00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LimeIsHere just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii)

29,937 Views | 291 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-10 17:12:54

At 7/10/14 05:39 AM, RobertTaylor wrote: I'd be interested in taking part. I'm sure I'd be up to par, but just check my shit anyway and give me the go ahead. I don't want to waste my time here.

With the gore though, just to be clear, blood is okay but internal organs are not?

Cool man, glad to have you a part of the team. Also as far as quality goes, I'm just looking for something that makes it look like you put forth an effort. You should be fine though Robert, as long as you put in effort.

Gore: Be tasteful- if Organs are needed for your scare ( your scare is part of the internal organs ) then fine. But cutting up somebody and their Organs fall out is unnecessary. I'm trying to bring back the original psychological scares, not this new age blood n' gore fest that they pass for horror in the industry now days.

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-10 17:21:38

Members

- Intro : ReklessCreati0n
- Part 1:Open
- Part 2: Mrcoleman
- Part 3: snickity
- Part 4: Open
- Part 5: ReklessCreati0n
- Part 6: RobertTaylor
- Part 7: Oh-Sama
- Part 8: Open
- Outro/Credits: ReklessCreati0n

Pending Members Members that Haven't been active

RubberPanda
yetanotherjohn
VaguelyWonderful
HipnikDragomir
ImaFreekozoid

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-16 18:44:55

Here's a screenshot of the first scene. Let me know if there's anything changes that I need to make on her. I tried my best to draw the girl you wanted us to draw but in my own style. Oh and the other side of the room won't be as blank as what you see in the screen shot. More updates to come.

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-16 22:22:05

At 7/16/14 06:44 PM, Mrcoleman wrote: Here's a screenshot of the first scene. Let me know if there's anything changes that I need to make on her. I tried my best to draw the girl you wanted us to draw but in my own style. Oh and the other side of the room won't be as blank as what you see in the screen shot. More updates to come.

Looks good dude, I like the more realistic feel of your style. If I may add an anatomical suggestion, in the picture you showed, the eyes are a little too high. I usually line my eyes up with the top of the ears of the character. That should make her look slightly more realistic. But of course it's entirely up to you. I do really like the style though, glad to see some updates coming out :D

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-22 23:23:00

Hey guys!

Just wanted to state that I've started working on getting my parts put together. I finished the sound for the intro, and started getting the animation down. Feel free to check out the storyboard for it here. Keep in mind it's still in early storyboard/animatic stages. I'll post the final storyboard when I finish.

If any of you are curious how I put together any of the sounds or find music that fits the collab feel free to ask.

Hope to see some more updates from you guys over the next month. Come September it'll be crackdown time to get ready for that sweet October release.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-23 15:44:02

Finished up the intro storyboard, what do you guys think? I think it's freaking twisted :D

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-23 18:07:01

At 7/23/14 03:44 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Finished up the intro storyboard, what do you guys think? I think it's freaking twisted :D

Heh, I think its cool. A girl waking from a pleasant dream and finds herself inside a white room. It leaves the audience to speculate whether she was kidnapped or not. Really nice.

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-23 20:22:35

At 7/23/14 06:07 PM, Mrcoleman wrote:
At 7/23/14 03:44 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Finished up the intro storyboard, what do you guys think? I think it's freaking twisted :D
Heh, I think its cool. A girl waking from a pleasant dream and finds herself inside a white room. It leaves the audience to speculate whether she was kidnapped or not. Really nice.

Right! I'm really excited to play around with the color pallet in the opening sequence. I'm going to be using a lot of warm colors that will immediately change to cool blues when she wakes up. Looking forward to playing with this intro over the next couple of weeks. I'll post updates on it as I work on it.

The story I'm getting from the intro ( or what is intended ) is that she's been in captivity already for a while, and she's trying to have a nice dream when it's interrupted by the screaming from the next room. Which is why she kind of just rolls over like "Dammit not again". I really want to play with her expressions too in the final animation to show how peaceful and happy she is during the dream, then BAM REALITY! mwhahaha!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-30 15:31:18

I've been thinking of doing a Halloween project this year and this collab might just be the thing. Let's get something straight about the gore though. Would this be too much?

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-31 00:07:00

At 7/30/14 03:31 PM, Whirlguy wrote: I've been thinking of doing a Halloween project this year and this collab might just be the thing. Let's get something straight about the gore though. Would this be too much?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/153348

Correct, that would be excessive gore, with little to no reason for it. The thing about the gore is, if it's necessary then it's fine.
For instance, in my part, my character will be cut deeply, it will be shown, and it will be graphic. But there is a reason for it.
If your scare revolves around intestinal failure and you "Need" to show exploding intestines to signify that, then it's ok. But if you're going to have intestines explode for no reason, all over the room, then it's just snuff.

This is the type of scare that I'm hoping to achieve from this collab.

Hope this makes sense :D

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-31 01:45:57

This seems interesting. I've never done anything horror related so I will have to due research. I've wanted to get back into animation for awhile now. Hopefully work doesn't get to kray kray again. Deadline seems very doable even is issues arise. The only thing I am concerned out is sound design? I am horrible at it. So if anyone could help me out. Voice actors BG music, other small details that would be amazing! XD

Now I need to work on the girl design in my own style. I'll update some sketches within the week XD

Plot line as well... Time to consult some friends XD

***WebSite DeviantArt / Tumblr / SheezyArt /

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-31 03:19:37

At 7/31/14 01:45 AM, sweetyluli wrote: This seems interesting. I've never done anything horror related so I will have to due research. I've wanted to get back into animation for awhile now. Hopefully work doesn't get to kray kray again. Deadline seems very doable even is issues arise. The only thing I am concerned out is sound design? I am horrible at it. So if anyone could help me out. Voice actors BG music, other small details that would be amazing! XD

Now I need to work on the girl design in my own style. I'll update some sketches within the week XD

Plot line as well... Time to consult some friends XD

Awesome dude, can't wait to see what you can come up with, as far as sound goes, I'm open to helping people out with sound design on their parts. Overall the way I do it is fairly simple, I use a program called Audacity ( it's free ) then I search youtube ( usually ) for horror movie sound effects, jump scares, etc. If you're looking for voice actors, there are a lot available here on Newgrounds, just have a script ready by then. I'll toss an invitation to the voice actors thread here to get some people to post here.

My recommendation is to work out your idea first, watch some horror movies for inspiration. I'm sure youtube has a great selection of horror movies, as well as Netflix.

I'm also open to the idea of getting everybody together over google+ sometime to discuss our ideas out to see if we can somehow link some of them together for extra scares ;)

Did a bit more sound work on the Intro Storyboard today, brought the levels up and added a bit more to effects.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-31 09:22:07

At 7/31/14 12:07 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: This is the type of scare that I'm hoping to achieve from this collab.
Hope this makes sense :D

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. However, let me try to analyze this.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/627713
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/562882

Twelve AM and The Northern Incident are both very great at inducing fear, but in the process use up a lot of time in order to build suspense. The way I see it, this posed a problem with last year's collab, as the slow pace made for some very unclear transitions between each movie. Especially since each follow-up used the exact same setting. However, maybe it has nothing to do with the pace of the movies themselves. I'm leaning towards the rolling-egg sequence, which wasn't abrupt or different enough for people to notice they were making a transition into a new story. Err... sorry, I'm digressing.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/347190

I think 3:33 builds suspense much in the same way as Twelve AM and The Northern Incident. It sets an eerie mood and makes you wait for something to happen. Generally I think jumpscares are pretty cheap, but it really depends on how you use them.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/626799

Skin A Pixel Nightmare contains both pixels and excessive gore, so I'm a bit surprised to see it in your list. I suspect you chose this for its haunting concept, distorted visuals and underlying story.

Correct, that would be excessive gore, with little to no reason for it. The thing about the gore is, if it's necessary then it's fine.
For instance, in my part, my character will be cut deeply, it will be shown, and it will be graphic. But there is a reason for it.
If your scare revolves around intestinal failure and you "Need" to show exploding intestines to signify that, then it's ok. But if you're going to have intestines explode for no reason, all over the room, then it's just snuff.

I'm a little disappointed by this. Not that I'm a big fan of gore or anything, but I like the thought of having many different horror genres packed in one single collab. It keeps things diverse, you know? :)

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-31 10:56:43

At 7/31/14 09:22 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
I'm a little disappointed by this. Not that I'm a big fan of gore or anything, but I like the thought of having many different horror genres packed in one single collab. It keeps things diverse, you know? :)

Like I had said before, I'm not ruling out gore in all it's entirety, it just has to have a place and time. I just don't think that extreme gore is a horror genre, think of it like happy tree friends. When you see them get sliced up or whatever, it doesn't make you scared, just kind of grossed out. The gore thing shouldn't be an issue if the content of your piece is scary without it. IF you feel adamant, write out your idea and PM me, and I can see if it'll work or not.

The original concept of this was the Horror/Suspense collab. As you mentioned, last years collab was a bit confusing in it's pacing. There weren't very many people involved other than myself, so I ended up throwing what I could together. I wanted to go with a psychological ending last year, but lacked the content from the pieces themselves. This year I'm just going to toss out the "cool transition" idea that I had last year and keep it simple for less confusion.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-31 16:08:35

At 7/31/14 10:56 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Like I had said before, I'm not ruling out gore in all it's entirety, it just has to have a place and time. I just don't think that extreme gore is a horror genre, think of it like happy tree friends. When you see them get sliced up or whatever, it doesn't make you scared, just kind of grossed out. The gore thing shouldn't be an issue if the content of your piece is scary without it. IF you feel adamant, write out your idea and PM me, and I can see if it'll work or not.

The original concept of this was the Horror/Suspense collab. As you mentioned, last years collab was a bit confusing in it's pacing. There weren't very many people involved other than myself, so I ended up throwing what I could together. I wanted to go with a psychological ending last year, but lacked the content from the pieces themselves. This year I'm just going to toss out the "cool transition" idea that I had last year and keep it simple for less confusion.

Fair enough. Here's the plot I want to use:

The girl is woken up by the intervals of low frequency zooming sounds. As she gets up to explore the room, she finds out the sound is coming from behind one of the walls. She holds her ear against the wall but everything turns quiet. The wall suddenly moves and she finds a dark room just behind it. At the back of the room, a dead body of a man is sitting on the floor. His head is missing. The zooming resumes, as she watches a head-sized flying insect lower from the ceiling and lands on the man's neck, taking control over the body's nerve system. Clumsily the insectoid man runs into the white room but trips as he tries to reach her. The girl then makes her escape to the dark room and finds a button that closes the wall. Just in time she manages to escape from the liveless body. It is silent. But suddenly the noise continues. Right above her head this time. She looks up to witness the ceiling full of those horrifying flies. The end.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-07-31 16:42:08

At 7/31/14 04:08 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Fair enough. Here's the plot I want to use:

The girl is woken up by the intervals of low frequency zooming sounds. As she gets up to explore the room, she finds out the sound is coming from behind one of the walls. She holds her ear against the wall but everything turns quiet. The wall suddenly moves and she finds a dark room just behind it. At the back of the room, a dead body of a man is sitting on the floor. His head is missing. The zooming resumes, as she watches a head-sized flying insect lower from the ceiling and lands on the man's neck, taking control over the body's nerve system. Clumsily the insectoid man runs into the white room but trips as he tries to reach her. The girl then makes her escape to the dark room and finds a button that closes the wall. Just in time she manages to escape from the liveless body. It is silent. But suddenly the noise continues. Right above her head this time. She looks up to witness the ceiling full of those horrifying flies. The end.

Sounds good, I like the idea of it, and I was already starting to picture it in my head. I see that you were concerned about my "gore-policy" because of the headless body and the insect creature, but the gore has a point to the plot. The insects take the heads off, then replace the body. It makes sense and the gore is justified.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-06 02:08:58

Sketches so far not sure about her design yet until I build more on the story :p

***WebSite DeviantArt / Tumblr / SheezyArt /

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-06 05:29:39

At 8/6/14 02:08 AM, sweetyluli wrote: Sketches so far not sure about her design yet until I build more on the story :p

Looking sweet dude, diggin the style. I really like how the eyes are expressive in your drawings, been working hard to get mine that way. I'll try to get some of the intro fully animated this week so you guys can get a feel for my animation style.

How's everybody else been doing? Anybody need any help/feedback?

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-15 19:36:43

Hey Everybody,

We've got about 2 months left ( and a few days ) until the deadline. Time for me to start buckling down on my end of the project. Started a new job so updates from me have been sparse.

Quick Storyboard of Intro -

This is how the collab will be starting off, there will be no menu since it will be a .mp4 file type in the end. It will work similar to the previous collab. A few days after halloween I will also post the collab to youtube for their mobile support.

I'm happy so far with the intro and am excited to set aside some time to get the final ( colored ) art into play.

How is everybody doing on their parts?

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-16 17:25:11

At 8/16/14 01:27 PM, CausticHarmony wrote: Hi, still open? :3
Cause i really would like to give it a try.
Although i never really made an animation, the closest thing i made to an animations is this gif yesterday.
(it's totally a coincidence that it is a girl in a white room :p)
Something of that quality will be ok?

Yes the collab is still open, although it may be a little tough for your "first" animation, I'll be happy to help you out with things as you need it. ( especially audio compression ) I'd say start by working out a storyboard and go from there. Glad to have you aboard.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-16 21:25:58

I'm we're doing this shit again. Last year's video was like a mixed bag of good and bad. But I hope this year's is a lot better.

Stuff normally tastes well...

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-16 21:27:34

At 8/16/14 09:25 PM, LULZ64 wrote:

*I'm glad is what I meant to say.

Stuff normally tastes well...

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-17 01:18:07

Can anyone be a part of this? I'd like to submit something :) How do I join who do I talk to?

The last sound you will ever hear... ~swish~... I am the Reaper's Sound

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-17 02:30:18

At 8/17/14 01:18 AM, ReaperSound wrote: Can anyone be a part of this? I'd like to submit something :) How do I join who do I talk to?

I should ask more than just the few questions. Can the room have a window of sorts? furniture bed computer lamp? What about the flash itself? I am using CS4 are you wanting AS2 or AS3? Does the girl have to have long hair and a green tanktop? Why just panties?

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-17 16:51:58

At 8/15/14 07:36 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Quick Storyboard of Intro -

That's excellent! Very inspiring!

How is everybody doing on their parts?

I figured I had enough time, so I didn't get started on my part yet. I'd like to have the animation finished by the time October begins though, so I'm definitely starting soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-17 18:53:10

At 8/17/14 04:51 PM, Whirlguy wrote:

figured I had enough time, so I didn't get started on my part yet. I'd like to have the animation finished by the time October begins though, so I'm definitely starting soon.

Sounds great, really hoping for some interesting and twisted parts this year.

At 8/17/14 02:30 AM, ReaperSound wrote:
At 8/17/14 01:18 AM, ReaperSound wrote: Can anyone be a part of this? I'd like to submit something :) How do I join who do I talk to?
I should ask more than just the few questions. Can the room have a window of sorts? furniture bed computer lamp? What about the flash itself? I am using CS4 are you wanting AS2 or AS3? Does the girl have to have long hair and a green tanktop? Why just panties?

Yes anybody can be a part of this, just keep in mind if your part does not fit in with the theme or motif then it will not be included in the final piece.

The room can change, I would prefer if the room started out as a blank white room ( sort of like an insane asylum ) but after you've introduced the character in the room, you're welcome to have furniture "appear" into the room. For example my room will start off white, then a panel will slide back revealing outer space.

It doesn't matter which version of flash you use, just make sure your .swf file will be exactly how you want it to look, I will be using swivel to convert final pieces into .mp4.

I would prefer for the model to be similar in each part, as far as "just panties" I don't know, it's just how I designed her, makes her feel more vulnerable to the audience.

At 8/16/14 09:25 PM, LULZ64 wrote: I'm glad we're doing this shit again. Last year's video was like a mixed bag of good and bad. But I hope this year's is a lot better.

I agree LULZ64, it was entirely my fault that the collab didn't flow correctly last year. Due to a lacking number of parts, I had to make a quick ending that replaced the original idea. ( The creep ending ) which did not compliment the rest of the project. That's why i'm making sure we get this announced here early for plenty of time for parts to be completed. As far as the theme this year, it should translate much easier as well. ( the egg was confusing )

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-18 02:47:38

I just have a few more questions. I noticed that there is a members list does that mean there is a limit to the amount of people who are going to be in the collab? Are you going to need a watermark for the individual members? Is it going to be one long? SWF file video or is it going to be a scene selection sort of deal.

Also I saw the intro swf. really sets the mood I love it short simple and creepy, in short awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-18 07:21:05

That sounds awesome! I really love making music for horrorfilms, because you can do very different stuff here. Actually most of the filmmusic I made was for horrorfilms. So if somebody needs a composer in his team, here is some stuff from my NG account:
Some more Horror stuff:

Twisted circusclown/fairground stuff:

Or some dreamy or orchestral stuff:

You can find some more stuff at my NG audio and a lot more stuff at my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/zhthar

Have fun!

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-19 15:14:15

At 8/18/14 02:47 AM, ReaperSound wrote: I just have a few more questions. I noticed that there is a members list does that mean there is a limit to the amount of people who are going to be in the collab? Are you going to need a watermark for the individual members? Is it going to be one long? SWF file video or is it going to be a scene selection sort of deal.

Also I saw the intro swf. really sets the mood I love it short simple and creepy, in short awesome.

The final product will be a .mp4 file. So a long movie. I included the member list so if collaborators wanted could get together with other members to possibly involve each other in their parts. The member list hasn't been updated in a few posts. But I try to keep an up-to-date one on each page of the thread. Watermarks are allowed but not mandatory. I'll likely add in watermarks for users if they didn't do so themselves.

Right now I'm not worried too much about maxing out members because I'm assuming that some people will drop out over time, so I don't want to shy anybody away that might help make the collaboration amazing.

At 8/18/14 07:21 AM, Azhthar wrote: That sounds awesome! I really love making music for horrorfilms, because you can do very different stuff here. Actually most of the filmmusic I made was for horrorfilms. So if somebody needs a composer in his team, here is some stuff from my NG account:

Awesome Azhthar! Glad to have you around for any musical needs that users will likely need. I encourage anybody that would like audio help to get in touch with you through PM.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-08-19 23:10:33

Is this still open for new people? I got a good twist.

It starts out all terrible and crap - hey that's kind of my thing. The girl gets chased by some ugly thing then they run through the wall and evaporate. This reveals a cozy office with someone hooked up to a brain reading machine all scifi and stuff. Doctors all like "Why don't you make anything useful/good". Dude in the thinking cap is all like "Maybe I don't want to." Meta commentary if there ever was any. Also, that ending part is animated well. What a twist!

I make Comic Sans look good.

BBS Signature