00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Galbez just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Discouraged Artists’ Support Group

9,499 Views | 324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-14 16:40:15

At 4/14/24 04:33 PM, Yopenatals wrote:
At 4/14/24 04:14 PM, switzrr wrote:
At 4/14/24 03:23 PM, Yopenatals wrote: Why exactly do you want to draw? That would help with my diagnosis.
Two reasons:
Lets say you reached the top of the mountain and became an amazing artist, the kind that people look up to. What would you do? What is the end goal?

What would you say is the "proper" reason for wanting to draw?

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-14 17:34:53

At 4/14/24 04:40 PM, switzrr wrote:
At 4/14/24 04:33 PM, Yopenatals wrote:
At 4/14/24 04:14 PM, switzrr wrote:
At 4/14/24 03:23 PM, Yopenatals wrote: Why exactly do you want to draw? That would help with my diagnosis.
Two reasons:
Lets say you reached the top of the mountain and became an amazing artist, the kind that people look up to. What would you do? What is the end goal?
What would you say is the "proper" reason for wanting to draw?

Some people draw because its fun, others to clear their head. Some to pay their bills. My reason for drawing is because I want to make a comic and promo art for my games. So whats yours?

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-14 17:51:17

At 4/14/24 05:34 PM, Yopenatals wrote: Some people draw because its fun, others to clear their head. Some to pay their bills. My reason for drawing is because I want to make a comic and promo art for my games. So whats yours?

To become good at it. If I ever become good at it, I might stop thinking "I wish I could do that" all the time whenever I'm on art-related websites.

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

At 4/14/24 02:21 PM, switzrr wrote:
What if my goal was to achieve those things while I was still young?

what is your threshold of "still young"? if you already exceed it, your goal is unachievable which means you need to change it.

Because unlike drawing, those other things are fun. I get enjoyment out of them.

drawing, video games, social media. what other words beside fun can you think of to associate them with? btw you used to associate drawing as fun.

If we're using an RPG analogy, I guess my problem is that I've been "level grinding" for over 3 years, yet I'm still at Level 1.

i guess the problem is how are you "level grinding"? i see you constantly mention that you tried all those resource people constantly suggest and that they did not really helped. it seems like you always drop out after doing the first few exercises, citing no improvement. doing those exercises won't give you improvement immediately. they are meant to be constantly practiced upon.

About one hour per week, I think?

well there is improvement on that front. don't dwell on the days you missed.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-14 21:50:12

At 4/14/24 08:57 PM, lucifertan wrote: what is your threshold of "still young"? if you already exceed it, your goal is unachievable which means you need to change it.

I guess it means "younger than 18" because that's how old I was when I started. It seems nearly every artist on Twitter with thousands of followers, as well as many popular artists on this very site, became well-known long before the age I was when I picked up a pencil for the first time. What would you propose I change the goal to?

drawing, video games, social media. what other words beside fun can you think of to associate them with? btw you used to associate drawing as fun.

I used to when I started drawing digitally on a tablet, but that was before the novelty wore off. I guess another word to describe them would be "engaging"?

it seems like you always drop out after doing the first few exercises, citing no improvement.

I did pretty much every exercise in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (except the ones that required a real other person in front of you to draw) and How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, and the only reason I stopped doing the drawabox.com lessons was because I couldn't wrap my head around the "texture analysis" exercise and the advice from the person who recommended that site in the first place was "If you got stuck then you didn't do the previous exercises completely. Start over from the beginning."

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-15 00:36:34

At 4/14/24 09:50 PM, switzrr wrote: I guess it means "younger than 18" because that's how old I was when I started. It seems nearly every artist on Twitter with thousands of followers, as well as many popular artists on this very site, became well-known long before the age I was when I picked up a pencil for the first time. What would you propose I change the goal to?

you already have one don't you? getting yourself to draw more frequently, which i assume is why you took on the challenge. if you are talking about overarching ones, mine is to make art for my game.

I used to when I started drawing digitally on a tablet, but that was before the novelty wore off. I guess another word to describe them would be "engaging"?

for me, the words i associate with social media is quick, negative, mindless, endless. games and drawing i associate with fun, challenge, exploration, grind but drawing is something i have a goal with. before i do any of the activities, those words come to my mind and i ask myself if those are the things i want to experience for the day. i still browse social media, play games and draw but the rate at which i do them is more inline with my goal. when you stop the activity for the day, reflect on how you feel and those thoughts will become words that are associated and subsequently reinforced for the activity. position your thoughts positively for things you want to do more and negatively for things you wish to do less of.

I did pretty much every exercise in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (except the ones that required a real other person in front of you to draw) and How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, and the only reason I stopped doing the drawabox.com lessons was because I couldn't wrap my head around the "texture analysis" exercise and the advice from the person who recommended that site in the first place was "If you got stuck then you didn't do the previous exercises completely. Start over from the beginning."

start over from the beginning then. it doesn't seem like you grasped anything in lesson 0.

At 4/15/24 12:36 AM, lucifertan wrote: start over from the beginning then. it doesn't seem like you grasped anything in lesson 0.

I just re-read Lesson 0 for a refresher to see if anything I've typed has contradicted it and it basically says "Don't be afraid to draw something badly" (which I understand, but I don't see how it contradicts anything I've typed in this thread) and "Make sure to spend as much time drawing for fun as you spend on this course", a rule I didn't follow when I did DrawABox because IMO drawing is not fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-15 02:06:00

At 4/15/24 12:58 AM, switzrr wrote: I just re-read Lesson 0 for a refresher to see if anything I've typed has contradicted it and it basically says "Don't be afraid to draw something badly" (which I understand, but I don't see how it contradicts anything I've typed in this thread) and "Make sure to spend as much time drawing for fun as you spend on this course", a rule I didn't follow when I did DrawABox because IMO drawing is not fun.

its an observation of your art. what are the core fundamentals of drawing?

to insist associating drawing with a negative connotation when it is one of the excuses you use to allow yourself out of pursuing your goal is the same as stacking more bricks on the wall you want to overcome.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-15 18:54:23

I'm not sure I understand the first half of your response ...

At 4/15/24 02:06 AM, lucifertan wrote: its an observation of your art.

What's an "observation of my art"?

what are the core fundamentals of drawing?

Are you asking because you want to know or are you testing me?

BBS Signature

At 4/15/24 06:54 PM, switzrr wrote: I'm not sure I understand the first half of your response ...

At 4/15/24 02:06 AM, lucifertan wrote: its an observation of your art.
What's an "observation of my art"?

what are the core fundamentals of drawing?

Your missing the point of his post given the context of his whole post. He's saying that if you keep giving a negative connatation to drawing the more likely you're not going to want to draw.

Im not saying you have to put a positive one to it but accept the craft of drawung for what it is and not make it feel positive or negative. Thats my advice there.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-16 02:58:54

At 4/15/24 06:54 PM, switzrr wrote: What's an "observation of my art"?

the thoughts, processes and attitude i perceived from your drawings.

it is for you to ask yourself when you draw. with it figured out, then ask if you are denying yourself the opportunity to hone them.

Welcome, @T3CN0. Your thread I saw would be a good reason to revive this place.

Since I wasn’t there before the thread was locked, I’ll give my advice here: The easiest key to popularity on NG is interacting with other people. The forums are a great place to make friends with fellow creators, join collab projects, and post your own stuff (via a portfolio thread in the Art Forum). Post on other people’s threads as well as making your own, too.

That’s how I got my fanbase initially, before I started hosting collabs. I hope this helps!

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-20 11:26:10

thanks for the advice man!!!

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-22 19:40:52

Trying to get back to art, but something is just not clicking to me on what should I do to get back to it. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could do to get back to art?

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-22 21:56:10

At 4/22/24 07:40 PM, LucidFox3 wrote: Trying to get back to art, but something is just not clicking to me on what should I do to get back to it. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could do to get back to art?

I recommend introducing time limits. Most hesitation comes from a fear of wasting time on bad ideas or otherwise bad work, so make your use of time more structured.

If you use something like Line of Action to do timed subjects (short intervals like 1-5 minutes each,) you'll only have time to draw, no time for doubting yourself. Use it until you don't feel so rusty, and then you can go back to doing what you want without setting limits (or you could keep limits on yourself if you find it really helps).

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-22 23:19:46

truth be told this whole site discourages me , this whole scouting thing the site has just had my brain in a swirl all week, i mean the fact that i can keep submitting art for the next five years and still not earn the right have my art posted next to the fetish junk just sucks, it really makes me just want to no even post art work here , i mean whats the point if no one is ever gonna see it unless they look for me manual

At 4/22/24 11:19 PM, kingskywarp97 wrote: truth be told this whole site discourages me , this whole scouting thing the site has just had my brain in a swirl all week, i mean the fact that i can keep submitting art for the next five years and still not earn the right have my art posted next to the fetish junk just sucks, it really makes me just want to no even post art work here , i mean whats the point if no one is ever gonna see it unless they look for me manual

I dont usually intrude on safe spaces but this perspective makes me so angry. You're a hypocrite.

THEY get to post fetish junk but MY fetish junk is ignored!!!!!

Simply a matter of skill. Get better and you will get scouted, then you will be able to add your piss in a sea of piss.

advocatus diaboli

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-23 00:01:30

At 4/22/24 09:56 PM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/22/24 07:40 PM, LucidFox3 wrote: Trying to get back to art, but something is just not clicking to me on what should I do to get back to it. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could do to get back to art?
I recommend introducing time limits. Most hesitation comes from a fear of wasting time on bad ideas or otherwise bad work, so make your use of time more structured.

If you use something like Line of Action to do timed subjects (short intervals like 1-5 minutes each,) you'll only have time to draw, no time for doubting yourself. Use it until you don't feel so rusty, and then you can go back to doing what you want without setting limits (or you could keep limits on yourself if you find it really helps).

I'll give this suggestion a try, thanks.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-23 00:30:44

At 4/22/24 11:51 PM, Template88 wrote:
At 4/22/24 11:19 PM, kingskywarp97 wrote: truth be told this whole site discourages me , this whole scouting thing the site has just had my brain in a swirl all week, i mean the fact that i can keep submitting art for the next five years and still not earn the right have my art posted next to the fetish junk just sucks, it really makes me just want to no even post art work here , i mean whats the point if no one is ever gonna see it unless they look for me manual
I dont usually intrude on safe spaces but this perspective makes me so angry. You're a hypocrite.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/kingskywarp97/day-11-of-100

Simply a matter of skill. Get better and you will get scouted, then you will be able to add your piss in a sea of piss.

Thats not fetish art thats fanart for someone oc over on twitter . yesh

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-23 00:32:06

I will posit my take as someone who scrolls art by new (and votes on them as my main source of XP): Newgrounds definitely isn't the site for casual art/doodle posting, as most artists here seem ludicrously skilled by comparison to the "new" queue on like, DeviantArt. There's plenty of pieces where you can clearly judge how much effort the artist put in; which is not very much, and those get washed away in the sea of mediocrity.

Also, fetish/lewd art is extremely polarizing, especially if it's just not... drawn well. Those require a certain level of skill/confidence to post, because if it's bad no one—even your target audience—will find it appealing.

Basically there's no shortcut around "git gud" if you want to get scouted, and after a few good pieces (yes, it will definitely take more than one piece) it'll get noticed. Otherwise just... go on DeviantArt or something?

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-23 00:33:10

also my profile is marked nsfw

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-23 00:36:37

At 4/23/24 12:30 AM, kingskywarp97 wrote:

Ah yes, the gallery full of women with tits the size of their head is not meant to be erotic, purely straight edge art here, truly above and more deserving of attention than those fetish artists. Sexy girl in pose, what a concept. Really breaking the mold there by the way, even if somehow I take you seriously.

advocatus diaboli

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-23 00:37:24

At 4/23/24 12:32 AM, ghthhgfhg wrote:
I will posit my take as someone who scrolls art by new (and votes on them as my main source of XP): Newgrounds definitely isn't the site for casual art/doodle posting, as most artists here seem ludicrously skilled by comparison to the "new" queue on like, DeviantArt. There's plenty of pieces where you can clearly judge how much effort the artist put in; which is not very much, and those get washed away in the sea of mediocrity.

Also, fetish/lewd art is extremely polarizing, especially if it's just not... drawn well. Those require a certain level of skill/confidence to post, because if it's bad no one—even your target audience—will find it appealing.

Basically there's no shortcut around "git gud" if you want to get scouted, and after a few good pieces (yes, it will definitely take more than one piece) it'll get noticed. Otherwise just... go on DeviantArt or something?

so what just keep slaving away until i appease the gods with good art work , or go to a website drowning in ai , and a ungodly amount of fetiish art .

At 4/23/24 12:44 AM, kingskywarp97 wrote:
At 4/23/24 12:42 AM, Template88 wrote:
At 4/23/24 12:39 AM, kingskywarp97 wrote:
At 4/23/24 12:36 AM, Template88 wrote:

Ah yes, the gallery full of women with tits the size of their head is not meant to be erotic, purely straight edge art here, truly above and more deserving of attention than those fetish artists. Sexy girl in pose, what a concept. Really breaking the mold there by the way, even if somehow I take you seriously.
i just draw women with bigger bust my guy not sure why your just automatically assuming its fetish work. thier just breast
Wow its so crazy how they're all like that! its almost like its a fetish
do you think breast are inherently sexual or something ?

Okay, we’re well into a derailing. You two can take this subject to Private Messages.

Next one to speak on these comically well-endowed women in this thread gets a ban.

I’ve deleted a few of the derailing posts, but kept the initial few. For posterity.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-04-23 09:03:55

At 4/23/24 02:38 AM, SourCherryJack wrote:
At 4/23/24 12:44 AM, kingskywarp97 wrote:
At 4/23/24 12:42 AM, Template88 wrote:
At 4/23/24 12:39 AM, kingskywarp97 wrote:
At 4/23/24 12:36 AM, Template88 wrote:

i just draw women with bigger bust my guy not sure why your just automatically assuming its fetish work. thier just breast
Wow its so crazy how they're all like that! its almost like its a fetish
do you think breast are inherently sexual or something ?
Okay, we’re well into a derailing. You two can take this subject to Private Messages.
Next one to speak on these comically well-endowed women in this thread gets a ban.

sorry about that