• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 18:16:26 Reply

Wall of text incoming...

Ladies and gentlemen!

Daliies and mentlegen!

Welcome one and all to the NewGrounds Music Triathalon (NGMT)!

Now, I'm sure you're tired of these audio contests by now. I mean seriously, this year is so full of them that you can barely take a step without tripping over one. It's not even halfway through the year, since the NGADM hasn't started yet.

Hey, stop talking about other contests, what's this one?

I was just going to get to that. This is a three-part contest designed to challenge all musicians on the AP, regardless of their preferred genre. I hope to do this annually (depending on whether I can gather prizes and stuff) with varying challenges so that everyone gets to try their hand at it! Even if you don't win, there'll at least be next year with different things to try.

Okay, so what do I actually have to do?

Well, first thing you need to know - there are THREE phases to this contest. Each phase will have a different challenge for you to overcome as well as a theme for you to focus on. These themes are styled around video games or films, but don't just give up thinking you can't make game music! This doesn't actually limit you! There are many different ways to approach one area, and unless the mood is specified you can take any approach you want. Remember, many video game and film pieces have lyrics and singing, so that's no barrier. I've worked hard to make sure that there won't be any challenge which favors a particular genre.

The deadline for each phase will be 2 weeks. You will know the challenges beforehand.

If you really don't feel like entering a phase or really feel like you can't do it... don't! You can drop out or join in ANY of the three phases as you please. However, if you do enter all three it'll increase your chances of winning the whole shebang and not just one phase... but you'll learn a bit more about that later. Any questions?

Nope, this sounds like fun! So what are the challenges and themes this time?

Hey, I didn't say I'd tell you what the themes are in advance! That could let people cheat and start early, and CHEATING IS WRONG. ...right?
However, I DID say I'd tell you what challenges you'll be facing. These are as follows!

PHASE 1: Simple. This "simply" means that you can only use FOUR instruments maximum (don't worry, an basic drumset - kick, snare, hi-hat, cymbals, toms - counts as a single instrument). Simple is beautiful.

Fun fact - the original number was 3, but it was changed to 4 so that people could have a lead instrument, chordal instrument, bass, and drums. This may be changed to 3 in the future though, so be ready!

PHASE 2: Timed. In the real world, there are deadlines. This can mean that you have to make music RIGHT NOW. This challenge will reduce the time you have to create a piece to only 3 days!

Fun fact - this challenge was the hardest to come up with. There are currently two other possibilities which may be used in the future, but they're a bit more complicated and would need an "ok" from the community first. We'll ask at the conclusion of this contest. :)

PHASE 3: Inspired! What are you inspired to make? There is no actual limit on this phase aside from the normal deadline. Make whatever you want... as long as it sticks to the theme, of course.

Fun fact - this "challenge" will always be the phase 3 of the contest, regardless of the other two phases. See, I can be nice sometimes!

Wait wait wait, how are you going to judge all these and check if they meet the requirements?

I'll answer the second question first. I and the other hosts of this event will listen through all the submissions to make sure they qualify before accepting them as a submission. If it is difficult to determine whether a piece meets the requirements, we will ask for evidence, so please keep your project files. If that is not provided, the piece will be disqualified, period. It may not be the best method, but it's the best we could come up with.

As for who the winners are, first we count up the votes, and then whoever has the most will win that round.

Votes? What are you talking about?

Well, here's one of the coolest parts about this contest. Everyone gets to help judge!
Now, you may be wondering how this works, and I'll explain it.

This is the only semi-complicated part of the contest.
In order to submit, do NOT upload your piece to newgrounds and make it public. Instead, you must put it on dropbox, mediafire, puush, the newgrounds dump, or any other filesharing website and send it via PM to one of the hosts. We will then upload all the pieces to a soundcloud account where they are all anonymous and merely titled "Track 1", "Track 2", "Track 3", etc.

The reason for this is that once all are uploaded, they will be put into a list on the voting thread. Every person who submitted a piece will be allowed to vote once on one piece of their choosing. We don't want to leave people without any say in who wins - this is a community, and everyone should have an input. That said, we don't want to have a whole bunch of people with no musical experience voting either - therefore, only the people who have submitted a piece are allowed to vote. Voting will take place over the course of 3 days.

Oh, that's pretty neat! But what about prizes and placing? I want my loot!

Hey, hey. Give me a minute to finish! There will be up to 6 winners: One for each phase and three for the entire contest.
The person who gets the most votes in a given phase will win that phase and get a prize. The three people with the largest sum amount of votes overall will win the entire contest. Yes, it is possible to win all three rounds and first place, but the prize for first place will be reduced somewhat because it would be somewhat unreasonable otherwise.

Victory in a phase: A speshul signature and high quality reviews from all hosts.

1st place overall: A super-speshul signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice, and an awesome $75!

2nd place overall: A marginally less speshul signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice, and a sweet $50.

3rd place overall: A somewhat-cool signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice, and a still-cool $25.

The top 3 and bottom 5 pieces of each round will get some reviews either way, as a reward for the top and as improvement help for the bottom.

RECAP: There are three phases in this contest, each with a different challenge and theme. In order to submit, you must send your piece to a host using a file sharing website or the newgrounds dump. You may submit it to newgrounds publicly after the voting is over. Pieces will be scored by majority vote. Only people who have submitted a piece to the round can vote on that round. You can win the round by getting the most votes for that round, and the people with the three largest sums of all votes will win the entire contest.

Alright! I'm ready to go, what's the first theme?

Great! The first phase is...

Challenge: Simple - 4 instruments MAXIMUM.

Theme: Monochromatic world - Imagine a world where all color has been sucked away.

Deadline: May 30, 23:59PM EST

Good luck! If you want some inspiration for your work and/or want a picture to add to your submission, check out the awesome artwork at the end of this thread!

Also, just as a reminder - submit your pieces of sonic amazing by sending them to a host. Pieces submitted to the AP publicly before the end of the phase WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

Special thanks goes to:
-deadlyfishes, for donating the prize money.
-Scott Rogers (Scottr5680), for his absolutely incredible artwork logo made in 8 days for this. There'll be more for the next rounds!

Your hosts: Myself, Camoshark, Stunkel, and Samulis!

N G M T - '13 Edition

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 18:19:12 Reply

Oh yes, just to make this simpler...

Basic submission rules:
1. Collabs are allowed, but the votes that the collab recieves will be divided up evenly among the collaberators. (If two people collaborate and their piece gets 4 votes, each person gets 2 votes added to their personal count for that round and overall. Yes, fractions can come into play)
2. No remixes/covers, please. (unless that's the round's challenge - which may be done in the future!)
3. You may not submit a piece you have previously submitted to Newgrounds.
4. You may not publicly submit your contest piece to newgrounds until after the round it is for. e.g. Someone makes a piece for the first round, they can't let anyone know they were the one who made it until the round is over. If you do publicly submit it, you will be disqualified.
5. Follow all normal newgrounds rules and audio rules and forum rules and blah blah blah you know all this already.
6. This is a MUSIC competition. This means no voice-acting, no experimental-noise and no farting into your microphone. (thanks Step and NGAPTAC and NGADM)

So there you go! If you have any questions, feel free to ask any questions you want in this thread! It's not like there's going to be a specific submission thread anyway, so discuss away!

Stuff.

BBS Signature
lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 18:26:05 Reply

4 instruments

what about overdubs?

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 18:31:39 Reply

At 5/16/13 06:26 PM, lasse wrote:
4 instruments
what about overdubs?

The basic rule of thumb for that is - if you have more than 4 instruments playing at the same time (including 4 different guitars), that's out.

You can layer instruments, but they must be playing as a single instrument - not using one instrument for one note of a chord, another instrument for another note, a third for the third note, etc.

If you're unsure of a specific instance of it, feel free to send us a work in progress so we can check it.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 18:35:30 Reply

so for example an acapella chord would be 3 instruments?

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 18:46:22 Reply

At 5/16/13 06:35 PM, lasse wrote: so for example an acapella chord would be 3 instruments?

That's probably going to be one of the trickiest ones. If it's like what you did in your NGAPTAC cover, then no - because that was used more as a 'choir'. If all the voices are using different voices (one ooh, one aah, one mmm, etc), then yes. If they are all used as melodic lines forming chords, also yes. If you're going to do that, I'd highly suggest checking that with us.

The same goes for strings, by the way.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 19:23:39 Reply

Speaking of guitars, let's say I want to emulate a band with the following instruments: drums, lead guitar, rhythm guitar and bass guitar. If there is a solo section and I want to keep the basic riffing on the background while playing the solo, would that be considered "out"?

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 19:25:31 Reply

At 5/16/13 07:23 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote: Speaking of guitars, let's say I want to emulate a band with the following instruments: drums, lead guitar, rhythm guitar and bass guitar. If there is a solo section and I want to keep the basic riffing on the background while playing the solo, would that be considered "out"?

If it's done by the rhythm guitar, then no. If you're having two lead guitars at once, that counts as two separate instruments.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 19:28:31 Reply

At 5/16/13 07:25 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: If it's done by the rhythm guitar, then no. If you're having two lead guitars at once, that counts as two separate instruments.

Alright, that clears things out a bit. Thanks.

I might consider joining

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 20:57:49 Reply

Cool idea!

Should I assume the soundcloud account will go up with everything on May 30th? And how long will the voting take place for?

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 21:00:27 Reply

At 5/16/13 08:57 PM, alternativesolution wrote: Should I assume the soundcloud account will go up with everything on May 30th? And how long will the voting take place for?

Oh, 3 days, sorry - I got lost in the text!

And I meant the 31st.

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 21:06:55 Reply

At 5/16/13 09:00 PM, alternativesolution wrote:
At 5/16/13 08:57 PM, alternativesolution wrote: Should I assume the soundcloud account will go up with everything on May 30th? And how long will the voting take place for?
Oh, 3 days, sorry - I got lost in the text!

And I meant the 31st.

Hey there!

Yep, the voting goes for three days.

I'll do my best to make sure the soundcloud account will go up with everything on May 31st ASAP - I won't upload anything to it before then though, to avoid spoilers. ;)

Stuff.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 22:59:53 Reply

Well, well, well, girls! Now isn't this interesting! Hee hee!

You won't be able to tell the difference between 4 violins and 20 violins! :):):) LOLOLOL!!

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 23:04:59 Reply

At 5/16/13 10:59 PM, Bosa wrote: Well, well, well, girls! Now isn't this interesting! Hee hee!

You won't be able to tell the difference between 4 violins and 20 violins! :):):) LOLOLOL!!

*cough*

Hello, Bosa. Planning on taking part?

Stuff.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 23:06:04 Reply

At 5/16/13 11:04 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: *cough*

Well, with something so simple as four instruments.. My laziness will be satisfied with this contest I believe.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 23:13:42 Reply

At 5/16/13 11:06 PM, Bosa wrote:
At 5/16/13 11:04 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: *cough*

Well, with something so simple as four instruments.. My laziness will be satisfied with this contest I believe.

Well, I highly suggest you continue on to the next two rounds as well. Otherwise it's quite unlikely that you shall achieve greatness within this contest.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 23:37:00 Reply

I'm assuming you'll go into more detail with voting later, but I'm guessing we can't vote for ourselves? Otherwise it will be the biggest tie in history. I'm betting there will be some decent guesses as to who is who as well!

I've got some awesome ideas floating around in me head.

lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 23:44:37 Reply

i take it submitting to the ng audio portal is not a requirement?

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 23:45:44 Reply

At 5/16/13 11:37 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: I'm assuming you'll go into more detail with voting later, but I'm guessing we can't vote for ourselves? Otherwise it will be the biggest tie in history. I'm betting there will be some decent guesses as to who is who as well!

I've got some awesome ideas floating around in me head.

Of course you can't vote for yourself!

I'll be outlining the rules of voting in the first voting thread - all the rules I've outlined will be repeated for each round.

I can't wait to hear what these awesome ideas are. Go for it!

Stuff.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-16 23:54:04 Reply

At 5/16/13 11:44 PM, lasse wrote: i take it submitting to the ng audio portal is not a requirement?

Not only is it not a requirement, it is against the rules until the round is over. I'd prefer to allow people to do it, but I can't think of another way to keep the submissions' titles blank and the authors anonymous during the voting.

Even if some people have extremely distinctive styles, many will still be mysteries. I mainly don't want people to vote based on who made the submission, but based on the submission itself.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 00:11:26 Reply

How long do you want the song to be?

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 00:19:12 Reply

Why are there descriptions of phase 2 and 3, when you shouldn't start earlier than 2 weeks in advance? Will the themes change?

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 04:00:19 Reply

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

N G M T - '13 Edition

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 04:23:42 Reply

Sounds pretty cool already having an idea. but how about FX like uplifters etc? also is there an specific lenght to the submissions? and last but not least i uses mostley like 1 kick 1 clap and 4 hihat's does that count as 1 instrument?

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 07:24:42 Reply

At 5/17/13 12:11 AM, Elitistinen wrote: How long do you want the song to be?

However long you want. Just keep in mind, your peers are the ones judging it. Something tells me that giving them a 10-second loop or a 10-minute extended ambient piece isn't going to appease them.

At 5/17/13 12:19 AM, SourJovis wrote: Why are there descriptions of phase 2 and 3, when you shouldn't start earlier than 2 weeks in advance? Will the themes change?

Hell yeah they will. There's a different theme for every phase. I thought I'd give people some warning of what each phase will test you on. Even though it'll be difficult to start work early because of the thematic difference, at least you won't be caught completely off-guard.

At 5/17/13 04:00 AM, Step wrote: Is mayonnaise an instrument?

Yes. So is ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, and any other sauce you think of. ...as long as you use it for percussion or FX or fix it up so it's pitched.

At 5/17/13 12:19 AM, Cabbster wrote: Do sound fx count as an instrument? Also can I use soundclouds private feature, where I make it downloadable and the link is only accessible to those I give it out to?
At 5/17/13 04:23 AM, ForeverBound wrote: Sounds pretty cool already having an idea. but how about FX like uplifters etc? also is there an specific lenght to the submissions? and last but not least i uses mostley like 1 kick 1 clap and 4 hihat's does that count as 1 instrument?

Sound Fx does count as an instrument, but I will treat it the same as a drumset - you can use multiple pieces of one-shot sound Fx and have it count as a single instrument. More specific to a drumset, you can have as much percussion as you want, as long as it's playable by a normal person. When it comes to electronic drums, going for a kick+snare/clap+hi-hat combo will be just fine. You could even add some tom-toms to that too if you want.

Cabbster, feel free to use soundcloud's private feature, as long as you don't give it out to any of the participants. As I said before, the whole point of keeping other people from seeing until the end of the round is so that the tracks have anonymous authors. Obviously I can't enforce it perfectly, but that would kinda mess your submission up with regard to the contest.

Glad to see so much interest so far! :)

Stuff.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 11:38:22 Reply

At 5/16/13 06:46 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
At 5/16/13 06:35 PM, lasse wrote: so for example an acapella chord would be 3 instruments?
That's probably going to be one of the trickiest ones. If it's like what you did in your NGAPTAC cover, then no - because that was used more as a 'choir'. If all the voices are using different voices (one ooh, one aah, one mmm, etc), then yes. If they are all used as melodic lines forming chords, also yes. If you're going to do that, I'd highly suggest checking that with us.

Sorry, ive not heard lasse's cover. So im a bit confused. Just to clarify. Where are we standing on orchestral? I know you mentioned about the choir briefly. But say you have a trombone section. Would you say this is 4 instruments or because it uses a single channel it's just one. Or we could use it, but multiple lines within the same instrument would be forbidden.

It's quite tricky, because you also get single patches which are full scope strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion. Giving a massive scope.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 12:33:49 Reply

At 5/17/13 11:38 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 5/16/13 06:46 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:

Sorry, ive not heard lasse's cover. So im a bit confused. Just to clarify. Where are we standing on orchestral? I know you mentioned about the choir briefly. But say you have a trombone section. Would you say this is 4 instruments or because it uses a single channel it's just one. Or we could use it, but multiple lines within the same instrument would be forbidden.

It's quite tricky, because you also get single patches which are full scope strings, brass, woodwinds and percussion. Giving a massive scope.

Alright, more explanation can be done.

When you have a patch of an entire horn section, all the horns are being used as one instrument. It can be used as a chordal instrument, or to make a 'big-sounding' melody. If the same patch is playing 2 melodic lines, then it will count as two instruments since a trombone cannot play two melodies at once (a keyboard could theoretically play two melodic lines at once as long as they don't use the same notes, so that's fine).

If you have a single trombone which was being used as part of the chords, but then comes out to do its own melody, it will count as a separate instrument as well.

Once again: If you're unsure of something, feel free to send us what you're unsure about.

Stuff.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 12:51:47 Reply

At 5/17/13 12:33 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: When you have a patch of an entire horn section, all the horns are being used as one instrument. It can be used as a chordal instrument, or to make a 'big-sounding' melody. If the same patch is playing 2 melodic lines, then it will count as two instruments since a trombone cannot play two melodies at once (a keyboard could theoretically play two melodic lines at once as long as they don't use the same notes, so that's fine).

If you have a single trombone which was being used as part of the chords, but then comes out to do its own melody, it will count as a separate instrument as well.

Once again: If you're unsure of something, feel free to send us what you're unsure about.

so to complicate things further...

If i have, lets just say 4 instruments one being a trombone section and they are all playing at once, then, i only play 3 of them, including the trombone, but then split the trombone to play two melodic melodies. This would be 5 instruments as the overall composition is dependent on 5 instruments, not 4 even though 4 are only playing at once.

Sorry about this, im being a bit of an ass, but im making sure that im being as thorough as possible. (should have seen me on the web chat to a hosting guy yesterday about prices)

BBS Signature
Rhoder
Rhoder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 12:54:28 Reply

Am I able to use a synthesizer with different sounds (as one instrument) for my entree?

three of my mates and I are going to record some stuff for this one.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to N G M T - '13 Edition 2013-05-17 12:59:12 Reply

At 5/17/13 04:00 AM, Step wrote: Is mayonnaise an instrument?

Best post 2013.

Also, I'm recommending Mich's new uploading website http://instaud.io/

It's simple as fuck. Upload, then download. Better than most uploading sites IMO.

lel