00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Summer Animation Jams Round 5!

59,740 Views | 152 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Via Summer Jams organizer @BrandyBuizel:

Summer Animation Jams ROUND 5

Sorry for being a day late with the post; I hope you're all excited to get started this weekend.

The FINAL ROUND of the Summer Animation Jams begins TODAY!

This is gonna be a long one: we’d like to give participants the usual amount of time to work on their entries now that, admittedly, the summer has ended and many promising animators are fitting this all in with their busy school schedule. Hopefully the extra time evens things out and for those of you with no other massive time commitments you can make your submission even longer and cooler!

Make a Trailer

“...for something that doesn’t exist(yet)!”

Create a trailer for a fake movie, a fake game, a fake anything that your heart desires, so long as it is not based on any existing Intellectual Property. This is the time to pitch something new, maybe even a concept you’ve been thinking about for a long time. Some positive reception to your trailer could be just the push you need to commit to the real thing!

Here’s a few good promos from the site:

If episode one or two of your original animated series is out already don’t use that. Give us something fresh: you don’t have to make the actual show/movie/game, just the trailer for it!

JAM REQUIREMENTS

Upload your animation to Newgrounds any time between now and the due date. There is no formal signup process, just tag your entry with “Epic-Trailer-Jam” to enter.

1. Your entry cannot be about a property that already exists, so please don’t make us disqualify you on a technicality(e.g. you made a trailer for your madness day game or something like that).
  2. Audio is required. You don’t need voice-over for a good trailer, but music always helps. You can get an original composition done by a teammate or pick from one of these many royalty-free resources including the Audio Portal.
  3. Does the trailer need to be for a movie or a game or a series? No, go nuts.
  4. No NSFW submissions. Gore/Violence/Cursing is totally allowed, but none of them exposed, jiggly sex-bits please.
  5. Minimum length: 15 seconds.

ROUND 5 Judges:

@BrandyBuizel - 3rd Place Winner of the 2018 Summer Animation Jams and your sorrowful host of SAJ 2021. I’m gonna miss this event, thanks for the awesome ride <3

@KarlSia - 1st Place Winner of the 2018 Summer Animation Jams(by an impressive lead).

@BadTwinZ - 2nd Place Winner of the 2018 Summer Animation Jams.

@RicePirate - Mick has an extended library of creative content, I’ll be damned if you don’t know him or his contributions to the website over the years. He’s been hard at work on Blood Sun: Vendetta.

@Krinkels - Creator of Madness Combat and host of Madness Day. Check it out, they got some awesome prizes for all kinds of content lined up!

@DOMROMART - Returning judge from Round 1 and a king when it comes to style. They’re bringing back the zine and been making hella trailers for them too.

@MalcolmSith - Making trailers is his art form. Malcolm suggested the final round theme, and recently released his own short movie made over the course of a year.

Judges can choose to participate in a round, but they will not be considered in the rankings for that round.

Due Date:

Sunday, October 3rd @ 11:59PM PST

Happy animating as always!

Ongoing Jam Prize Pool

The Top 3 Winners Overall will receive a custom, commemorative Newgrounds shirt exclusive to the Summer Animation Jams (and they are sooooo comfy). The winners will get their pick from 4 special designs currently being worked on by a very talented illustrator, each receiving a one-of-a-kind prize to wear and brag about online and at the next Newgrounds meetup. The 4th design that remains will be sold online for a limited time at the end of the summer and all proceeds will go directly to kickstarting the next Newgrounds Animation Jam!

We teased one design In-Progress in the ROUND 4 Winners post.

@BrandyBuizel will reach out to the winners via Newgrounds DM for shipping addresses when the winners have been announced and the jams have concluded. More details on purchasing the limited run shirts later in the month.

@ScarecrowArts, @SrPelo, and Newgrounds each tossed in $500, @Derpixon $300, @AnonymousAlchemist and @LumpyTouch $200 each, @summerskoo, @53xy83457, @AlantheBOX, @CorTat-G, @wheezl, @AndytheDandy and @VariantSeven each gave $100, @tiarawhy $75, @Iggykoop, @StaggerNight, @PssychoPie, @ZaazNG, @1DarkVoid, @Butzbo, @Saminat and @CaperCube each gave $50, @NickSenny and @mochabaebae $30, @MKMaffo $25, @ConnorGrail $20, @RobotoSkunk $5 and an anonymous fan donated $1,500!

The winners with the most points by the end of the event will be awarded these prizes:

1st - $1,400 + 1st place winner shirt

2nd - $1000 + 2nd place winner shirt

3rd - $800 + 3rd place winner shirt

4th - $550

5th - $450

6th - $300

7th - $155

8th - $130

9th - $100

10th - $100

A grand total of $4,885 in prize money (holy shit dood).

Each winner will also receive a copy of The Story Goes On by @ScarecrowArts on the platform of your choice (Steam/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch), and two copies of Frame Game, an upcoming game from @CaperCube and @stejkRobot on Steam (demo on newgrounds).

If you’d like to chip in to boost the Summer Animation Jams prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM Tom a heads up that you donated towards the Summer Animation Jams.

If you enjoyed this year’s Summer Animation Jams or some of the many other collabs and contests on the website then Support Newgrounds and take a stab at hosting an event like this yourself! I’ll be itching to see someone else take on the mantle of hosting the Summer Animation Jams next year :D

Promo banner created by @MalcolmSith with 3D Models by @ayekerik @DOGL @FLARE145 @GRUB-LORD and @chexter10538.

iu_409751_1.webp

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Other News

Winners of our Never Ending Dance Jam (Round 4) were announced.

Winners of Robot Day were announced.

Winners of the Toodee and Topdee Art Contest were announced.

Winners of the Fancy Pants Art Contest were announced.

We hosted a list-themed game jam last weekend and will be making a follow-up post soon!

The Summer Poetry Writing Contest deadline is September 6th.

Madness Day is September 22nd.

@CryoGX has launched the Advent NEON Kickstarter! You can play the demo here on NG and give it some support if you’d like to help Cryo see it through.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 07:00:55

oh god

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 07:15:34

Holly crap We have one entire month to do this????? Thank you!!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 07:28:16

At 9/4/21 07:12 AM, dlopp wrote:
At 9/4/21 07:10 AM, dlopp wrote: I'm gonna do a Newgrounds mobile app trailer
oh wait nvm its an intellectual property

Maybe a different app!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 07:41:28

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMM

iu_408819_6919429.gif

hopefully Stradomyre dont make something, cause he's on fire.

also can you bump this to the first post, you can move your other news post down lower, i dont mind.

first post!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 07:59:55

At 9/4/21 07:53 AM, Luis wrote: hopefully Stradomyre dont make something, cause he's on fire.

also can you bump this to the first post, you can move your other news post down lower, i dont mind.

first post!

how are you still level 7?

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 08:01:19

At 9/4/21 07:59 AM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 9/4/21 07:53 AM, Luis wrote: hopefully Stradomyre dont make something, cause he's on fire.

first post!
how are you still level 7?

its not the size of the level its how you use it.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 08:25:43

I should see if someone needs a voice over...

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 08:47:15

I can't use any IP but can I use historic stuff/people? Would something like a trailer for a Abraham Lincoln dating sim be okay?

Only valid after midnight, every other fortnight, when the store is already closed.

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 08:51:27

At 9/4/21 08:47 AM, coystags wrote: I can't use any IP but can I use historic stuff/people? Would something like a trailer for a Abraham Lincoln dating sim be okay?

Yes!

"In a world.... *inception sound* .....one red haired kid...*inception sound*....must...go...all...the...way. *bass drop* "

That ones a freebie! ;) Joking aside. What a great way to finish out the Summer Animation Jam!

BBS Signature

I appreciate you all being very considerate of our schedules <3 I was worried I wouldn’t have an opportunity due to it.

I’ll try to whip up something myself while balancing classes, since reading this news already gave me an idea with my OCs.

Ms. busy bee!! <3

BBS Signature

Again, offering my services as voice actor to anyone interested. You can find my portfolio here and DM me if you're interested.

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 09:27:20

I doubt anyone asked but I have a few ideas

But just ideas. I don't have the equipment to do much else

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 09:51:58

an animated trailer, sounds interesting.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 09:55:33

Already thinking of ideas for this, gonna be a fun one

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 10:04:02

Let's hope everyone has fun doing this.

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 10:08:17

If any of you animators need voices in your trailer make sure to hit me or any of the amazing VAs from the NGVAC! I can do a pretty good movie trailer voice or any voice you need!

You need a voice? I got plenty for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 10:30:05

At 9/4/21 06:50 AM, TomFulp wrote: Via Summer Jams organizer @BrandyBuizel:

Summer Animation Jams ROUND 5

Sorry for being a day late with the post; I hope you're all excited to get started this weekend.

The FINAL ROUND of the Summer Animation Jams begins TODAY!

This is gonna be a long one: we’d like to give participants the usual amount of time to work on their entries now that, admittedly, the summer has ended and many promising animators are fitting this all in with their busy school schedule. Hopefully the extra time evens things out and for those of you with no other massive time commitments you can make your submission even longer and cooler!

Make a Trailer
“...for something that doesn’t exist(yet)!”

Create a trailer for a fake movie, a fake game, a fake anything that your heart desires, so long as it is not based on any existing Intellectual Property. This is the time to pitch something new, maybe even a concept you’ve been thinking about for a long time. Some positive reception to your trailer could be just the push you need to commit to the real thing!

Here’s a few good promos from the site:

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/712929
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/804770
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/811679

If episode one or two of your original animated series is out already don’t use that. Give us something fresh: you don’t have to make the actual show/movie/game, just the trailer for it!

JAM REQUIREMENTS
Upload your animation to Newgrounds any time between now and the due date. There is no formal signup process, just tag your entry with “Epic-Trailer-Jam” to enter.

ROUND 5 Judges:

@BrandyBuizel - 3rd Place Winner of the 2018 Summer Animation Jams and your sorrowful host of SAJ 2021. I’m gonna miss this event, thanks for the awesome ride <3

@KarlSia - 1st Place Winner of the 2018 Summer Animation Jams(by an impressive lead).

@BadTwinZ - 2nd Place Winner of the 2018 Summer Animation Jams.

@RicePirate - Mick has an extended library of creative content, I’ll be damned if you don’t know him or his contributions to the website over the years. He’s been hard at work on Blood Sun: Vendetta.

@Krinkels - Creator of Madness Combat and host of Madness Day. Check it out, they got some awesome prizes for all kinds of content lined up!

@DOMROMART - Returning judge from Round 1 and a king when it comes to style. They’re bringing back the zine and been making hella trailers for them too.

@MalcolmSith - Making trailers is his art form. Malcolm suggested the final round theme, and recently released his own short movie made over the course of a year.

Judges can choose to participate in a round, but they will not be considered in the rankings for that round.

Due Date:

Sunday, October 3rd @ 11:59PM PST
Happy animating as always!

Ongoing Jam Prize Pool

The Top 3 Winners Overall will receive a custom, commemorative Newgrounds shirt exclusive to the Summer Animation Jams (and they are sooooo comfy). The winners will get their pick from 4 special designs currently being worked on by a very talented illustrator, each receiving a one-of-a-kind prize to wear and brag about online and at the next Newgrounds meetup. The 4th design that remains will be sold online for a limited time at the end of the summer and all proceeds will go directly to kickstarting the next Newgrounds Animation Jam!

We teased one design In-Progress in the ROUND 4 Winners post.

@BrandyBuizel will reach out to the winners via Newgrounds DM for shipping addresses when the winners have been announced and the jams have concluded. More details on purchasing the limited run shirts later in the month.

@ScarecrowArts, @SrPelo, and Newgrounds each tossed in $500, @Derpixon $300, @AnonymousAlchemist and @LumpyTouch $200 each, @summerskoo, @53xy83457, @AlantheBOX, @CorTat-G, @wheezl and @VariantSeven each gave $100, @tiarawhy $75, @Iggykoop, @StaggerNight, @PssychoPie, @ZaazNG, @1DarkVoid, @Butzbo, @Saminat and @CaperCube each gave $50, @NickSenny and @mochabaebae $30, @MKMaffo $25, @ConnorGrail $20, @RobotoSkunk $5 and an anonymous fan donated $1,500!

The winners with the most points by the end of the event will be awarded these prizes:

1st - $1,400 + 1st place winner shirt
2nd - $950 + 2nd place winner shirt
3rd - $750 + 3rd place winner shirt
4th - $550
5th - $450
6th - $300
7th - $155
8th - $130
9th - $100
10th - $100

A grand total of $4,885 in prize money (holy shit dood).

Each winner will also receive a copy of The Story Goes On by @ScarecrowArts on the platform of your choice (Steam/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch), and two copies of Frame Game, an upcoming game from @CaperCube and @stejkRobot on Steam (demo on newgrounds).

If you’d like to chip in to boost the Summer Animation Jams prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM Tom a heads up that you donated towards the Summer Animation Jams.

If you enjoyed this year’s Summer Animation Jams or some of the many other collabs and contests on the website then Support Newgrounds and take a stab at hosting an event like this yourself! I’ll be itching to see someone else take on the mantle of hosting the Summer Animation Jams next year :D

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 10:42:50

I have a question! I'm not sure the details of copywrite rules, but would I be allowed to create a cover of an existing song for the background?

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 11:26:00

At 9/4/21 06:50 AM, TomFulp wrote: Other News

Winners of our Never Ending Dance Jam (Round 4) were announced.

Winners of Robot Day were announced.

Winners of the Toodee and Topdee Art Contest were announced.

Winners of the Fancy Pants Art Contest were announced.

We hosted a list-themed game jam last weekend and will be making a follow-up post soon!

The Summer Poetry Writing Contest deadline is September 6th.

Madness Day is September 22nd.

@CryoGX has launched the Advent NEON Kickstarter! You can play the demo here on NG and give it some support if you’d like to help Cryo see it through.

i am super ready for madness day. I am actually drawing some art for it.

obama

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 11:50:33

Time to brain storm

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 12:01:05

Heh, just make it the "Mewgrounds" mobile app, a portal for art, animation, web games, and audio ;). Maybe they'll get the hint, lol

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 12:24:59

At 9/4/21 12:01 PM, leamos wrote:
Heh, just make it the "Mewgrounds" mobile app, a portal for art, animation, web games, and audio ;). Maybe they'll get the hint, lol

Its newgrounds your donkey

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 12:33:25

Sounds epic!

Pink Sparkles PonyGirl201642

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 13:05:33

This is going to be a very open and creative one. This is a big opportunity for those to go nuts and creative with this.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 13:27:01

ooh this should be interesting. if anyone needs an artist for this hmu... 😳

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 5! 2021-09-04 14:52:18

If I license Deadpool can I make a trailer for it. I’ll send the paperwork

None

BBS Signature