00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Custom Profile Picture Shapes!

83,232 Views | 665 Replies
Respond to this Topic

We just launched a new Supporter perk: Custom profile borders!

Tired of feeling like a square peg in a round hole? Now you can be a square peg in a pentagon, hexagon, octagon, square, rhombus, heart or star hole, among others! You'll also get a color border based on the link color you've chosen on your user page.

To try this feature, become a Supporter and click Edit Profile on your profile page. To the right of your profile picture you’ll see a button for "Icon Options.” This will open up the tool to re-crop your picture and choose from a variety of shapes.

iu_595491_1.png

iu_595492_1.png

This feature came to us during development of our April Fools prank: Dankmen NFTs. @PsychoGoldfish had to update a lot of pages to support pentagon-shaped profile pictures and we thought it would be best to build something that works as a lasting feature.

Thank you everyone who has been supporting NG! 

When you support Newgrounds, you’re keeping one of the last big independent websites on-line. You’re preserving over 25 years of content, a lot of which only exists on NG. You’re funding ongoing development and new features, to keep the site evolving and functioning. Every day there is cool new stuff to see on NG and lots of history to explore. It hasn’t been easy to keep this going and we greatly appreciate all the support we can get!

If you can’t support Newgrounds financially, you can still help out a lot by voting and reviewing! With everything going on this past weekend, I hadn’t noticed how backed up the Under Judgment list had gotten for games and movies. Voting on under judgment entries helps immensely to make sure everything gets seen.

Hope everyone enjoys the update! We have another update coming to user pages this week, if all goes as planned.

Other News

If you made a web game for Ludum Dare 50, we’ll be featuring a bunch of those this week and archiving entries in our Ludum Dare 50 Collection.

The MessyPaints April theme is Catwoman! You have until May 1st to paint (digital or traditional Catwoman, lit from the side. Read that post for more details, this event is open to everyone.

Voice Acting Contest #14 Round 1 is in progress!

Musicians, check out the upcoming Audio Tag Team and Art Inspired Music events!

Our Flash Jam deadline is April 20th. If you want to make something with Flash, you still have time! Over $3,600 in prizes.

Pico Day is June 11th! Prizes are almost $2k and we’re crowdfunding for more.

If you miss the Dankmen site skin, @Potatoman has posted it in the Art Portal!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

YOU DID PULL A GMAIL APRIL FOOLS PRANK, DANGIT <3

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:41:35

Dang you delivered new features like you promised. So there will be no borders than..

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:44:59

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

peti

Dankmen and custom border?

You spoil us @TomFulp

I really like it.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:48:11

LETSA FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Six big dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:50:08

shapes are nice but what about animated gif profile pics. i need to express myself!

Also first post

None

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:54:10

I love it. And the borders show up in-thread on mobile now!

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic byTemplate88 ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:55:44

The important thing is that I look like the Carl's Jr/Hardee's logo now.

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:55:55

This is cool and I like it, but also awful and I hate it.

Maybe there could be a way to upload custom black and white mask images/svg to custom tailor icons?

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:56:34

This is sick. I was wondering if there was a way I could keep the pentagon after April fools, but this is way better.

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:57:38

Oo, is that a star I see?

iu_595510_9638493.png

I'll definitely use that if I get supporter status (via gifts, I got no money)!

(Imagine someone makes a Scott the Woz blue border for theirs lol)

Just a nerd and a Kirby.

Hope you have a good day! <3

(Kirby says hi!) [Sig art by @soundskies]

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:58:23

I can't edit mine when I click on "Icon Options", does anyone else have this issue?

On my profile page my icon is different from my pfp though so is that why?

At 4/4/22 11:46 AM, Fungus235 wrote: Custom pfp shapes?

*looks at supporter*

i dont need it, i dont need it, i Deffinetly dont need it

i dont need it

I dont need it!

iu_595513_2555669.png

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:59:15

This is freakin so cool, ngl I loved the shapes of the April Fool's pfps so I'm glad that feature is here to stay!

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 11:59:26

At 4/4/22 11:57 AM, M-kirbs wrote: Oo, is that a star I see?

I'll definitely use that if I get supporter status (via gifts, I got no money)!
(Imagine someone makes a Scott the Woz blue border for theirs lol)

Also, you didn't fool me, Fulp! I knew those NFTs were fake!

iu_595515_9638493.png

Just a nerd and a Kirby.

Hope you have a good day! <3

(Kirby says hi!) [Sig art by @soundskies]

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:03:09

Groovy, I've never been a huge fan of circular userpics and kind of malign their rise to prominence across the web.

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:06:41

At 4/4/22 11:58 AM, Gimmick wrote: I can't edit mine when I click on "Icon Options", does anyone else have this issue?

If you have a different large icon vs your small icon, it means you never updated your profile picture under the modern system. You'll likely need to upload a new profile picture before the tools become available to set your shape.

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:10:15

At 4/4/22 12:06 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/4/22 11:58 AM, Gimmick wrote: I can't edit mine when I click on "Icon Options", does anyone else have this issue?

If you have a different large icon vs your small icon, it means you never updated your profile picture under the modern system. You'll likely need to upload a new profile picture before the tools become available to set your shape.

Aw bummer, I liked having that feature since it's no longer possible to have disparate pfp+icons.

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:11:20

Really cool update!!!, welp time to support by voting until I get a job when I reach the requested age.

I make art, check this cat

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:12:11

At 4/4/22 12:10 PM, Gimmick wrote:

Aw bummer, I liked having that feature since it's no longer possible to have disparate pfp+icons.

I found out the hard way on Friday when I lost the last good upload of the duck @bluehippo made me all those years ago

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic byTemplate88 ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

This update made me nervous because there has always been the chance this could end up looking really ugly but so far I've been seeing cool stuff like this:

iu_595517_1.png

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:13:06

Aw man I can't be a supporter :')

W o m a n

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:14:14

At 4/4/22 12:12 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 4/4/22 12:10 PM, Gimmick wrote:

I found out the hard way on Friday when I lost the last good upload of the duck @bluehippo made me all those years ago

There's always the wayback machine I guess

BBS Signature

The best part that you didn't mention is that supporters get a color border using the accent color chosen on the individual's profile page. It's subtle and I really like it. If I'm in a gifting mood it also reminds me who doesn't have supporter status even when it's not December :p

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:18:35

At 4/4/22 12:18 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: The best part that you didn't mention is that supporters get a color border using the accent color chosen on the individual's profile page. It's subtle and I really like it. If I'm in a gifting mood it also reminds me who doesn't have supporter status even when it's not December :p

Good call, I'll update to mention that too!

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:20:10

At 4/4/22 12:18 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/4/22 12:18 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: The best part that you didn't mention is that supporters get a color border using the accent color chosen on the individual's profile page. It's subtle and I really like it. If I'm in a gifting mood it also reminds me who doesn't have supporter status even when it's not December :p
Good call, I'll update to mention that too!

I worked really hard on that part, and YOU FORGOT!?!?!?

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:21:01

This is so sick!

doing ur dad

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:21:24

I feel so pretty~

BBS Signature

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:26:28

I don't mean to be that guy but I do have some feelings about this.

1. The large variety of shapes and icon border colors kind of ruins some of the aesthetics and uniformity of this website.
  2. The colored icon borders I think creates too much of a distinction between supporters and non-supporters. We already have the indications that we're supporters. I think it might be too much.

Response to Custom Profile Picture Shapes! 2022-04-04 12:31:24

At 4/4/22 12:26 PM, TecNoir wrote: I don't mean to be that guy but I do have some feelings about this.

The variety of shapes has made me nervous too but felt the desire to live a little dangerously with it.

As far as increasing the distinction between Supporters and non-Supporters, we've been trying a light touch with the Supporter system for a decade now and progress has been much too slow and isn't keeping up with the growth of the site and hosting. We will need to keep giving more things to Supporters to keep encouraging more people to become Supporters.

BBS Signature