00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

421,343 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-24 10:06:22

hello can i join pleasw my style is a little kimpo and alot of okinawa karate

i took kimpo for about 2 years when i was a kid, and i made it to blue belt in karate before we whent broke.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-24 11:02:55

What do you guys think is the most useful type of Martial Art to take?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-24 12:29:33

At 3/24/05 11:02 AM, Chridrew wrote: What do you guys think is the most useful type of Martial Art to take?

Most useful type really depends on the person. How big they are, their views on how to fight, many things determine it. You cant really say which is the best one cause they are have their ups and downs

At 3/24/05 10:06 AM, bakomusha wrote: hello can i join pleasw my style is a little kimpo and alot of okinawa karate

i took kimpo for about 2 years when i was a kid, and i made it to blue belt in karate before we whent broke.

Ya sure welcome to the club

This is how I kick your ass in real life. Martial Arts Club

And this is how I kick your ass in video games Super Smash Bros. Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-27 15:09:35

My family just came over which cut down on my training for a lil bit. Not necessarily a bad thing. Always good to take breaks thats what i say. I think i wont be quittin TKD because I need to not get emotional. Its really been akward around her though. We both know what the other is thinking but no one can say anything. Really weird

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-29 19:35:17

good sparring session today. i must say. i did all 5 of my martial arts today, instead of the normal 2 at a time. but it was great. each form seemed to flow into the next. i loved it today. i trained to some of my favorite songs, and this was just great. ever have that day that everything you wanted to happen went right? i'm trying to do this thing a Qua Te Chi master did, i study it so i thought i could do it. it's a "drink to the moon" kick. it was actually three kicks at once. it was jumping in the air, and lift yourself up by kicking towards the sky. no way i can do it any time soon. my bro can't, and he's 10 times better than me. guess 15 years of training really does something for ya huh?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-29 20:13:25

At 3/29/05 07:35 PM, BigLundi wrote: good sparring session today. i must say. i did all 5 of my martial arts today, instead of the normal 2 at a time. but it was great. each form seemed to flow into the next. i loved it today. i trained to some of my favorite songs, and this was just great. ever have that day that everything you wanted to happen went right? i'm trying to do this thing a Qua Te Chi master did, i study it so i thought i could do it. it's a "drink to the moon" kick. it was actually three kicks at once. it was jumping in the air, and lift yourself up by kicking towards the sky. no way i can do it any time soon. my bro can't, and he's 10 times better than me. guess 15 years of training really does something for ya huh?

Tight tight. But what are the styles you do, and which do you see yourself doing more of? And ive tried to do that little drink to the moon kick and it hurts when you fall. Trying to pull yourself up in order to get a little higher is no joke. Lost of ass bruises and nosebleeds are coming to you my friend.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-31 00:05:28

At 3/24/05 11:02 AM, Chridrew wrote: What do you guys think is the most useful type of Martial Art to take?

no one MA is more usefull for everybody than any other, for some it is TKD, for others Jui Jitsu, and for others it would be a form of Karate or maby Kung Fuu. it all depends on what your strenghts are. I cant really explain it any better.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-31 00:11:19

wow, this "drink to the moon kick" seems like it is hard, gonna have to ask one of the sensais how it is perfomed and try it. I wanna do this move if it is so hard.

personally I think that anything with a spinkick is hard, because I have somthing wrong with me, that makes me automaticlly fall whenever I try to spin to fast, docters say it has to do with some inner ear thing. So that sucks

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-31 05:58:38

even though im part of the ng samurai guild can i still join

i do hwa rang do (tae kwon doe) with master kim (his a legend)

i ve done this for about 3 years, i do it because im way better at kick then punching, and im flexible

i train with weapons a well, sword and short staff

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-31 17:01:36

At 3/31/05 12:11 AM, TheFaces wrote:
personally I think that anything with a spinkick is hard, because I have somthing wrong with me, that makes me automaticlly fall whenever I try to spin to fast, docters say it has to do with some inner ear thing. So that sucks

Personally i think doctors can shove it up their ass. But they sometimes make good points. You could try using ear plugs. Im not sure if it would work though

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-03-31 20:49:07

At the suggestion of someone in the General forum, I'm gonna start posting on this thread...however often I can. I'm currently studying Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut and Wing Chun from Sifu Chu. Sifu has many of the great masters in his lineage including Yip Man and has mastered HSCLF, Wing Chun, Northern Shaolin, Wong style Taijiquan, Iron Palm, and Dim Mok.
My dilemma is that I'm going to college out-of-state next year, and I don't know where I can continue to practice and learn. Does anyone here know any good kwoons around or near the D.C. area?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-02 16:42:27

At 3/31/05 08:49 PM, asahi wrote:
My dilemma is that I'm going to college out-of-state next year, and I don't know where I can continue to practice and learn. Does anyone here know any good kwoons around or near the D.C. area?

Well the DC area is a very TKD place. Most schools in the area are Tae Kwon Do. For those styles i'm not to sure. You could probably talk to your master/ sinsei/ teacher and they can find out what they have around here. Welcome to the club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-02 16:58:55

i have a orange belt at karate

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-04 22:20:29

At 4/2/05 04:58 PM, supershadic1 wrote: i have a orange belt at karate

What specific style of karate do you take. Do you know?

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-09 17:56:19

In the last three weeks, I've increased my strength capacity by up to 10 kilos!

Thank the Great Ethereal Cow for girl-push-ups! No joint pain for me!
The only problem with them is that you have to do like 60 or so of them to actually feel it with my weight.

Damn.....no iaijutsu dojos in my area....except for the "UNC Kendo Club", which is part of the "Triangle Kendo and Iaido", which would be wierd to enter, since I'm not in college yet.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 13:48:51

Done karate, left it dont know why, got up to yellow belt.

Took up aikido. Aikido kicks arse, but i got my arse kicked one practice and my spines never been the same since. I will go back though.

Aikido is the best art for the smaller weaker, faster man, at least thats the message i get from it :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 16:04:43

At 4/10/05 01:48 PM, SpamWarrior wrote: Done karate, left it dont know why, got up to yellow belt.

Took up aikido. Aikido kicks arse, but i got my arse kicked one practice and my spines never been the same since. I will go back though.

Aikido is the best art for the smaller weaker, faster man, at least thats the message i get from it :)

Aikido rules. I'm fourth kyu. Do you have any bruises from doing Yonkyo? I do. Plus the various bruises from getting thrown into the wall and getting occasionally brakefalled without being prepared, my fault. What is your dojo's name? And what shihan do you guys hail from?

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 16:06:30

Sup mac,

I know i don't post here much, I have enough stuff to deal with.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 16:51:05

At 4/10/05 04:04 PM, Grim_T wrote:
At 4/10/05 01:48 PM, SpamWarrior wrote: Done karate, left it dont know why, got up to yellow belt.

Aikido rules. I'm fourth kyu. Do you have any bruises from doing Yonkyo? I do. Plus the various bruises from getting thrown into the wall and getting occasionally brakefalled without being prepared, my fault. What is your dojo's name? And what shihan do you guys hail from?

Heh, i cant reveal it, as it would give away information about where i live, but i dont think any of the official places like us. We're no Yoshinkan anyway. We're a "soft" style only place. I have no bruises from aikido cos i tried doing a forward roll from moving, and landed on my head. My spines not quite right yet. LOL at "soft" style. The soft style movements are the ones that break arms :)

I never got bruises from the twisting mostions, but the grip of some of the people was severe.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 19:49:18

the more i come here, the more i see that ne of the more popular styles is TaeKwonDo

i find that odd, maybe it's just people around here, but people who have taken TaKwonDo around here have gotten their asses kicked in actual fights. maybe it's just their self-discipline or something.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 20:17:55

At 4/10/05 07:49 PM, BigLundi wrote: the more i come here, the more i see that ne of the more popular styles is TaeKwonDo

i find that odd, maybe it's just people around here, but people who have taken TaKwonDo around here have gotten their asses kicked in actual fights. maybe it's just their self-discipline or something.

Maybe its just me, but people dont realise that boards do not hit back. Indeed, gaining toughness of limb can be good, and power. But arrogance and complacency is what will get you killed.

Maybe the people who do tae kwon do who get battered are doing the wrong art for them?

I'd be interested to see a tae kwon do master versus an aikido master. both are equally fearsome, but if both follow form, who would win? The standard answer is that neither can win, as both have seen nirvana and way of the universe.

Eg, the tae kwon do master could break the aikido's nose in about 3 seconds, yet the aikido man could in theory counter it and snap the punching arm in three places.

It'd be a gloriously horrible victory for small weak shortarses :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 21:56:31

At 4/10/05 04:51 PM, SpamWarrior wrote: stuff

Heh. I have only gotten bruises from Aikido, but that's inevitable, as ppl aren't perfect. And I haven't gotten my ass beat in a fight since I got to fourth kyu, though I'm nowhere near perfect. And our style is a softer style of aikido (we follow T.K. Chiba shihan). We don't hurt ppl that often, it's just that yonkyo puts pressure on the nerve nexus in your forearm/wrist for omote, and puts pressure on the side of your bone on ura.

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-10 23:17:25

At 4/10/05 09:56 PM, Grim_T wrote:
At 4/10/05 04:51 PM, SpamWarrior wrote: stuff
Heh. I have only gotten bruises from Aikido, but that's inevitable, as ppl aren't perfect. And I haven't gotten my ass beat in a fight since I got to fourth kyu, though I'm nowhere near perfect. And our style is a softer style of aikido (we follow T.K. Chiba shihan). We don't hurt ppl that often, it's just that yonkyo puts pressure on the nerve nexus in your forearm/wrist for omote, and puts pressure on the side of your bone on ura.

i've got a gammy wrist from a rollerblading accident, so its all painful. The limb pain i can take, its just the spine pain that really scares me. Moral of the story, never mix psychedelics and martial arts, its never a happy ending.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-11 17:04:06

Article of Tom's life #1299430709701345828287734692783674

I live in a suburban neigborhood, the kind of place where carrying around a real weapon would scare these people. I don't have a "real" weapon, so I'm kind of safe from that. However, my friends and I sometimes "train", and occasionally spar; as in, I put on hockey gear and try to parry my friend's polearm attacks.

However, on of my friends is insane. When I spar, I try not to hurt the enemy; When he spars, he doesn't quite factor that in. I mean, he wouldn't kill me, but he isn't quite as hesitant as me.

Basically, he makes gigantic weapons and spars with them. Now, the weakness of a gigantic weapon will always be it's speed; some of the things he uses have a full three-second weakness. I could rush up and attack at that time easily enough, but I might hurt him.

My point is, this guy refuses to #1: fight on equal terms, #2: use padding, or #3: hate to attack.

I'm against simple street fighting, by the way. I think some kind of competition is fine, but raw street fighting is kind of stupid. It's just that this guy never uses any normal weapons, and usually doesn't do all this safely. I haven't sparred with him in a while because of that.

This guy just found a three foot long metal pole with sixteen long chains coming off of it. I have a bokken, minus nine centimeters of its full length.

Seeing how dangerous that fight would be, I will continue not to spar with him. He has a completely different concept of combat.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-11 17:10:18

OMG PEOPLE CAME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

I was getting worried. I didnt feel like triple posting so i decided to wait. To the guy who wants to join, of course you can all martial artist are welcome regardless of experience, rank, and type of martial arts. If you want put a link in your sig to the club.

To akula. YOUR BACK!!!!!!!!1..... AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOu havent posted in a while, and like everyone you have your reasons. So welcome back. So hows your training going, Get any better. Probably did but im not gonna guess.

And to toms little diary thing.

I also dont like sparring people who lose control while sparring, which is half the people in my school, but i use that as an advantage. You get to sloppy when mad.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-11 19:23:15

At 4/11/05 05:04 PM, Tombulgius wrote: stuff

Ohh.. your friend sounds fun. Slow and unwieldy weapons are an aikidoist's favorite. They are easy to harness the energy thereof, and they provide plenty of time to get out of the way. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-11 20:04:29

this is rediculous, i think there are people overestimating TaeKwonDo.
hear me out

my one friend has been taking it for 2 years and told me he bets he could kick my ass now that he has, well whatever the first belt in Adept levels is. so i accepted his challenge and kicked his ass. maybe it's just because he just sucks and no matter what moves on in the class, or perhaps TaeKwonDo sucks, or perhaps the fact that i learned the animal martial arts, drunken boxing and jeet kun do. but, i'm leaning towards TaeKwonDo sucks. can someone explain which theory(if any) is right?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-11 20:15:14

At 4/11/05 08:04 PM, thedarkguardian wrote: this is rediculous, i think there are people overestimating TaeKwonDo.
hear me out

my one friend has been taking it for 2 years and told me he bets he could kick my ass now that he has, well whatever the first belt in Adept levels is. so i accepted his challenge and kicked his ass. maybe it's just because he just sucks and no matter what moves on in the class, or perhaps TaeKwonDo sucks, or perhaps the fact that i learned the animal martial arts, drunken boxing and jeet kun do. but, i'm leaning towards TaeKwonDo sucks. can someone explain which theory(if any) is right?

Probably, he sucks. Generally, unless you are in a martial art where somebody attacks you during training (we do that in aikido) inexperienced (ppl who haven
't been black belt for a while) will feel overconfident, generally leaning towards him underestimating his opponent. The end result is he gets his ass kicked.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-11 22:17:27

At 4/11/05 08:04 PM, thedarkguardian wrote: this is rediculous, i think there are people overestimating TaeKwonDo.
hear me out

Mmmmmm. Okay here is what i think. Some people think that since they take a martial arts, that is it. When the truth is it really depends on the person. How dedicated they are, how focused they are, how strong they are, and how hard they train. By what you tell me I believe he is not so dedicated. He thinks all he needs to do is take Tae Kwon Do and thats it. I have a friend who used to take TKD and he says he could kick my ass. He says he was a black belt. If you met this kid right away you would know he couldnt. Sure he has a hundred pounds on me but this kid is just fat. Then when i tell him i would fight him if it would make him happy he just backs away and says something about a gun. The point is those who go around saying they could win just cause they take a martial arts usually have no stregnth at all.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2005-04-12 13:13:06

At 4/11/05 10:17 PM, dsmking wrote:

Anyone who tries to follow form in a real fight tends to get battered. Eg, if i was to try soft style aikido which is my form i'd get battered. Use your moves, but get creative ffs.