00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MssLibitina just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Videogames art?

2,265 Views | 40 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 00:26:01

I kinda thought everything was art.

PhantomMask - Kick-ass teenager

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 03:26:14

At 6/28/10 08:30 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
At 6/28/10 06:50 PM, WaterShake wrote:
At 6/28/10 03:32 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
At 6/28/10 11:36 AM, Chdonga wrote: Video games aren't art. That's like saying photography is art. Not matter how beautiful the music and graphics are, that won't make the game art. You saw the Mona Lisa in a video game? That doesn't make video games art, it doesn't make that specific game art either. It just means there is art in the game.
There's nothing artistic about pushing buttons and there never will be.
Your not seeing it in the before process of a video game..Pressing the buttons is not art but staring with your eyes is not art either. It takes time to sculpt the character, then you have to color it in.
I think your missing the point of art. Art isn't about how well something is drawn, it's about what it expresses. Sure, the soldiers in Call of Duty might look realistic, but they don't have any significance or depth.
Why even bring up call of duty I could careless for that game non the less call it art.

Because I think it's by far the most popular video game series, and it's the first one that came to mind.

Consider that game to be more of a military lesson. Not all games look artistic but some games are based around art

Can you name some of these games based around art? Ridge Racer: Picasso edition? Sonic and Mario Do Cubism? :P Nah joking aside, seriously, which games are based around art?

:and you can create art within the game...What wouldent be art in a game where you create it?

Brining up the idea of creating art within a video game is completely irrelevant as thats a different subject.

Creating art within a video game would be the creation of art using video games as a medium. It doesn't make them art, do you call a pencil art? or a paintbrush?

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 03:29:09

At 6/29/10 03:26 AM, WaterShake wrote:
At 6/28/10 11:36 AM, Chdonga wrote:
Why even bring up call of duty I could careless for that game non the less call it art.
Because I think it's by far the most popular video game series, and it's the first one that came to mind.

Consider that game to be more of a military lesson. Not all games look artistic but some games are based around art

Can you name some of these games based around art? Ridge Racer: Picasso edition? Sonic and Mario Do Cubism? :P Nah joking aside, seriously, which games are based around art?

and you can create art within the game...What wouldent be art in a game where you create it?
Brining up the idea of creating art within a video game is completely irrelevant as thats a different subject.

Creating art within a video game would be the creation of art using video games as a medium. It doesn't make them art, do you call a pencil art? or a paintbrush?

oh wow, quote fail, hopefully it should be easy to differentiate between my words and Classic's. If not, heres what I meant to say in response to his reply.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 05:27:22

Personally i think video games are not less of an art than average day cinema is. But then, I don't call The Dark Knight art, no matter how good it was.

However, there are some games out there with really artistic levels (can't think of an example right now), where the construction really is awe inspiring. Perhaps, the scene of a temple in a Zelda or Final fantasy game. Also, some point and click flash games are art, though.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 07:59:36

Video games aren't really an art, but they do have very artistic moments, such as the story of Metal Gear, the art of Yoshi's Story, everything about Rez...

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 11:00:18

At 6/29/10 03:29 AM, WaterShake wrote:
At 6/29/10 03:26 AM, WaterShake wrote:
At 6/28/10 11:36 AM, Chdonga wrote:

and you can create art within the game...What wouldent be art in a game where you create it?

oh wow, quote fail, hopefully it should be easy to differentiate between my words and Classic's. If not, heres what I meant to say in response to his reply.

Ok well Im going to take you back to the retro days when art made one of its first appearances in a video game form, This game was called MarioPaint. Yes it was a verybasic game and even paint on the computer is probly better but it still was based around art. Also if you dident see last years E3 with the project natal where they painted an elephant just using there bodys placed in the right areas. (Not going to lie I dont really care for it) but still you can call it art.

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 11:19:16

Everyone in this thread has a very narrow perception of art. Art is not just the things that you would expect to see in an art class, such as paintings and sculptures, but anything that influences you in any emotional way, including architecture, photography, cinematography, and video games.

"Art is the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way to affect the senses or emotions."
The argument therefore is not Are video games art, but rather What is your definition of art? From what I can tell most people on newgrounds are being overly strict, but that's their choice.

If you wanted a similar discussion, you could debate the meaning of perfection or the meaning of the word "normal". Art is self defined.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 12:53:14

At 6/29/10 11:00 AM, ClassicWiseguy wrote: This game was called Mario Paint.... it still was based around art.

Yes, Mario Paint is something you can use to make art, but so is a canvas and a paintbrush, does that make the paintbrush and canvas art? No. It just makes it a medium for making art.

Also if you didn't see last years E3 with the project natal...

It's called the Kinect, not Project Natal. Stop calling it that more so retarded name.

...where they painted an elephant just using there bodies placed in the right areas. (Not going to lie I don't really care for it) but still you can call it art.

Yes, what they made was art, not the video game. Unless the video game console or the disk was a giant painting or sculpture, it's not art.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-29 18:44:58

At 6/29/10 12:53 PM, Chdonga wrote:
At 6/29/10 11:00 AM, ClassicWiseguy wrote: This game was called Mario Paint.... it still was based around art.
Yes, Mario Paint is something you can use to make art, but so is a canvas and a paintbrush, does that make the paintbrush and canvas art? No. It just makes it a medium for making art.
It's called the Kinect, not Project Natal. Stop calling it that more so retarded name.
...where they painted an elephant just using there bodies placed in the right areas. (Not going to lie I don't really care for it) but still you can call it art.
Yes, what they made was art, not the video game. Unless the video game console or the disk was a giant painting or sculpture, it's not art.

ok so it was art? The Consoles not art were talking the game itself can be artistic.The Canvas isent art...but the painted canvas is, the disk is not art but what the disk holds is art.

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-30 02:43:29

At 6/29/10 06:44 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
At 6/29/10 12:53 PM, Chdonga wrote:
ok so it was art? The Consoles not art were talking the game itself can be artistic.The Canvas isent art...but the painted canvas is, the disk is not art but what the disk holds is art.

Whilst I disagree with what both of you are saying, Classic, you've completely missinterpreted what Chdonga wrote.
He didn't say that video games were are, so in answer to your first "question", in his opinion, no it wasn't art.
"The consoles not art were talking the game itself to be artistic." That sentence makes no sense, i'm not sure what your trying to say.
"The canvas (it shouldn't be capitalised) isn't art...but the painted canvas is" Yes to an extent, you couldn't just paint a line on there and call it art, what you paint would have to have some sort of value beyond what is immediately apparent.
"the disk is not art but what the disk holds is art" No. That still implies that it is the programming code that is artistic, incorrect. As Chdonga explained, the "art" comes from the user.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-30 02:51:56