00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What happened to the art forum?

2,836 Views | 38 Replies

What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 21:51:54

Back when I came here in about 2007, i came here and saw AMAZING art, there was great anatomy the shit that would get front paged, EVERYWHERE.

but now it's 2011 and well.....

I'll let you decide on that.

But it was so amazing when I was 10 and came here, the fuck happened?

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 21:56:40

What's wrong with Merol's thread? I personally like the style he has going on.
And there are a lot of really good threads, you're just looking at the most recent. There are hundreds of personal art threads around and about, and loads of activity threads. Just look at what's come from Flood the Portal Friday.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 21:59:39

Art portal happened. A good amount of the people that used to post here posted for the sake of showcasing their stuff and stopped coming when the portal came debuted. That and people grow up, get jobs, don't have time to post on a forum for a bunch of kids to ooo and ahh at there stuff.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:04:50

At 2/4/11 09:59 PM, M-Vero wrote: Art portal happened.

I know all the good shit has been going there to be clicked on a couple of times and never spoken of again.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:13:13

Get hip with the times yo, like cartoon network airing live-action shows, G4 airing cops..

I think you would enjoy conceptart.org better.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:20:31

First of all- "When I was 10" automatically makes your argument less worthwhile. Here's a thought- you've grown up some since then, and what your threshold for what is or isn't "amazing" has changed.

Second of all- the entire point of this thread is to AID art, to HELP people. That purpose is far more suited to people who actually need help than people who are already experts. Don't give the forum shit for having amateurs, because you're missing the point.

Third of all- I've only been here a year, so I don't know how the forum used to be, but what Vero said makes a lot of sense. The forum is no longer a place for people to show off, because people have the portal for that. But I'd say a place intended for constructive criticism is a far more effective place than a place for people to show off.

And lastly, don't insult the people in the forum like that. It's very rude. There's nothing all that bad about Merol's work, as Johnny pointed out, and you just seem like a whiny little kid who has unnecessarily high expectations.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:22:11

The Art Forum grew up...

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:27:05

Going through your post history, you're just a moronic 14 year old that's the same as 95% of the rest of the General forum.
Now I would throw in a bunch of links for you to see good art, but you're obviously too stupid to scroll down the forum page and look yourself, so why bother?

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:34:13

At 2/4/11 10:27 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Going through your post history, you're just a moronic 14 year old that's the same as 95% of the rest of the General forum.
Now I would throw in a bunch of links for you to see good art, but you're obviously too stupid to scroll down the forum page and look yourself, so why bother?

Seriously though i've been through all the recent threads on page 1 & i've clicked through ALOT OF THEM & most of them suck total shit, if I want good art i'd just go to the art portal.

also from when I was 10 everything was at least on this scale.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:51:31

At 2/4/11 10:34 PM, IronJesus wrote: if I want good art i'd just go to the art portal.

Then why don't you just go there and stop fucking pandering us with your douchebag attitude?

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:53:07

At 2/4/11 10:51 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 2/4/11 10:34 PM, IronJesus wrote: if I want good art i'd just go to the art portal.
Then why don't you just go there and stop fucking pandering us with your douchebag attitude?

Because this place used to be awesome, and I would like it to be awesome again but that's not going to happen.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:54:26

At 2/4/11 10:34 PM, IronJesus wrote:

Seriously though i've been through all the recent threads on page 1 & i've clicked through ALOT OF THEM & most of them suck total shit, if I want good art i'd just go to the art portal.

My god, you're an asshole. Just go to the damned art portal already. Like I said before, you're missing the point.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 22:55:10

there have always been bad threads
there have always been good threads.
I don't really see the purpose of comparing old to new and passing judgment when you don't even participate in the forum

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:00:01

At 2/4/11 10:22 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: The Art Forum grew up...

I'll never grow up, never!
I wanna stay 23 forever!

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:00:37

At 2/4/11 10:53 PM, IronJesus wrote: Because this place used to be awesome, and I would like it to be awesome again but that's not going to happen.

I've seen the art forum back in the day. It had good threads, and it had shitty threads, JUST LIKE TODAY. I KNOW RIGHT, WHAT A FUCKING REVELATION?
Also, you were 10 at this time, probably everything seemed awesome to you back then. Now you're grown up and learned the difference between what's actually awesome and what appears awesome at first but turns out not to be.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:08:44

Guys you need to calm down. We all have our perspectives and should be treated objectively. As I remember back in the day I haven't even made an account the forum was about the same with one difference: there were more people. And as far as I go, More people = More skilled artists. So yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:12:05

At 2/4/11 09:51 PM, IronJesus wrote: Back when I came here in about 2007, i came here and saw AMAZING art, there was great anatomy the shit that would get front paged, EVERYWHERE.

but now it's 2011 and well.....

I'll let you decide on that.

But it was so amazing when I was 10 and came here, the fuck happened?

Honestly I'm not surprised that me coming to the art forum the first time in two years I saw this thread, I use to submit some of my art and shit here on my first account and then things got really shitty and the rules became really fucking uptight (I'm thinking of certain people here, I hope they've changed) I haven't drawn anything in ages but people seemed to like some of my robot drawings and effects so maybe if the people aren't fucking jerks I'll come back here with newer stuff

Just chillin'

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:14:16

At 2/4/11 11:08 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Guys you need to calm down. We all have our perspectives and should be treated objectively. As I remember back in the day I haven't even made an account the forum was about the same with one difference: there were more people. And as far as I go, More people = More skilled artists. So yeah.

That doesn't change the fact that he's being quite rude.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:15:31

At 2/4/11 11:12 PM, Saren wrote: Honestly I'm not surprised that me coming to the art forum the first time in two years I saw this thread, I use to submit some of my art and shit here on my first account and then things got really shitty and the rules became really fucking uptight (I'm thinking of certain people here, I hope they've changed) I haven't drawn anything in ages but people seemed to like some of my robot drawings and effects so maybe if the people aren't fucking jerks I'll come back here with newer stuff

Yeah, there was a period when people threw the rulebook at newcomers. It was a dark time.....
But go ahead, feel free to come and post some art. Everyone is welcome to do so, and we're always happy to give critiques and tips to help you improve with your art.
The more the merrier.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:17:57

At 2/4/11 11:14 PM, Luxembourg wrote: That doesn't change the fact that he's being quite rude.

But we didn't had to get angry or anything. He thinks what he wants to think. All I care about is that this forum is alive and going. I won't get flustered because some kid just came here and said: "Meh, the art forum is ghey!" I just treat him as a kid and say yes. He doesn't know any better.

go on son, say you're sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:24:05

I don't see why this thread is still going.

It's just some 13 year old punk thinking the world isn't good enough for him.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:24:26

At 2/4/11 11:17 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: But we didn't had to get angry or anything.

Yeah, I've been studying for an exam all day. Studying makes me get all angry on the forum.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:37:58

At 2/4/11 11:24 PM, Aigis wrote: I don't see why this thread is still going.

It's just some 13 year old punk thinking the world isn't good enough for him.

if something exist it's good enough for the world, it just doesn't matter.\

Like how i don't matter and you don't matter and nothing matters.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-04 23:58:15

At 2/4/11 11:37 PM, IronJesus wrote: if something exist it's good enough for the world, it just doesn't matter.\
Like how i don't matter and you don't matter and nothing matters.

Existentialism - what's the point?

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-05 00:05:03

You might want to think about what you're saying before you go ahead and judge the entirety of the Art Forum based on your opinion of the quality of the works displayed in here.

First, and probably most of all, because that makes you an ass. Just keep that in mind.

The Art Forum is here to help people improve their art. It's always been here to do that. It's not here as a simple showcase, or to let the other forumers know how good at art you think you are, it's here as a resource, a community, and a step in a artist's improvement.

This is a community, a place to learn, and to chat about whatever the hell artists chat about nowdays. Styles. I don't know. It's not here as a gallery, it's here to get down and dirty, spread out what needs to be done, and do it.

So if you're coming here simply to view amazing arts, don't. This is not the place to do that. It never will be. We have an Art Portal. If you're not here to help others, get helped, or simply to bum around viewing decent works which people do try on - not masterpieces, not mind-blowing works, but down-to-earth efforts, then you shouldn't be here. End of story.

So yeah, despite whatever you may have thought when you were 10 fucking years old (I mean, seriously?) this is what the Art Forum is, whatever it was to begin with.

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-05 01:06:37

Thank you to the OP!

I agree that the forum is to showcase our best work, while I also agree that it is a place to give advise on how to improve each other's techniques.

What we face is having 2min halfass work being posted and getting praised, yet people who are doing their best work is leaving due to either the portal or by emo critics complaining about the work not being perfect. I had to take vacation time off from having my work bashed from day 1 over body form errors or the tools I like using, hell had recently one guy state that my artwork is "freaky and creepy" in a bad way. I come back to find rookie's work with body form errors and even more sloppy techniques getting kudos. It really is hypocrite b.s.

Still I keep trying to improve and perfect my own style of art and I think that is all the OP is asking.

What happened to the art forum?

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-05 01:56:51

At 2/5/11 01:06 AM, wesmeadow wrote: Thank you to the OP!

I agree that the forum is to showcase our best work, while I also agree that it is a place to give advise on how to improve each other's techniques.

The art portal is for the best works. Forum is for wip's, collections, personal art threads, competitions, etc.

What we face is having 2min halfass work being posted and getting praised, yet people who are doing their best work is leaving due to either the portal or by emo critics complaining about the work not being perfect.

Show me a "2min halfass work" that's being praised, and then show me an emo critic.

I come back to find rookie's work with body form errors and even more sloppy techniques getting kudos. It really is hypocrite b.s.

SHOW ME THESE WORKS GETTING PRAISED THAT HAVE ANATOMICAL ERRORS

Still I keep trying to improve and perfect my own style of art and I think that is all the OP is asking.

Congratulations, you've just made yourself look like an ass, while trying to show off your own work!

Your prize is nothing. You get nothing.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-05 02:39:26

Hahaha you guys >:) trld

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-05 03:17:16

At 2/5/11 01:06 AM, wesmeadow wrote: Lol Rant.

Oh you're so funny. We all know that you're only saying that because you can't take critiques. And you think that it's unfair when it's not. And why is there pic that looks photomanipulated? I can be wrong though.
; You're creepy. :3

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to the art forum? 2011-02-05 03:24:56

At 2/5/11 01:56 AM, DemocracyFTW wrote:
At 2/5/11 01:06 AM, wesmeadow wrote: Thank you to the OP!

The art portal is for the best works. Forum is for wip's, collections, personal art threads, competitions, etc.

What we face is having 2min halfass work being posted and getting praised, yet people who are doing their best work is leaving due to either the portal or by emo critics complaining about the work not being perfect.
Show me a "2min halfass work" that's being praised, and then show me an emo critic.

I come back to find rookie's work with body form errors and even more sloppy techniques getting kudos. It really is hypocrite b.s.
SHOW ME THESE WORKS GETTING PRAISED THAT HAVE ANATOMICAL ERRORS

Congratulations, you've just made yourself look like an ass, while trying to show off your own work!

Your prize is nothing. You get nothing.

I am showing what I feel has been my own attempts at improving my own style.
I am showing the OP that not everyone is doing quick pencil on notebook paper sketches.

If I name names then I would be an ass. Look for yourself as it is not hidden and is out there in threads.