00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

maxbombolo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Videogames art?

2,266 Views | 40 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Videogames art? 2010-06-27 14:01:42

Ok I just read a small article in Game Informer, and this is kinda old news according to the article that this guy was saying that videogames are not art. That kinda confuses me, if video games arent art at all what would you call a painting in a video game? Would that not resemble art?

Personally I think the man that says video games arent art is an idiot and hates video games for what they are. On that i also do think video games are art, That guy obviously never seen the creation of a videogame i mean have you seen the amazing sketches of the characters and the time it takes to create that character in a 3D form?

I don't know maybe I'm wrong what do you guys think?

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 14:04:03

trolling is a art

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 14:05:36

At 6/27/10 02:04 PM, B4574RD wrote: trolling is a art

If you think this is a troll your a fail.

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 14:25:24

At 6/27/10 02:05 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:

I'm pretty sure he meant the guy that wrote the article was a troll...

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 14:30:58

I think video games are more a form of entertainment than a form of art. Maybe in time they will develop to art but I think right now, they lack the maturity of other art forms.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 15:07:56

The article was longer than it needed to be for sure, it was pretty well summed up in the first two paragraphs and the rest was talking about how stupid people are for listening to him.

FFS, film critic =/= any sort of valid opinion on video games.
Guys not even a good film critic at that.
And that producer or director or whoever it was for Flower should feel bad for dignifying his sorry ass with any sort of comment.

Stuff.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 15:09:01

At 6/27/10 02:25 PM, Corpus-Delicti wrote:
At 6/27/10 02:05 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
I'm pretty sure he meant the guy that wrote the article was a troll...

oh....but no that guys not a troll just an old geezer (probly gay) that dosent believe videogames are art

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 15:10:24

oh....but no that guys not a troll just an old geezer (probly gay) that dosent believe videogames are art

Hes a film critic who thinks he knows something.

Stuff.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 15:23:35

Well why do you guys think video games are art?

Dom they have symbolism? Cultural significance? Thematic depth?

Why are they art?

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 15:48:24

At 6/27/10 03:23 PM, WaterShake wrote: Well why do you guys think video games are art?

Why are they art?

Play Shadow of the Colossus or beat Silent Hill 2 and anyone can understand what art in video games truly is. You can't hand someone Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing and expect them to see the art, just like you can't convince someone that movies are art by handing them Transformers 2.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 15:52:01

At 6/27/10 03:48 PM, TokyoTurtle wrote:
At 6/27/10 03:23 PM, WaterShake wrote: Well why do you guys think video games are art?

Why are they art?
Play Shadow of the Colossus or beat Silent Hill 2

I haven't played these games.

What makes these game artworks as opposed to say Grand Turismo, Oblivion, or Call Of Duty?

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 17:25:49

At 6/27/10 04:58 PM, Crink wrote: Video games are toys

Yeah, I agree, until someone puts forward a convincing argument, i'm sticking with this. Nobody has actually given any evidence to the contrary so far. Slightly disappointing : / I thought a decent debate might get going.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 19:25:56

Programmed Toys with AI and nice effects, Dosent go into the toy catagory though. Games is its own catagory, some artists sees everything as art. most art is a still image but why cant it move a little?

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 19:29:34

At 6/27/10 05:25 PM, WaterShake wrote:
Yeah, I agree, until someone puts forward a convincing argument, i'm sticking with this. Nobody has actually given any evidence to the contrary so far. Slightly disappointing : / I thought a decent debate might get going.

Depends on what you see art as, if you go to a museum and see a picture on a wall it makes you think where it came from who painted it and what does it mean or you make up your own meaning. What if you were to take a still image of a video game and hang it on a wall, then is it art? What if you were to paint a video game character? Can that fall into the art catagory? If your view on art is as limited as you say then theres no convincing you.

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 19:48:27

All components of a videogame consist of different art directions.
You have:

- Creative Writing (Save for games like Pacman etc)
- Concept Art (And thats a real big part)
- 3D Visualisation
- the list goes on..

A videogame as a whole is easily labeled as a "toy", but if you look behind the scenes you will notice there's much more.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 23:10:29

I believe we've had a similar thread a while back. Oh well.

Video games, in its entirety, are considered "toys." Though it's been merged into mainstream for a while, people still view them as "toys" or "hobbies." Nothing more, nothing less. People see them as a waste of time, others a distraction. Which is ironic since many people have careers creating games, whether it be music, art, or programming. While at the same time people think movies are art. Apparently just because games are longer and have user-input that automatically makes them not art. And many aspects of games, like the art, music, and acting, are well... art.

I see video games as a compilation of different aspects of art. Not literally "art" itself, but a compilation. The same could be said about movies with my logic, but hey, I ain't a movie person. I have no opinions on that. :P

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-27 23:22:18

At 6/27/10 03:52 PM, WaterShake wrote:
At 6/27/10 03:48 PM, TokyoTurtle wrote:

Why are they art?
Play Shadow of the Colossus or beat Silent Hill 2
I haven't played these games.

What makes these game artworks as opposed to say Grand Turismo, Oblivion, or Call Of Duty?

You can't argue art. It's all variable to the person. Someone might see art in a macaroni painting, I see it in video games.

Why are movies art and not video games?

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 10:59:06

Too bad theres not one person out there that can say otherwise...Almost like miyamoto and the Zelda timeline.

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 11:36:45

Video games aren't art. That's like saying photography is art. Not matter how beautiful the music and graphics are, that won't make the game art. You saw the Mona Lisa in a video game? That doesn't make video games art, it doesn't make that specific game art either. It just means there is art in the game.
There's nothing artistic about pushing buttons and there never will be.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 15:11:41

Video games in general are not art, but some specific games are. They can resemble different feelings and can guide your emotionsmore than you know. Yeah, pushing buttons isn't an art, but the story and feelings that they convey can be. When you truely find yourself connecting and sharing feelings with the characters in the games, I think that's when they become art. Games like Metal Gear Solid 4, play that gamefrom start tofinish and tell me you didn't feel something once those credits started rolling.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 15:32:41

At 6/28/10 11:36 AM, Chdonga wrote: Video games aren't art. That's like saying photography is art. Not matter how beautiful the music and graphics are, that won't make the game art. You saw the Mona Lisa in a video game? That doesn't make video games art, it doesn't make that specific game art either. It just means there is art in the game.

Your not seeing it in the before process of a video game..Pressing the buttons is not art but staring with your eyes is not art either. It takes time to sculpt the character, then you have to color it in.

Sculptings an art same with coloring, if it be painting or coloring with pencils its still an art. What it sounds to me it Has to be on a peice of paper to be art..Why can't it be in the 3D format? I have yet to see anyone with a convincing arguement. So theres no such thing as 3D art?

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 15:42:13

At 6/27/10 05:25 PM, WaterShake wrote: I thought a decent debate might get going.

Hur hur hur hur hur. Decent debate. Hur hur hur hur hur.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 16:01:00

You've got the definition of art wrong, it's not about the graphics. There are games with shitty graphics that would be art games, whereas those games with amazing graphics would certainly not be art in any way.

Just google "art games".

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 16:44:17

At 6/28/10 04:01 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: You've got the definition of art wrong, it's not about the graphics. There are games with shitty graphics that would be art games, whereas those games with amazing graphics would certainly not be art in any way.

Just google "art games".

gum?

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 16:49:02

Opinions. Everywhere.

Stuff.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 18:50:14

At 6/28/10 03:32 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
At 6/28/10 11:36 AM, Chdonga wrote: Video games aren't art. That's like saying photography is art. Not matter how beautiful the music and graphics are, that won't make the game art. You saw the Mona Lisa in a video game? That doesn't make video games art, it doesn't make that specific game art either. It just means there is art in the game.
Your not seeing it in the before process of a video game..Pressing the buttons is not art but staring with your eyes is not art either. It takes time to sculpt the character, then you have to color it in.

I think your missing the point of art. Art isn't about how well something is drawn, it's about what it expresses. Sure, the soldiers in Call of Duty might look realistic, but they don't have any significance or depth.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 18:55:04

Ebert shouldn't be criticized because he is a film critic, but because he openly admits to never playing a game.

One could launch an assault on movies without seeing one (though I feel sorry for the person who hasn't seen a movie) and he'd be laughed out of the room.

In the end video games don't have that luxury.

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 20:25:42

A man that hasn't played a video game in his life has no business making a comment on the medium's artistic merit as a whole.

His whole argument was based around a large number of misconceptions about both the medium, and the specific video games he was commenting on.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 20:30:02

At 6/28/10 06:50 PM, WaterShake wrote:
At 6/28/10 03:32 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote:
I think your missing the point of art. Art isn't about how well something is drawn, it's about what it expresses. Sure, the soldiers in Call of Duty might look realistic, but they don't have any significance or depth.

Why even bring up call of duty I could careless for that game non the less call it art. Consider that game to be more of a military lesson. Not all games look artistic but some games are based around art and you can create art within the game...What wouldent be art in a game where you create it?

ugh

Response to Videogames art? 2010-06-28 22:17:00

At 6/28/10 03:32 PM, ClassicWiseguy wrote: It takes time to sculpt the character, then you have to color it in.

Sculptings an art same with coloring, if it be painting or coloring with pencils its still an art. What it sounds to me it Has to be on a peice of paper to be art..Why can't it be in the 3D format? So theres no such thing as 3D art?

Tell me, what post are you reading?

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature