00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hyper-Neko-Gold just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt

1,651 Views | 15 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Artists: If you ever noticed your tags were changed to “loser” or “bob” after editing an existing art piece, this was due to an error in the Art Portal migration into the project system. It wasn’t a rogue mod or elite hacker, which is a relief!

What happened was a cautionary programming mistake; we were pulling tag names when we wanted ids, and anything that started with a number got linked to a real tag. In our database, “bob” is tag ID #2, and “loser” is ID #3. Stuff tagged with 3D appears to have been affected the most. 

This bug only impacted art from before September 25th that had numbers in the tags and was edited after the migration, so not too many pieces were impacted. Everything is now fixed, so it’s safe to edit your older art!

Expect a lot of news posts this month, as I’ll be announcing recipients of our Annual Drawing Tablet Giveaway while also highlighting cool things that happened on NG this year!

Drawing Tablet 3 - MasterHand4444

Today’s tablet recipient is @MasterHand4444, who has traditionally created art on paper or with a mouse but wants to take the plunge into digital art this year.

You may be more familiar with MasterHand4444 for his music and he hopes to use his new tablet to create cover art for his songs! Here’s some of his collab work from this year:

2023 Highlight - Treasure Hunt

In February, @SplatterDash and @The-Great-One revived the Newgrounds Treasure Hunt, where participants were invited to dig up gems on the site that hadn’t previously won awards or been featured on the front page.

The Treasure Hunt originally started in 2006 and ran through 2011. For the 2023 hunt, entries from January 1st, 2012 through February 3rd, 2023 were eligible for entry.

A panel of judges was assembled to sift through everything. The animation judges were @Capim and @MrShoeShine7, the game judges were @The-Great-One and @BrandyBuizel, the art judges were @Xinxinix and @Template88, while the music judges were @ZaneLittle and @Cyberdevil.

The Animation winner was A Very Hobo Hobo Christmas Special, by @HoboGuyCool and dug up by @zayJax.

In the time since the Treasure Hunt, HoboGuyCool has continued sharing great movies on NG, most recently introducing the Hobo_Funnie_Show!

The Game winner was Shoku's Treasures, by @lostSWFfiles2003 and dug up by @Catoblepas.

lostSWFfiles2003 has been relatively quiet since the hunt. Is a new gem on the way?

The Art winner was NONONONONO, by @Ryouhiko-Ankuu and dug up by GraceAndGlory.

Ryouhiko-Ankuu continues to share great art!

The Audio winner was Welcome To The Real World, by @WillRock and dug up by @CALDM2001.

WillRock most recently composed music for Battle Shapers!

Runner-Ups!

The Treasure Hunt winners were announced in May but I thought today would be a good time to explore some runner-ups who weren’t mentioned in the original post.

The first runner-up movie was Smile, a surprisingly violent MLP music video.

Other top-ranked movies included:

The first runner-up game was The Sun does not Exist, a strange adventure.

Other top-ranked games included:

The first runner-up art was Eyes, a creepy Halloween piece.

Other top-ranked art included:

The first runner-up music was Nuerotica, a song by Quarl that missed the front page!

Other top-ranked music included:

It’s been an adventure to sort through these runner-ups, hopefully some of them get the attention they’ve long deserved!

There are plans for another Treasure Hunt in 2024, although it will likely start later and be limited to entries from 2023.

Thank you once again to our Treasure Hunt Sponsors!

@The-Great-One - $500

@ornery - $150

@DrSevenSeizeMD - $102.17

@TheLoneStryder - $100

@CaperCube - $50

@3xBlastMx - $50

@GrantTheHierophant - $30

@DrunkGecko - $25

@53xy83457 - $20

BBS Awards Crew - $25

@butterspam - $10

@Deluzzz - $10

@ZabuJard - $1.69

Anon - $30

Thank you to our Drawing Tablet Sponsors!

@ScarecrowArts - $300

@Zombie-Pimp - $100

@MSGhero - $60

@WiseTree-BBH - $51

@53xy83457 - $50

@RaverNG - $50

@ItsTheAshtray - $50

@The-EXP - $50

@deadspread83 - $50

@GrapheneKid - $20

@butterspam - $10

@gavmcool - $10

@agentmc1 - $5

Previous Posts

Tablet 1 & Pixel Day

Tablet 2 & Flash Forward

Other News

Halloween Spooktacular Winners have been announced!

Last week we introduced Project Templates.

December 8th is the Gogo’s Crazy Bones Collab deadline.

December 10th is the William and Sly Art Contest deadline.

December 11th is The Sweet Sixteen Comic Contest deadline, with $1k in prizes!

December 20th is the NGTV Christmas Collab deadline.

January 1st is the start of Jamuary, a daily music challenge!

January 5th is the NG Meetup at Anime Los Angeles, hosted by @QueenBoo and @Xeno-Cowboy!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

You are awesome @MasterHand4444! I hope creating art on your new tablet will be a good experience.iu_1125889_10495428.png

Thank you so much @SplatterDash and @The-Great-One for reviving Newgrounds Treasure Hunt, Shoku's Treasures is a very cool game. You ROCK @lostSWFfiles2003, and thanks @Catoblepas for having a good eye.

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 12:19:35

Excited for next years Treasure Hunt!!

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 12:40:52

Mom I made it!!!!!!!

Thank you Tom for also showcasing some of my collab music — the Christmas in July collab album especially is one of my proudest achievements and I can’t wait for next year’s. I’m also super excited for y’all to hear (eventually LOL) what we’ve been working on for Newgrounds VS. Boyfriend — it’s gonna be so sweet.

I’m incredibly blessed and thankful for the opportunity to receive one of the tablets and I’m looking forward to seeing how far I can push myself.

And thanks for the kind words @Aalasteir!! You’re a real one :)

I freakin’ love Newgrounds!!!

Howdy and hello, folks :)

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 12:47:08

Drawing Tablet 3 - MasterHand4444

The fact you're giving tablets not only to the super hyper skilled cool big mofos but also beginner artists with a lot of potential and room for improvement is incredible. <3

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 12:55:06

Not the notorious hacker…LOSER BOB!

Congrats @MasterHand4444!!! Excited to see what you do with it!

BBS Signature

Such a coincidentally conspicuous couple of selected tags with that bug. XD

Anything that started with a number hmm, sounds like year-based ones ought've been affected too... though don't think I've edited any during that particular span of time... good to know about.

Congrats @MasterHand4444!

Cool to see the Treasure Hunt runner-up's here too. So many gems beyond the winners also.

At 12/6/23 12:55 PM, Dungeonation wrote: Not the notorious hacker…LOSER BOB!

The Notorious B.O.B.! o_O

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 13:57:20

At 12/6/23 01:53 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Such a coincidentally conspicuous couple of selected tags with that bug. XD

Anything that started with a number hmm, sounds like year-based ones ought've been affected too... though don't think I've edited any during that particular span of time...

The "loser" tag made this one particularly awkward, I've gone through those tag results and tried to remove every case that didn't look intentional. There are still gonna be "bob" and other tags floating out there among projects that updated after the migration. Happy that it's been solved and won't be happening to more!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Treasure Hut

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 14:57:02

Man, bob is such a loser 🙄

BBS Signature

Congrats @masterhand4444 !

I have no commentary to provide on the treasure hunt. Also the moon landing was real. :)

are y'all referring to this guy or what?

iu_1125931_17195613.deleted_17195613.webp

you all said Bob is a loser or snthm

A member of Thumbnail Crew!, you should help as well!

AKA fe3l1ngsk1lled and Skilled!

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 15:00:44

At 12/6/23 01:57 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/6/23 01:53 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Such a coincidentally conspicuous couple of selected tags with that bug. XD

Anything that started with a number hmm, sounds like year-based ones ought've been affected too... though don't think I've edited any during that particular span of time...
The "loser" tag made this one particularly awkward, I've gone through those tag results and tried to remove every case that didn't look intentional. There are still gonna be "bob" and other tags floating out there among projects that updated after the migration. Happy that it's been solved and won't be happening to more!

Well 3D is for losers as everyone knows

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-06 15:16:37

Congrats MasterHand4444 for earning tablet number three.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-07 09:09:09

Congrats on the tablet @MasterHand4444!!

Response to Tablet 3 and Revisiting the Treasure Hunt 2023-12-07 11:43:35

the wonderful adventures of loser and occasionally his best friend bob