00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

harkhan71 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Art Workshop

51,592 Views | 471 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 10:57:35

At 4/16/15 09:06 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: traditional studies

Very nice.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 15:56:01

At 4/17/15 12:37 AM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: more practice

Damn!! This is some really nice character design mate, and love the colors on the girl, do you have more stuff like this? Really enjoying this. As for the last piece you posted, I gotta say the new one is a vast improvement over the last one. As for colors, I personally would add some oranges to break up the yellow a bit without it being too dramatic other than that, I dig the yellow and blue loving you got going on.

Maybe try a version of the title text in green it might look nice against that blue backdrop.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 16:37:51

At 4/19/15 06:13 AM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote: you've probably noticed I suck hardcore at color picking my palettes. Now my current project I am working on is a comic with the following covers, one with the previous art and title the other with the new. I would really like some feedback on my color choices and how well they work.

In my experience, starting simple and gradually building up from there is key, as with many aspects of drawing I suppose.

I think it would be cool to emphasize the yellow hair, and choosing colours to compliment the yellow. Maybe try some models like complimentary, split complimentary, triadic, analogous - maybe try using a gamut mask? Look for inspiration in photos, designs, illustrations, palette sites. After internalizing some of these concepts I imagine it should be easier to wing it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 17:23:02

Some practice, concept and character dev.

Aliens and exoskeletons, probably the most overused ideas around ... eh whatever

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 17:25:17

@LurkinMcClerkin Looking nice on them thighs on your sketchbook. As for the comic book cover thing, @Havegum is right about trying out those color theory experiments to so what color works. I currently wonder if it's necessary to have that green glow surrounding her hair and the meaning behind the blue background. I imagine the blue background as a water container of some sort and the green glow as radiation. If that was the case I would give water bubble effects and add reflective green lights in the shadows of her hair.

@123mine123 I have to guess those first 2 at the top was the 2min one :P but I'm impressed with how well the form looks in your 3-4min gestures.

@TheMightyCelt Imagining the people as sphere, cubes, and cylinder can help make it look more 3d.

@LuisEC Your stuff been looking awesome, in your drapery study I think you should work on the direction of the weight of the cloth goes and the movement involve in it.

@Havegum I really like the way how you draw asian folks :3

@amaralzex Try out working in black and white, and study lighting. At Refracio e fundo, the lighting on that could work out fine there but the added yellow explosion made no sense to the lighting afterward.

here are skulls I drew last week (I kinda forgot to upload them last weekend).

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 17:29:08

And here are skulls I did this week, I'll probably move on from the skulls and start working on giving them flesh. Plus Is there any references that show the planes of the face in all angles?

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 19:48:16

Current character creation tests.. i will color some for test new things

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 20:25:20

At 4/19/15 05:25 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: @LurkinMcClerkin Looking nice on them thighs on your sketchbook. As for the comic book cover thing, @Havegum is right about trying out those color theory experiments to so what color works. I currently wonder if it's necessary to have that green glow surrounding her hair and the meaning behind the blue background. I imagine the blue background as a water container of some sort and the green glow as radiation. If that was the case I would give water bubble effects and add reflective green lights in the shadows of her hair.

Thanks for the reply. So, the colors that are required are the yellow and green. They are the two prominent colors and the yellow cannot pick up any ambient colors, this isn't me being stubborn it's just story elements that pertain to the comic. The blue background has no meaning I just went with a less saturated gradient blue in order to make the yellow stand out. The title was made purple when it was across the middle of the screen in order to pop out more when it was on the yellow of the hair. So the only things color-wise I cannot change are the green and the hair. I will try to add some oranges as @Mabelma suggested and see if I can work with that.

I'll take @havegum 's advice and experiment some more.

Thanks for all the replies.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-19 23:13:51

a few of this weekend's studies/sketches.

I busted my hand apparently sooooooo probably gonna take a break tomorrow.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-20 02:39:42 (edited 2015-04-20 02:39:56)

Since I have more time now, time to actually comment stuff.

-----

@LuisEC - Damn, these studies are amazing! I'm so jelly.

@Havegum - I kinda like your jagged and messy lines in your gestures. It makes it look it has energy and more interesting. But I guess that's just me. xD
As for teh aliens, I have never seen weird looking baby faced blue aliens before.. it's kinda scary looking the one that really looks like a baby. xD

@LurkinMcClerkin - Really solid anatomy.

@TheMightyCelt - I'm not sure what I'm doing is gestures anymore. I think this is figure drawing now. But, I still do start everything with a gesture.

@ZaneZansorrow - SO MANY SKULLS! :0 And as for the comment about my gestures.. thanks but I actually have no idea what I'm doing. xD

@amaralzex - Hmm, are you character designing?

-----

More figure drawing.. I think.

The Art Workshop

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-20 21:15:02

At 4/20/15 02:39 AM, 123mine123 wrote: More figure drawing.. I think.

Looking very lively! Don't be afraid to work larger and spend longer!

--

Some stuff today

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-21 23:12:40

Wow everyone is so good

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-22 04:10:19

At 4/21/15 11:12 PM, Artavinci wrote: Wow everyone is so good

Not everyone..

------

Decided to start doing still life. I suck at this.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-22 07:01:39

Why are arms so HARD!? D:

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-22 12:44:12 (edited 2015-04-22 12:53:41)

At 4/22/15 07:01 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Why are arms so HARD!? D:

Knowing which muscles are there is good but not knowing how they attach to the bones in the arm is more important imho.

Firstly know that the arm is made up of 3 parts. The Ball Socket(Scapula "1 Bone + 3 muscles") The Tube (Humerus "1 Bone + 2 main muscles" ) and the Forearm (Radius and Ulna "2 bones + 2 Muscles").

Just some quick facts on this I don't wanna bore you with the sheer amount of specifics I will post more here for everyone.

-Both the Humerus and Radius are curved in alternating directions. That's why drawing humans with straight arms looks unnatural.
- The muscles on the top part (scapula/ball socket) originate from 2 points. The center of the muscle curve (right above the armpit) and the very top of the humerus. Both lead to the chest and back respectively. This makes up the bulk of the deltoid.
-The two bones in your forearm do not do the same thing. The Radius sits on the outside of your arm and the end of which you recognize as your elbow. It is used to stabilize your arm. The Ulna sits in the innermost of your arm and pivots your arm around your radius. it is the bone which ends closest to your thumb. When drawing people you can see the dip between both bones on the inside of your forearm.
-The muscle on the radius is fatter and stops about midway up your forearm. The Muscle on the Ulna is attached to the dip between your thumb and your index finger. The rest of the muscles in your forearm are tendons connecting your fingers with your elbow.
-There are 2 main muscles on the humerus the biceps and triceps. They are tube-like muscles. The biceps sit on top the triceps sit on the bottom.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-22 12:49:07

At 4/22/15 07:01 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Why are arms so HARD!?

Traditional studies from a year ago.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-22 13:10:02

At 4/22/15 07:01 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Why are arms so HARD!? D:

Apparently I lost my muscle studies. I feel silly now. Hopefully what I posted so far is helpful.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-22 14:42:56

At 4/22/15 02:39 PM, JojoDodo wrote:
I'm pretty sure it is the other way around, mate.

something was telling me I may have gotten those two backwards I apologize and thanks for the catch.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-22 19:41:31

At 4/22/15 02:42 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote:
At 4/22/15 02:39 PM, JojoDodo wrote:
I'm pretty sure it is the other way around, mate.
something was telling me I may have gotten those two backwards I apologize and thanks for the catch.

The radius is named thus because it acts as a ray and rotates around the ulna- that's how I remember which is which.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-23 00:48:51

@LurkinMcClerkin - Thanks! Definitely something I should also try out.

@JojoDodo - I was like, I swear Jojo gave me advice nad I spent trying to find what you said. Turns out it was in your art thread. xD
Anyway, gimme a week. Too early to give up. >:3

----

Gestures

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-24 04:29:36

At 4/23/15 02:05 PM, JojoDodo wrote: Sorry if that was confusing, mate...I was trying to kill two shot with one bird ^^. Anyway, once you feel more confortable with your knowledge about anatomy, using references gets much easier since you understand what's going on.

UGH! *raises hands in teh air*
Why is this so complicated to me? T^T
I spent a lot of time actually just studying and observing these muscles, but why are there so many crumpled together. Why is it so confusing to me...
Maybe I'm just getting frustrated..
Can anyone suggest any book or resource that breaks down the muscles or something that really helped you understand it?

Oh btw, noice arms Jojo. You're making me super jelly. x3

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-24 04:34:57

At 4/24/15 04:29 AM, 123mine123 wrote:
Can anyone suggest any book or resource that breaks down the muscles or something that really helped you understand it?

Try what I used: Structure of Man

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-24 08:34:53

At 4/24/15 04:29 AM, 123mine123 wrote: Maybe I'm just getting frustrated..

I remember Sarah Simblett's Anatomy for the Artist being quite good.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-24 14:28:32 (edited 2015-04-24 14:32:21)

@LurkinMcClerkin and @lovingthedark - Thanks! I'll check them out whenever I can.
@JojoDodo - Yeh, ikr. Still helped me a lot on most cases. Except.. the arms..

-----

Moar still life.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-25 11:32:22 (edited 2015-04-25 11:33:04)

environment thumbnail attempts :/

Also Im planning on making a small forearm anatomical drawup thing to hopefully simplify it. There are 3 long muscles and 1 short muscle on the front and back and the ulna is the divider between them. That's how i learned to simplify it and group them. They have a bit of a relationship but those are the ones that matter most.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-26 16:54:25

At 4/24/15 02:28 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Moar still life.

Really solid - seriously good! Keep at it, and keep a sharp eye out for the darker values - the cast shadow of the clock, books, and radio (?).
Definitely get a sense of the objects laying on the surface though! Maybe try doing some studies from real life stuff? Arrange some fairly geometrical objects on your desk and try to replicate that on the screen!

At 4/25/15 11:32 AM, LuisEC wrote: environment thumbnail attempts :/

Those are some beautiful colours - some look more washed out than others, I'm guessing those with more pronounced values took a bit longer? In all of the top two rows, there are large constructions in a corner, partially going off screen. It sort of feels to me like they're "running away" from the canvas - placing primary subjects in the edges of a canvas can definitely work in compositions, but it has to be balanced out compared to the rest of the composition.

--

Did anyone say leg day

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-27 07:20:42

@Havegum - My.. setup is weird. I can't do that sadly. Random still life pictures is probably better for now. xD

@LurkinMcClerkin - ...that link is amazing.. Internet is being weird today sadly. I can't watch it right now as I wasn't able to youtubez properly at all today.

-----

I think I'm having an idea now. Still confused though. xD
Used Bridgman's constructive anatomy and tried a few stuff.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-27 12:02:53 (edited 2015-04-27 12:05:32)

moar still life.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-27 15:28:34

Just want to say thanks to everyone on this thread.
All of the studies and exercises as well as critique have really helped me so much.
I know you guys are all students here constantly improving and it really motivated me.
Ive always wanted to do pinups for people friends and my last 2 pieces really make me feel good.
So heres a pic I know its not everyone's cup of tea but just to say thanks I got my first commission.
Here she is 7 hours work.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-27 18:40:18

At 4/27/15 03:28 PM, TheMightyCelt wrote:
So heres a pic I know its not everyone's cup of tea but just to say thanks I got my first commission.
Here she is 7 hours work.

Why do you keep posting stolen work? At lest credit the original artist.