00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrSkullium just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Discouraged Artists’ Support Group

9,489 Views | 324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-27 00:37:41

The problems I have looking back at my art journey, I feel like I haven't been consistent on one thing 'cause I keep hopping between OC after OC, fanart and FCs also (FC means Fan Characters). So my goal and solution to this is focus on one character and probably add in some lore to them if I want.

enter hyperspace.

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-27 01:57:11

At 2/27/24 12:09 AM, Thetageist wrote: I have… so much stuff I have told other people I’m going to do…
Do art trades, write stories, make an animation for a friend, make that game for the Pokémon collab…

And yet I think I’ve lost my motivation to do any of it. I don’t know why. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the majority of the time I try to do stuff, I either crash and burn or get ignored completely. It doesn’t feel worth it anymore, right? It doesn’t feel like I’m worth it.

Wow I’m actually in a similar situation. I’ve promised people the Wimmelbilder for my latest collab. I also have a little Leap Year piece I’ve planned and several collab entries for next month. And yet I actually don’t want to work on any of them. As it stands these are obligations, not recreational activities.

I’m sure your collab game will be worth it. From what I’ve seen, a lot of people expressed interest in it and thus sent in their submissions. That alone must mean it’ll be worth the work.

I don’t know if it’ll help, but maybe breaking these things down into smaller manageable tasks will make them easier.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-27 08:43:15

I know what kind of site this is, but I want to say this anyway:

I actually got scouted once, then the very next day someone went out their way to "unscout" (?) me.. The reason I say that is because my art is mostly unnoticed and a buddy thought it was OK but just not seen, and so someone saw it that night and went through that trouble...and that was discouraging...

What makes it worse that in the years afterwards; someone told me that literal scribbles and copies of the same artwork (with different colorations) has been posted over and over in the scouted space. This KEEPS happening, and so nobody's reporting or unscouting them. I was discouraged, but also wondering if people can get away with that, then is something messed up going on? Why can someone spam scribbles to "take over" and nothing happens to them, but I was kicked away so fast?

Yeah, it's discouraging, maddening and why I don't take Newgrounds seriously now

BBS Signature

At 2/27/24 08:43 AM, CrosEl wrote: I know what kind of site this is, but I want to say this anyway:

I actually got scouted once, then the very next day someone went out their way to "unscout" (?) me.. The reason I say that is because my art is mostly unnoticed and a buddy thought it was OK but just not seen, and so someone saw it that night and went through that trouble...and that was discouraging...

What makes it worse that in the years afterwards; someone told me that literal scribbles and copies of the same artwork (with different colorations) has been posted over and over in the scouted space. This KEEPS happening, and so nobody's reporting or unscouting them. I was discouraged, but also wondering if people can get away with that, then is something messed up going on? Why can someone spam scribbles to "take over" and nothing happens to them, but I was kicked away so fast?

Yeah, it's discouraging, maddening and why I don't take Newgrounds seriously now

Out of curiousity I would like to see the works you made in question and the person who is claimed copied your work.

Because if thats true then that's not right and should be looked into.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-27 15:52:08

At 2/27/24 12:09 AM, Thetageist wrote: I have… so much stuff I have told other people I’m going to do…
Do art trades, write stories, make an animation for a friend, make that game for the Pokémon collab…

And yet I think I’ve lost my motivation to do any of it. I don’t know why. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the majority of the time I try to do stuff, I either crash and burn or get ignored completely. It doesn’t feel worth it anymore, right? It doesn’t feel like I’m worth it.

I'm in a kinda similar mindset too. I burn myself out pretty often with projects and it sucks. A big problem I have is that I feel guilty about my art whenever I have time to myself: "Am I really allowed to relax? I haven't finished all this stuff I said I was gonna do, maybe I can use this time to get ahead on it"

Something I have to keep telling myself is that typically the work day is split: 8 hours of work, 8 hours of free time, 8 hours of sleep. Personally my dumbass tries to lump or annex that free time to time I spend working on art, but if you went up to anyone and said "What do you think about working ~16hour days?" They'd (hopefully) say that's crazy. Also trying to make a list of small term goals, because maybe having that will help me register that my work is progressing and to not be so strung out.

It's best to take time to step away from projects for a bit, and try to come back to them with a fresh perspective.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-27 20:06:55

At 9/6/23 08:32 AM, Thetageist wrote: Hello!

I was seeing a lot of threads in this forum related to losing motivation, impostor syndrome, and feeling like you’re not enough as an artist. Considering that a lot of the original posters struggled with the same emotions, I wanted to create one place where all the artists who are struggling can talk to each other and see that they’re not alone in their problems, and the others who have come out the other side of those problems can offer advice to every artist, rather than repeating themselves across different threads.

So please, feel free to vent or to share your experiences and advice. You never know who’s going to need it.

This is gonna sound really corny and like selfish and stuff but I feel like I'm not in a good spot for ng rn

Everything I make is way too inconsistent, and I can rarely make anything because of how little ideas I have

I'm also just constantly worried that the stuff I make isn't as good as my early stuff or my most recent art

I also just feel like my artstyle doesn't really fit in with the rest or it's just not as impressive especially since most of my stuff is kind of overshadowed by all of the great artists out there

my main problem really is lack of ideas, I have like 1 good idea every 5 weeks

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 00:56:08

At 2/27/24 08:06 PM, soapchuwa wrote:
At 9/6/23 08:32 AM, Thetageist wrote: Hello!

I was seeing a lot of threads in this forum related to losing motivation, impostor syndrome, and feeling like you’re not enough as an artist. Considering that a lot of the original posters struggled with the same emotions, I wanted to create one place where all the artists who are struggling can talk to each other and see that they’re not alone in their problems, and the others who have come out the other side of those problems can offer advice to every artist, rather than repeating themselves across different threads.

So please, feel free to vent or to share your experiences and advice. You never know who’s going to need it.
This is gonna sound really corny and like selfish and stuff but I feel like I'm not in a good spot for ng rn
Everything I make is way too inconsistent, and I can rarely make anything because of how little ideas I have
I'm also just constantly worried that the stuff I make isn't as good as my early stuff or my most recent art
I also just feel like my artstyle doesn't really fit in with the rest or it's just not as impressive especially since most of my stuff is kind of overshadowed by all of the great artists out there
my main problem really is lack of ideas, I have like 1 good idea every 5 weeks

Perhaps the first step to having more ideas is to stop self-censoring them. You don’t know they won’t look good until you try them out.

Furthermore, progress isn’t going to be linear for everything. You’ll have some good art days and some bad art days. It’s normal.

And hey, this may sound equally corny, but however many great artists there are, there’s only one soapchuwa. You get to decide what your artistic identity is, find a style that speaks to you specifically, and pick ideas to explore that you wish other people would try more!

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 08:22:32

Perhaps the first step to having more ideas is to stop self-censoring them. You don’t know they won’t look good until you try them out.

giving me the privilege to basically draw whatever I want is a very irresponsible thing to bestow apon me

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 08:58:31

At 2/28/24 08:22 AM, soapchuwa wrote:
giving me the privilege to basically draw whatever I want is a very irresponsible thing to bestow apon me

That’s the neat part, that privilege’s been there all along.

Also, someone doesn’t like your thing? Tell em’ “That’s tough, door’s over there”. They can literally just go anywhere else. Most internet haters are just in it to hate more often than not, no real rhyme or reason.

And Tangent but art chart I look at as well:

iu_1168383_4755282.jpg

iu_1168382_4755282.png

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 09:28:56

Hey, I've done it that way since forever and look at me. I'm far beyond salvation now

Being 100% alive means taking a 50% of actions and having a 50% of perspective

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 10:13:46

At 2/28/24 09:28 AM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote:
Hey, I've done it that way since forever and look at me. I'm far beyond salvation now

you have no idea who i am

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 11:02:27

At 2/28/24 10:13 AM, soapchuwa wrote:

Yes, but I have an idea of who you aren't

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 11:26:17

At 2/28/24 11:02 AM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote:

Elaborate

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 11:45:41

At 2/28/24 11:26 AM, soapchuwa wrote:
At 2/28/24 11:02 AM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote:
Elaborate

n o

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-28 13:54:07

At 2/27/24 11:52 AM, DioShiba wrote:
At 2/27/24 08:43 AM, CrosEl wrote: I know what kind of site this is, but I want to say this anyway:

Out of curiousity I would like to see the works you made in question and the person who is claimed copied your work.

Because if thats true then that's not right and should be looked into.

I didn't say copied: I say that they unscouted me the same night I was scouted.

Nobody really pays attention to my art/profile, so for that to happen: someone targeted me as soon as I was scouted.

I was making a comparison to others who actually copied others art and post scribbles and STILL get and stay scouted

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-02-29 15:15:43

I think I need to go on hiatus while I find some more fucks to give about my WIPs.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-22 15:23:56

Was gonna make this post its own thread in the Collab board, but since it doesn't talk about starting a collab it might get removed. Also there's no General board, so I scrolled through multiple pages of the Art board to find this thread again. Here goes:

Does anyone know if I can contribute to an NG collab in some way if I don't have any creative talents or passions? (Sketch Collab doesn't count because they let just about anyone in)

I just want to make myself useful to this community, but in order to do that I need to be a "creative" of some sort. Let's go over the different disciplines:

• Animation - need to be good at drawing first ❌
  • Art - been drawing for over three years with no improvement whatsoever ❌
  • Music - been playing piano for about a decade, but I have yet to come up with a single original composition; then again I've been thinking of getting FL Studio and playing around with that ❓
  • Voice acting - I hate the sound of my own voice ❌
  • Writing - my only ideas so far are fan fictions of pre-existing stories ❌
  • Game development - I find coding mind-numbingly boring ❌

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-22 17:48:34

At 3/22/24 03:23 PM, switzrr wrote: Was gonna make this post its own thread in the Collab board, but since it doesn't talk about starting a collab it might get removed. Also there's no General board, so I scrolled through multiple pages of the Art board to find this thread again. Here goes:

Does anyone know if I can contribute to an NG collab in some way if I don't have any creative talents or passions? (Sketch Collab doesn't count because they let just about anyone in)

I just want to make myself useful to this community, but in order to do that I need to be a "creative" of some sort. Let's go over the different disciplines:

Unironically, is not necessary that you are artistically capable to be useful for the community. Referencing myself, I have this series of blog posts called "Recommended Artists" in which I recommend various talented but lowly known artists to people. Also, there are many users who have never done anything artistic, yet are very well known in the community, mainly due to their presence in the BBS. You can also consider making a podcast, among some other few ideas

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-22 20:46:38

At 3/22/24 05:48 PM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote: Unironically, is not necessary that you are artistically capable to be useful for the community. Referencing myself, I have this series of blog posts called "Recommended Artists" in which I recommend various talented but lowly known artists to people. Also, there are many users who have never done anything artistic, yet are very well known in the community, mainly due to their presence in the BBS. You can also consider making a podcast, among some other few ideas

So that's it? I'm just supposed to accept that I'll never have any kind of creative skill?

I would go outside and touch grass, but unfortunately there's an obstacle known as

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-22 21:03:30

At 3/22/24 08:46 PM, switzrr wrote:
At 3/22/24 05:48 PM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote: Unironically, is not necessary that you are artistically capable to be useful for the community. Referencing myself, I have this series of blog posts called "Recommended Artists" in which I recommend various talented but lowly known artists to people. Also, there are many users who have never done anything artistic, yet are very well known in the community, mainly due to their presence in the BBS. You can also consider making a podcast, among some other few ideas
So that's it? I'm just supposed to accept that I'll never have any kind of creative skill?

I think thats up to you. You can either accept that you dont have creativity and thats it. Or you can refuse that, and start grinding more art hours. You know that 10 000 hour rule of getting good at something right? If you want to draw characters you really need that amount in practice figures before you can start to get confidence in your linework, then 10 000 in expressions, 10 000 in hands and feet and so on. I dont wanna scare you away but im trying to be realistic. It sucks and no one wants to do it, but the people that grit their teeth and get through it see results and that improvement is worth the sucky part. You dont even need to give up drawing what you want to draw, just know that when ur frustrated take it out on some practice, just dont expect results immediately.

Also really try not to compare yourself to the art journeys of other people because you're prolly only seeing the tip of the iceburg in terms of their body of work. I know for me i've been actually trying at drawing since 2009 and literally only the last couple years has it felt like i can make what i wanna. Its frustrating but only you can make the choice of whether you wanna improve or not.

No fear. No pain.

At 3/22/24 03:23 PM, switzrr wrote: Was gonna make this post its own thread in the Collab board, but since it doesn't talk about starting a collab it might get removed. Also there's no General board, so I scrolled through multiple pages of the Art board to find this thread again. Here goes:

Look for collabs that aren't asking for effort.

Those are the fun ones

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-23 21:05:29

At 3/22/24 09:03 PM, Awd91 wrote: Also really try not to compare yourself to the art journeys of other people because you're prolly only seeing the tip of the iceburg in terms of their body of work. I know for me i've been actually trying at drawing since 2009 and literally only the last couple years has it felt like i can make what i wanna

PewDiePie became better at drawing after 30 days of 10-20 minutes a day (5-10 collective hours) than I have after 3.5 years of ~1 hour a week (~182 collective hours); I feel like that's probably a sign of some sort and not a good one

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-23 21:07:02

At 3/23/24 07:50 AM, DioShiba wrote: Look for collabs that aren't asking for effort.

Those are the fun ones

As I said before,

At 1/9/24 07:16 PM, switzrr wrote: I guess I should be more specific; one of my goals is to be featured in one of the collabs that require you to be a talented animator, like these for example:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/836292
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/765377
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/723282

Then again, even if I was a talented animator and made it into one of these I feel like I still wouldn't be satisfied considering I've seen many people featured in these collabs who are younger than I am

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-23 21:50:13

At 3/23/24 09:05 PM, switzrr wrote:
At 3/22/24 09:03 PM, Awd91 wrote: Also really try not to compare yourself to the art journeys of other people because you're prolly only seeing the tip of the iceburg in terms of their body of work. I know for me i've been actually trying at drawing since 2009 and literally only the last couple years has it felt like i can make what i wanna
PewDiePie became better at drawing after 30 days of 10-20 minutes a day (5-10 collective hours) than I have after 3.5 years of ~1 hour a week (~182 collective hours); I feel like that's probably a sign of some sort and not a good one

The sign I get from that is simply that PewDiePie has a better ability of understanding faster what he's lacking than you do. I went to your art gallery, and I see most of your art lacks form consistency. By this I mean heads seem shapeless, arms length and legs length is off, some joints like ankles, wrists or neck behave weirdly. Even weirder is that in some of your art you happen to nail this things, but in later works you make the same mistakes, which makes me think that the times you nailed your mistakes were either a 1 in 100 chances or you were just tracing over other pics (I say the last thing because some of your works seem suspiciously familiar to me).

I'm not trying to make you feel bad with everything spelled above. In fact, tracing over other pics can be helpful to learn how to improve, as long as you actually analize the traces you're doing, and all the things you're having problems with like shape consistency or logical body parts can be easily solved with some techniques like "line of action" or "cross in the face". My best recomendation would be that you actually spelled the problems you identify in your artworks in your browser to find any possible help or answer. You can also try going to some sort of reunion where you meet other artists that can give you more ideas for how to improve (or here too, but you have to specify the things you're having problems with, not everyone can make the search for you)

BBS Signature

At 3/23/24 09:07 PM, switzrr wrote:
At 3/23/24 07:50 AM, DioShiba wrote: Look for collabs that aren't asking for effort.

Those are the fun ones
As I said before,

At 1/9/24 07:16 PM, switzrr wrote: I guess I should be more specific; one of my goals is to be featured in one of the collabs that require you to be a talented animator, like these for example:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/836292
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/765377
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/723282

Then again, even if I was a talented animator and made it into one of these I feel like I still wouldn't be satisfied considering I've seen many people featured in these collabs who are younger than I am

The problem is that you're asking to be in collabs that, as you stated require some level of talent and require some level of skill.

Which here's the thing. You're either selling yourself short on how talented you are if you are hesitant on joining because you feel that you haven't gotten enough practice to feel skilled in your mind. Maybe you havent had been given feedback or have had your work assessed before. I don't know, but you are asking to be a part of something that requires effort or demonstrated skill.

That's where you are better off at joining things that require low effort then gradually build up your skills at animating or drawing and then building a reel or portfolio with yoir best work, then you will have a shot at achieving your goal of being featured in the bigger collabs. Ask for feedback on where you can improve and be that guy people want to work with.

There's no short cut. You have to keep building your mastery at your craft to achieve your goal. If you are passionate about what you do, then you do.

Hell even when I organized Mystery Lovers I never expected anything beyond shitpost quality yet there were a couple of submissions that exeeded my expectations in terms of quality by a phenominal ammount. If you see someone who you think made an awesome piece, network with them and see if you can get their thoughts on your work. You might be surprised who is willing to support your growth!

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-24 00:37:07

At 3/23/24 09:50 PM, EmsDeLaRoZ wrote: The sign I get from that is simply that PewDiePie has a better ability of understanding faster what he's lacking than you do.

The thing about self-critique is that when I look at my pieces I can never pick out one specific thing to improve on; the whole thing just looks like it was drawn by someone half my age.

I went to your art gallery, and I see most of your art lacks form consistency. By this I mean heads seem shapeless, arms length and legs length is off, some joints like ankles, wrists or neck behave weirdly. Even weirder is that in some of your art you happen to nail this things, but in later works you make the same mistakes, which makes me think that the times you nailed your mistakes were either a 1 in 100 chances or you were just tracing over other pics (I say the last thing because some of your works seem suspiciously familiar to me).

Since I can't draw I cheat by drawing over 3D posable models in a program called DesignDoll (not counting the ones where I just used the "grid method" to copy pre-existing images)

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-24 00:40:20

At 3/23/24 10:53 PM, DioShiba wrote: That's where you are better off at joining things that require low effort then gradually build up your skills at animating or drawing and then building a reel or portfolio with yoir best work, then you will have a shot at achieving your goal of being featured in the bigger collabs. Ask for feedback on where you can improve and be that guy people want to work with.

I have asked for feedback and the main pointers I got were "have more variety in line weight, turn off anti-aliasing when using the Fill tool, improve stroke confidence, work on anatomy, etc."

If you are passionate about what you do, then you do.

That's the problem; I'm not passionate about anything.

BBS Signature

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-24 02:22:13

At 3/24/24 12:40 AM, switzrr wrote:
At 3/23/24 10:53 PM, DioShiba wrote: That's where you are better off at joining things that require low effort then gradually build up your skills at animating or drawing and then building a reel or portfolio with yoir best work, then you will have a shot at achieving your goal of being featured in the bigger collabs. Ask for feedback on where you can improve and be that guy people want to work with.
I have asked for feedback and the main pointers I got were "have more variety in line weight, turn off anti-aliasing when using the Fill tool, improve stroke confidence, work on anatomy, etc."

What is it that you're looking for/to do exactly?

At 3/24/24 12:40 AM, switzrr wrote:

Then your problem runs a lot deeper than lacking motivation that may require you to seek a therapist.

I'm not saying that to knock you down, Rather its because having been down that path where I lost passion or interest in anything was because I was in a pretty big rough spot in life where I felt lost. To me, that's what your problem sounds like.

If you lack a passion in something then you need to start asking yourself some very hard questions that only you can get the answers for and some professional help might be able to promote you to figure out those answers.

Something to consider. But if you keep contradicting yourself by saying you want to do these things and don't put the work in to do it then there isn't much that we can do to offer advice and that's going to be counter-intuitive for you. That's just the reality of it.

Response to Discouraged Artists’ Support Group 2024-03-24 14:59:41

At 3/24/24 02:22 AM, Blaznthekid wrote: What is it that you're looking for/to do exactly?

Basically to be good at something for once, as well as to contribute to a high-quality collab in some form

At 3/24/24 10:31 AM, DioShiba wrote: Then your problem runs a lot deeper than lacking motivation that may require you to seek a therapist.

I'm not saying that to knock you down, Rather its because having been down that path where I lost passion or interest in anything was because I was in a pretty big rough spot in life where I felt lost. To me, that's what your problem sounds like.

If you lack a passion in something then you need to start asking yourself some very hard questions that only you can get the answers for and some professional help might be able to promote you to figure out those answers.

Something to consider. But if you keep contradicting yourself by saying you want to do these things and don't put the work in to do it then there isn't much that we can do to offer advice and that's going to be counter-intuitive for you. That's just the reality of it.

I have talked to my therapist about this sort of thing, and his advice included "passions are built, not found" and "if your only interests are consuming media and you feel like you need to be a 'creator' of some sort in order to feel fulfilled then maybe you could consume media in a productive way by being a media critic" (which does not interest me at all)

BBS Signature