 Gauls killed before the melee fighting even begins.

PSS: Stop by here when you decide to invade either Dacia or Rome. Those wars can be pretty interesting.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-05 11:30:26

Finally, I got that Greek peninsula. They still have 5+ provinces in Thrace and asia, but their base of power is down and they have no more large armies, at least none that I can see. And even so, they're still the largest power after myself and Egypt. And they have an alliance with Egypt. That's exacly the last thing I need, my 2 strongest enemies allying against me >_<

WHat finally won it was the onagers and preatorian cohorts. I used all types of troops throughout the war, anything from Hastati, to Archers, to Legionaires. Pretty much everything there is except pigs/dogs and peasants. But out of everyone the preatorians and onagers kicked the most ass.

And this war with Greece has completely exhausted me financially. I need more of those cheap small border cities, that bring in thousands of farming income. So I'm conquering Spain right now, it shouldn't be too hard, barbarians fail when controled by the AI.

Anyways, when I'm done with the resy of their cities I'll be declaring war on Britania and Dacia. There's also Scythia and Germania but I've been allies with them for the last 50 years (100 turns) so I don't think I'll attack just now.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-05 12:36:16

hi can i join!

Remember kids violence does not solve anything!.......................... BUT A 44. MAGNUM WILL :D

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-05 12:41:04

yes or no?

Remember kids violence does not solve anything!.......................... BUT A 44. MAGNUM WILL :D

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-05 17:56:14

At 9/5/05 12:36 PM, jam32127 wrote: hi can i join!

sure you can :)

just play the game and share your experiences about this awsome game.

again, i have paused on my RTW activities : /

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-05 19:18:32

May I join?

Well, seeing as I might as well talk about something, I wanted to ask why the Parthian Infantry is so horrible... the pink pajama suits and all - I had at least 12 units once against a few cavalry and infantry from the Selucid Empire - it was a slaughter...

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Review Request Club // Former Wi/Ht? Regular

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-06 22:19:34

I was brainstorming ways to kill chariots and I think barbarian mercenaries will be best. They're cheap and expandable. They'll suffer lots of casualties but with sheer numbers they'll kill the chariots who have very low defence (at least the light chariots do).

The one time I sort of tested this it didn't work so well. But one half-test is no big deal. What do you people think? The idea have any merit?

At 9/5/05 07:18 PM, SardonicRobot wrote: Well, seeing as I might as well talk about something, I wanted to ask why the Parthian Infantry is so horrible... the pink pajama suits and all - I had at least 12 units once against a few cavalry and infantry from the Selucid Empire - it was a slaughter...

Because you're not meant to use them. Parthia strictly a horse country. The infantry is there for siege eqipment or simply as battle fodder to hold the enemy while the cavalry charges, They're not meant to do any real fighting so don't rely on them.

I

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-06 22:36:32

At 9/6/05 10:19 PM, RavenGage wrote: I was brainstorming ways to kill chariots and I think barbarian mercenaries will be best. They're cheap and expandable. They'll suffer lots of casualties but with sheer numbers they'll kill the chariots who have very low defence (at least the light chariots do).

The one time I sort of tested this it didn't work so well. But one half-test is no big deal. What do you people think? The idea have any merit?

Wouldn't onagers or ballistas do the trick? I would think elephants (although high cost and probably not worth it) also could defeat them. And the hoplites as well - Imagine the chariots charging into a row of spears - a slaughter.

At 9/5/05 07:18 PM, SardonicRobot wrote: Well, seeing as I might as well talk about something, I wanted to ask why the Parthian Infantry is so horrible... the pink pajama suits and all - I had at least 12 units once against a few cavalry and infantry from the Selucid Empire - it was a slaughter...
Because you're not meant to use them. Parthia strictly a horse country. The infantry is there for siege eqipment or simply as battle fodder to hold the enemy while the cavalry charges, They're not meant to do any real fighting so don't rely on them.

Meh... I've learned my lesson since then - if I need infantry that badly, I can hire mercenaries from outside lands (high costs but quick and easy) - I dunno though - I still think that it's sort of dumb that their cavalry is incredible and infantry is just plain bad...

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-06 22:51:06

At 9/6/05 10:36 PM, SardonicRobot wrote: Wouldn't onagers or ballistas do the trick? I would think elephants (although high cost and probably not worth it) also could defeat them. And the hoplites as well - Imagine the chariots charging into a row of spears - a slaughter.

Sorry, I forgot to specify I'm playing with the Romans. So phalanxes and Elephants are a no no. And I'd rater use onagers on more tightly packed troops. They work against chariots, but they chariots are both hard to hit and fast enough to kill any onagers.

Meh... I've learned my lesson since then - if I need infantry that badly, I can hire mercenaries from outside lands (high costs but quick and easy) - I dunno though - I still think that it's sort of dumb that their cavalry is incredible and infantry is just plain bad...

I don't like it either. But it's historically correct so I suppose that's why they decided to go for it.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-06 22:53:11

At 9/6/05 10:51 PM, RavenGage wrote:
At 9/6/05 10:36 PM, SardonicRobot wrote: Wouldn't onagers or ballistas do the trick? I would think elephants (although high cost and probably not worth it) also could defeat them. And the hoplites as well - Imagine the chariots charging into a row of spears - a slaughter.
Sorry, I forgot to specify I'm playing with the Romans. So phalanxes and Elephants are a no no. And I'd rater use onagers on more tightly packed troops. They work against chariots, but they chariots are both hard to hit and fast enough to kill any onagers.

I normally do too - but remember, one quick ride to Numidia and Egypt, and I believe somewhere on the map are mercenary elephants. - I'm just fishing ideas out of a hat...

I don't like it either. But it's historically correct so I suppose that's why they decided to go for it.

Yeah... that's why I now normally play Rome... made it to the Marius Reforms... and then I accidently uninstalled the game *cries*...

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-06 23:14:50

At 9/6/05 10:53 PM, Mariofan22 wrote: I normally do too - but remember, one quick ride to Numidia and Egypt, and I believe somewhere on the map are mercenary elephants. - I'm just fishing ideas out of a hat...

Yeah, that probably would be one of the best options. Or Mercenary Hoplites as you said.

Yeah... that's why I now normally play Rome... made it to the Marius Reforms... and then I accidently uninstalled the game *cries*...

Ooooh. That's a pain. The Marius reforms are when the real roman inantry shines through. I like Hastati and all but Preatorians kick major ass. Except against chariots >_<

2 Units of preatorians, each woth 90% of their strenght left and they just start routing instead of fighting the chariots. And I thought they had good morale! But those British will get what's coming to them. Soon now Rome should outlaw me and I can conquer the Brutii and Scipii adding major amounts of gold and cities which can then make preatorians and urbans which can then wipe out Britain which can then make me very happy indeed. ^_^

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-12 19:52:53

i tried with the parthians. daaaamnn, i stopped because taking over a city with melee cavalry is a pain. the infantry indeed sucks. but then i played the seleucids and they belong to the top 5 factions for sure.

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-12 20:19:37

There is nothing more satisfiying than charging the enemy with war elephants. I'm almost done conquering the Germans in my Juliu campagain. Is it just me or do the Germania always back stab you if you make an alliance?

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-14 02:40:22

At 9/12/05 08:19 PM, Discoman wrote: There is nothing more satisfiying than charging the enemy with war elephants. I'm almost done conquering the Germans in my Juliu campagain. Is it just me or do the Germania always back stab you if you make an alliance?

Lots of countried back stab you. I guess its just different for every game. Numidia usualy back stab me 5 turns after the alliance. In my latest game though we've been allied for 124 years (248 turns) now. Same goes for Germania (and everyone else), been allied with them for about 200 turns too.

At 9/12/05 07:52 PM, deurwaarder wrote: i tried with the parthians. daaaamnn, i stopped because taking over a city with melee cavalry is a pain. the infantry indeed sucks. but then i played the seleucids and they belong to the top 5 factions for sure.

I doucln't agree more. Just try to lure the enemy army out of the city, or wait for them to sally out and then waste them. You can just run around the map until the timer runs out and then its a draw. And you win the siege since they couldn't get a succesfull sally. :P

At 9/13/05 09:24 AM, Britkid wrote: I think that's how you're meant to get Rome.

Yup, it is.

Anyway, I just started conquering all the countrys I wanted and started ignoring the Senate. In true fashion they didn't like this although the people did so they decided to outlaw me. Rome itself was really easy to take but it's the other Romans that were the problem. Up til then we had been living side by side so I didn't really think of a reason why to get a big garrison in some of my internal towns. Anyway then I got annoyed and quit that one.

WOWZA! You did NOT just tell me you quit a roman faction >_< ;)

Rome > all. The civil wars are one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me, a good challange and a chance to get the Senate back for all their bitching.

Now I'm Carthage and have wiped out Scippi and Julli and have whole Italy apart from Rome which I'm about to invade. I also hold all the bits on the other side of the Aegan. Elephants rock, the War and Armoured ones are invincible.

Which difficulty? :P

Anyways, the key to the civil wars on any difficulty is to win them before they start.

I play with Julii and the FIRST thing I conquer is Sicily. That's right, Sicily. The little island that's supposedly 100% Scipii property. And right after that make a turn east and box in the Brutii too.

Box in = conquer the provinces directly in their expansion path. The AI is too dumb to go around you land so they just stand still until you declare war on them. Usualy both roman factions combined have less than 20% of my total terriotories because they couldn't expand.

That's what I do at least. It worked on easy and it worked on Very Hard so I guess its a good strategy :P

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-14 15:50:32

At 9/6/05 11:14 PM, RavenGage wrote:
At 9/6/05 10:53 PM, Mariofan22 wrote: I normally do too - but remember, one quick ride to Numidia and Egypt, and I believe somewhere on the map are mercenary elephants. - I'm just fishing ideas out of a hat...
Yeah, that probably would be one of the best options. Or Mercenary Hoplites as you said.

Ooooh. That's a pain. The Marius reforms are when the real roman inantry shines through. I like Hastati and all but Preatorians kick major ass. Except against chariots >_<

2 Units of preatorians, each woth 90% of their strenght left and they just start routing instead of fighting the chariots. And I thought they had good morale! But those British will get what's coming to them. Soon now Rome should outlaw me and I can conquer the Brutii and Scipii adding major amounts of gold and cities which can then make preatorians and urbans which can then wipe out Britain which can then make me very happy indeed. ^_^

lol - I've never made it that far... I had to uninstall Rome Total War to make my computer run faster (didn't work... I upgraded it, and it works fine now) - It's a decision I regret...

Another fun tribe to play as is Gaul, as in the beggining, you have vast stretches of territory, and you can easily invade Rome... only problem is, your technology is horrible :(

Nomader ('No, mad, er').

Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-14 20:37:31

At 9/14/05 03:47 PM, Britkid wrote: Haha yeah Carthage is on normal and I'm gonna kick ass apart from the places where I can't get elephants yet. i.e. Spain.

Huh? Why shouldn;t you be able to get elephants there? =/

Just get them on a ship and move them to Spain. They're a unit just like everyone else. You'll need a powerful navy anyways. At least at the beggining Carthage is spread out on throughout the western Mediterranea (sp?) so ships are a must. And you know Rome and Spain will have many ships, they always do.

That's one of the few things i don't like about the game. Damned navies, and naval battles >_<

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-14 20:53:58

At 9/14/05 03:50 PM, Nomader wrote: Another fun tribe to play as is Gaul, as in the beggining, you have vast stretches of territory, and you can easily invade Rome... only problem is, your technology is horrible

LOL

That pretty much describes all the barbarians. :P

That's why I can't wait until the expansion set.

screenshots

info

Just look at those. The expansion sounds awesome as far as I can see :P

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-15 04:01:55

I thought this club died, good to see it's alive again. I don't come so often to NG anymore, so i haven't checked it earlier.
I now have succes with the Brittons. The Gauls only have about 2 cities left and the Germanians are getting weaker because they don't have enough monney anymore to keep training units. Headhurlers are fun and i just love the archer chariots. Sometimes i sent them in a battle they can't win (or hardly win), just to keep circiling around the enemy, frustrating them and killing lots of them, so i can defeat them easier with my main force in another battle.

BBS Signature

Response to Rome Total War Club 2005-09-16 10:31:41

At 9/15/05 04:01 AM, D34M0N wrote: I thought this club died, good to see it's alive again. I don't come so often to NG anymore, so i haven't checked it earlier.

Same here. I just came back last week and started posting again.

I now have succes with the Brittons. The Gauls only have about 2 cities left

So where to now? Spain, Germania, or Italy?

and the Germanians are getting weaker because they don't have enough monney anymore to keep training units.

A problems that the romans never have. You're in for a tough time against them ;)

Headhurlers are fun and i just love the archer chariots. Sometimes i sent them in a battle they can't win (or hardly win), just to keep circiling around the enemy, frustrating them and killing lots of them, so i can defeat them easier with my main force in another battle.

I hate light chariots when they're used against me. One of the hardest units to fight against, and that's when you're fighting the AI, I can't even begin to imagine what they'd be like in your hands :P

Thought I found that archer auxilia take them dow quite easily. The AI is dumb enough to let them sit still and shoot arrows at the archers, while the archers shoot arrows at them. And in a missile to missle battle archers win by a long shot. But that's just the AI's dumb mistake, not the unit's weakness.