00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ItsJaron just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Feature: Project Templates

4,661 Views | 46 Replies
Respond to this Topic

A new feature has arrived to reduce the amount of clicking required to publish your work: 

Project Templates!

Templates vary between art, audio, movies and games but include common values like Category, Rating, Creative Commons License and other project-specific details.

There are two ways you can set up a template:

1. On an existing project details form, once you have edited values on the form you will see a prompt at the bottom of the page that says “Would you like to create a template from this project?” Click the “Create Template” button, review the settings, give it a name and click “Save Template.” You can also check a box to make it your default template.
  2. Via your Account Settings page, under Projects, click Project Templates. This page will have options for Art, Audio, Game and Movie. Clicking one of these categories will show a list of your existing templates, or go to the New Template form if none exist.

On the New Project form, you’ll see a template selection dropdown at the top, if templates exist.

If you’ve set a template as your default, the form will default to that template. The template dropdown will go away once you begin editing the form, so choose a template before doing anything else. This might be updated later to allow you to apply a template at any time, even if it overwrites your current form data.

This update also fixes the issue in the Art Portal where if you filled out your CC license and clicked “Preview” instead of “Publish”, it lost your CC license data because the form wasn’t auto-saving every detail. Every item on the form should now auto-save when edited.

Everyone thank @PsychoGoldfish for this update!

Additionally, @liljim fixed a bug with scheduled publishing, if you ever received that “Suitability error” message when your art project tried to publish.

Update: Another fix went live today to address pixel art that didn't allow you to zoom in extra close in fullscreen mode.

We have an ongoing bug where image uploads via the text editor often fail to work properly. We’re still working towards the fix for this one. If you are having issues with this, try uploading the image via the in-page author commentary editor, via this pencil button here:

iu_1122535_1.png

Thank you as always to our Supporters, who make this ongoing work possible! More Supporters would be a big help as we move into 2024 and costs continue to climb.

If you experience any project system bugs, PM me and explain what is going wrong, with steps to recreate the issue if possible. Please include your browser and OS information.

Other News

NG Meetup: January 5th is the NG Meetup at Anime Los Angeles, hosted by @QueenBoo and @Xeno-Cowboy!

Secret Santa registration is now closed.

November 30th is the BBS Awards Nomination deadline.

December 6th is the Music Secret Santa registration deadline.

December 8th is the Gogo’s Crazy Bones Collab deadline.

December 11th is The Sweet Sixteen Comic Contest deadline, with $1k in prizes!

December 20th is the NGTV Christmas Collab deadline.

January 15th is the Break It Up Collab breakbeat audio deadline.

January 30th is the Kamen Rider Collab deadline.

February 28th is the LISA Campfire Collab and Transformers Collab deadline.

Slushydojo is organizing a Nickelodeon Collab.

Most of the slots are filled but we're still taking applications for our Drawing Tablet giveaway.

Let's get donpeppi to 1K fans!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 11:18:32

At 11/27/23 11:08 AM, TomFulp wrote: A new feature has arrived to reduce the amount of clicking required to publish your work: 

Project Templates!

Templates vary between art, audio, movies and games but include common values like Category, Rating, Creative Commons License and other project-specific details.

On the New Project form, you’ll see a template selection dropdown at the top, if templates exist.

If you’ve set a template as your default, the form will default to that template. The template dropdown will go away once you begin editing the form, so choose a template before doing anything else. This might be updated later to allow you to apply a template at any time, even if it overwrites your current form data.

This update also fixes the issue in the Art Portal where if you filled out your CC license and clicked “Preview” instead of “Publish”, it lost your CC license data because the form wasn’t auto-saving every detail. Every item on the form should now auto-save when edited.

Additionally, @liljim fixed a bug with scheduled publishing, if you ever received that “Suitability error” message when your art project tried to publish.

We have an ongoing bug where image uploads via the text editor often fail to work properly. We’re still working towards the fix for this one.

Thank you as always to our Supporters, who make this ongoing work possible! More Supporters would be a big help as we move into 2024 and costs continue to climb.

If you experience any project system bugs, PM me and explain what is going wrong, with steps to recreate the issue if possible. Please include your browser and OS information.

Hooray! Thank you for saving 2 seconds of my time!

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 11:19:07

It honestly sounds as a really good feature that I'll be using really often. Nice little update!

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 11:26:43

WE LOVE YOU TOMFULP AND PSYCHOGOLDFISH AND LILJIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- wamy :3

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 11:28:16

This is really cool! I'll definitely be checking it out next time I upload something!

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 11:28:49

This is awesome!

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 11:28:59

This seems like a nice feature, especially to those with lots to upload.

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 11:39:06

Every NG feature launch is a good day! This’ll come in quite handy for people, well done to the team as always!

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 12:26:30

Unexpected update from Based Fulp himself!!! This feature sounds extremely handy. I would imagine this feature would allow artists to easily categories their artwork automatically. Very nice!

Don't forget to brush your hands and wash your teeth!

BBS Signature

Yay, thank you! I super appreciate this. ❤

I hope we can automate the publish prompt too. That would remove one last click per upload.

Since it doubles as an error report feature for when there's fields missing, maybe it would still show up, but only when it has an error to report?

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 12:57:53

This is an AWESOME feature; I was just thinking yesterday how inconvenient it was to upload similar project data for 4 songs in the same OST. Great update!!

Howdy and hello, folks :)

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 13:01:04

At 11/27/23 11:08 AM, TomFulp wrote: A new feature has arrived to reduce the amount of clicking required to publish your work: 

Project Templates!

We have an ongoing bug where image uploads via the text editor often fail to work properly. We’re still working towards the fix for this one.

Other News

NG Meetup: January 5th is the NG Meetup at Anime Los Angeles, hosted by @QueenBoo and @Xeno-Cowboy!

Out Of Morbid Curiousity Whats The Maximum Space You Can Upload Per Project

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 13:22:22

At 11/27/23 12:30 PM, KuroOneHalf wrote: Yay, thank you! I super appreciate this. ❤

I hope we can automate the publish prompt too. That would remove one last click per upload.

Since it doubles as an error report feature for when there's fields missing, maybe it would still show up, but only when it has an error to report?

The prompt being the box where you agree to the portal guidelines? Wonder if we could relegate that to a note on the page once you've already published something previously. It's a nice failsafe for anyone who bumps the publish button by accident, though.

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 13:45:04

At 11/27/23 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/27/23 12:30 PM, KuroOneHalf wrote: Yay, thank you! I super appreciate this. ❤

The prompt being the box where you agree to the portal guidelines? Wonder if we could relegate that to a note on the page once you've already published something previously. It's a nice failsafe for anyone who bumps the publish button by accident, though.

Yeah, that one. If you've filled everything out correctly, then it just feels like an extra unnecessary click. Most other art sites don't require you to accept the guidelines every time. It's just implied, or there's a checkbox that's ticked by default.

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 14:00:22

I will have to check out this new feature. Could be quite useful.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 16:50:01

Ooh, very cool! Will be a nice time-saver :D

Thanks very much PG and NG <3

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 18:23:47

Twitt... er... X would need at least 500 software engineers to deliver such a product update... good jorb @psychogoldfish and @liljim!

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 18:34:49

thank you @psychogoldfish

bubba gump

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 21:01:03

At 11/27/23 11:39 AM, Dungeonation wrote: Every NG feature launch is a good day! This’ll come in quite handy for people, well done to the team as always!

That is true. Getting so many updates so often lets us know that NewGrounds is here to stay.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-27 22:27:19

Project Templates!

Update: Another fix went live today to address pixel art that didn't allow you to zoom in extra close in fullscreen mode.

Other News

Finally!

Might be a bug? My “Category” for an art submission was set by default on “illustration” so I didn’t touch it, but when I went to submit my project it told me I hadn’t specified “Category” yet. So I had to go switch it off of “Illustration” (triggering a save) then switch it back (triggering another save.)

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 01:11:01

At 11/27/23 11:50 PM, BoMToons wrote: Might be a bug? My “Category” for an art submission was set by default on “illustration” so I didn’t touch it, but when I went to submit my project it told me I hadn’t specified “Category” yet. So I had to go switch it off of “Illustration” (triggering a save) then switch it back (triggering another save.)

Where you using a template, or just the original default?

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 07:08:59

I sure hope you've bought some Mexican food for @psychogoldfish and @liljim

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 09:36:13

what do the templates do if i may ask?

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 09:38:47

At 11/28/23 09:36 AM, StevSteelEn wrote: what do the templates do if i may ask?

They're intended for people who want to retain common default settings across multiple uploads. For example if someone uploads music or art regularly, they might have a default template that fills out their Creative Commons settings, or the setting to allow song downloads, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 10:51:00

I like me a good QOL.

(>'-')>

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 11:35:04

would be cool to have the screen size and tags in the templates too. I always use 1080p resolution and i always have to google what's the x value for that xD. Also for mobile i'll repeat a fixed screen size and i'll probably have to check it every time in the Unity project.

As for the tags, it's more of a detail, but sometimes we repeat things like... h..

well, things.

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 13:12:09

At 11/28/23 01:11 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 11/27/23 11:50 PM, BoMToons wrote: Might be a bug? My “Category” for an art submission was set by default on “illustration” so I didn’t touch it, but when I went to submit my project it told me I hadn’t specified “Category” yet. So I had to go switch it off of “Illustration” (triggering a save) then switch it back (triggering another save.)
Where you using a template, or just the original default?

It was my first time in since the template release so didn't have any templates yet.

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 15:10:40

Project Templates!

Other News

Most of the slots are filled but we're still taking applications for our Drawing Tablet giveaway.

Let's get donpeppi to 1K fans!

common newgrounds W as always

hi

BBS Signature

Response to New Feature: Project Templates 2023-11-28 15:25:47

not for me, but an update I'm sure a lot of artists are gonna like!