00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dingleberry96 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii)

29,932 Views | 291 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-06 16:30:26

At 9/6/14 03:19 PM, Oh-Sama wrote: The work of today I'm really proud since I don't usually get such results using my computer mouse :)
But still, I have not made the storyboard yet. Just working a little bit on some stuff and techniques, like the backgrounds and the colors before getting started :D

Really nice designs there mate. I have one question and one comment. The image isn't a white room and the question... The rat doctor with the surgical mask is he eating through it? Don't take me serious I'm just having fun diddly un here. I relly like the second rat doctor the ling hair makes it a bit creepy also the one with the exposed brain is very nice and fitting. Keep up the good work mate.

The last sound you will ever hear... ~swish~... I am the Reaper's Sound

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-06 16:53:50

At 9/6/14 04:30 PM, ReaperSound wrote: Really nice designs there mate. I have one question and one comment. The image isn't a white room and the question...

I guess I have to redo the texture on the floor and walls! May be I should refine the lineart so that the white fill is more clear.

The rat doctor with the surgical mask is he eating through it? Don't take me serious I'm just having fun diddly un here.

Haha, I myself think the third Rat was the worst, I'll draw him again tomorrow. I'm not sure how the rat is supposed to wear the mask. All I know is that adding the mask will give him a more creepy look :D
Also I have to do other variations of these rats in terms of size and body color ^-^

I relly like the second rat doctor the ling hair makes it a bit creepy also the one with the exposed brain is very nice and fitting. Keep up the good work mate.

Thanks for the comment. I have to recheck my design of the third Rat, I guess while exporting it from Flash I missed the hair coming out of his surgical mask, it makes my art very terrible!

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-06 17:47:50

At 9/6/14 04:53 PM, Oh-Sama wrote:
At 9/6/14 04:30 PM, ReaperSound wrote: Really nice designs there mate. I have one question and one comment. The image isn't a white room and the question...
I guess I have to redo the texture on the floor and walls! May be I should refine the lineart so that the white fill is more clear.
The rat doctor with the surgical mask is he eating through it? Don't take me serious I'm just having fun diddly un here.
Haha, I myself think the third Rat was the worst, I'll draw him again tomorrow. I'm not sure how the rat is supposed to wear the mask. All I know is that adding the mask will give him a more creepy look :D
Also I have to do other variations of these rats in terms of size and body color ^-^
I relly like the second rat doctor the ling hair makes it a bit creepy also the one with the exposed brain is very nice and fitting. Keep up the good work mate.
Thanks for the comment. I have to recheck my design of the third Rat, I guess while exporting it from Flash I missed the hair coming out of his surgical mask, it makes my art very terrible!

They're all still way better than what I have been doing. On paper I used to be really good with art or drawing in general but on the wacom pad I SSSSUUUUCCKKKK badly. I still need major practice and I'm in no way an animator but for some reason this collab and being a part of it is really giving me some real inspiration.

I've been getting ideas left and right and I have been trying to get my stuff done. I can't drawy rat like creatures or aliens in that manner but I'm trying my ideas and I think I finally have one I can use. Taking the weekend to work on it since I am at work (don't worry I'm not getting into trouble LOL.)

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-06 18:34:36

At 9/6/14 03:19 PM, Oh-Sama wrote: The work of today I'm really proud since I don't usually get such results using my computer mouse :)
But still, I have not made the storyboard yet. Just working a little bit on some stuff and techniques, like the backgrounds and the colors before getting started :D

Looks good man, a general tip that I'd throw out there just to help you cut down on your work. Design your characters to be at a 45* angle. It makes it so you don't have to draw multiple angles to them. For instance, if you designed the rats at the 45* angle you could use those designs for your animation. ( just by rigging the bone structure) Think about most cartoons on TV now-a-days like Family Guy, Simpsons, hell even MLP. All are set to a 45* angle so they can re-use art.

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-06 19:31:14

At 9/6/14 06:34 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
Looks good man, a general tip that I'd throw out there just to help you cut down on your work. Design your characters to be at a 45* angle. It makes it so you don't have to draw multiple angles to them. For instance, if you designed the rats at the 45* angle you could use those designs for your animation. ( just by rigging the bone structure) Think about most cartoons on TV now-a-days like Family Guy, Simpsons, hell even MLP. All are set to a 45* angle so they can re-use art.

Hey that's a pretty good tip. I was having a bit of trouble with designing hair. I know may be something simple but I have been having the most trouble with that in particular. I pretty much have the characters that I wanted just need a few more body formations to draw and redraw again but hair is giving me the most problem especially in CS4 there's not many tools and the paintbrush is sh*tty as it is. You think you could lend me a hand on a few tips picsor examples? Something simple I don't want to pierce my bamboo pad with frustration... again.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-07 02:46:59

At 9/6/14 07:31 PM, ReaperSound wrote: Hey that's a pretty good tip. I was having a bit of trouble with designing hair. I know may be something simple but I have been having the most trouble with that in particular. I pretty much have the characters that I wanted just need a few more body formations to draw and redraw again but hair is giving me the most problem especially in CS4 there's not many tools and the paintbrush is sh*tty as it is. You think you could lend me a hand on a few tips picsor examples? Something simple I don't want to pierce my bamboo pad with frustration... again.

The character's hair for this collab is pretty basic. The hair comes out about 45*s of her scalp, then sprout from there. I drew an image up for you to give you a little more information regarding her hairstyle.

Dark Red is the key points to her hair design, if you get those areas then the rest sort of falls into place.

The underline facial structure is useful as well for starting out drawing a face.

Start with a circle
> make a curved line about 2/3 down from the center of the circle
>>draw cheekbones from the intersect,
>>> Eyes belong on the 2/3 line
>>>> Nose is just under the bottom of first circle. ( Mouth a bit under that as well )

This method works well for 45* angle as well.

here's an example of an animation I've done using the 45* method

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-07 03:19:15

At 9/7/14 02:46 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
At 9/6/14 07:31 PM, ReaperSound wrote: Hey that's a pretty good tip. I was having a bit of trouble with designing hair. I know may be something simple but I have been having the most trouble with that in particular. I pretty much have the characters that I wanted just need a few more body formations to draw and redraw again but hair is giving me the most problem especially in CS4 there's not many tools and the paintbrush is sh*tty as it is. You think you could lend me a hand on a few tips picsor examples? Something simple I don't want to pierce my bamboo pad with frustration... again.
The character's hair for this collab is pretty basic. The hair comes out about 45*s of her scalp, then sprout from there. I drew an image up for you to give you a little more information regarding her hairstyle.

Dark Red is the key points to her hair design, if you get those areas then the rest sort of falls into place.

The underline facial structure is useful as well for starting out drawing a face.

Start with a circle
>>>> Nose is just under the bottom of first circle. ( Mouth a bit under that as well )

Haha funny animation, I really enjoyed it XD
OK I'll see if I can use your tip next time but hey, you didn't say anything about my story at the 1st post on this page, are you going to use it?
Also, is it ok if my animation starts with the bad guys, may be something like this? Sorry if the animation runs too fast, it was late and I had to go to sleep so I didn't correct the fps :)
THIS IS ALL ENVIRONMENT DESIGN AND FOR PRACTICE, I MAY/WILL CHANGE THINGS LATER :)
No need to worry I'll keep the same hair for the girl

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-07 12:39:24

At 9/7/14 02:46 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:

Start with a circle

I've been steadying my hand on your technique and it's really simple technique thank you for the help. Just need an hour or two on steady practice and I will get it down packed. I can finally get my moving forward on the moel and whatnot As for the animation you left as an example I found that very funny and that's exactly how I was when I was back in High school LOL. Was that the Guitar God on the front riding the dragon from Guitar Hero? LOL

Really good animation and example these are perfect Thank you again for the help mate.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-07 13:46:50

At 9/7/14 12:39 PM, ReaperSound wrote: I've been steadying my hand on your technique and it's really simple technique thank you for the help. Just need an hour or two on steady practice and I will get it down packed. I can finally get my moving forward on the moel and whatnot As for the animation you left as an example I found that very funny and that's exactly how I was when I was back in High school LOL. Was that the Guitar God on the front riding the dragon from Guitar Hero? LOL

Really good animation and example these are perfect Thank you again for the help mate.

Not a problem, if you're having trouble drawing the lines free-hand. Don't forget to use the tools flash gives you, the line tool is a great way to get your base lines down perfectly, just adjust them as needed.

The dragon riding guitar god was the Dragonborn. I made that animation when Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4 and Skyrim first came out, which was at the start of school. It was a part of the "Just a Monday" collaboration.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-07 13:49:53

At 9/7/14 03:19 AM, Oh-Sama wrote: Haha funny animation, I really enjoyed it XD
OK I'll see if I can use your tip next time but hey, you didn't say anything about my story at the 1st post on this page, are you going to use it?

I already have my stories figured out, so I don't know about anybody else. So I personally won't be using it.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-09 20:18:52

Wow, I was planning to have my sketches done by now. Looks like there's a lot more scenes to animate than I initially thought there would be.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-09 22:52:01

At 9/9/14 08:18 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Wow, I was planning to have my sketches done by now. Looks like there's a lot more scenes to animate than I initially thought there would be.

That's how it tends to go with my parts as well, but it's usually not so bad because in horror there are a lot of long "drawn-out" scenes with little movement. So animating it shouldn't be so bad in the end.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-11 20:51:51

At 9/9/14 10:52 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: That's how it tends to go with my parts as well, but it's usually not so bad because in horror there are a lot of long "drawn-out" scenes with little movement. So animating it shouldn't be so bad in the end.

Man, I wish that were the case. I've got a lot of different shots to animate here. Two-minutes worth to be exact. I'm finally finished with the sketches, although I kind of rushed it towards the end. I'm not even sure what the uniform of the insectoid is supposed to look like yet. I was thinking of making the body some sort of future maintenance guy or mechanic or something.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/f339102f3ffbf424d492d3ad870df613

Now would be a good time to think about getting a voice actress too.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-11 21:50:01

At 9/11/14 08:51 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Man, I wish that were the case. I've got a lot of different shots to animate here. Two-minutes worth to be exact. I'm finally finished with the sketches, although I kind of rushed it towards the end. I'm not even sure what the uniform of the insectoid is supposed to look like yet. I was thinking of making the body some sort of future maintenance guy or mechanic or something.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/f339102f3ffbf424d492d3ad870df613

Now would be a good time to think about getting a voice actress too.

Man that part is going to be awesome once it's completed! Great work man, really dig the teaser!

I think a maintenance guy would work best, plus it'd be relatively easy to animate a dude in a jump-suit.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 11:13:53

At 6/2/14 07:18 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Welcome toA Girl in a Room II, a Halloween 2014 collaboration.
To Join

Post here stating your interest in the collaboration, if we have room you'll likely be in! Please have some prior animation experience.

If you still have any openings Id love to offer voice work ^_^

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 13:36:15

At 9/12/14 11:13 AM, SailorSilverStar wrote: If you still have any openings Id love to offer voice work ^_^

Sounds great SailorSilverStar! I'm sure plenty of us could use a Female Voice actress right now. I might actually have some work for you myself once I get my entry part organized. I have a lot of dialogue in my scene from the antagonist but the girl is muted, I could use mainly "sound effects" for her, but I'll PM you when I've got a script/storyboard for you to work off of.

Do you have a demo reel you'd like to post here so people can gage your abilities?

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 14:05:12

At 9/12/14 01:36 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
At 9/12/14 11:13 AM, SailorSilverStar wrote: If you still have any openings Id love to offer voice work ^_^
Sounds great SailorSilverStar! I'm sure plenty of us could use a Female Voice actress right now. I might actually have some work for you myself once I get my entry part organized. I have a lot of dialogue in my scene from the antagonist but the girl is muted, I could use mainly "sound effects" for her, but I'll PM you when I've got a script/storyboard for you to work off of.

Do you have a demo reel you'd like to post here so people can gage your abilities?

Wonderful!!! I'm looking forward to it. I know I need one but at the moment sadly I do not have a demo. But I do have 3 auditions up on my profile you are more then welcomed to hear. If you need an example of something more specific please feel free to say so with maybe some dialogue and I would be very happy to make a recording for you! ^_^

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 16:15:22

At 9/12/14 02:05 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote: Wonderful!!! I'm looking forward to it. I know I need one but at the moment sadly I do not have a demo. But I do have 3 auditions up on my profile you are more then welcomed to hear. If you need an example of something more specific please feel free to say so with maybe some dialogue and I would be very happy to make a recording for you! ^_^

My concern is essentially the quality of your microphone, IE- no feedback, white noise, and crystal clear voice. Especially for sound effects in my part. I'm thinking my part will essentially go like this.

Girl Standing in the middle of the room looking around.
Something runs behind her

Girl: "Is somebody there?"
A Wall opens up revealing a window, outside you can see outer space, in orbit of the earth.
Girl: ( in awe ) "Whoa.."
As she's staring out the window in wonderment a life form appears behind her.
Alien: "Greetings"
She tries to scream but has gone mute
Girl: ( startled gasping scream sound )
Alien begins to monologue
Girl: ( Various muffled sound effects, grunts, moans, etc ) [ as if in a conversation with a dentist, but mouth sewn shut ]
Alien becomes terrifying
Girl: ( Muffled scream of pain )

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 16:19:38

At 9/12/14 04:15 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
My concern is essentially the quality of your microphone, IE- no feedback, white noise, and crystal clear voice. Especially for sound effects in my part. I'm thinking my part will essentially go like this.

Would you like me to try a recording of this and send it to you?

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 16:26:00

At 9/12/14 04:19 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote:
At 9/12/14 04:15 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
Would you like me to try a recording of this and send it to you?

That can work, just shoot me a PM with the download link when you have it available.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 16:32:10

At 9/12/14 04:26 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:

That can work, just shoot me a PM with the download link when you have it available.

Done ^_^

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 17:22:49

I'm relatively new to Flash animation, so I hope my work in progress meets the standards for this incredible collab/idea. I started several days ago as a now-or-never starting point. It's not bad it's not good. I've never done horror/suspense (as a writer or fledgling musician) so this opportunity is a rich platform to dive into the underworld. :) The colours are bright right now since it's easier for me to add effects in post... Though! Though I'm late to the show, know my part'll be done far before the deadline, as I have nooooootthing except drinking to do. Which is good, because then I can get drunk, see that it's all crap, redraw everything, and make it better.

Thanks! For hosting this collab :)

Flashes to the first GIAR episode

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 19:19:36

At 9/12/14 05:22 PM, FourCigarettes wrote: I'm relatively new to Flash animation, so I hope my work in progress meets the standards for this incredible collab/idea.
Thanks! For hosting this collab :)

Flashes to the first GIAR episode

Cool man, not too bad for being new-ish to flash. A few things that I can pin-point that may make your work "pop" in the future.

- Life Drawing

Work on your life drawing a bit for your anatomy, It's something that I constantly struggle with myself. But remember that the human body has distinct proportions. Now if you're going for a certain style of drawing such as Whirlguy where the porportions aren't intended to be realistic this doesn't apply. But with your part, you seem to be shooting for realism. So quick reference for help.

Measure your drawing's head, ( height ) the height of the head will represent ( x ) in this example.

Head = x
Body = 2(x)
Legs = 3(x)
Arms = 2(x) + hands ( so slightly longer than the body )

This will hopefully help out a bit, your part looks fine so far, my only grievance is some of the art that I believe isn't complete, for example she's missing arms in the first scene. Also her legs are too short in the first scene as well, use the above chart to hopefully fix those out.

I'm interested to see where you are going to take this one, should be interesting.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-12 19:55:06

At 9/12/14 07:19 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Cool man, not too bad for being new-ish to flash. A few things that I can pin-point that may make your work "pop" in the future.

Tips? Always appreciated.

- Life Drawing

Work on your life drawing a bit for your anatomy, It's something that I constantly struggle with myself. Now if you're going for a certain style of drawing such as Whirlguy where the porportions aren't intended to be realistic...

Sort of shooting for realism. Since it's sci-fi I'm going with an 'irreal' type of approach: not exactly realistic, not precisely unrealistic. Still, the references are a huge help man. I never thought about using head size to determine limb length.

for example she's missing arms in the first scene. Also her legs are too short in the first scene as well, use the above chart to hopefully fix those out.

The short (and deformed) legs and missing arms are a part of the story, don't worry. It's not a simple flashback, either. (coffee at 4AM ftw)

I'm looking forward to tackling this again tonight after seeing the amazing examples/art Oh-Sama and Whirlguy posted. Wow.

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-14 01:13:36

I think I am getting the way I want the girl to come out. Though may not be to happy about the hair. I can always make the adjustments needed. I am seeing that everyone's example has been shown with her having longer hair. This what I have ready so far. As in script/story I have what I have been working on and I admit may turn out to sound a bit dialogue heavy. I'm working on recording voice work and am a bit nervous getting my own voice in this but I have the lip sync down and ready to keep up with the speech.

The girl I am trying to work on a bit of a malnourished thin look. The injury on her neck I will explain that in the final draft/ example clip when I have something ready.

If there is anything that looks out of place meaning if I don't match the theme of the collab please let me know I will adjust accordingly.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-14 01:19:30

At 9/14/14 01:13 AM, ReaperSound wrote: If there is anything that looks out of place meaning if I don't match the theme of the collab please let me know I will adjust accordingly.

If you're going for the malnourished look, try giving her some pale skin as well, might go well with showing that she's been in there a while. Also the gradient in the hair may be a bit strong, I'd recommend out of personal preference to bring the light grey down a tad so it doesn't look so forced. Other than that should be interesting to see your part come together.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-14 02:02:01

At 9/14/14 01:19 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
At 9/14/14 01:13 AM, ReaperSound wrote: If there is anything that looks out of place meaning if I don't match the theme of the collab please let me know I will adjust accordingly.
If you're going for the malnourished look, try giving her some pale skin as well, might go well with showing that she's been in there a while. Also the gradient in the hair may be a bit strong, I'd recommend out of personal preference to bring the light grey down a tad so it doesn't look so forced. Other than that should be interesting to see your part come together.

Will do thank you. I've been trying out the bone tool I'm getting a better hand at it and I will put my all into this. Need to work on different hand gestures tomorrow at work. For tonight... sleep.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-14 20:40:53

If there are any female parts left I might be able to do some voice acting work. It'll be my first try at it, though...

Oh yeah, and if any writing needs to be done I could probably do that too. I like to write :3

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-15 17:21:17

Hey guys, thought I'd tell you what's up. My animation has a total of 48 different shots that need to be animated. Currently I've got 9 of them complete, so that's roughly 20% there. I'm working on shot number 10 now. That's the part where she puts her ear against the wall. All of this would progress a whole lot faster if flash didn't have this bug where the keybindings have a will of their own. Aggravating!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-09-15 20:13:08

At 9/15/14 05:21 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Hey guys, thought I'd tell you what's up. My animation has a total of 48 different shots that need to be animated. Currently I've got 9 of them complete, so that's roughly 20% there. I'm working on shot number 10 now. That's the part where she puts her ear against the wall. All of this would progress a whole lot faster if flash didn't have this bug where the keybindings have a will of their own. Aggravating!

Keep at it dude. It's going to be a tough road and I've seen some of your art your really good. Just concentrate and keep focused you will get it. It's hard now but only going to get easier when it's closer to being finished. Can I come over to watch? LOLOL

BBS Signature