00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii)

29,911 Views | 291 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-15 23:16:29

Hello, I really liked my concept, but the tests I have done of it really aren't up to par in my opinion.
I am just letting you know that I will not have any more time to finish this project. Sorry. :/
I did have some fun with the vocals and some of the sight gags, but the transition that actually made the piece "spooky" was not in the cards.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I make Comic Sans look good.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-16 13:25:34

I just want to throw out there; if anyone still needs a voice actress or is still waiting on lines from their actress for the girl I'd like to offer being the voice and/or a stand in just encase the actress you want doesnt make it in time.

I'm not meaning to step on anyones toes or cross lines; I just wanna offer my help to anyone who needs it. Even if you need it just for the timing(?)

I'm obviously not an animator so I dont know what you guys and gals have to do to sync stuff together ^_^;

Just offering help ^_^ since I'm doing the girl for Reckless

Thank you and I cant wait to see everyones hard work!! ^_^

Ah, crap... I just noticed I reached the 2 minute limit. And judging from how much I have left to do in my script my part might be a little longer than 3 minutes. I must have gotten the time limit confused with another collab as I was writing the script. If I continue working on it I'll have it done by the due date though, I'm a fast animator. Do you mind if my part reaches 3 minutes or do I need to compromise?

Edit: False alarm, I just reached 1 minute lmao. I'm not used to working with 24 frames per second so I mistook 1440 frames as 2 minutes when its actually 1 minute. Gah, I'm so slow lol!

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-17 02:11:38

At 10/16/14 06:58 PM, Mrcoleman wrote: Edit: False alarm, I just reached 1 minute lmao. I'm not used to working with 24 frames per second so I mistook 1440 frames as 2 minutes when its actually 1 minute. Gah, I'm so slow lol!

Lol, all good man, the 2 minuet thing is adjustable depending the parts. Looks like we'll have time to spare in the final piece.

Here's an update on my part. Almost done with the storyboard ( animatic ), afterwards I'll be working on the final animation. Shouldn't take me very long since I've nearly animated everything already, just gotta draw over lol.

Feedback?

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-17 07:04:37

At 10/17/14 02:11 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Feedback?

Pretty good. I like the alien design and the voice acting is very fitting.
Perhaps make the alien shut her mouth like they did here. Preferably over time. For example, her mouth shrinks together more and more the more she tries to speak.

A small question: I suspect there isn't any transition clip yet to keep the different collab works apart (like in the first installment).
Is it in the making on should we create our own transitions?

---------| You're welcome |----------

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-17 12:00:52

At 10/17/14 02:11 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Feedback?

AHHHH SO COOL!!! I LOVE IT!!!

I am with Bazooka, when you let me see the audio teaser for some reason I had a similar image in my head or her being gagged somehow, not necessarily that she couldnt open her mouth as if it was super glued shut

BUT OMG THIS IS STILL SO AWESOME!!!! ><

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-17 12:51:57

At 10/17/14 07:04 AM, BazookaBonsai wrote: Pretty good. I like the alien design and the voice acting is very fitting.
Perhaps make the alien shut her mouth like they did here. Preferably over time. For example, her mouth shrinks together more and more the more she tries to speak.

Funny that this is actually the effect that I was planning on doing, it just doesn't look right when it's sketched out. Her mouth is nearly sealed together.

A small question: I suspect there isn't any transition clip yet to keep the different collab works apart (like in the first installment).
Is it in the making on should we create our own transitions?

I won't be doing a 'seamless' transition like last year, but i'll be making the transition clips for the parts when they are put together.

BBS Signature

Holy highhat!
An actual animation update on my part :O

Go towards the light!!!

Plans:
- I've changed the original plan to the girl accepting "absolute defeat". I think it may be a bit more thought provoking for the audience and less blunt than "I can't win, therefore an hero".
- I should be done with most of the key animation tomorrow.
- The full animation will likely be done next thurstday. Reason is animation finetuning and the rest of the sound design.

This is also probably the last time I can make relatively extensive changes to the animation as a whole. Once I start working on the key animation, mayor alterations will likely kill my already tight timeframe. If you have to get something off your chest, this is your time to do so.

I also want to say that it has been really fun working on this thus far. Can't wait to see all the finished clips.

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-20 01:13:42

Terrible news. I had a bit of a mishap with my part and lost the file I was working on. My HDD on my laptop pretty much went blank on a mandatory update. freaking POS computer. The only thing I have is the voice audio clip I forgot to back everything else up. I know it's close to the deadline and this being the worst thing that can happen. As to my part in the collab I may need to drop out this here isn't a definite answer I still wish to be part of it and I'm not going to give up.

I'm sorry to give the grave news/update.

The last sound you will ever hear... ~swish~... I am the Reaper's Sound

BBS Signature

At 10/18/14 04:59 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote: - I've changed the original plan to the girl accepting "absolute defeat". I think it may be a bit more thought provoking for the audience and less blunt than "I can't win, therefore an hero".
If you have to get something off your chest, this is your time to do so.

Yeah okay. I think the original idea could still work, but the pacing of your movie might confuse the audience as it is shown. It is very rapid and shows no indication that a lot of time may have passed since she first started her test. I think facial expressions may be key here. Like, here's how I imagine this scene: She suddenly curls up in a squatting position, placing her arms over her head like she's trying to protect herself. A close-up of her face is shown, slowly zooming in. As it zooms in, her determination slowly changes into despair, and from despair into madness. The clishé transparent calendar-turning animation may run through the screen. When this shot ends, the next shot shows the girl standing up from this position. The room shows that the walls have scratches on them, indicating that a lot of days have passed. Maybe her hair's grown longer as well. That's when she sees the dot of light again and decides to kill herself. Hope that was helpful to you.

At 10/20/14 01:13 AM, ReaperSound wrote: My HDD on my laptop pretty much went blank on a mandatory update.

It's not too late! Grab yourself a screwdriver and remove your HDD. Bring it to someone who knows a lot about computers. The files should still be on there, you just need someone who knows how to access them.

My own project is doing great. All of the backgrounds are done, and there's only 4 more shots to do coloring for right now. Next, I'm going to revise some of the work I've done so far. Also, audio. One week left!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-21 06:34:26

At 10/17/14 02:11 AM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Here's an update on my part.
Feedback?

Not really. I'm loving it so far! Especially the audio.

BBS Signature

At 10/20/14 10:27 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 10/18/14 04:59 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote: - I've changed the original plan to the girl accepting "absolute defeat". I think it may be a bit more thought provoking for
the audience and less blunt than "I can't win, therefore an hero".
If you have to get something off your chest, this is your time to do so.
Yeah okay. I think the original idea could still work, but the pacing of your movie might confuse the audience as it i
shown. It is very rapid and shows no indication that a lot of time may have passed since she first started her test. I think
facial expressions may be key here. Like, here's how I imagine this scene: She suddenly curls up in a squatting position,
placing her arms over her head like she's trying to protect herself. A close-up of her face is shown, slowly zooming in. As : it zooms in, her determination slowly changes into despair, and from despair into madness. The clishé transparent
calendar-turning animation may run through the screen. When this shot ends, the next shot shows the girl standing up
from this position. The room shows that the walls have scratches on them, indicating that a lot of days have passed.
Maybe her hair's grown longer as well. That's when she sees the dot of light again and decides to kill herself. Hope that
was helpful to you.

Indeed it was. Thanks.
I've revisited my original concept and I believe I've found a better paced way of concluding my clip.
The current "end" would be altered and a "an undefined amount of days later" transition (probably backout) would lead to the final scene. It will show the place where the dot is(was) located covered in scratches, fussures and blood, followed by a closeup of the girls crippled left hand (implying she broke both in the attempt of reaching the light) and her tired eyes. The dot lights up again at the fissue. The last things we see is the girl charging head first into the wall in a fit of desperate mania.

I'll also definetly make use of these expression transitions you mentioned before.

I'll also have to pull an all nighter now to get that done. Wish me luck :)

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-21 11:33:18

At 10/21/14 10:46 AM, BazookaBonsai wrote: Wish me luck :)

Niceee, I'm loving it! Good luck man!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-21 20:40:30

Working on the Backgrounds in photoshop, figured I'd try something new this year.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-21 22:56:08

At 10/21/14 08:40 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Working on the Backgrounds in photoshop, figured I'd try something new this year.

Another Background Finished Up

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-22 18:15:38

At 10/21/14 10:56 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:

-SQUEE- LOOKS SO COOL!!!!

At 10/22/14 06:15 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote:

Another!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-22 22:05:41

At 10/22/14 09:09 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote:
At 10/22/14 06:15 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote:
Another!

This collab can not be done fast enough!!! ><

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-23 06:00:55

At 10/21/14 10:56 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Another Background Finished Up

Your part looks amazing especially the voice acting and the sound effects. Looking forward to see the final thing!

Guys, I guess I got very excited with my old idea to the point where I did not realise how much I suck at storyboarding and animating.
SO, after many failed attempts, I've adjusted my scenario a bit.
Oh btw, I'll be submitting a MP4 file since all the horror in my part is based on video effects (RGB twich and stuff).
I can't do that in Flash because it makes the file very huge and the rendering troublesome!
But I can still send you the FLA file if you would like to.
I hope that you're OK with the MP4 format and that I can catch up on you on time.

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-23 13:19:18

A screenshot from my current progress. Including sounddesign and finetuning, I should be done tomorrow.

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-23 20:25:53

I'm almost done. Only 10 camera shots remain.

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-24 10:29:05

I regret deeply to inform that I will be dropping from the collab. I'm sorry truly I am for this. I thank you for the opportunity and the time that you have given. I've seen all the examples and works that everyone here has put and I know will be an amazing collaboration when it's put together. Good luck to you all and again thank you.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-24 13:00:23

At 10/21/14 08:40 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Working on the Backgrounds in photoshop, figured I'd try something new this year.

Really neat man!

At 10/23/14 01:19 PM, BazookaBonsai wrote: A screenshot from my current progress. Including sounddesign and finetuning, I should be done tomorrow.

Absolutely love the style you work with!

At 10/23/14 08:25 PM, Mrcoleman wrote: I'm almost done. Only 10 camera shots remain.

Looks very promising!

At 10/24/14 10:29 AM, ReaperSound wrote: I regret deeply to inform that I will be dropping from the collab.

Aww, that's a real shame man. Hope everything will turn out fine with your computer.

At 10/22/14 10:05 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote: This collab can not be done fast enough!!! ><

Congrats on getting that microphone you wanted!

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-24 13:14:22

At 10/22/14 10:05 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote: This collab can not be done fast enough!!! ><

Thank you I just got it!!! I'm on such a high right now lol

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-24 16:45:12

At 10/23/14 06:00 AM, Oh-Sama wrote:
At 10/21/14 10:56 PM, ReklessCreati0n wrote: Another Background Finished Up
But I can still send you the FLA file if you would like to.
I hope that you're OK with the MP4 format and that I can catch up on you on time.

MP4 works just fine Sama, hope you're able to get it done in time.

At 10/23/14 08:25 PM, Mrcoleman wrote: I'm almost done. Only 10 camera shots remain.

Looking great Mrcoleman!

At 10/24/14 10:29 AM, ReaperSound wrote: I regret deeply to inform that I will be dropping from the collab. I'm sorry truly I am for this. I thank you for the opportunity and the time that you have given. I've seen all the examples and works that everyone here has put and I know will be an amazing collaboration when it's put together. Good luck to you all and again thank you.

Sorry to lose yah ReaperSound, maybe next year man.

At 10/24/14 01:14 PM, SailorSilverStar wrote:
Thank you I just got it!!! I'm on such a high right now lol

Awesome, congrats on your new microphone!

-UPDATES-

Members
- Content Warning
- Intro : ReklessCreati0n ( done ) [ Credit Editing ]
- Part 1: Mrcoleman
- Part 2: Whirlguy
- Part 3: BazookaBonsai ( done )
- Part 4: ReklessCreati0n
- Part 5: Oh-Sama

- Credits: snickity /ReklessCreati0n ( done ) [ Text to be added ]

Pending Members/ Members that Haven't been active; Please reply if you're still interested

sweetyluli ( posted updates on Oct 6th )

RubberPanda
yetanotherjohn
VaguelyWonderful
ImaFreekozoid
CausticHarmony
RobertTaylor

----
We are 4 Days away from the Deadline, and 7 Days away from Halloween.

(posted the background without the sketches in the way)

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-25 13:19:54

wow, im about to blow up
too much awesomeness. but i hold myself back until the whole thing is finally published.
next time ill take part with something worthier though... dunno, without character animation its just not the same...
however, you guys are great, i admire each and every wip posted
and love <3

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-25 13:21:22

Nice! So about the specifics of this deadline, is the 27th the last day for us to submit our work before 12:00 PM? Or is our last day the 26th, and the 27th would be overdue?

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-25 17:14:23

I'm 9 seconds of action away from completion, excuse the lack of activity within this thread. My part should be finished either tomorrow or the day after, definitely before the 28th.

A WIP of the final sequence (the woman will be redesigned for the final product):

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-26 01:57:51

ReklessCreati0n you can bet the farm I will be a part of next year's collab. Seeing the finished intro made me tear up seeing my name. I feel so horrible I can't be part of this...

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween '14 (girl In A Room Ii) 2014-10-26 03:45:12

At 10/26/14 01:57 AM, ReaperSound wrote: ReklessCreati0n you can bet the farm I will be a part of next year's collab. Seeing the finished intro made me tear up seeing my name. I feel so horrible I can't be part of this...

Yeah dude for sure, if all goes as plan then we should be doing this again next year, feel free to start planning out ideas for your parts. I'll try to figure out an idea after this one is done for next year's theme.

At 10/25/14 05:14 PM, FourCigarettes wrote: I'm 9 seconds of action away from completion, excuse the lack of activity within this thread. My part should be finished either tomorrow or the day after, definitely before the 28th.

A WIP of the final sequence (the woman will be redesigned for the final product):

Oh?! sweet dude! I didn't even realize you were still working on your part. Glad to hear it though, I've added you to the new List.

At 10/25/14 01:21 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
Nice! So about the specifics of this deadline, is the 27th the last day for us to submit our work before 12:00 PM? Or is our last day the 26th, and the 27th would be overdue?

27th by 11:59PM ( PST ) But I probably won't be finished with my part (space), let alone getting things put together by the 28th/29th. So if you guys that are working on your parts and have shown a lot of progress, if you need a bit more time to work on your parts to get them crisp and polished by the 28th. ( 11:59PM (PST) ) So we can shoot for a 29/30th Release Date.

Luckily I'm decently fast at animating and most of the framework is set in place already, so my part should get done by the 28th. Giving me time to work on extra bits for the credits, and adding in some after effects ( using Adobe After Effects ). heh'.

ahem

The List!

-UPDATES-

Members

- Content Warning
- Intro : ReklessCreati0n ( done ) [ Credit Editing ]
- Part 1: Mrcoleman
- Part 2: Whirlguy
- Part 3: BazookaBonsai ( done )
- Part 4: ReklessCreati0n
- Part 5: FourCigarettes
- Part 6: Oh-Sama
- Credits: snickity /ReklessCreati0n ( done ) [ Text to be added ]

Pending Members/ Members that Haven't been active; Please reply if you're still interested

sweetyluli ( posted updates on Oct 6th )

RubberPanda
yetanotherjohn
VaguelyWonderful
ImaFreekozoid
CausticHarmony
RobertTaylor

TL;DR : Updated list, various replies, Deadline is Oct. 27th (11:59PM[PST]), Release should be Oct. 30th*.

*or sooner

BBS Signature