00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SNiter27 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,085,463 Views | 77,370 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-08 22:51:29

For King Crimson, there's a lot of albums I'd give at least 4 and 5 stars.

In the Court of the Crimson King is their most well known, and it is excellent, but Red and Lark's Tongues in Aspic are both better albums. Other great albums are in the Wake of Poseidon, Starless and Bible Black, Discipline, Thrak, and the Power to Believe. The worst of all of those is still between a 4 and a 4 1/2 star album to me.

Three of a Perfect Pair has its boring parts, but it's decent overall, plus the title track is awesome. I hardly listen to Lizard, Islands, or Beat. They were okay, though. The only album I still haven't heard is the ConstruKCtion of Light.

For Yes, I think good starters are the Yes Album and Fragile. If you like those, then I'd move on to Close to the Edge, I guess.

At 5 hours ago, Tobi wrote: Hey guys, let's not forget Baroness'es First and Second EPs.

Those were also awesome.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-08 23:47:45

I just downloaded a few albums. If you know these, tell me what you think about them. And if you don't know them, check them out !

Om - Pilgrimage (Stoner Doom)
Ulcerate - Of Fracture and Failure (Tech Death)
Janaza - Burning Quran Ceremony (Black Metal)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (Doom Metal)
Forgotten Woods (Black Metal)
Crystal Viper (Heavy Metal)

At 1 hour ago, Anti-pie wrote: All this talk about King Crimson going on and yet I haven't ever listened to one song by them yet. Here I come youtube.

In the Wake of Poseidon is a great album :) Check it out !

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 08:23:17

At 9 hours ago, Anti-pie wrote: All this talk about King Crimson going on and yet I haven't ever listened to one song by them yet. Here I come youtube.

Listen to something from the debut album. The most ideal way to get into them.

At 8 hours ago, HeavenDuff wrote: Crystal Viper (Heavy Metal)

I have Metal Nation. Not highly original but still a lot of fun. Gladiator, Die by the Blade is the best song on the album by far. Anyone who isn't all that into power/traditional metal won't find much else from it.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 16:40:04

At 18 hours ago, Anti-pie wrote: All this talk about King Crimson going on and yet I haven't ever listened to one song by them yet. Here I come youtube.

I also do not know anything about him not even a song

Metal Hell

The cold wind and the snow of this night, whips my heart of pure ice

My cold blood is running through my veins, but my soul burns like an everlasting flame

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 17:10:45

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll hunt down those albums ASAP.

Also, I am almost done with my discog review of Manilla Road, and I am looking for my next big reviewing project before I finish this one up. Any relatively obscure bands whose discographies I should review? A few of my ideas are Malevolent Creation, Angel Dust, Blaze Bayley's solo career, and Grave Digger. Any other suggestions would be welcome or input on which one I should do next is also welcome!

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 17:25:45

Meshuggah leaked one of their new songs, you can listen to it at http://iamaleak.com/

I can't get any of the easy use html buttons to work.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 18:41:33

Oh, so I managed to get my hands on Brocas Helm's debut album the other day. There's nothing really remarkable in there, just some solid 80s heavy metal. But what made it stand out for me was the production; it's charmingly awful, even for back then. Like I say, though, it's charming, makes it feel more genuine, if you know what I mean.

Google also informs me that they broke up last year, which has kind of put a damper on my evening.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 20:10:23

So, on June 29th and 30th i'm going to Ohio with a caravan of Massachusetts and Rhode Island metalheads for the Warriors of Metal Festival. The lineup:

MANILLA ROAD
HELSTAR
EXXPLORER
LAZARUS A.D.
VINDICATOR
MYSTIC-FORCE
TWISTED TOWER DIRE
BENEDICTUM
ANCIENT CREATION
FIAKRA
ARGUS
SINISTER REALM
POWER THEORY
FORTE'
DARK DESIGN
POSSESSOR
THE LAST ALLIANCE
DEGRADATION
MACHINAGE
BORROWED TIME
AMADIS
THORHAMMER
FIERCE ATMOSPHERES
+ More bands T.B.A.

Tickets are $15 for anyone under 17, tickets are $50 for anyone 17 and up. You can also buy four-packs of adult tickets for $40 each and save $40 between the four tickets.

Is there any chance i'm seeing any of you guys there? :)

Also, Sepultura + Death Angel + Krisiun + Havok full tour details.

Nuclear Assault - Brain Death

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 20:22:56

At 3 hours ago, rockereaper wrote:
At 18 hours ago, Anti-pie wrote: All this talk about King Crimson going on and yet I haven't ever listened to one song by them yet. Here I come youtube.
I also do not know anything about him not even a song

"him"?

It's bad enough so many of you guys don't know their stuff, but jeez.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 20:37:52

At 43 seconds ago, Sense-Offender wrote: It's bad enough so many of you guys don't know their stuff, but jeez.

It kinda suprises me that more metalheads aren't into them. Larks' Tongues in Aspic and their last three albums could be pretty metallic at times.

Some will disagree, but I think Beat is also a very good album to get into. People tend to hate for how poppy it is, but thats the reason I love it. I'm suprised it didn't make any hit singles. "Sartori in Tangier" is just as fitting on a dance floor as it is the living room.

Anyways, listen to Sensey. He already listed some of the best gateway albums. Also try to look into some of the members side projects. Robert Fripp has a lot of good drone, New Wave, and other cool stuff. Levin is hard to describe, he's very metallic and grungy, has a lot of spoken word, and a good deal of ambient. Oh, and Stravinsky covers, ftw. Belew is kind of like noise rock, but more in the sense of Hendrix noisy. Hard to describe, just like all the projects. Bill Bruford has a pretty cool jazz side project, filled with polyrhythms, polymeters, and the like.

Also, somewhat related to Crimson, you guys chould check out a prog band named Frupp. Produced by former KC member Ian McDonald, and the title is a knockk off of the name "Fripp". Pretty cool stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 20:39:06

At 9 minutes ago, Sense-Offender wrote: "him"?

It's bad enough so many of you guys don't know their stuff, but jeez.

yeh, i saw it after i posted it, i´ve failed, i´m not perfect dude
Also i started to listen King Crimson and it´s good but i don´t like to much the progressive rock

Metal Hell

My cold blood is running through my veins, but my soul burns like an everlasting flame

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 20:56:45

I saw Alestorm tonight but it turned out to be the weakest act. Then again, I had fucking idiots in the moshpit taking up the half of the crowd so I had to move to a spot where you could barely even see them. Out of all the shows I've been to, this one was out of control. I expect Primordial fans to be more mature than Alestorm fans since I intend to see them in May at the same venue.

At 2 hours ago, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Oh, so I managed to get my hands on Brocas Helm's debut album the other day. There's nothing really remarkable in there, just some solid 80s heavy metal. But what made it stand out for me was the production; it's charmingly awful, even for back then. Like I say, though, it's charming, makes it feel more genuine, if you know what I mean.

It's the weakest album by far. Black Death is a huge improvement from it but Defenders of the Crown beats them all.

At 41 minutes ago, AniMetal wrote: So, on June 29th and 30th i'm going to Ohio with a caravan of Massachusetts and Rhode Island metalheads for the Warriors of Metal Festival. The lineup:

MANILLA ROAD

Instant jelly.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 21:06:23

At 49 minutes ago, AniMetal wrote: So, on June 29th and 30th i'm going to Ohio with a caravan of Massachusetts and Rhode Island metalheads for the Warriors of Metal Festival. The lineup:

MANILLA ROAD
HELSTAR
EXXPLORER
LAZARUS A.D.
VINDICATOR
MYSTIC-FORCE
TWISTED TOWER DIRE
BENEDICTUM
ANCIENT CREATION
FIAKRA
ARGUS
SINISTER REALM
POWER THEORY
FORTE'
DARK DESIGN
POSSESSOR
THE LAST ALLIANCE
DEGRADATION
MACHINAGE
BORROWED TIME
AMADIS
THORHAMMER
FIERCE ATMOSPHERES
+ More bands T.B.A.

Sweet line-up
and i know Degradation
the first band i played in played a show with them and we befriended their bassist Steve Holy
we were going to record a demo a few months later with them but we never got around to it and we broke up later...
i wish i could go to this and catch up with them, but i dont have way to get to Ohio...

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 21:46:07

At 1 hour ago, AniMetal wrote: So, on June 29th and 30th i'm going to Ohio with a caravan of Massachusetts and Rhode Island metalheads for the Warriors of Metal Festival. The lineup:
Tickets are $15 for anyone under 17, tickets are $50 for anyone 17 and up. You can also buy four-packs of adult tickets for $40 each and save $40 between the four tickets.

Is there any chance i'm seeing any of you guys there? :)

I actually might be there. Still unsure at this time, but....Manilla Road? I really want to go.

Godzilla Film Fan Club

Proud Demon residing in the METAL HELL!

Lay down your soul for the god's rock n' roll!

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 23:23:38

At 1 hour ago, Zodir wrote: I actually might be there. Still unsure at this time, but....Manilla Road? I really want to go.

M'hmm, i've also heard a lot of rumors that Jag Panzer will be getting back together to headline the fest and shoot a live DVD there. No confirmation yet, but if this is true, then that's awesome - especially if they get Chris Broderick to take a break from Megadeth to rehearse and whatnot for the show. I guess we'll see what happens.

But yeah, anyone here who is planning on going should totally go. The two days of the fest are the 29th and 30th of June, with a pre-party on the 28th.

Blind Guardian - Lord of the Rings

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 23:33:08

At 3 hours ago, AniMetal wrote: So, on June 29th and 30th i'm going to Ohio with a caravan of Massachusetts and Rhode Island metalheads for the Warriors of Metal Festival.

I don't know one single band on that line up. Suggestions sir?

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-09 23:53:45

At 18 minutes ago, Anti-pie wrote:
At 3 hours ago, AniMetal wrote: So, on June 29th and 30th i'm going to Ohio with a caravan of Massachusetts and Rhode Island metalheads for the Warriors of Metal Festival.
I don't know one single band on that line up. Suggestions sir?

well id suggest Manilla Road (and im pretty sure Bahamut can back me up on that)
and i guess Lazarus A.D. if you want...

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 00:06:20

quick question
does anyone here listen to Van Halen?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 06:39:43

Manilla Road is just awesome traditional metal, I suppose. Bahamut is a much bigger fan of them than I, he can recommend you their shit. I plan on getting more into them over the next few months since they're headlining. (If Jag Panzer are announced, they're co-headlining at most)

Helstar is a traditional metal band that evolved into more power metal. They're pretty good. Personally, my favorite albums by them are A Distant Thunder(1988) and Nosferatu(1989).

Exxplorer is a absolute GEM of a traditional metal/early power metal band. Their debut Symphonies of Steel(1984) is regarded as a cult classic. I enjoy their 2011 album as well. I haven't listened to their 90's albums yet though, but am going to later this week.

Lazarus A.D. is a new thrash metal band, they're kind of groove metal-esque as well in the vein of Cowboys From Hell(Pantera) or Exhorder.

Machinage is a new thrash metal band from Brazil. They released their debut album in 2011 and this will be their debut America show.

These are legitimately the only bands I know. But I love Helstar and Exxplorer so much that i'm going just for them, and Manilla Road who I intend to get more into. I plan on checking out every band playing eventually however.

At 6 hours ago, Viper50 wrote: quick question

Nope. Absolutely not.

Actually in all honesty, besides "Hot for Teacher" and the other Van Halen radio classics, I actually haven't listened to Van Halen. But I heard their new album is supposed to be really good, except the song it's using for a music video which is supposed to be awful. (Which is funny to me)

Also, guys, is it just me or does having to log in BEFORE posting throw you off? I'm used to pressing "reply" and then quickly filling in my info for about 5 seconds... not filling in my info and waiting another 30 seconds for the post-page to load. -.-

Absolute silence since it's 6:40 AM here.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 07:49:48

At 7 hours ago, Viper50 wrote: quick question

Yes, but only a little.
I have only 2 albums of them (1984 and Van Halen)

Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 08:43:15

At 15 hours ago, Zodir wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll hunt down those albums ASAP.

Also, I am almost done with my discog review of Manilla Road, and I am looking for my next big reviewing project before I finish this one up.

You still have five left (six if including After Midnight Live) so you still have a fair amount to do before you're done.

Any relatively obscure bands whose discographies I should review?

You know, it's hard to think of an underground band with a discography as prolific as Manilla Road's. Although not a band I'd see as underground, a Grave Digger discography review would be swell.

At 12 hours ago, AniMetal wrote:

More to add.

HELSTAR
TWISTED TOWER DIRE
ARGUS
SINISTER REALM

FUUUUUUUUCK! Now I feel like going to America just for this.

At 8 hours ago, Viper50 wrote: quick question

I only have the debut album and that's about it.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 13:23:59

okay i asked about the van halen thing because i bought A Different Kind Of Truth the day it came out
and i like it
i mean granted its not the best album they've made with David Lee Roth
in my opinion its about as good as maybe Diver Down or Fair Warning
granted i only have a different kind of truth and their first album...

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 14:28:02

I just got SYL's self title which completes my SYL discography and ZZ top Eliminator. Was gonna get Led Zeppelin I but they only had the case which had their 4th one in it since they both are labeled on the case and CD Led Zeppelin. The store I go to buys and sells used CD's so I guess they didn't pay much attention to it when they bought it off from whoever sold it to them.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 14:33:55

Van halen was my favorite band at some point when I was 13. I don't listen to them anymore though. Actually I always found the vocals and lyrics to be off-putting, which is too bad since Eddie Van Halen is such a great guitarist. There's this polarity of quality within their music.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-10 15:00:03

Oh yeah Animetal I'll check them out.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-11 00:00:03

well im bored
anyone have any bands i should listen to or download stuff by?
or anything like that

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-11 05:56:02

At 15 hours ago, Anti-pie wrote: I just got SYL's self title which completes my SYL discography and ZZ top Eliminator.

Excellent choice for SYL for sure. I feel the self-titled album is the best out of the five they did. Most chaotic and it's non-stop from start to finish. Alien comes as a close second for them.

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-11 13:42:16

shit is happening real fast again.
shredded my fingertips working on some new tunes.
new tunes coming soon

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-11 15:28:55

At 15 hours ago, Viper50 wrote: well im bored
or anything like that

Do you have a last.fm account so we may know what your tastes are in general ?

Response to Metal Hell 2012-02-11 15:32:04

At 15 hours ago, Viper50 wrote: well im bored
or anything like that

might be an idea to listen to the best metal album of 2011, that nobody has heard of for some reason