00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!!

1,905 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

After agonizing over this forever, we have come to an agreement for the top 3 winners for the Valentine’s Day writing contest.

1st Place: @Supertoria12

2nd Place: @Gagsy

3rd Place: @Adam-Beilgard

Congratulations to all 3 of you! @TomFulp will be contacting you shortly regarding your payment of winnings. Thank you @GoryBlizzard for helping me judge! Thank you, mystery 3rd person, for helping us out as well.  

I just want to say that judging was incredibly difficult. We were faced with having to choose our favorites out of a pool of entries where all of them were amazing. We fought about this every night and went to bed irritated with each other like old married people.

I’d like to add my thoughts regarding your entries. Also, I plan to host another writing contest in a few months, for cash prizes, but I’d like to NOT judge. I don’t want anyone feeling like maybe I just don’t like them. That’s certainly not the case and I passed up entries by some people who are definitely my favs.

So, if you’d like to judge a future contest, holla at me. I’ll fund the prizes and set the rules but hand off judging to 3 other folks.

I read all stories 32894789279 times so if I leave you off here, PLEASE call me out. It doesn’t mean I didn’t read your entry; it means I posted something wrong while copying my notes.

@TehPopTartKids You use humor very well! Everything you write is fun to read and I have no doubt Elon Musk will still be alive in 2080

@Boss Very descriptive writing! (mounds of hairy asses hahahaha) I feel like you wrote a very specific part just for GoryBlizzard. Great job writing “the trip” I’m pretty sure I had a contact high.

@Xinxinix I was so in love with the atmosphere in your story. It had that “Do Androids Dream” and “Sin City” feeling to it that I crave when I’m reading, and I loved the ending as well.

@Little-Rena I really enjoyed this one. It was very well written, and I’m not just saying that to be nice or whatever! I mean there was cake AND paddling and that’s great.

@dragonadam0 This was short but sweet! The ending wrapped up the emotions nicely.

@ChirayuWriter I enjoyed all of your entries! I think I may end up hosting a poetry contest for people who are more comfortable writing poems. We have great poets here.

@LiamRomK We fought about yours a lot, we really enjoyed it! I love your ending. I love that they chose an imperfect love because it was real. They knew they’d have issues and things wouldn’t always be perfect, but it was their love and they chose that instead of utopia, a great message in my opinion.

@DiskCrash We fought about yours a lot as well, we enjoyed it. I particularly think you do an excellent job at your setting and describing things. I wanted badly to know what happened with your characters when it was all over.

@VanilOS  I enjoyed how yours was so far into the future that they changed the name. It was a fun read!

@QAN You are excellent at writing dialog and in such a short time, you established your characters well.

@RainyG You did an excellent job capturing the pain at the same time as the love. The dilemma, the suffering, the selflessness. Very emotional read

@Emeraldia-the-kitty   I love anything with cats! I appreciated all of the mentions of kitties!

@TangoStar This was a very sweet story. Like while reading it, it played in my head like an indie romance movie. It had a great arch for the plot, and you developed both characters well.

@SSNormanDie  You did a very good job writing suicide, self-harm, and that entire conflict. I won’t go so far as to detail my personal struggles other than to say that I relate, and you captured this internal struggle perfectly.

@Urichov I know you said you threw it together last minute, but you did quite well! I do hope you enter another contest.

@TopazAzul You did very well writing the arch of the relationship, and it ended with babies so clearly it worked.

@Adam-Beilgard You did an excellent job tying all of this together! The ending was perfect. All 3 judges agreed regarding how much we enjoyed your entry and the way you wove it all up.

@Gagsy Excellent writing the relationship between the 2 boys as well as the romance in a truly short time which I think is difficult. I was extremely impressed with how in depth all characters and their relationships were developed for a short story--- and it was a fun read.

@Supertoria12 This one played out in my head like a movie and both Gory and I had it as one of our favorites immediately, there was no fighting regarding this one. We loved it. I felt the romance was very beautifully written in how diverse the description was regarding their emotions, their actions, the physical aspect---and then the setting was also incredibly well developed. You could easily finish writing this one, it’d make a good book.

@Mitchelf I only saw one page for your entry, and I looked through the entire thread a few times. What you did enter was good though!

@CIEIRMusic This one was short but sweet! I was dark but you quickly established the nurse’s frame of mind and it was an interesting read.

@RemileOduen I enjoyed yours as well! It’ a genre that I appreciate, and I think you did an excellent job writing that genre, time period, etc. You captured emotions perfectly.

@LunarAvocados Yours was a fun read too! You also did a great job with character banter.

@Unabated I enjoyed yours very much. You are an excellent writer; I enjoyed your entry at Halloween as well. You wrote the relationship between the detectives very well and your ending was perfect.

@Mabelma  Man, I couldn’t stop reading this one. Like once I started, I had to finish, I had to know what happened to them. I enjoy a dark love story! This one was dark.

@PeterLassier You did an excellent job writing both dialog and the character relationship. I got super attached to your characters and I loved the ending. We really enjoyed your entry, we agonized over this one too.

@Fersto  I thought this one was incredibly sweet, and it made me smile to read it. You did a fabulous job showing that deep emotion in a short story.

@CrosEl I loved your entry but I need to confess that one reason I loved it was because it reminded me of the Futurama episode where Zoidberg smells---mind you, I am not accusing you of plagiarizing or anything like that! You did a great job writing the drama and the dilemma!

@HandoNosejob Sometimes all you have left of romance are the memories right? Very well written, I enjoyed the read. 

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Thank you to everyone who participated and gave me lots of great reading material to soak in, especially during slower days at my desk.

There isn't much else that hasn't been said that needs to be said. Through it all, I've had boners, I felt my heart warm up, basically the things I wanted to feel in analyzing much of these.

Until next year...😘💕❤

Former iron fist mod of the NG Featureless Chat from May 23, 2012 to May 4, 2014.

NYC Meet 2010 | NYC Meet 2011 | NYC Meet 2013

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-25 19:36:03

Well damn, it was a long shot for me, I'm a better writer than I am a reader, and I can't even read very well. I can tell you that I haven't read any of the contest submissions, including my own! Congrats to all the winners, shame I can't read them for enjoyment, dyslexia is a bitch.

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-25 19:37:36

At 2/25/21 07:36 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Well damn, it was a long shot for me, I'm a better writer than I am a reader, and I can't even read very well. I can tell you that I haven't read any of the contest submissions, including my own! Congrats to all the winners, shame I can't read them for enjoyment, dyslexia is a bitch.

You did a great job now you stop or ima smack ya with a sea bass.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-25 21:27:43

Congratulations to all the winners. I hope to compete next time!

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-25 23:32:16

At 2/25/21 07:06 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote: After agonizing over this forever, we have come to an agreement for the top 3 winners for the Valentine’s Day writing contest.

Congratulations to all 3 of you! @TomFulp will be contacting you shortly regarding your payment of winnings. Thank you @GoryBlizzard for helping me judge! Thank you, mystery 3rd person, for helping us out as well. 

I just want to say that judging was incredibly difficult. We were faced with having to choose our favorites out of a pool of entries where all of them were amazing. We fought about this every night and went to bed irritated with each other like old married people.

I’d like to add my thoughts regarding your entries. Also, I plan to host another writing contest in a few months, for cash prizes, but I’d like to NOT judge. I don’t want anyone feeling like maybe I just don’t like them. That’s certainly not the case and I passed up entries by some people who are definitely my favs.
So, if you’d like to judge a future contest, holla at me. I’ll fund the prizes and set the rules but hand off judging to 3 other folks.

I read all stories 32894789279 times so if I leave you off here, PLEASE call me out. It doesn’t mean I didn’t read your entry; it means I posted something wrong while copying my notes.

@TehPopTartKids You use humor very well! Everything you write is fun to read and I have no doubt Elon Musk will still be alive in 2080

@Boss Very descriptive writing! (mounds of hairy asses hahahaha) I feel like you wrote a very specific part just for GoryBlizzard. Great job writing “the trip” I’m pretty sure I had a contact high.

@Xinxinix I was so in love with the atmosphere in your story. It had that “Do Androids Dream” and “Sin City” feeling to it that I crave when I’m reading, and I loved the ending as well.

@Little-Rena I really enjoyed this one. It was very well written, and I’m not just saying that to be nice or whatever! I mean there was cake AND paddling and that’s great.

@dragonadam0 This was short but sweet! The ending wrapped up the emotions nicely.

@ChirayuWriter I enjoyed all of your entries! I think I may end up hosting a poetry contest for people who are more comfortable writing poems. We have great poets here.

@LiamRomK We fought about yours a lot, we really enjoyed it! I love your ending. I love that they chose an imperfect love because it was real. They knew they’d have issues and things wouldn’t always be perfect, but it was their love and they chose that instead of utopia, a great message in my opinion.

@DiskCrash We fought about yours a lot as well, we enjoyed it. I particularly think you do an excellent job at your setting and describing things. I wanted badly to know what happened with your characters when it was all over.

@VanilOS  I enjoyed how yours was so far into the future that they changed the name. It was a fun read!

@QAN You are excellent at writing dialog and in such a short time, you established your characters well.

@RainyG You did an excellent job capturing the pain at the same time as the love. The dilemma, the suffering, the selflessness. Very emotional read

@Emeraldia-the-kitty   I love anything with cats! I appreciated all of the mentions of kitties!

@TangoStar This was a very sweet story. Like while reading it, it played in my head like an indie romance movie. It had a great arch for the plot, and you developed both characters well.

@SSNormanDie You did a very good job writing suicide, self-harm, and that entire conflict. I won’t go so far as to detail my personal struggles other than to say that I relate, and you captured this internal struggle perfectly.

@Urichov I know you said you threw it together last minute, but you did quite well! I do hope you enter another contest.

@TopazAzul You did very well writing the arch of the relationship, and it ended with babies so clearly it worked.

@Adam-Beilgard You did an excellent job tying all of this together! The ending was perfect. All 3 judges agreed regarding how much we enjoyed your entry and the way you wove it all up.

@Gagsy Excellent writing the relationship between the 2 boys as well as the romance in a truly short time which I think is difficult. I was extremely impressed with how in depth all characters and their relationships were developed for a short story--- and it was a fun read.

@Supertoria12 This one played out in my head like a movie and both Gory and I had it as one of our favorites immediately, there was no fighting regarding this one. We loved it. I felt the romance was very beautifully written in how diverse the description was regarding their emotions, their actions, the physical aspect---and then the setting was also incredibly well developed. You could easily finish writing this one, it’d make a good book.

@Mitchelf I only saw one page for your entry, and I looked through the entire thread a few times. What you did enter was good though!

@CIEIRMusic This one was short but sweet! I was dark but you quickly established the nurse’s frame of mind and it was an interesting read.

@RemileOduen I enjoyed yours as well! It’ a genre that I appreciate, and I think you did an excellent job writing that genre, time period, etc. You captured emotions perfectly.

@LunarAvocados Yours was a fun read too! You also did a great job with character banter.

@Unabated I enjoyed yours very much. You are an excellent writer; I enjoyed your entry at Halloween as well. You wrote the relationship between the detectives very well and your ending was perfect.

@Mabelma  Man, I couldn’t stop reading this one. Like once I started, I had to finish, I had to know what happened to them. I enjoy a dark love story! This one was dark.

@PeterLassier You did an excellent job writing both dialog and the character relationship. I got super attached to your characters and I loved the ending. We really enjoyed your entry, we agonized over this one too.

@Fersto  I thought this one was incredibly sweet, and it made me smile to read it. You did a fabulous job showing that deep emotion in a short story.

@CrosEl I loved your entry but I need to confess that one reason I loved it was because it reminded me of the Futurama episode where Zoidberg smells---mind you, I am not accusing you of plagiarizing or anything like that! You did a great job writing the drama and the dilemma!

@HandoNosejob Sometimes all you have left of romance are the memories right? Very well written, I enjoyed the read. 

Thank you! For the feedback, this was a really fund challenge and I had a ton of fun participating in it. Congratulations to the winners ✨✨🙌

At 2/25/21 07:06 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote: We fought about yours a lot as well

You're lying. If that was truly a fight, the real kind of fight - a fight to the death, at least one of you would've died. Or is that why the 3rd judge is proclaimed to be a "mystery judge?" Because you don't want to give the police any leads towards a certain person's death?

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 04:36:43

First of all I want to thank @SevenSaysNoToDrugs for organizing the contest. I would also like to Congratulate @Supertoria12, @Gagsy and @Adam-Beilgard for their wins. You've earned them. Free advice, spend it on something you never spent money on before. I would also like to thank you further Seven for not just critiquing my work, but giving every entry a critique. I never saw that coming, but I'm glad because it shows you were giving us all a fair chance. As for my own Critique that was exactly what I was going for. I'm a sucker for tragic love stories so the fact that mine was pretty dark, I take that as a badge of honor. Hope to see the next contest.

CIEIR, short for "Could It Exist In Real-Life?"

(Pronounced Seer: A person who can see the Future.)

See the future through music. Feel the future through music.

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 04:59:48

Congrats to the winners, and good job everyone else. Not to exclude the winners from the whole good job business but you know.

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 05:54:20

At 2/26/21 01:45 AM, DiskCrash wrote:
At 2/25/21 07:06 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote: We fought about yours a lot as well
You're lying. If that was truly a fight, the real kind of fight - a fight to the death, at least one of you would've died. Or is that why the 3rd judge is proclaimed to be a "mystery judge?" Because you don't want to give the police any leads towards a certain person's death?

I tried to die.

I tried so hard.

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 06:20:56

And thus love was in the air. It's so nice so many people participated. See ya all in the next contest folks :)

It takes a real man to cry

It takes a real woman to strive

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 06:23:53

Congrats to the winners and thanks to the judges/organisers - already looking forward to the next one!

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 08:42:57

Congratulations to everyone! I couldn't read all stories but I really enjoyed the ones I did read.

I'm really thankful for all the positive feedback I received for my story. I am aware it had some weird grammar that made the reading awkward, but I'm glad people enjoyed it anyways. It really makes me feel more confident about sharing stories in this format, specially since it's my first time writing a story.

Happy late Valentines!

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 12:46:49

At 2/26/21 05:54 AM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote: I tried to die.

I tried so hard.

Aw, you sound like a comparably nice person. Don't rush yourself into old age related problems. You'll get there when you get there

\ / Bunny ears didn't happen by accident

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 14:32:06

At 2/25/21 07:06 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote: After agonizing over this forever, we have come to an agreement for the top 3 winners for the Valentine’s Day writing contest.

Wow! Congrats to the winners! Good job everybody. Also, thank you Gory and Seven for judging and giving me feedback. I appreciate it. I really had fun entering this contest and I look forward to the next one. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 16:03:55

Mind blown.

Congratulations to my fellow winners and everyone else who took the time and effort to take part. I know for me personally I get inspiration to start projects but finishing them is the hardest part, all of you have my respect for the wonderful words you put to pad.

Because I am overwhelmed and underserved (imo) I have already donated the prize winnings to a cause close to my heart. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do so. I hope to keep writing and improving and each contest is a lot of fun for me in something I have a passion for but never fully pursued.

x

iu_248477_1603047.jpg

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-26 18:46:24

@SSNormanDie You did a very good job writing suicide, self-harm, and that entire conflict. I won’t go so far as to detail my personal struggles other than to say that I relate, and you captured this internal struggle perfectly.

I uh...... I cannot believe I actually won. Especially considering how amazing everybody else's entries were!!! I am incredibly humbled and feel really good now about my desire to write even more about Sif and Astrid. Gonna have to thank History Channel's "Vikings" and Ubisoft's "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla" for inspiration on the setting of my story. Upon finding out I won, I also have to admit that - giant freaking Viking-obsessed nerd that I am - I was wearing a Viking tunic and sharpening a bearded axe. I raise a drinking horn to everybody who participated and shout "SKOL!"

But seriously, thank you so much SevenSaysNoToDrugs and GoryBlizzard and to everybody else who took part in this! I can't wait till the next contest!!!

Just another nobody trying hard to be a somebody.

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-27 00:30:01

At 2/25/21 07:37 PM, SevenSaysNoToDrugs wrote:
At 2/25/21 07:36 PM, Little-Rena wrote: Well damn, it was a long shot for me, I'm a better writer than I am a reader, and I can't even read very well. I can tell you that I haven't read any of the contest submissions, including my own! Congrats to all the winners, shame I can't read them for enjoyment, dyslexia is a bitch.
You did a great job now you stop or ima smack ya with a sea bass.

Don't make promises you can't keep!

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-27 06:25:21

Congrats to the winners and many thanks to the judges!

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-27 21:05:10

I WASNT INVITED TO THIS

GORY WANTS ME TO STILL WRITE A STORY ABOUT ME FUCKING A GIRL

STOP LETTING HIM SUMMON ME

gaydemocrat: i just found a seed in my dope

gaydemocrat: this is a fucking outrage

BBS Signature

Response to Valentine Writing Contest Winners!!!!! 2021-02-28 12:27:38

The transparency and openness to be moved by words is appreciated.

Remember writers, wordsmiths, artists.... If you want to get better, move forward, grow, push yourself in positive ways to improve. Love this discipline, this craft, even when it doesn't love you back.

It's awesome so many took the plunge and got it done under a deadline. That's one of the tests of someone who has the potential not to melt under the harsh lights of prime time. Writing is often undervalued, and judged harshly. Be prepared!