00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup

6,759 Views | 54 Replies
Respond to this Topic

If you missed it, on Friday we announced the winners of our Shelter in Place Art Jam!

Portal Turns 20

Tomorrow marks the 20th Anniversary of the automated Portal system! The Portal was originally introduced in 1999 but on April 6th, 2000 it became automated and was the first ever place on the internet where people could instantly publish their games and movies… for better or worse!

I should probably be making a bigger deal about it but if you want to celebrate, the best way to do so is to be active on NG in the present. Share the things you make, share feedback, or just share links to NG in places where people might not know it exists. Newgrounds might make history but it's not meant to be history.

If you’re lurking in the shadows but not engaging because it’s been years since you made something, DON’T LET THAT STOP YOU. One of my favorite things in the world is seeing old-timers pop up in forum threads and reviews. You have no idea how much it means to people when they see your face around here. On the Internet, no one knows you’re there if you don’t speak up. Same goes for newcomers!

Fan Art Roundup

There’s been some great NG-adjacent fan art this weekend, here's a summary:

@Stradomyre, who made Kevil the Japanese Devil, shared some great art! One piece is a tribute to Smiling Friends, the pilot by @psychicpebbles and @MichaelCusack that recently ran on Adult Swim:

Another piece congratulates Starship Goldfish, which got signed by the studio behind Rick & Morty!

@Ennuikal uploaded a bunch of cool ones, including fan art for Smiling Friends and Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken:

Many of you probably don’t know @popyea was one of the Eizouken intro animators and works on the show! Check out more Eizouken fan art.

Red-VHS made a Tough Bippy animated gif, in tribute to the upcoming game by DingDong and Julian, previously part of @OneyPlays. Check out more Tough Bippy fan art.

@Shamfoo made a Picollage2020 entry based on @MackleNG’s CHOKEPOINT webcomic.

I’ve been enjoying all the Picollage entries so far and am grateful to @BillPremo and @LoganPhresh for organizing it this year. There have been some great tributes to classics, like @IvanAlmighty’s take on Portal Defenders and @3DRod’s tribute to Tarboy.

@test-object dug deep and made a piece inspired by Cooties Bar.

Cooties Bar X-Ray Glasses turns 20 on June 17th and you can play it without Flash thanks to @Mike and the team at Ruffle.rs. If you’re a fan of Flash preservation, please consider becoming a Ruffle Sponsor.

My 20+ year old game UFA is also working via Ruffle and recently inspired @ProsciuttoMan:

That wood chipper made a return cameo in the console version of Alien Hominid. The original web Alien Hominid is also working via Ruffle and Alien Hominid Invasion is coming up next for PC and consoles!

I’ll note there’s been some great fan-art this weekend for games outside of NG as well, such as Curly Brace from Cave Story, by @wamudraws and Fio from Metal Slug, by @ValmarDraws.

Pico Day Art Contest

Every day is a great day to share fan art of people's original characters on Newgrounds but if you only do it once this year, upload your work on Pico Day, May 9th. We’re awarding $650 in prizes to the best art inspired by anything here on NG!

We’re also hosting a HaxeFlixel Game Jam with the theme “Alone, Together” and $1,300 in prizes for the top games.

HANDS UP!

@JoelG released a new episode of HANDS UP this weekend!

Noting because Joel's OCs Margo and Ula also have some cool pieces in the Art Portal.

#SixFanarts

There’s a SixFanarts challenge going around the web where you take suggestions (or make your own list) and create fan art for six characters. Grab the template and give it a shot! Tag your entry with SixFanarts so people can see them all. Here are some examples by @AlcaNG, @AnimatedAF and @Potterzilla:

That’s all I got for today! There may be a short window of downtime tomorrow while we make some deployments. An update post will follow but you can keep an eye on how things are running via newgrounds-status.com, if you’re ever curious.

Monday Update: NG is trending on Twitter today so we've postponed the planned downtime and site update.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 16:15:51

Not sure what to think of the fact that the portal's existence outlives me by a few months (before it was automated anyway). WOW.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 16:23:04

lov all these fanarts. and portal turnin 20 time sure flies it feels like just yesterday when i was submitting my stickman flashes and getting blammed in the year 2000

At 4/5/20 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I’ve been enjoying all the Picollage entries so far and am grateful to @BillPremo for organizing it this year.

also beep beep my man @LoganPhresh is co-organizing Picollage shoutouts shoutouts

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 16:45:48

And it only ever gets better by the day, here's to 20 more years

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 16:50:04

MEGAFLEX

Great post!

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 16:54:00

*Thumbs up*

I Love Muzy Frile.

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 16:56:20

damn, what a milestone. Also, didn't know that about the Eizouken opening, thats so damn cool!! God I love this place

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 17:08:56

At 4/5/20 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: One of my favorite things in the world is seeing old-timers pop up in forum threads and reviews.

Tom stop making us feel like grannies and promote the crap out of this video because it's the best thing on the front page

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 17:29:18

At 4/5/20 05:08 PM, FrozenFire wrote:
At 4/5/20 04:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: One of my favorite things in the world is seeing old-timers pop up in forum threads and reviews.
Tom stop making us feel like grannies and promote the crap out of this video because it's the best thing on the front page
//www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/751730

Alright I'm giving it a spin in the big box now!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 17:33:23

though i havent been here for 20 years, im excited for the next 20 years long live newgrounds :)

BBS Signature

Definitely for better, much better! Twenty years ago the Internet was forever here revolutionized, and most people don't even know it. Though if they did know I wonder what would've become of this place. Might've lost that creative edge, always against the odds; always trying to prove itself and become better and better; with the community to back it up all the more because of it. What an awesome ride it's been though, and is, and hopefully will be! Happy 20th in a bit!

Cooties Bar X-Ray Glasses might be the submission I remember most out of the ones I first stumbled upon when I arrived here too. Awesome to see it still getting recotion.

And that status site! Awesome.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 18:02:11

Happy anniversary portal, we love you!

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 19:11:52

Happy Birthday Portal, very cool!

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 20:55:45

Wow I didn't realize all that cool stuff. The fact that Newgrounds was the first place is mind blowing. I'm glad im here now! Here's to the next 20 years!

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 21:21:45

Maybe hold a competition for smallest .swf file size as a tribute to those who submitted back then.

Like kilobytes in the double figures.

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 21:52:38

One more year till we get the portal drunk and take dubious blackmail photos of it.

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 21:59:27

i may not come here that much anymore, but i think it's nice to see that Newgrounds is still around.

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 22:02:19

Happy Birthday to The Portal!

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 22:48:09

Still love using the Portal. It's super efficient. Well done, Tommy.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 22:58:09

Yeah! Well, Anyhow The Portal Turns 20! *Claps both hands* Congratulations, Tom! Anyhow, I might make some 20th Anniversary Portal Celebration Art if I have time tomorrow. However, by time I turn 27 this year. Let's just say I'll be close or on Level 60 by then, I'll make a T-shirt by then. Anyhow, I've been here since 2004. Unlike most people I've faced, I still go on to Newgrounds to this day; Just once in a while! So, Expect something awesome tomorrow if I do get on it ;)

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-05 23:42:46

Wow! 20 years? I remember when i used to play old racing games and old stick games back in 2004-2008. Newgrounds has really come a long way. Here's to many more happy years!! Hip hip hooray!!!!!

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 01:05:43

Congrats on the 20 years of Portaling. Its amazing to think that I have been here for most of it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 01:10:34

20 years of everything by everyone <3

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 05:44:52

At 4/5/20 07:48 PM, Seth wrote: Whoa, 20 years? Damn, I was in middle school when you started it.
I think this was the hot song back then

I definitely remember that one. XD Don't think I ever saw the video though...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 05:56:47

Happy birthday portal! You've brought me many great memories.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 06:44:17

Those are great ;)

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 07:31:40

Hmm seems like the "brand spanking new movies" section of the movie portal stopped refreshing. You have to click "more" to see the latest submissions.

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 08:23:04

At 4/6/20 07:31 AM, CzySzy wrote: Hmm seems like the "brand spanking new movies" section of the movie portal stopped refreshing. You have to click "more" to see the latest submissions.

It broke over the weekend but it's fixed now!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 08:24:19

It‘s great to see all this memorable submissions receiving so much love. The 20 year anniversary events are very enjoyable so far.

Thanks to whoever frontpaged my Alice is Dead easter egg by the way!

BBS Signature

Response to Portal Turns 20 & Fan Art Roundup 2020-04-06 08:49:27

Happy 20th anniversary portal

I'll bake a cake.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature