00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yamusy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M '13: Round 5

8,339 Views | 98 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 17:15:07

Heyyo! Welcome to the Round 5 thread of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch 2013 (NGADM '13)! What's that, you ask? Check out this thread to find out more. Otherwise, if you've been tensely waiting for this, read on!

Same as always, this thread holds the results of Round 4, and the list of 4 semi-finalists who will be moving on to the next round. Every round we tell ourselves it can't get any better, but you guys just keep pumping out one amazing track after another, and this round was no exception. I don't think we've ever had this many consecutive high-scoring rounds as this year. I'd like to point out the etherealwinds vs headphoamz pairing, which is one of the closest we've ever had! Well-done to both of you, one hell of a fight!

Anyway, same drill as always. Throughout the next 2 weeks, the judges will review your submissions. Since the number of submissions has decreased this time, the judges will all be reviewing each track. That's right, you get SEVEN reviews on your piece!

Before we start though, here are some rules you should probably read:

1.) Do NOT complain about or question your score in this thread, and no ranting or distasteful posts! You will be getting reviews explaining some of your scores, and if you want a particular judge to explain his/her score to you, then resort to PMs, and be patient and reasonable! Remember - the judges all worked very hard for this round, and deserve a round of applause not a round of hate PMs.

2.) The results will take up more than one post. Do not post anything until the results, winners and pairings have all been posted, and I give the go-ahead. It will inevitably get deleted by a friendly neighbourhood moderator.

3.) Use this thread to post your Round 5 submissions. As always, this thread can also be used for discussion.

4.) PMs will be sent to everyone who took part notifying them of the results. If you've already seen these results and got a PM, disregard it.

5.) Read the RULES again. You may have missed something. You never know!

Once again, thanks go to camoshark for his list of submissions and threads, SourJovis for compiling a Round 3 ranking list, SoundChris for stepping up to take JacobCadmus' place and making a track anyway, and Artist-Lost for making the awesome logo. Oh, and make sure to give a listen to the Round 4 playlist for a handy playthrough of all the awesome this round.

We'd particularly like to give a big shout-out to the great judging team for this round, who put a lot of effort into getting you these results in time: me, SkyeWintrest, Step, bassfiddlejones, alternativesolution, Back-From-Purgatory, and Neon-Bard.

So yeah, I suppose that's it! After 2 weeks of fantastic music, Purgy being poked, hard-drives being stolen, and PeterSatera threatening a paddlin', I'm proud to present the Round 4 Results! Enjoy!

N G A D M '13: Round 5

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 17:17:22

SCORES:

Group 01: SoundChris vs johnfn

- SoundChris
--- Echo: 8.6
--- Step: 9.1
--- alternativesolution: 9
--- Back-From-Purgatory: 8.5
--- Neon-Bard: 8.5
--- bassfiddlejones: 9.4
--- SkyeWintrest: 9.4
AVERAGE: 8.93

- johnfn
--- Echo: 9
--- Step: 9.2
--- alternativesolution: 9.3
--- Back-From-Purgatory: 9.5
--- Neon-Bard: 9
--- bassfiddlejones: 9.2
--- SkyeWintrest: 9
AVERAGE: 9.17

======================
WINNER: johnfn
======================

Group 02: etherealwinds vs headphoamz

- etherealwinds
--- Echo: 9
--- Step: 9.6
--- alternativesolution: 9.6
--- Neon-Bard: 9.5
--- bassfiddlejones: 9
--- SkyeWintrest: 9.5
AVERAGE: 9.39

- headphoamz
--- Echo: 9.6
--- Step: 9.6
--- alternativesolution: 9.5
--- Back-From-Purgatory: 9
--- bassfiddlejones: 9.3
--- SkyeWintrest: 8.8
AVERAGE: 9.26

======================
WINNER: etherealwinds
======================

Group 03: InvisibleObserver vs steampianist

- InvisibleObserver
--- Echo: 7.8
--- Step: 8.5
--- alternativesolution: 8.1
--- Back-From-Purgatory: 8
--- Neon-Bard: 7.5
--- bassfiddlejones: 8.6
--- SkyeWintrest: 7
AVERAGE: 7.93

- steampianist
--- Echo: 9.2
--- Step: 9
--- alternativesolution: 8.7
--- Back-From-Purgatory: 8.8
--- bassfiddlejones: 9.6
--- SkyeWintrest: 9.6
AVERAGE: 9.13

======================
WINNER: steampianist
======================

Group 04: Kor-Rune vs InYourDreams

- Kor-Rune
--- Echo: 8.8
--- Step: 9.3
--- alternativesolution: 9
--- Neon-Bard: 8.5
--- bassfiddlejones: 9.5
--- SkyeWintrest: 8.8
AVERAGE: 9.06

- InYourDreams
--- Echo: 7.8
--- Step: 8.1
--- alternativesolution: 8.3
--- Back-From-Purgatory: 7
--- Neon-Bard: 8
--- bassfiddlejones: 8.8
--- SkyeWintrest: 6.3
AVERAGE: 7.76

======================
WINNER: Kor-Rune
======================

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 17:18:54

WINNERS:

etherealwinds
Kor-Rune
steampianist
johnfn

PAIRINGS:

etherealwinds vs johnfn
Kor-Rune vs steampianist

--

Congrats to the four people who've made it past this round, and a big well done to those who didn't make it too. It's hard to pick winners at this stage, but it has to be done unfortunately. Still, we'll look forward to seeing you again next year! To the winners, remember you have till the 20th October at 11:59 PM EST (NG Time) to produce a brand new piece! Good luck!

Don't forget to use PMs and/or review responses if you'd like to discuss your score with a judge. Remember to be polite, and ask nicely.

Anywho, that should be it for now! Commence your postifications ladies and/or gentlemen!

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 17:34:58

i don't know what to say

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 17:39:53

At 10/6/13 05:18 PM, Echo wrote:
WIENERS:
walawalawala

This results are really surprisingly diferent of what I thought they would be :O (exept for mine of course xD...)

Congrats to all the winners! You all were amazing!
And to the losers: You suck!... lol... jk guys. They were all great songs! I'm happy to be in this comunity with all of you :). There's a lot of talent here.

and sorry @Kor-Rune, that my piece wasn't really a worthy competitor to yours.

I'm your biatch now... you may slap me... u_u

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 17:48:35

My goal was top 8 and I hit that, so I'm pretty pleased. Have some good stuff to work with thanks to the comp.

GG!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 17:54:13

I'm kind of shocked. I thought SoundChris had a really fantastic track, honestly.

Alright, good luck @etherealwinds!

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 18:00:52

Seriously, everyone that was in the quarter final especially, whether you got through or not... The amount of quality I've seen from this single competition is so astounding. It's one thing coming from those running the competition or the judges, but I really feel like it needs to be reiterated. Each and every one of you fantastic musicians has injected so much motivation and inspiration into me. I didn't think I could love music anymore but after having the pleasure to listen to each and every one of you, it's overwhelming.

@headphoamz to be put up against you specifically in this round was a complete honour and in my eyes, your submission was totally worthy of going through to the semi-finals. I'm real happy we got introduced through this competition though!

Everyone, be proud and happy and to those going through to the semi-finals, let's all bloody aim for 9.5+ yes?

better go kick a cat to neutralise the soppiness

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 18:40:10

Good job you all. To keep up the tradition, here's the ranking list again.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 18:52:56

At 10/6/13 06:00 PM, etherealwinds wrote: @headphoamz to be put up against you specifically in this round was a complete honour and in my eyes, your submission was totally worthy of going through to the semi-finals. I'm real happy we got introduced through this competition though!

Word. Moment of silence for headphoamz, who, despite getting the 2nd highest score this time, won't be moving on. :(

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 18:53:08

At 10/6/13 05:39 PM, InYourDreams wrote:
At 10/6/13 05:18 PM, Echo wrote:
WIENERS:
walawalawala
Congrats to all the winners!

and sorry @Kor-Rune, that my piece wasn't really a worthy competitor to yours.

I'm your biatch now... you may slap me... u_u

Kbitch slapslap

Jk I know how time restraints are, you're still a badass c:

Its been fun you guys I'm gonna lose this round, steam you are a beast. Congrats to the winners and congrats to the losers for making it so far!

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 19:13:50

Whoa!!!! Very interesting turnout! How will this even?!??

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 19:31:08

@headphoamz to be put up against you specifically in this round was a complete honour and in my eyes, your submission was totally worthy of going through to the semi-finals. I'm real happy we got introduced through this competition though!

Word. Moment of silence for headphoamz, who, despite getting the 2nd highest score this time, won't be moving on. :(

Aw, you guys. I'm so very honored to have been in this competition. Despite the loss, I've gained a lot of good friends who are fantastic musicians. Thank you for having me!

@etherealwinds, my friend and confidant, you're amazing. GO GET'EM.

Phoamz signing off!
<3

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-06 22:28:53

0_0
It's coming down to the end
Jeez these songs are just getting better :D

Congrats to everyone who has made it this far :3

I suck at grammer ^ can't you tell?

Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 00:53:05

Reviews posted. Commence the raging and violent disagreement.

Or possibly the agreement, that's cool too.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 03:39:49

Congrats to everyone who made it and didnt. and i was a little surprised with some results and i noticed something ahehehe

@Kor-Rune its a guitarist vs. keyboardist showdown hehe best of luck to both of us dude

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 05:23:19

Congrats to the winners! We had some really great entries in the last round, well done folks! For those who lost this round, prepare for a paddlin'.

What? Did I forget to mention that happened to all the other's up till now?

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 05:41:15

At 10/7/13 05:23 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Congrats to the winners! We had some really great entries in the last round, well done folks! For those who lost this round, prepare for a paddlin'.

What? Did I forget to mention that happened to all the other's up till now?

Oh no! please dont, señor!

Oh yeah, please do it :D

Man, this round was hard... I got slaped and paddled just for losing... But I think it's nowhere near how it's gonna be next round :P... If I where you, I'll be really afraid of losing now O_O...

preparing "public humiliation" program...

I'll be watching you...

MUAHAHAHAHAhhaahhha *cough*... *cough*...

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 09:34:05

At 10/7/13 12:53 AM, SkyeWintrest wrote: raging and violent disagreement.

Called it.

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 13:52:21

At 10/7/13 09:34 AM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
Called it.

Request for next year's NGADM: a judge who has better credentials than being eliminated in the first round.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:03:03

At 10/7/13 01:52 PM, headphoamz wrote:
Called it.
Request for next year's NGADM: a judge who has better credentials than being eliminated in the first round.

Ow. You wound me.

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:03:03

Called it.

Wow.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:07:21

At 10/7/13 02:03 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
Called it.
Ow. You wound me.

...this was uncalled for. Blurted it out, my apologies. Sorry, everyone.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:16:15

At 10/7/13 02:07 PM, headphoamz wrote:
Called it.
Ow. You wound me.

It's alright, this is what happens when you get overtly emotionally attached to your work. You did what you had to do, produced an amazing track, fought another amazing track, and in the end one guy found a few more nitpicks in your song which ultimately cost you the round.

You might not agree with his nitpicks, but at the end of the day, airing out your gripes will only lead to destroy the reputation you gained through this competition.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:17:01

Called it.

Skye is a perfectly valid judge. He's got experience, a list of widely varied submissions, and has even hosted his own competitions, which makes him one of our most valuable assets on this competition. Need I remind you that you seem to have agreed with his reviews so far, except in the one round where the scores didn't favour you.

You had a fantastic run, and you were one of my personal favourites, and there's no arguing that your music is some of the best we've ever had, but that's no excuse to act like a sore-loser simply because you lost on one round. It happens. This is a large competition with a host of very talented people, and sometimes you might not make a piece that's a success and you lose. It's as simple as that. This does not mean you're any less talented, or any less of a composer.

Of course you're free to disagree with a judge's opinion, because that's exactly what it is, an opinion. However if you wish to discuss it, do so via PMs, not this thread. That being said Skye's reviews are entirely fair and he gives valid reasons for whatever scores he deemed fit, which is what all judges do. You not agreeing with them does not make the judge biased or out for revenge against you particularly.

If you have any further questions, or wish to argue your point further, kindly do so via PM, as this thread is NOT for that sort of thing.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:18:22

At 10/7/13 02:07 PM, headphoamz wrote:
Called it.
Ow. You wound me.

Also, apologies if I might sound a bit too blunt or harsh. I get that you get attached to this competition and emotions tend to run high, but please let's keep the arguments and accusations out of this and act like professionals.

Thank you.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:49:53

@headphoamz To add to what Echo said, I hope you don't end the experience with a sour note. Anyone who isn't a vegetable will express their disagreements with a judge and that's perfectly understandable. But I'll echo what he said (horriblepunsorry): keep it to PMs and review responses, not in the thread. In the past we've had arguments in NGADM threads and they clutter everything up and ruin the mood.

@SkyeWintrest Same applies to you. You know better than to post stuff like this. It only serves as an argument-starter, which would be great and all if it wasn't in this thread. Hit me up on Skype if you want to talk about this!

Anyway, I'd like nothing else to be posted in this thread about this matter unless it's on a positive note. If anyone has anything they want to recommend for the contest, just PM me or Echo. We shouldn't be the only ones giving feedback to people!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 14:55:26

Thanks @Step and @Echo. Once again I'd like to express my apologies to @SkyeWintrest. Let my head get the better of me! To all those in the next round, good luck!

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 15:06:14

You people are scary.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 5 2013-10-07 15:22:50

At 10/7/13 02:49 PM, Step wrote: But I'll echo what he said (horriblepunsorry):

Damnit Step... >.<

Check out my pages!

Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook