00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoeBidenLikesToes just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Art Workshop

51,600 Views | 471 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-06-30 06:09:05

if you could give some advice on this and many other artwork works in my gallery that be very much aprriciated thank you

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-06-30 06:13:39

At 6/18/15 03:21 AM, LuisEC wrote: more poses yay

love the style very nice drawing keep it up

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-06-30 09:17:44

Look guis, I'm practicing traditional painting! c:
Used poster paints and diluted it with water till I get a watercolor-ish is paint.

The Art Workshop

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-06-30 12:54:02

At 6/26/15 10:34 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Stuff

So the task is to build an armature? I've done a bunch of wire armatures as a base for paper mache or whatever. You should be able to put in facial features if you have enough wires, you just have to bend them right. Umm, as far as examples go, here's an old dusty stylized human torso and legs I never finished putting paper mache on. I used the glue goop to connect the wires rather than twining them. It's been a bit crushed but you can probably sort of see the undulations available as an option with wire.

I don't know what else to advise. I recommend having a pair of round nose pliers and a pair of flat nose pliers to manipulate things with, plus wire cutters of course.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-06-30 13:08:37

Oh yeah photo

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-06-30 15:15:02

Day 2 of feet

The Art Workshop

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-01 05:40:25 (edited 2015-07-01 05:42:23)

At 6/30/15 08:03 PM, johnny2pop wrote: Tried to work a bit on anatomy and proportions after work today.

Hmm..
You should study up on anatomy. You can use Loomis' and Bridgman's books about the figure and you can find it some pdf both legal and free with a quick Google search for it.
And also use reference. Posemaniacs is kinda okay for it, but I would rather you use quickposes or pixelovely.

Happy learning. c:

At 6/30/15 01:08 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Oh yeah photo

A little late for that now since the deadline is tomorrow, but still a good idea on any following projects. Thanks LTD.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-01 12:36:57

At 7/1/15 05:40 AM, 123mine123 wrote: A little late for that now

Oops.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-02 02:17:03

At 6/30/15 03:15 PM, Daker777NG wrote: Day 2 of feet

those studies are really quite exceptional, helped me figure out a few things I was missing :D

amatony and doodles. 1 from reference for every 1 from memory. Struggled a lot.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-02 22:58:28

At 7/2/15 02:17 AM, LuisEC wrote:
At 6/30/15 03:15 PM, Daker777NG wrote: Day 2 of feet
those studies are really quite exceptional, helped me figure out a few things I was missing :D

amatony and doodles. 1 from reference for every 1 from memory. Struggled a lot.

Really? haha glad my studies helped you out, pretty amazing considering how good you draw already o_o

Day 3 of feet, skipped a day and today didn't do much, I'm too lazy :(
Most of these are from imagination, I can see the front perspective looks better in this one compared to the 1st bunch of feet I posted, which is neat I guess.

The Art Workshop

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-04 23:21:20

Hello, I really like the painting style of this piece and I want to figure out how to capture this and improve my sense of color and light.

areas like her left leg and that overall cool hue on her back and the strongest highlights on her hip feel less saturated, but i got feedback that i'm low on the saturation side of the things. Looking at it again now, the hip highlights nad the arm feel more toward yellow or green rather htan the pinkish hue I have going on.

Getting her likeness is really difficult. and the proper edges are particularly hard. How should I approach creases of the glutes? I feel like drawing a line isn't the right way to go about it..and rather define that by starting with that value and working out from there, incrasing in value. I have the most trouble with those areas painting manually especially. I guess I can go in with the lasso and make a real hard edge that way, but yeah..lots of tricky things going on.

I feel a bit weird as I approached this in ways I wouldn't approach actually painting, where I generally still start with flatted shapes and hten try to paint in some ambient shadows and lighting. Here I've sorta gotten to trying to identify all the right hues and values and blobbing in the shapes I see.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-05 10:06:30

At 7/4/15 11:21 PM, LuisEC wrote: Hello, I really like the painting style of this piece and I want to figure out how to capture this and improve my sense of color and light.

areas like her left leg and that overall cool hue on her back and the strongest highlights on her hip feel less saturated, but i got feedback that i'm low on the saturation side of the things. Looking at it again now, the hip highlights nad the arm feel more toward yellow or green rather htan the pinkish hue I have going on.

Getting her likeness is really difficult. and the proper edges are particularly hard. How should I approach creases of the glutes? I feel like drawing a line isn't the right way to go about it..and rather define that by starting with that value and working out from there, incrasing in value. I have the most trouble with those areas painting manually especially. I guess I can go in with the lasso and make a real hard edge that way, but yeah..lots of tricky things going on.

I feel a bit weird as I approached this in ways I wouldn't approach actually painting, where I generally still start with flatted shapes and hten try to paint in some ambient shadows and lighting. Here I've sorta gotten to trying to identify all the right hues and values and blobbing in the shapes I see.

I think heard once that darker shadows goes toward warmth while light goes toward cool. So the darker creases like the armpit and buttock would push toward red (or a mix warm dark red). The main light source my not be all that cool but the reflective light cause by the clouds makes it greyish cool (like how green is grey compare to saturated red).

To understand your weaknesses on certain hues, try this hue test.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-05 10:43:39

At 7/5/15 10:06 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: To understand your weaknesses on certain hues, try this hue test.

That was fun! xD
It says I have a score of 0.. so I guess I can determine hue stuff. .-.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-05 16:23:17

At 7/5/15 10:06 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: I think heard once that darker shadows goes toward warmth while light goes toward cool.

It's the other way 'round, unless you're being a pioneer.

Egoraptor's stuff does it excessively to maintain bold colour palettes.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-05 17:46:15

At 7/5/15 04:23 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 7/5/15 10:06 AM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: I think heard once that darker shadows goes toward warmth while light goes toward cool.
It's the other way 'round, unless you're being a pioneer.

Doesn't it depend on the colour of the light? Because sunlight is somewhat yellow/orange shadows appear the complimentary colour, purple/blue? A green light would have a shadow that appears slightly red? That's how I understood it to work.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-05 18:51:45

At 7/5/15 05:46 PM, Sockembop wrote: Doesn't it depend on the colour of the light? Because sunlight is somewhat yellow/orange shadows appear the complimentary colour, purple/blue? A green light would have a shadow that appears slightly red? That's how I understood it to work.

I haven't heard of that. I've had to find the magazine article that explains the stuff on colour temperature, and the reasoning is based on thinking about light as energy. A warming-up light bulb starts off red, goes to yellow, then gets to a brilliant white.

Cooler hues are also darker than warmer hues, so altering the hue slightly avoids adding more white / black and maintains the base colour's saturation.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-05 20:55:20

Doesn't it depend on the colour of the light? Because sunlight is somewhat yellow/orange shadows appear the complimentary colour, purple/blue? A green light would have a shadow that appears slightly red? That's how I understood it to work.

It can, yes. In this article James Gurney writes about what the introduction of a colored light source does to the light and shadow sides of an object. To badly paraphrase: a colored light source reduces your eyes' ability to see the projected color in the light or shadow side, depending on if it comes from a primary light source or bounced light. If the primary light adds color the light side will be vibrant, while the shadow side of the object will look like a muted compliment of the light side's color. Bounced light will make the shadow side more vibrant and make the light side a muted compliment.

When you add multiple sources of colored light things get interesting.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-06 19:58:01

face attempts

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-08 07:16:23

Trying my best to become a better artist so I recently started studying again, here are some gesture drawing from my session today. I really need to get better at light so I focused most of my studies on that. Though I also tried to work in some actual gesturing and tried to keep line of action in mind and proper stuff. Anyways, yeah. That.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-08 07:55:06

Practicing getting down my graphite shading.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-08 20:46:55

since its a female face try to make everything a bit smoother and softer and try to make a more gradient effect nice proportians by the way

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-14 01:44:01

head studies. chins taper too much and craniums to obig is feedback i got. Also discovered metal gear brush.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-14 01:44:33 (edited 2015-07-14 01:47:16)

oops double post. guess ill put anotehr study.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-18 01:34:21

trying animals and some quick figures.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-18 09:11:18 (edited 2015-07-18 09:13:19)

Excellent studies everyone.

Doin some concepts.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-18 18:18:05

At 7/18/15 01:34 AM, LuisEC wrote: trying animals and some quick figures.

I really dig the outline weighting by line strength. Aiming to get there.

Been doing life drawings for over a year now. Here's something from the first sessions. :)

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-24 21:44:59

dog

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-25 01:17:13

self study

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-25 15:24:27 (edited 2015-07-25 15:25:19)

Today's studies

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-07-25 15:26:26

today's studies 2

The Art Workshop