00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Guitarists

636,776 Views | 13,330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 10:48:53

Doesn't surprise me, in retrospect the riff sounds pretty far-eastern inspired.

Glad it can be compared to the mighty Joe Satriani :)

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 10:55:56

Oh crap, also, for my rig, i'm probably going to need at least 2 Rocktron All Access Midi Pedals, if not 4 :P

And a couple of Rocktron HEX expression pedals.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 10:56:01

At 8/2/06 12:01 PM, -Nev- wrote:
Yeh but he's not a guitarist/bassist. But yeh, The Fred's amazing.

speaking of queen what about there guitr player brian may. he was and is awesome.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 10:57:23

guitar* player* srry TYPO!

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 11:05:31

I couldn't say what I'd want as a dream rig as the things I've experienced are all lame and not dream worthy. Like crappy Marshall/Line 6 amps. Nothing good. I don't have a bast experience of different amps, guitars, pedals or a wonderful knowledge like Jarry :(.

But based on what I hear in music I'd love an Ibanez - the K7 like J said looks great. And the Jem is a sexy beast to. Although some custom made thing is what I'd love, that'd be sweet :D. Natural finished like Herman Li's.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 11:24:16

You don't neccesarily have to have played something in order to find it desirable :)

Don't worry Nev, you'll eventually get a solid idea of what you want. First and foremost though, you need to work out what kind of sound you want, then you start seeking the gear which will help you achieve this particular sound, then just refine it to your personal taste :).

Also, it helps if you have a good understanding of how to operate effects and amps properly. It took me so long to get out of the 'gain maxed out' rutt. You'll find you can get a decent sound out of most amps geared towards high-gain sounds (such as the cheap and *arguably* nasty Line 6 spider), just by rolling back the gain a little bit, and playing with the EQ alot :).

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 11:30:19

At 8/4/06 11:24 AM, CptnJarrrrrydn wrote: Also, it helps if you have a good understanding of how to operate effects and amps properly. It took me so long to get out of the 'gain maxed out' rutt. You'll find you can get a decent sound out of most amps geared towards high-gain sounds (such as the cheap and *arguably* nasty Line 6 spider), just by rolling back the gain a little bit, and playing with the EQ alot :).

I never really was in the High Gain phase. It sounded too messy and I prefer a nice tight distortion - like Dimebag's and Petrucci's. So my gain is always set to about 7. But yeh. my amps brilliant at the moment - Randall - so I have no problems with it. But I'd like to try out the legend that is a Mesa and some Ibanez's that aren't from the crappy Gio series.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 11:44:19

Yeah, stay away from Gios :)

And whilst the Mesa Boogies are good, I'm not too into them. I know valves are the big thing these days, but I am getting more and more into using a DSP as my preamp rather than valves...much better for a metal tone i find. Valves seem to do a better job in the poweramp section...just to saturate and warm up the digital sound of the preamp.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 12:17:36

At 8/4/06 11:30 AM, -Nev- wrote:
At 8/4/06 11:24 AM, CptnJarrrrrydn wrote: Also, it helps if you have a good understanding of how to operate effects and amps properly. It took me so long to get out of the 'gain maxed out' rutt. You'll find you can get a decent sound out of most amps geared towards high-gain sounds (such as the cheap and *arguably* nasty Line 6 spider), just by rolling back the gain a little bit, and playing with the EQ alot :).
I never really was in the High Gain phase. It sounded too messy and I prefer a nice tight distortion - like Dimebag's and Petrucci's. So my gain is always set to about 7. But yeh. my amps brilliant at the moment - Randall - so I have no problems with it. But I'd like to try out the legend that is a Mesa and some Ibanez's that aren't from the crappy Gio series.

iha. i cant get shit from my spider. no matter how much i play with the settings. its like plugging your guitar into a bee hive and playing. they suck

anyway. i been looking for a new amp for a while... i've played a few mesas and wasnt too impressed. im lookin at a fender hot rod. just need an od for that and it'll play about anything.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 12:21:33

The Hotrod and Boss Metalzone are supposed to be a very good combination.

I've played with the Spiders and I actually found them to be quite decent, but maybe that's just me and my fucked up ears :P

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 18:19:51

A few things...

...I don't think dying near the peak of their talent makes a difference in the legend factor...maybe to the average schmuck on the street, but not to a guitarist. As a community, do we not revere all the greats, no matter when they died? There's plenty of living legends, though their number seems to be shrinking every day. Page is worshipped, and he's certainly passed his prime. The same can be said for so many others.

...Why do people insist on talking so much shit about someone's beginning rig? If he's happy with it, then it's the perfect rig for him. And screw anyone who says otherwise, because I guarantee that Jerry or I could rock that bitch sideways. And as for having attainable dreams, right on.

...Could Cemetary Gates be the first screamo song? ::runs::

fucking Phil, crybaby godfather of screamo

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 18:33:22

Okay, I think that I want to join, if that's okay with everyone

1.) A no-name fake strat (red w/ a black pick guard. Called the S101. $60 brand new on eBay!) and an Ibanez RX (black with a white pick guard).
2.) I like a lot of bands. Rob Zombie is cool.
3.) Somewhere close to a year.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 19:38:57

welcome in.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 20:02:04

At 8/4/06 06:11 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: So wrong. So, so wrong.
Slash is nothing compared to Izzy. Slash just looks cooler. He's no way near as important.

:O Have you heard Izzy's solo albums?
Every song is a Dust N' Bones rip-off. Seriously, I love izzy and he looks like a cool dude but Slash is just as big as apart of GN'R as Axl. I can garuntee if Slash and Axl were together without any of the other members people wouldn't have any problem with them calling themselves GN'R. I mean... If it weren't for Slash we wouldn't have any of the epic solo's, epic riffs or epic awesomness that makes GN'R.

Plus Bumblefoot and Robin Finck > Slash.

Robin Finck is the worse then Richard Fortus first off all, his writing abilities don't come remotley close to Slash's and his technical abilities don't either. Bumblefoot is a shredder and one who has never ever even come close to writing a decent song. Plus, he ruins November Rain by sweep picking through the outro... I mean c'mon!

Plus. Locomotive is a Slash song!

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 21:02:27

At 8/4/06 08:02 PM, da_pope wrote: Every song is a Dust N' Bones rip-off.

Have you heard Velvet Revolver?

I can garuntee if Slash and Axl were together without any of the other members people wouldn't have any problem with them calling themselves GN'R. I mean... If it weren't for Slash we wouldn't have any of the epic solo's, epic riffs or epic awesomness that makes GN'R.

Izzy wrote most the riffs. Slash wrote a lot of solos, but listening to Nightrain just shows that Izzy could also hold his own.

Robin Finck is the worse then Richard Fortus first off all, his writing abilities don't come remotley close to Slash's and his technical abilities don't either.

Finck is far more technically proficient. At Download when I saw him play an instrumental it was amazing. As what Bumblefoot's and as are Fortus'. They're all amazing guitarists.

Bumblefoot is a shredder and one who has never ever even come close to writing a decent song. Plus, he ruins November Rain by sweep picking through the outro... I mean c'mon!

Bumblefoot is an amazing composer. I've listened to a few of his songs are they're all brilliant.
And Popey you're getting confused, you're believing that Slash had a major input into the songs wrote. Izzy and Axl were the main contributors. Sure Slash had a part in a good few songs. But Izzy is without a doubt the key man. Look at what happened after he left. The Spaghetti Incident?

Plus. Locomotive is a Slash song!

And its brilliant, I'm not saying Slash isn't good. I'm just saying that Slash is pretty much the eye candy of the band. His importance in the music side is inferior to Stradlins.

Anyway, this is a Guitarist Thread. We shouldn't be filling it up with GN'R arguments.... thats for the GN'R club which is still alive somewhere :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 22:32:38

Who, in your opinion, is the greatest guitarist ever? I say Hendrix.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 22:34:43

Again? Already? Really? Call me when it's over.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-04 22:35:27

At 8/4/06 10:34 PM, FretBuzzard wrote: Again? Already? Really? Call me when it's over.

hahaha, concurred for justice.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 00:47:28

is da_pope getting into another argument involving guitars?!?!

I've been Fab since the re-design,have you?

JUST BECAUSE I LISTEN TO COREY HART :'[

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 01:50:18

At 8/4/06 09:02 PM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Have you heard Velvet Revolver?

Ya. Atleast they have some diversirty. But ya, overall dissapointing but they have 5 songs better then anything I've heard from the ex-gunners since UYI. Fall To Pieces, Slither, Dirty Little Thing, You Got No Right and Sucker Train Blues... The rest is Scotts fault :P

Izzy wrote most the riffs. Slash wrote a lot of solos, but listening to Nightrain just shows that Izzy could also hold his own.

Well, Slash is the one being called "one of the best riff writers ever"... I think he was 3 under Page and someone else. Nightrain is a bad example for Izzy's skills. In the UYI DVD's Gilby owned Izzy's part in that solo... And then Slash has that awesome outro that kind of kills everything with it's awesome.

Finck is far more technically proficient. At Download when I saw him play an instrumental it was amazing. As what Bumblefoot's and as are Fortus'. They're all amazing guitarists.

I don't like Fink, I like Fortus and I'm kind of neutral towards Bumblefoot. I'm not a fan of all that shred... Tapping, Sweep Picking... blah.

And Popey you're getting confused, you're believing that Slash had a major input into the songs wrote. Izzy and Axl were the main contributors. Sure Slash had a part in a good few songs. But Izzy is without a doubt the key man. Look at what happened after he left. The Spaghetti Incident?

Well... Would Paradise City be anything without that solo? Welcome To The Jungle? Civil War? Don't Cry? November Rain? Estranged? Every single GN'R song? It's Slash that puts GN'R over the top. Thats why he's a considerd guitar god.

And its brilliant, I'm not saying Slash isn't good. I'm just saying that Slash is pretty much the eye candy of the band. His importance in the music side is inferior to Stradlins.

Well then... were not gonna agree on this lol.

Whatever... oh and to answer who's my favorite guitarist... Guess.

Slash.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 04:51:34

My favourite guitarist is Charlie Simpson from Busted (and more recently Fightstar).

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 04:53:59

I can't really say I have a favourite guitarist. Probably because I don't have a favourite genre of music. And even then, there are many many many sweet guitarists within the same genre.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 04:54:41

Re: Slash Vs. Izzy

Much like the best guitarist ever argument, this cannot be resolved because you're dealing with two very different players. Each brought something unique to the table and when Guns made their first record, it was incredible. Take away either one, and the album would have sucked. The only person I think they could have done without was axl LOL Gods, can you imagine a GnR linup with Lane Staley or Phil even-tho-I-hate-his-guts Anselmo on Vox?

You gotta give Gilby credit tho, he had big shoes to fill, and he did it well. It's not his fault Izzy left.

I remember back in the day reading metalEdge or some shit and there was an interview with axl. This was before they even booted Adler, and he basically said he'd rather not sing at all if it wasn't with those same 4 other guys. Now it's Hired Guns & Roses LOL He should be ashamed of himself.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 04:58:45

My all time favourite would have to be Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits. But I have a lot of favourite guitarists.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 05:07:28

At 8/5/06 04:54 AM, FretBuzzard wrote: Much like the best guitarist ever argument, this cannot be resolved because you're dealing with two very different players.

We're weren't saying who's the better guitarist though. We're discussing who's input was the most important. In terms of ability Slash would own Izzy.

The only person I think they could have done without was axl LOL Gods, can you imagine a GnR linup with Lane Staley or Phil even-tho-I-hate-his-guts Anselmo on Vox?

Axl = God :(.

His voice really is a love or hate thing. I just happen to love it... a lot.

Favourite guitarist wise I'm changing my mind. My favourite guitarist is me.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 05:21:50

At 8/5/06 05:07 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Favourite guitarist wise I'm changing my mind. My favourite guitarist is me.

Best answer EVER.

Don't hate his voice so much as his assery. The way he handled shows, the poser costume changes after every song, the way he got so pretentious after a little bit of success, and his dismanteling of the best band of the decade. And while his voice is okay on the albums, on tour he sounds like Darth Vader with throat cancer.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 05:31:56

At 8/5/06 05:21 AM, FretBuzzard wrote: And while his voice is okay on the albums, on tour he sounds like Darth Vader with throat cancer.

Definately, on the UYI DVD's his voice is so annoying that I haven't watched them all the way through.
When I saw them live though two months ago Axl really did impress me, his voice was absolutely amazing, no croaky shit. But album standard goodness.
Although it could be my mind playing tricks on me due to the atmosphere of it all... being at the front singing along to Paradise City :).

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 05:32:12

At 8/5/06 05:07 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote: Favourite guitarist wise I'm changing my mind. My favourite guitarist is me.

A musician's ego is showing through in you.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 05:47:42

Well, he doesn't tour a whole lot, so that probably gives his voice more of a chance to recover. If he can just come up with a schedule that rests his voice and actually stick to it. People wouldn't mind if he only did one show a month, so long as he actually did the show when he said he was gonna do it.

Response to Guitarists 2006-08-05 08:11:03

At 8/5/06 05:07 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote:
At 8/5/06 04:54 AM, FretBuzzard wrote: Much like the best guitarist ever argument, this cannot be resolved because you're dealing with two very different players.
We're weren't saying who's the better guitarist though. We're discussing who's input was the most important. In terms of ability Slash would own Izzy.

Can we not just say that Guns'n'roses needed both Slash and Izzy to be as good as they were and there guitar styles combined to make one super amazing style. Without slash they wouldn't have been nearly as good and without Izzy they wouldn't have been nearly as good. The inmportant thing is the combined well they could play well together. Think about it slash in velvet revolver is really quite shite and Izzy in modern Guns'n'roses is also not amazing(I could have gone to see them but since it wasn't the 2 of them I didn't want to).

The only person I think they could have done without was axl LOL Gods, can you imagine a GnR linup with Lane Staley or Phil even-tho-I-hate-his-guts Anselmo on Vox?
Axl = God :(.

That's the main man he's more important that both of them just for the fact he is axl rose. Without him they would have been nothing like velvet revolver shit new guns'n'roses better. but is axl not like an old bum now.