00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of January we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 210 people to reach our January goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in February!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Flash Emulation & Collabinator

5,750 Views | 63 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Flash Emulation Update


The day is approaching when we'll begin using Ruffle to emulate Flash content in the browser here on NG! You can see a demo here with one of my first Flashes from 1998, now playable on iPhones for the first time ever.


The initial roll-out will cover the majority of animated content, followed by AS2 games and, if all continues to go well, ultimately games made with AS3.


Here’s where you come in! Ruffle is an open-source project created by @Mike and while it has made great progress so far, there is much work ahead before Ruffle supports every SWF file. Mike has set up a Ruffle Sponsor page on GitHub, where fans of Flash preservation can support ongoing development efforts. 


With your help, Flash will forever be preserved in an open-source manner and Flash content will continue to work on the web, free of traditional closed-box security exploits and with the potential to get BETTER over time, with faster rendering and support for gamepads and touchscreens. Please consider becoming a Ruffle Sponsor today!


Collabinator Update


If all goes as planned, some time tonight between 2-3am EST the site will go off-line for some quick updates. When it comes back, expect to see a refreshed Collabinator!


In addition to updating the Collabinator front-end, we’ve added a rich text editor, tags and tag search. We’ve also expanded it into three categories: Open for Paid Work, Paid Work Opportunities and Collab with Peers.


Collab with Peers functions much like the existing collabinator and is intended for people who want to team up with other talented individuals to make stuff.


Open for Paid Work is where individuals can offer their talents to those willing to pay. We’re copying the existing “Open for Commissions” posts into this category, while retaining the originals as part of your blog history. We hope this will become a useful hub for anyone looking for creative services.


Paid Work Opportunities is where people with money to spend can put out an open call for applicants. We require Supporter status to post a listing here, both as proof you can make a payment and to minimize affiliate marketing spam (and of course more supporters helps NG to keep going).


The Collabinator now opens with a questionnaire to guide you in the right direction. As the listings get populated we intend to highlight specific lists throughout different parts of the site, to raise overall awareness of available opportunities.


If you create an entry in the Collabinator it will also be pinned to your user page. You can drag this box to sort it how you want, or click the eye button to hide it. Speaking of which, you can now hide any of your pods with the eye button.


iu_75674_1.png


Again: This update is expected to go live early Wednesday morning, so if you’re reading this on Tuesday, none of these changes have happened yet.


Update: The update is now live! Existing Open for Commissions entries were imported but because they didn't include medium (art, audio, etc.) you have to browse the existing entries via the Everything category list. If you have an entry on this list, you'll see an "Edit Listing" link in the top right; click that and you can update with what mediums you cover.


Update 2: We'll be adding content filters and ratings to listings, should have seen that coming!


Update 3: The listings need fixing at the moment, should keep shaping up in the coming days.


Update 4: Friday night update. We decided to ditch the questionnaire. The lists are essentially working now but there will be improved functionality to come. I've been cleaning up and updating "Open for Commissions" entries that were imported but there are A LOT OF THEM. It's impressive how many people used that feature since we added it last year!


We hope you like it! Please pm me if you find any bugs. Aspects of this update may be rough around the edges and we welcome any feedback on ways to make it better.


If you missed it, check out the Best of November!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 17:07:06


At 12/10/19 04:53 PM, TomFulp wrote: Flash Emulation Update

First to comment on this, might i say this works great! Also, wonderful news for the Collabinator, this is going to help a lot of people make some money and expand their careers. Also @mike has saved flash once again! You're a hero, both of you. <3


New Piercing Lazer singles "Trickster's Ambition" and "Homeless" now on BandCamp, Itunes, and other online stores!

BBS Signature

Aw yeah! :D This is awesome. Ruffle seems to be real lightweight too.


Questions: is the focus shifting from the NG Player to this? Will they co-exist a while, until Ruffle supports everything (if all goes well), or forever? Will users maybe have the option to emulate their content or to still have it driven by the official plugin, via that player? This might open for some interesting opportunities...


Requiring supporter status on paid opportunities: genius! :D Can see this opening up for a whole marketplace of creative opportunities, users getting real commercial opportunities, staff getting that necessary financial boost to finally have time for important feature additions like two-pass authentication via email *hint hint*, bigger commercial entities jumping in, of course, knowing what a great base of artists frequents these here Grounds...


Really cool news all over. Can't wait to see what this looks like tomorrow morning.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 17:28:59


At 12/10/19 05:23 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Aw yeah! :D This is awesome. Ruffle seems to be real lightweight too.

Questions: is the focus shifting from the NG Player to this? Will they co-exist a while, until Ruffle supports everything (if all goes well), or forever? Will users maybe have the option to emulate their content or to still have it driven by the official plugin, via that player? This might open for some interesting opportunities...


NG Player will be the fallback for content that isn't supported by Ruffle, although ideally the day will come when Ruffle supports everything. At that point Ruffle would even be a better option for a standalone player app, since it could have expanded features.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

First off, thanks you for having updating the Collaborator page! It was kinda confusing at first as it feel like it was more of that "hire me" then asking to join an collab. Glad that about to be upgraded!


I do have a question: Is there some rules when it come to Collabs? There is basic guideline on Artwork every time you upload an artwork or movie where it shouldn't have poor quality and mainly focus on digital animation, etc. I just don't want Collaborator place to be mess or full of scam.


Also, is there beginner guide on how to start of collab? I try to looks some and can't find a result. I want to start an collabs one day but don't want to screw up badly.

Hope I not bothering you with some question.

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 17:40:32


This is all tremendously exciting news! I cannot wait for full implementation of Ruffle, the interactivity of the SWF format is something I have maligned the absence of ever since the general popularity of HTML5 saw flash movies switching to a standard video format.


BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 18:15:30


Based off of my experience just now with that 1998 flash game being converted into a Ruffle project, I like the Newgrounds Flash player way more. When I play or watch flash content with that, I don't feel like I'm losing anything from the original experience. Where as with that conversion, it looks like it converted the vectors into images. I go to increase the screen size and it looks pixelated. It's missing normal right click options I'm used to having with Flash, such as zoom in. I really hope the Newgrounds Flash player stays the default in the longrun over Ruffle unless Ruffle accurately replicates the flash experience.


Formerly known on this website as W.A.C. / W-A-C.

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 18:19:16


This is amazing news! It's weird seeing a flash that was made not even a year after I was born. Anyways, This is excelent progress fellas! My question is that will the Newgrounds player be developed still to run on other websites still?


BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 19:36:07


YES!

Thank you so much for the Collabinator update <3

I always go there to see it there is any work that matches my skills!


BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 21:50:03


Wow, awesome work @Mike! I didn't expect to see real interactivity so soon. Can't wait to see if some of my older games will work in Ruffle!

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 21:51:05


OMG this is so amazing. Thank you for this project, Tom! :O


There wasn't other similar project since EFF dropped development on one of their FF extension on Flash emulation. I'm so glad y'all work on these stuff. I'll make sure to back it! :)

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-10 22:02:24


The open for paid work tab as been a suggestion of mine for almost 3 years, nice to see it's going into play!


Re: For the Flash Emulation Update:

Well that is great that there is another program created on it’s way to open the files that were once created and produced in flash and submitted to NG since it’s debut. Loving this program and the idea from Mike and anyone contributing to it.

 

Re: Collabinator Update:

Well I’m loving the new update for the collabinator, perhaps it could play more of a role, finishing, starting, or creating the product mid-way. Nice that now that it can be pinned to the userpage. Bringing more awareness is always a good thing.

 

Questions:

1. Is there a way that I could create a one time payment to the official page of this program? Well what if, I wouldn’t be interested in just becoming a monthly member, due to some money issues, or have any other related issue?

 

2.  Will Ruffle be supported in other web browsers? Only one browser since it’s official debut? Will be able to work on both Windows and Apple computers?

 

3. Will Ruffle let you on right-click onto the file that you could zoom in or change the quality for an example? (From WillieCorley, on the same thread, with the same question about this)


4. When in use, would collabinator be automatically updated or it has to be manually updated in someone's userpage?


SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 00:52:07


>Ruffle


I'd love to play flash games on my phone wow thanks,

This is so cool.

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 01:12:21


So excited for this update! Thanks for all the hard work you and the team have put in, Tom!

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 06:24:01


At 12/10/19 05:28 PM, TomFulp wrote: NG Player will be the fallback for content that isn't supported by Ruffle, although ideally the day will come when Ruffle supports everything. At that point Ruffle would even be a better option for a standalone player app, since it could have expanded features.


Expanded features sounds pretty enticing! :D Nice.


If it's not extra work still having the 'official' player around though I imagine it'd be a useful for alternative for people who prefer the vanilla version. Flash as it used to be, with all that entails, without modifications required as to make emulation possible. Maybe it's just a temporary start up thing but it seems like there may be some differences with how some things are handled in Ruffle - vectors, zoom, etc... maybe some of these differences are really to our benefit in regard to loading times/security/etc, but they'll definitely change the experience as well. All the more a selling point if you have the option to choose between the two that way.


Excited to see how Ruffle evolves though; what it's like to try everything via that, just hope original .swf files don't also disappear in the process.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

At 12/10/19 05:30 PM, AKA-38CAUTION wrote: Also, is there beginner guide on how to start of collab? I try to looks some and can't find a result. I want to start an collabs one day but don't want to screw up badly.
Hope I not bothering you with some question.


Some links to collab guidelines and guides could definitely be handy here! We do have this one for the collab forum: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/forums/forum-rules/collab-forum-rules


...maybe something similar for the Collabinator?


I also feel like it'd be good with a faster way to access the list directly, if you're just looking to see what's there. The guide gets in the way a bit - especially when it opens up anew every time you visit the page.


Thoughts on making it a first time thing/optional? Maybe then saving the user preference on which list to browse (animators, musicians etc) according to the last one they were on? Would make it much easier to get back to again and again IMO. Look for new people in a specific category. Just see what's new.


Overall this looks great btw. Noticed that the formatting didn't carry over from the newspost to the collabinator post (everything shows as HTML), but that's a minor thing. Easy to edit.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 07:28:51


At 12/11/19 06:24 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: If it's not extra work still having the 'official' player around though I imagine it'd be a useful for alternative for people who prefer the vanilla version. Flash as it used to be, with all that entails, without modifications required as to make emulation possible. Maybe it's just a temporary start up thing but it seems like there may be some differences with how some things are handled in Ruffle - vectors, zoom, etc... maybe some of these differences are really to our benefit in regard to loading times/security/etc, but they'll definitely change the experience as well. All the more a selling point if you have the option to choose between the two that way.


We'd likely keep an NG Player toggle under your account options, it will be a ways out before Ruffle fully supports everything and by then we'll see if there is still if anyone still has a preference for NG Player.


Excited to see how Ruffle evolves though; what it's like to try everything via that, just hope original .swf files don't also disappear in the process.


We'll never be deleting the swf files - Ruffle still uses the SWF file at runtime.



Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 08:11:06


At 12/11/19 06:26 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/10/19 05:30 PM, AKA-38CAUTION wrote: Also, is there beginner guide on how to start of collab? I try to looks some and can't find a result. I want to start an collabs one day but don't want to screw up badly.
Hope I not bothering you with some question.
Some links to collab guidelines and guides could definitely be handy here! We do have this one for the collab forum: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/forums/forum-rules/collab-forum-rules


Thanks you! This does come in handy.


Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 08:18:24


There's a bug in the text for the Collabinator; it's not registering new changes to the listing at all and clearing the cache does not work. I am on Chrome.


Otherwise: great idea!

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 08:26:36


At 12/11/19 07:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: We'd likely keep an NG Player toggle under your account options, it will be a ways out before Ruffle fully supports everything and by then we'll see if there is still if anyone still has a preference for NG Player.

We'll never be deleting the swf files - Ruffle still uses the SWF file at runtime.


Awesome. :)


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 10:49:25


Note: Newgrounds Collabinator Page Is Now Updated To Mobile Friendly!


gooad!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 14:22:57


At 12/11/19 08:18 AM, Troisnyx wrote: There's a bug in the text for the Collabinator; it's not registering new changes to the listing at all and clearing the cache does not work. I am on Chrome.

Otherwise: great idea!


Ya that's a similar thing happening to me as well.


When I press the eye toggle, it will not register the changes sometimes. After multiple times it started to register the eye toggle. Except 1, the favorited audio list will not register? iu_77417_5146582.jpg

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 14:34:49


At 12/11/19 02:22 PM, Crashgen wrote:
At 12/11/19 08:18 AM, Troisnyx wrote: There's a bug in the text for the Collabinator; it's not registering new changes to the listing at all and clearing the cache does not work. I am on Chrome.

Otherwise: great idea!
Ya that's a similar thing happening to me as well.


This might be a caching update with the Elasticsearch, where changes aren't showing up instantly - there's a number of quirks being looked into though.


When I press the eye toggle, it will not register the changes sometimes. After multiple times it started to register the eye toggle. Except 1, the favorited audio list will not register?


What browser are you using? Are you able to Right Click, click an Inspect option and view the Console tab for any errors?


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 18:53:14


Speaking of emulation to increase accessibility: Remember the user-driven Ad-Blocker campaign? When is our community Don't Use Google campaign?


If google's blacklisting fucks our web-visibility on newgrounds... why not convince people to change?


Google is stifling creators, lets stifle them. Make a rift, see what fills it. Theres not much to lose at this point with how they've quarantined newgrounds.

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 20:13:09


Well besides the new updates, I just wanted to type thank you Tom and the other admins for the hard work so far. Anyway I tried the 'toggle visibility' and it seems that you can only hide categories on your userpage so far, in which I'm liking so far. Now if only you had the option to 'hide' any category on the userpage completely (for example newsposts, personal favourites..). Probably maybe that might not work for now. Well it now gives me more of a reason to support Newgrounds in 2020 and 2021 (regardless of I do on here).


SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of)

BBS Signature

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 22:04:02


At 12/11/19 06:53 PM, Tyler wrote: Speaking of emulation to increase accessibility: Remember the user-driven Ad-Blocker campaign? When is our community Don't Use Google campaign?

If google's blacklisting fucks our web-visibility on newgrounds... why not convince people to change?

Google is stifling creators, lets stifle them. Make a rift, see what fills it. Theres not much to lose at this point with how they've quarantined newgrounds.


Well, you can't force people on what browser or search engine they using right now. While I agree that Google is New generation of Big Brother, everytime you try to convince people not to use Google, they think it stupid idea no matter how hard you try.


In the end, if it a search engine that search stuff, it a search engine that search stuff and that what people care about.

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 22:44:19


When I press the eye toggle, it will not register the changes sometimes. After multiple times it started to register the eye toggle. Except 1, the favorited audio list will not register?
What browser are you using? Are you able to Right Click, click an Inspect option and view the Console tab for any errors?


Im using chrome, I inspected it and no errors it looks like?. the issue, still is happening,


taking a wild guess but. looks like if there is only one widget left to toggle on the eye icon. it will register but maybe a glitch, that makes it think it did the job. but will still visually show it because, it did not account the last widget to toggle the eye icon when there is one left.


iu_77522_5146582.png


iu_77523_5146582.jpg

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-11 23:33:03


At 12/11/19 10:04 PM, AKA-38CAUTION wrote:
At 12/11/19 06:53 PM, Tyler wrote: Speaking of emulation to increase accessibility: Remember the user-driven Ad-Blocker campaign? When is our community Don't Use Google campaign?

If google's blacklisting fucks our web-visibility on newgrounds... why not convince people to change?

Google is stifling creators, lets stifle them. Make a rift, see what fills it. Theres not much to lose at this point with how they've quarantined newgrounds.
Well, you can't force people on what browser or search engine they using right now. While I agree that Google is New generation of Big Brother, everytime you try to convince people not to use Google, they think it stupid idea no matter how hard you try.

In the end, if it a search engine that search stuff, it a search engine that search stuff and that what people care about.


Obviously you cant force them. But you can influence them.

Response to Flash Emulation & Collabinator 2019-12-12 01:37:06


Ruffle looks and sounds great. It should be really helpful. We have to keep things running very smoothly around here.



I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature