00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of October 2021 & Medals Update!

12,486 Views | 37 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Medals Update!

The way medals display on user pages has been updated to show every medal in a game, highlighting the ones the user has. There is also now a search box for searching by game. Check out Knuckstrike’s medals collection for an example!

Users can now flag bad/broken medals by clicking the medal icon and using the flag button in the details pod.

You can now see ALL users who have earned a medal, or search for specific users.

Project managers can manually unlock medals for users who may have been robbed due to a bug or other failure. The user will have to accept the medal on their end, via their notifications and/or Requests page.

Project managers can reset medals in unpublished projects, or published projects less than 90 days old or medals with less than 100 unlocks.

Block List

We also made updates to the block list feature this week, merging blog bans into your general blocked users list and expanding blocks to include reviews and reactions, so people you block can no longer get your attention via those methods.

Best of October

Your votes are in and the Best of October have been determined!

Top Five Animation

The top-ranked animation based on original material and winner of $250 is Salad Fingers. Congrats, @Doki!

@Stradomyre (Dead Estate Trailer) and @Ghost-Bat with Big Band Science will receive $100 each for 2nd and 3rd.

These prizes will continue next month thanks to our sponsors @SrPelo, @AnonymousAlchemist, @Diives, @mattyburrito, @53xy83457, @olskoo and @Zombie-Pimp!

If you would like to contribute to our animation prize fund, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards animation prizes.

Top Five Games

The top game based on original material and winner of $200 is Horse with a Human Mask on a Tightrope by @jefvel! The 2nd-4th place winners of $100 each are Punch It Deluxe, Pizzio's Pizza and Crazy Cauldron.

These prizes will continue next month thanks to our ongoing game prize sponsors @AnonymousAlchemist, @Manderby, @53xy83457, @olskoo and @SrPelo!

If you would like to contribute to our game prize fund, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards game prizes.

Runner-Up Animation

6. GOD damnit KRIS (Gameboy'd)

7. The Nightmare before Halloween

8. Big Band Science

9. The Darly Boxman Show

10. Ollie & Scoops Episode 8: Warm Cream

11. DULCE O TRUCO

12. Madness Rozpierdalation 4

13. Dinkle

14. Jerma Is a Single Dad

15. Interface | Episode 24 Finale

16. In A Blue Balloon

17. Evangelion Pixel Art Collaboration!

18. DEEP DARK- Wendigo

19. - binding all night -

20. BUTCH

21. Dr. Good's Operating Theatre 2021

22. Dee and Kirby - Tee for two (Tom and Jerry parody)

23. Bridge Kids: Halloween

24. the simpsons vs sonic

25. SPACETIME THE TRAILER

26. Spooky Spaghetty

27. I wanna make you happy

28. A little bit of Metal Slug

29. Railway To Heaven

30. The Not Really Ghostbusters vs Ghost Karen

A lot of great movies didn’t crack the top 30, it was a strong month!

Runner-Up Games

6. Plactions

7. 1000 Nerds

8. Spooky Music Machine

9. Block Collide

10. Valkyrie Command

11. BUMBLING BUILDERS

12. DRIFT APOCALYPSE - Drive Over Zombies

13. Dogs++

14. Zero time

15. The Lesser Evil

16. Teeter Hero

17. PullyWog

18. Halloween Art Collab [2021]

19. Rocky Rhodes and the Cracked Case

20. T.V. Boy

21. Portal Golf

22. Ninjack Rabbit

23. BATTERY ACID

24. Unstable Towers

25. CryptoCoaster

26. Pistol for President

27. Teleport Tower

28. Estresamente

29. Space Huggers

30. Uniquackle

The voter of the month and winner of honorary Supporter status is @ViewtifulValentine!

Check out the Top Featured Art and Top Featured Audio of October.

Thank you everyone who participated, Halloween season is always a lot of fun here!

Community News

We just unveiled a new site skin by @BrokenSketch, celebrating all the great works created during our Summer Animation Jams hosted by @BrandyBuizel!

Last week we had a surprise skin update by @CorTat-G, which will be getting a follow-up run:

Thank you both @BrokenSketch and @CorTat-G for the great skins!

Nov 10th is the last day to order a Summer Jams Commemorative T-shirt by @travsaus.

@Xinxinix just kicked off the Secret Santa sign-ups! Participants have until November 25th to share their OCs / personas (one per person) in the thread to participate.

@Streamers is hosting a Streamers Universe Animation War, with $3k in prizes!

@milkypossum has announced the Spooky Jam Winners!

Winners for the broader Halloween Spooktacular are still to come.

iu_466342_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 10:36:21

A lot of funny and cool entries this month! Congrats to the winners and runner-ups as always. Nice seeing the update for the medal page too.

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 11:44:43

Congratulations to everyone who won and, of course, to those who came away empty-handed, you will definitely win next time!! :D

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 11:46:12

Congrats to the winners! The medals update is a really nice touch, too. Looking at that medal change in particular, it got me thinking - @TomFulp , would it ever be possible for the Latest Shared Creations section of user's profiles to be expanded in a similar way? The way it's set up right now, I can only see the last 6 creations I made, and as far as I know, there's no easy way to access the others I've made over time. It'd be cool to get to see all the doodles, custom levels, etc etc that folks have made, too.

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 11:49:43

Wow! Many thanks to everyone who played and enjoyed the horse game! The reception on it has been amazing

Also congrats to all the other entries too!

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 12:20:41

The updates to the medal system are cool!

I used to be a big medal collector, but have fallen behind in the last few years.

I definitely still get PMs about broken medals though, so helping users unlock them is cool.

BBS Signature

FINALLY MANUAL MEDAL UNLOCK

Bless up fellas <3

Also love the surprise site skin! I need this png wallpaper in my life @brokensketch

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 12:42:51

Everyone that joins the Secret Santa gets a free smoothie!!

(our smoothie machine is currently OUT OF ORDER!)

(apologies for the inconvenience!)

*xin laugh*

Another great set of games this month! Congratulations to all the winners, and I'm very happy to see Horse with a Human Mask on a Tightrope take first place: I think a wacky and fun game like that just exemplifies Newgrounds, haha!

It was a really wild month for me in particular: there were a whole bunch of games where I went from total confusion to absolutely loving the game. For example, I was so close to giving up on STATION.60, Cryptocoaster, BATTERY ACID, Twilight Web, PullyWog and so many others because of initial confusion and frustration, but I ended up loving them all and putting them in my top 10! Take it from me: I urge anyone that might've had some trouble with games this month to give 'em another chance as you might just end up loving 'em! I feel bad for all the devs who might catch whiplash from watching my review and seeing me have a bad time, only to get a very positive written review from me based on playing it afterwards and having a blast!

Congrats to all the winners! It was fun doing the monthly voting thing for the first time, and all of the quality of life improvements to the medals were quite a nice touch!

Just a nerd and a Kirby.

Hope you have a good day! <3

(Kirby says hi!) [Sig art by @soundskies]

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 13:16:41

Another great update~

Big thx to the newgrounds team!

If I could ask a question, are tips sent through

brave as helpful to the site as supporter donations?

Just something I was curious about.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 13:36:26

Thanks for those medal updates! While you're at it, could we get a button to clear all the scores from individual boards? I might need to wipe some of the score boards for Madness Roulette but I don't want to delete and create a new board every time :X I also have ideas for faction based team events that would use the scoreboard api, and I'd like to be able to reset it quickly. Thanks!

Lotta good content in October! Congrats to the top spots!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 13:37:08

At 11/8/21 01:36 PM, larrynachos wrote: Thanks for those medal updates! While you're at it, could we get a button to clear all the scores from individual boards? I might need to wipe some of the score boards for Madness Roulette but I don't want to delete and create a new board every time :X I also have ideas for faction based team events that would use the scoreboard api, and I'd like to be able to reset it quickly. Thanks!

Lotta good content in October! Congrats to the top spots!

@PsychoGoldfish is doing scoreboard stuff next, making sure he sees this.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 13:39:52

At 11/8/21 01:16 PM, colorsCrimsonTears wrote: Another great update~
Big thx to the newgrounds team!
If I could ask a question, are tips sent through
brave as helpful to the site as supporter donations?
Just something I was curious about.

Tips via Brave are totally welcome! I'd say whatever is convenient but Supporter donations are more instantly in our bank account, while Brave tips tend to sit and could lose value over time (BAT went up a bunch recently though).

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 14:27:24

At 11/8/21 10:23 AM, TomFulp wrote: Medals Update!

The way medals display on user pages has been updated to show every medal in a game, highlighting the ones the user has. There is also now a search box for searching by game. Check out Knuckstrike’s medals collection for an example!

Users can now flag bad/broken medals by clicking the medal icon and using the flag button in the details pod.

You can now see ALL users who have earned a medal, or search for specific users.

Project managers can manually unlock medals for users who may have been robbed due to a bug or other failure. The user will have to accept the medal on their end, via their notifications and/or Requests page.

Project managers can reset medals in unpublished projects, or published projects less than 90 days old or medals with less than 100 unlocks.

Block List

We also made updates to the block list feature this week, merging blog bans into your general blocked users list and expanding blocks to include reviews and reactions, so people you block can no longer get your attention via those methods.

Best of October

Your votes are in and the Best of October have been determined!

Top Five Animation

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/819507
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/816765
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/818492
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/819029
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/817308

The top-ranked animation based on original material and winner of $250 is Salad Fingers. Congrats, @Doki!

@Stradomyre (Dead Estate Trailer) and @Ghost-Bat with Big Band Science will receive $100 each for 2nd and 3rd.

These prizes will continue next month thanks to our sponsors @SrPelo, @AnonymousAlchemist, @Diives, @mattyburrito, @53xy83457, @olskoo and @Zombie-Pimp!

If you would like to contribute to our animation prize fund, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards animation prizes.

Top Five Games

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/817197
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/819477
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/820114
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/818261
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/818305

The top game based on original material and winner of $200 is Horse with a Human Mask on a Tightrope by @jefvel! The 2nd-4th place winners of $100 each are Punch It Deluxe, Pizzio's Pizza and Crazy Cauldron.

These prizes will continue next month thanks to our ongoing game prize sponsors @AnonymousAlchemist, @Manderby, @53xy83457, @olskoo and @SrPelo!

If you would like to contribute to our game prize fund, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards game prizes.

Runner-Up Animation

6. GOD damnit KRIS (Gameboy'd)
7. The Nightmare before Halloween
8. Big Band Science
9. The Darly Boxman Show
10. Ollie & Scoops Episode 8: Warm Cream
11. DULCE O TRUCO
12. Madness Rozpierdalation 4
13. Dinkle
14. Jerma Is a Single Dad
15. Interface | Episode 24 Finale
16. In A Blue Balloon
17. Evangelion Pixel Art Collaboration!
18. DEEP DARK- Wendigo
19. - binding all night -
20. BUTCH
21. Dr. Good's Operating Theatre 2021
22. Dee and Kirby - Tee for two (Tom and Jerry parody)
23. Bridge Kids: Halloween
24. the simpsons vs sonic
25. SPACETIME THE TRAILER
26. Spooky Spaghetty
27. I wanna make you happy
28. A little bit of Metal Slug
29. Railway To Heaven
30. The Not Really Ghostbusters vs Ghost Karen

A lot of great movies didn’t crack the top 30, it was a strong month!

Runner-Up Games

6. Plactions
7. 1000 Nerds
8. Spooky Music Machine
9. Block Collide
10. Valkyrie Command
11. BUMBLING BUILDERS
12. DRIFT APOCALYPSE - Drive Over Zombies
13. Dogs++
14. Zero time
15. The Lesser Evil
16. Teeter Hero
17. PullyWog
18. Halloween Art Collab [2021]
19. Rocky Rhodes and the Cracked Case
20. T.V. Boy
21. Portal Golf
22. Ninjack Rabbit
23. BATTERY ACID
24. Unstable Towers
25. CryptoCoaster
26. Pistol for President
27. Teleport Tower
28. Estresamente
29. Space Huggers
30. Uniquackle

The voter of the month and winner of honorary Supporter status is @ViewtifulValentine!

Check out the Top Featured Art and Top Featured Audio of October.

Thank you everyone who participated, Halloween season is always a lot of fun here!

Community News

We just unveiled a new site skin by @BrokenSketch, celebrating all the great works created during our Summer Animation Jams hosted by @BrandyBuizel!

Last week we had a surprise skin update by @CorTat-G, which will be getting a follow-up run:

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/cortat-g/everything-by-everyone

Thank you both @BrokenSketch and @CorTat-G for the great skins!

Nov 10th is the last day to order a Summer Jams Commemorative T-shirt by @travsaus.

@Xinxinix just kicked off the Secret Santa sign-ups! Participants have until November 25th to share their OCs / personas (one per person) in the thread to participate.

@Streamers is hosting a Streamers Universe Animation War, with $3k in prizes!

@milkypossum has announced the Spooky Jam Winners!

Winners for the broader Halloween Spooktacular are still to come.

Amazing congrats to everyone!

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 15:15:48

At 11/8/21 02:41 PM, Incinium-z wrote: Excuse me Mr. Fulp, but could you possibly implement an expanded age filter system? It works mostly fine now, but whenever I visit other people's pages, I see everything they've made and favorited, regardless of what my filter's on. If you could change that, that'd be good for a lot of people, because I don't wanna visit a friend and see that they've been looking at or making NSFW.

Ratings filters are on their way for user pages. It will start first with their galleries and then move into places like faves.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 15:17:35

All this sounds amazing! I am glad you guys are working hard to make Newgrounds better, and congrats to all the winners. I was behind Scoops and Ollie, and I am glad one of my animations is considered that good by the users and staff.

For another great month of cool projects!

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 15:22:31

NO WAY 19TH PLACE ON ANIMATION WTF

also please buy the shirts you guys, i want to make sure we can have a thanksgiving meal for the next animation jam ok love u <3

I hate my wife

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 16:04:18

At 11/8/21 03:45 PM, FurryGaaay wrote: @TomFulp i can made a medal for patreon users??? "Small donation" if you have this medal is because you donated to the dev :3

Or is not allowed :/?

This would upset medal collectors since it would be “pay to play” so wouldn’t be a good fit for the medals system but it would be cool if we could use the Patreon API to give a different sort of badge for that, outside of the medals system.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 16:30:23

Tom i might block you to test out that feature hehe.

First post also

None

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 16:44:59

Fascinating.

Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 19:10:42

Alright! This is something I have to consider for my next game update… Next to doing some bare-knuckle fis- boxing against Java once more…

OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 19:56:07

OMG, placing in the Top 10 with Spooky Music Machine! We're so happy! Thank you to everyone who voted for it, and congrats to all the winners. It was a tough month with all these awesome games. I love Newgrounds!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 21:15:32

At 11/8/21 10:23 AM, TomFulp wrote: The way medals display on user pages has been updated to show every medal in a game, highlighting the ones the user has. There is also now a search box for searching by game. Check out Knuckstrike’s medals collection for an example!

Oooooooooooooo I like this. Now lemme find that person whose medal got janked.

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-08 22:07:57

Yo salad fingers

I'm really happy for you

[...]

but the Ultimate Showdown collab was kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

(>'-')>

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-09 11:13:53

Awesome job everyone! :)

Pink Sparkles PonyGirl201642

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-09 11:52:03

At 11/8/21 10:23 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I think some of mine are broken after the change of Flash, because I left debug on them, so they aren't working with Ruffle, and I no longer have the fla to fix them, please don't hurt me!

This is pretty amazing! I like this change, you're a wizard Harry!

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-09 12:14:02

Couldn't participate on the vote this month, but congrats to all the amazing animators and devs this month! :)

Your local Newgrounds fanboy and musician.

Bandcamp - Discord: Trit#9469

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-09 23:06:51

The new update seem to work well so far. Will have to check it further.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Best of October 2021 & Medals Update! 2021-11-13 11:09:22

At 11/8/21 10:23 AM, TomFulp wrote: Medals Update!

This is definitely cool and long overdue, and the way medals used to be displayed as well, before more recent updates. It just makes the most sense and makes it easy for medal collectors to, at a glance, see what medals they are missing, without having to click each individual game.

I can definitely see this being abused. Two reasons. One, you have medals that don't count as broken but nevertheless didn't award for some person but they might just have to try again and it very well could just be something on their end. Two, you'll have people who aren't good enough to obtain certain medal(s) incorrectly flagging them as "broken" just because they got too pissed off trying to collect it.

This is good.

This again is open to abuse. I can definitely see people putting medals in their game that are "friend-only" medals and which they will then manually unlock for their friends and only their friends and with no legitimate way to unlock said medals. Particularly easy if they also make said medals secret medals.

Why the "less than 100 unlocks"? You're basically saying all of the hardest medals can now just be reset willy-nilly.

I get if a medal is broken or otherwise needs work, that it may need to be rethought and fixed, but the vast majority of medals with less than 100 unlocks work perfectly fine it's just many of them are extremely hard to obtain (especially if under 10 unlocks, let's say) and most people just lack the skills to do so. Except for broken medals, these shouldn't be removed.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here