00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My SOPA Post

100,198 Views | 360 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:27:53

At 12/20/11 03:26 PM, Ocelotlikespie wrote: It's called SOPA, eh? That's "soup" in Portuguese. And it looks like that soup exceeds in its levels of sodium chloride.

seriously dude this isn't the time for making jokes.

why am i holding a candy cane <_<

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:29:13

At 12/20/11 03:27 PM, Aquilar wrote:
At 12/20/11 03:26 PM, Ocelotlikespie wrote: It's called SOPA, eh? That's "soup" in Portuguese. And it looks like that soup exceeds in its levels of sodium chloride.

i used to make jokes... no i can't do it... sorry...

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:35:30

One thing to keep in mind, it's a cynical viewpoint but also very likely that politicians are entertaining SOPA for so long because they are raising TONS of money for reelection from the powerful lobbying groups on both sides. Apparently entertainment companies (for SOPA) have outspent Internet Companies (against SOPA).

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:37:22

Nice going Tom lets do this everybody! >:D

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:38:00

great good bye internet I hope you next reincarnation is not in america

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:38:46

At 12/20/11 03:35 PM, TomFulp wrote: One thing to keep in mind, it's a cynical viewpoint but also very likely that politicians are entertaining SOPA for so long because they are raising TONS of money for reelection from the powerful lobbying groups on both sides. Apparently entertainment companies (for SOPA) have outspent Internet Companies (against SOPA).

a measly .3 mil? cmon google... how can my new religion let me down like that...

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:45:25

Tom, lets just move to Toronto. Toronto is pretty rad.

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:55:07

Thank you for devoting a post to this Tom, it will most likely actually make a slight impact. I have been pestering people on Facebook for the past month or two to sign petitions against this, it's a terrible thing that will basically censor the internet as the Government sees fit, as you already know. Belghghhh, it's just really frustrating.

It's kind of funny how you made Chinagrounds as a joke, and now we could basically have worse than that.

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 15:58:05

there's an idea lets all get together and make a flash movie and song to go with it to raise awareness?

like this guy did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w6GtwOvn WM&feature=player_embedded

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:04:10

And this is why I massive search the Audio Portal when we make a movie. SOPA is just stupid, so stupid. I hate all this kind of laws. I hope people will do something to stop it.

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:09:55

My emoticon is how you, the reader should feel about this subject.

It is going to stifle competition.

The notion of the oligarchy exclusively as a nation governing-body is what's letting this happen in the first place.

Economics and politics are global and trans-national/global now. The geographic/legal lens of the USA gives a skewed notion of what takes place here.

The four major cell phone companies do just as much to rule the everyday lives of US citizens as the government does.

RIAA, and the other corporate few are trying to push the spirit of anti-trust laws in more virulent ways -in my opinion- than Microsoft ever did. The only difference between RIAA, Monsanto, et al, is that instead implementing their reign/policy through a business plan, they're doing it through a Federal government.

People's hypnosis regarding the ethics and reality of a law and country allow this to even be considered. It's like the scene right out of classic movie "Network" where the character Howard Beale receives his epiphany in the board room.

SOPA would give all the weapons to the richest companies and no shields to start-ups.

This bill is beyond the scope of the U.S. Federal government because this is an international bill in nature, due to the global nature of consumerism and business.

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:10:48

At 12/20/11 11:54 AM, TomFulp wrote: you actually need to pay a fee and register an agent to be protected. With SOPA, however, unscrupulous companies will try to shut down entire businesses over complaints that could be resolved with a simple DMCA notice. They'll do it because they are total shitheads who don't give a fuck.:

Sounds like some stupid bullying mafia shake down method of earning profit. (HEH WE'LL PROTECT YOU...FROM US...IF YOU PAYS US.)
what these idiots don't realize is you cant privatize or label a price on the entire internet.
Great topic tom.

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:13:32

If anyone is keeping up with the entire process, the SOPA bill has been canceled. Reason: Heavy public outcry. Voice does matter, but no one has one. because of this, they expect us to follow along like mindless sheep every time, because it has yet to change.

Anyway, the bill has been canceled, at least until 2012. If we keep pushing it will never get passed.

As far as the NDAA, it is stated many times in the bill that it cannot, will not, and may never be altered to affect existing citizens of the united states, unless they are directly affiliated with terrorists in the 2001 attack, so you can tell the government to fuck off as much as you want (doesn't mean they won't change it anyway; they're a bunch of morons)...

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:14:59

Despite our opposition to SOPA, we strongly believe that you don't have any reason to post unlicensed material on NG in the first place. There's a whole Audio Portal full of musicians who would love to have their music featured, as well as an Art Portal full of artists who make amazing transitions into games and movies. Why promote the wares of a massive consolidated industry when you can support individuals working alongside you on NG?

In all seriousness, those were some great words. If I ever get the chance to make an animation someday, I'll be sure to include Audio Portal music.

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:16:18

if you want more about the impact of SOPA and PIPA

another link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8f JM

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:22:10

At 12/20/11 03:27 PM, Aquilar wrote:

I'm sorry. I understand the seriousness of the matter at hand. I realize the whole Internet might be compromised. But make no mistake, my joke was not a random one. It was a critic. You see, whoever decreted Bill S.978 was faced with the opposition of many American citizens and so the bill wasn't passed. Here's where the sodium chloride comes into place. That person got salty, so he made up a new bill, the protect IP bill, with traces of S.978. And it all came to this now. The battle for the Internet.
I know now that perhaps I sounded like a jerk. I'll think twice before posting something from now on.

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:23:33

Tom, I altready took the liberty of doing on video on SOPA and passed it aroudn to all my friends on YouTube about it. Hopefully we can get enough people to yell and scream to the governemt that not only would SOPA break the internet, but it would cost the US billions! If it passes, I think Americans should riot...

I will take that useless piece of information, and deposit it on the Merry-Go-Round or Whoop-Dee-Doo!

www.youtube.com/user/BygPhattyPlus

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:24:04

At 12/20/11 12:00 PM, Carbonwater wrote:
America.
Oh okay.

yah why would you care, your country already neutered your internet. lol

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:28:15

It's being discussed again tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed dudettes

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:29:22

I think this track in the Audio Portal helps sum up a lot of this malarkey. http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 56649

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:32:55

The bill was cancelled, I'm gonna assume it's NOT gonna be discussed tomorrow? I could be misunderstand that.
Any way, the current NDAA bill reads:

"(e) AUTHORITIES.-Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States.

(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.- (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.-The requirement to detain a person in militaty custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States. (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.-The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States"

If it was rejected, it was not included in the current bill as it was passed.

Again I could be wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:37:57

Good thing my IP is set in Canada, as well as my Subnet and such.

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:38:31

So was this the reason why all my audio got deleted?

$$$ | Strawberry Dodge | Abusive Reviews! | Sig by TheDingo

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:44:39

At 12/20/11 12:28 PM, DeadEndWorldStudios wrote: Dose useing Sprites fall under the piracy thing?
It really comes down to how individual companies want to handle how their IP is used on-line, but yes, under SOPA we could be shut down for having sprite movies.

Thanks for the info Tom, I really hope it dosn't come to that.

Sig by ToastedToastyToast

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 16:53:24

Hopefully SOPA will be nothing more then an unpleasant memory rather then a reality.

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 17:00:54

Seriously.

My SOPA Post

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 17:02:45

At 12/20/11 04:38 PM, Hacsev wrote: So was this the reason why all my audio got deleted?

No, because SOPA isn't law yet. A DCMA request may have been the culprit but we're talking about government intervention here.

But Newgrounds is fully within its rights to have a stricter policy than base-level legislation. We want to foster more original artistic endeavors. A song in the audio portal may very well be safe in regards to DCMA or SOPA but still be taken down by the site, not to cave to liability fears, but to foster more original works.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 17:05:24

Um... this is just dumb!

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 17:05:52

At 12/20/11 04:32 PM, GeneralJ wrote: The bill was cancelled, I'm gonna assume it's NOT gonna be discussed tomorrow?

It wasn't cancelled.........what does cancel even mean

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to My SOPA Post 2011-12-20 17:09:43

It better not ever pass...

corporate greed at its finest... *sigh*

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature