00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoeBidenLikesToes just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Art Workshop

51,601 Views | 471 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-28 01:26:23

At 3/26/15 02:58 AM, 123mine123 wrote::

Whoa. That's a huge paper. Is it on the floor?

Nah, it's half a paper bag. I think it's the angle making it look big, and maybe the super fine tipped pen I was using. It's on a table.

At 3/27/15 07:36 PM, Kalicia wrote: Stuff!

Welcome! Glad to see you join us, these are lovely studies. I think the somewhat soft edges are more successful, but I think you'll have an easier time deciding for yourself when they're attached to a figure. Don't forget to practice a variety of hair! Curly, frizzy, wavy etc. I saw a neat hair tutorial here the other day.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-28 08:43:43

At 3/27/15 07:36 PM, Kalicia wrote: Stuff!
Welcome! Glad to see you join us, these are lovely studies. I think the somewhat soft edges are more successful, but I think you'll have an easier time deciding for yourself when they're attached to a figure. Don't forget to practice a variety of hair! Curly, frizzy, wavy etc. I saw a neat hair tutorial here the other day.

Thank you :) glad I was heading in somewhat the right direction - I definitely think the idea to "clean up the edges" with a hard edged eraser was a terribad idea :P I am going to stick with the soft edged approach.

Oooooooh this tutorial is brilliant!!! I think I may just do a base head today and just throw all of the different hair varieties on it :D The detail on the curly hair in this is awesome! Thank you so much for linking it!

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-28 08:46:56

At 3/25/15 06:41 AM, Hallu wrote: Just some foreshortening and arm sketches

These are really good, Inspired me to practice foreshortening more as... I fails at it! You can really tell the depth from these which is something I just can't seem to pull off.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 08:56:26 (edited 2015-03-30 08:56:52)

At 3/26/15 02:58 AM, 123mine123 wrote: I've really stop... critiquing art cuz I suck compares to you guys. So Imma just compliment you.

Two things:

I think it is ok to simply compliment people if you haven't any critique, as I find the thread is great at being supportive for work that doesn't provide immediate rewards, and that people generally have a rough idea about what they intend to do. I've found that while I've a rough idea about what I should be doing, other people's comments has helped me to shape a process that is more suitable for me. Any time that you are able to provide some thoughts is helpful to others!

My other comment is that you're not alone. I believe my studies suck, too, which is why I'm a part of this thread and continually redoing the same thing over and over. It's ok to feel negative about your studies, since they're not meant for showcasing but for helping you to develop. Hopefully by being negative you can be more self-critical of your work and focus on certain areas in the future.

(p.s. I have no other comments on Hallu, Lurkin and LTD's stuff, other than it is looking good!)

At 3/27/15 07:36 PM, Kalicia wrote: I decided to do some hair studies and to play around with the hue and saturation, to see if I could get the different shades using what I think is a pretty high contrast hair colour of red. But I'm not sure if it's worked when making the darker hair shades and I can't seem to figure out what exactly looks off... not sure if I've just been looking at it for too long or what! I also seem to struggle with the edges I think I like the softer edges in the strand bit better I feel it looks more natural but meeeeh.

Welcome! Other than what LTD said about putting it with a head, I feel that soft brushes aren't entirely suitable for drawing hair. I favour harder brushes to provide some contrast between the strands and building up the hair in layers - starting with a dark shadowy mass to provide the shape and working towards brighter, more well-lit hair.

Here's a tutorial that kind of gives a jist of what I mean.
And here's a vid tutorial by Marta Dahlig. Other than being incredibly impressive, it gives an idea that a lot of the work is just building up a shape with flowing brushstrokes, while later on it's only a refinement of shades and highlights.

=============

Some practise for the thread. Only comment I'll make is that I'll prob start with skulls first, since I find it's helpful for structuring people's faces when I think about eye-socket/nose hole locations.

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 10:43:18

At 3/30/15 08:56 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Welcome! Other than what LTD said about putting it with a head, I feel that soft brushes aren't entirely suitable for drawing hair. I favour harder brushes to provide some contrast between the strands and building up the hair in layers - starting with a dark shadowy mass to provide the shape and working towards brighter, more well-lit hair.

Here's a tutorial that kind of gives a jist of what I mean.
And here's a vid tutorial by Marta Dahlig. Other than being incredibly impressive, it gives an idea that a lot of the work is just building up a shape with flowing brushstrokes, while later on it's only a refinement of shades and highlights.

@TurkeyOnAStick - Thanks :) tis nice to be here! I was thinking the same thing after looking back at them, the soft brush only technique is fine for flowy styles but for curly or afro styles it really doesn't give the right look. I dont think I put enough contrast in it either, I have the same problem with skin I never get darks that are dark enough. I seem to blend them out into the lighter values then look back at the end with an expression similar to this -> '-.-

I will definitely check out the Marta Dahlig video her work is amazing <3

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 15:32:05 (edited 2015-03-30 15:32:55)

Someone told me i can come here for help or advice i guess. So i'll try.

I'm working on this drawing right now and i do really like it but part of me is getting this vibe that maybe the pose is a little too forced. She's capable of flying and defying gravity so i want that to be kept in mind. any help (especially like trace overs with alterations to help me visually see a better way of doing it) would be appreciated.

im already planning on altering the right hand since it seems too stiff (if was fine originally but i kept shifting the right leg around so now it looks off.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 16:03:31 (edited 2015-03-30 16:05:31)

At 3/30/15 03:32 PM, VooDooDollMaster wrote: Someone told me i can come here for help or advice i guess. So i'll try.

I'm working on this drawing right now and i do really like it but part of me is getting this vibe that maybe the pose is a little too forced. She's capable of flying and defying gravity so i want that to be kept in mind. any help (especially like trace overs with alterations to help me visually see a better way of doing it) would be appreciated.

I would say just try out the pose you currently have her in. Mostly it looks great. It looks like she is leaning against something and resting her foot on something else. she wouldn't look so stiff if you brought her left leg out a bit more and her left arm as well to rest on whatever she has her back against.

As for what you said about her powers all I can say is only worry about that when she is in the process of flying or moving because at the moment you should worry about her surroundings affecting her pose. If you are doing a drawing to only focus on character design just have her standing and draw her. otherwise focus on everything first.

I would do a trace over but I don't have the time if you are still needing help I can do one later when I get back home.

Hoping this helps a little bit.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 16:07:23 (edited 2015-03-30 16:07:48)

I don't plan on drawing any sort of BG or visualize if she's leaning on something because this is a ref sheet so the BG is going to be mostly white. i didnt intend for her to be leaning on anything per say since i drew her just posing blankly in air. BUT if she appears that way and it at least looks decent then thats good enough for me. i appreciate the advice and welcome more from anyone else

At 3/30/15 04:03 PM, LurkinMcClerkin wrote:
At 3/30/15 03:32 PM, VooDooDollMaster wrote: Someone told me i can come here for help or advice i guess. So i'll try.

I would say just try out the pose you currently have her in. Mostly it looks great. It looks like she is leaning against something and resting her foot on something else. she wouldn't look so stiff if you brought her left leg out a bit more and her left arm as well to rest on whatever she has her back against.

As for what you said about her powers all I can say is only worry about that when she is in the process of flying or moving because at the moment you should worry about her surroundings affecting her pose. If you are doing a drawing to only focus on character design just have her standing and draw her. otherwise focus on everything first.

I would do a trace over but I don't have the time if you are still needing help I can do one later when I get back home.

Hoping this helps a little bit.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 16:09:19

i had a play around with the picture, you might want to work on the overall pose, at the moment it is un-naturally off balance, try sticking her tummy out just a faction instead of going straight down as well, her right arm needs some adjusting and her legs are the main issue i think, (also neck is long but that's a "style" i assume)

Here are some 5 min sketches of faces, i need to do some studies next i feel.

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 16:32:50

I tried making 2 more alts. i dunno if either of these can work better?

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 17:48:46 (edited 2015-03-30 17:48:56)

At 3/30/15 03:32 PM, VooDooDollMaster wrote: I'm working on this drawing right now and i do really like it but part of me is getting this vibe that maybe the pose is a little too forced.

In my experience, practicing gesture drawings and using the gesture aproach to drawing has helped me make more expressive poses. Otherwise some helpful control questions could be "What story is this pose trying to tell?" "Where is the balance/weight?" "Where is the line of action, is there a movement in this pose?"

I try to think of the gesture as an abstract visual movement, with little relation to the physical body. A few quick exploratory sketches might be enough to determine what story you want to convey, and building the body up on top of those sketches might help you keep some of the fluidity sketches can sometimes have!

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 19:29:37

Hey everyone :D - some eye practice! I did most of it in my sketchbook but my scanner is busted so I can't upload them to paint over in photoshop the joy. So I did one in photoshop and it's looking more like the style I'm going for but... I dunno it just looks really cartoony to me... then I got annoyed and tried adding makeup and I actually like the makeup eye better it has been one of those days lol, looking at it again... I think its the age old issue I have with not enough damn contrast!!!! T_T Anyone any ideas on how to keep the dark values without seemingly blending them into oblivion?

@VooDooDollMaster - Just a suggestion, I think if you go with the green leg version you could make it look more like she is floating down by adding a bit more swing to the skirt and the hair it would give it a bit more movement and not look quite as stiff as a pose :) like I say just a thought I love the look on her face though much bad-assery! ^^

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 20:15:52

im already planning on altering the right hand since it seems too stiff (if was fine originally but i kept shifting the right leg around so now it looks off.

To give an elevated emphasis on a character is to put them in a pose that makes them appear superior to the viewer. After all, we can not compare as we are gravitationally handicapped.

I suggest to show a bit of what's underneath of a few things to help sell the idea of being vertically unchallenged. Notice how we can see a bit under her chin and the bottom of her foot.
A little cast shadow can also be used for good measure and for the sake of clarity.
The less words we need to type out to explain the character the better.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 20:31:14

That def is better. I might try something similar but hopefuly not to the point of being a rip off. I tend to be afraid to try different angels so thus i never show under chins and such.

At 3/30/15 08:15 PM, Cairos wrote:
To give an elevated emphasis on a character is to put them in a pose that makes them appear superior to the viewer. After all, we can not compare as we are gravitationally handicapped.

I suggest to show a bit of what's underneath of a few things to help sell the idea of being vertically unchallenged. Notice how we can see a bit under her chin and the bottom of her foot.
A little cast shadow can also be used for good measure and for the sake of clarity.
The less words we need to type out to explain the character the better.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-03-30 22:44:37

I try expressions faces

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-01 16:08:45

Inspiring stuff havnt called it quits my tablet broke so im using pencil and paper and my camera sucks for quality doing basic shapes cups, vases and my gesture drawings looking foward to getting some pics of progress up for you guys think youll be pleasantly suprised

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-03 02:57:43

@GabrielMoon - Hmm.. there's something off about them. Kinda uncanny valley-ish. You should work more on your faces.

@Kalicia - Whoa. Those are some cool eye study. Nice use of colors. But I don't know anything about colors anyway. xD

@DhomynO - PLANTS! :0

@TurkeyOnAStick - I know what you mean. I just have.. self-esteem issues. xD

-----

OMG! I haven't been drawing in a while except on my memo pad.
Well.. quickie gestures. I'll soon get back to the regular drawing schedule I have.. hopefully.

The Art Workshop

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-03 13:35:20

@ DhomynO - I like the apple! :D to the point where I went and got one so that's gotta count for something right!

@123mine123- Thank you :3 If only I could manage to get the studies onto a face.... somehow I seem to lose the style when painting the pieces onto a whole face I think I over blend the edges or something XD

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-03 17:21:31

@Kalicia Nice eye study, though you're right about your issue with contrast. My advice on not over blending is to develop a more confident brush stroke so you wouldn't have to worry about blending it. Sure with photoshop, you can use level adjustment layers or certain blending layers with masking to choose which area to pop more but developing confident brush strokes helps overall in the beginning.

@GabrielMoon I kinda like the expression on the left, it got that creepy feel. Though the other heads have bad head structure.

@DhomynO I like the grass at the fourth row all the way to the left, it reminds me of a sword.

@123mine123 They're like cheerleaders trying to form letters, nice slender gestures. My favorite is the one with the hand on the ground doing a split, like the way you drew the rib supporting the pelvis when it's bending over for that split.

@LegolaSS Nice faces, my favorite gotta be the top 2nd one in profile view and the angry expression one.

@TurkeyOnAStick I like the depressing girl and the guy at the top right.

Here are skulls I drew from last week (I kinda waited until my phone mobile hotspot data reset to post these).

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-03 17:23:41

I then drew bigger skulls to see that I get the bigger picture, wasn't too happy on how much I struggle on the last skull.

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-03 17:39:47

And here are skulls I drew this week.

My monday was good, but my tuesday felt like my brain turn to smoosh until the last few minutes when I start thinking straight again.

In wednesday, I eventually understood the cranium better (and now start thinking about that kabuto pokemon).

Thursday was a lot of experimenting though that front view under view one looks pretty bad, gotta remember to work on that in monday.

I'm off today on Friday from work so I fill the last row, though my brain felt smoosh to get the front view to look right. At least with a smoosh mind, the first 3 skulls I drew work out okay. Still struggling on how the skull looks when lifting it up (especially front view).

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-03 17:50:15

Last one for today, drew 4 big skulls, first one was very bad, I was looking at a reference when drawing this but I was too caught up on the reference that I didn't match the perspective I drew this in. The second one was better but the way I approach it didn't build upon the barrel thing very well. The 3rd one has a jaw and then I look at Burne Hogarth Drawing Heads and found a head model that match with what I just drew. SO I drew the fourth one base on Hogarth head shape value.

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-04 02:16:39

@ZaneZansorrow - Yeh it was weird. All teh poses I got seems to look like cheerleaders. xD
Also, great skulls as usual. I don't how you can create that many skulls without getting bored of doing it over and voer again. xD

-----

"Daily" gestures. as always.

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-05 13:30:25 (edited 2015-04-05 13:31:34)

I'm struggling with male personas and I would love some honest feedback here. I know I can improve but I'm not quite sure where to start. A lot of my guys end up choppy and they're appearances are stiff and look tense. I want to work on getting a more relaxed look to each guy and an easier shape for the face definition without having to resort to facial hair.
(You can ignore the pony I was just goofing off)

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-07 06:23:15

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-07 17:08:11

face renders, working on smiles

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-07 17:12:07

At 4/7/15 05:08 PM, LegolaSS wrote: face renders, working on smiles

Dude just awesome job.

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-07 20:03:55

More;..

The Art Workshop

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-07 20:49:18

Some gestures

Trying to do more without reference to apply stuff I learn which has made me realize how badly I need to practice my line quality ..

The Art Workshop

BBS Signature

Response to The Art Workshop 2015-04-07 21:06:37

Absolutely amazing work here from everyone, It's all been really inspirational, seeing how others tackle their problems is very interesting aswell, I'm super excited to check back here daily and see what's new!