00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ramenretro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Counter-Strike: Source Beta

9,749 Views | 120 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-20 18:25:59

At 5/20/10 05:47 PM, explodingbunnies wrote:
Or we could play legit, non-beta CS...
I'm one of the lucky people who got into this thing, i want to get the most playing time out of this!

Damn, I've had this game for three years. Did we have to be online in steam during the time the beta was opened back up?

So both the steam forums and esea league forums have calmed down quite a bit. Most people were quite frightened that the updates would ruin the game. No real game mechanics were changed, weapons are all the same, and such.

"the registration is ridiculous even on 33 tick servers. Every shot hits."
"Run and gun is not completely eliminated but it's VASTLY been improved upon. You may occasionally die to a running rifle but they have to be a LOT closer now to pull it off."
"sometimes when i kill somebody or die, i get a pretty solid lag spike. i assume its some sort of check for getting an achievement or statistic keeping. this lag would make spray downs and such kinda difficult because of the "jitter" you feel."
"im really glad they fixed the movement problems though. only thing that still seems to need fixed is the grenade physics."

Hopefully we get a better game out of this when beta goes live. "Kids from tf2 are the ones playing css and I was shitting on them, and they were raging calling cheats."

Founder of the Asian Users club

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-21 12:02:24

At 5/20/10 06:25 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
Hopefully we get a better game out of this when beta goes live. "Kids from tf2 are the ones playing css and I was shitting on them, and they were raging calling cheats."

A quality interview from the video game community!

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-21 14:19:04

yeah, hitting Tab for the scoreboard takes up the WHOLE screen and you cant see through it, its annoying as hell when i want to just check my score.

FFFFFUUU-

Never playing CSS again.

I hate you.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-21 15:12:06

I also forgot to mention, Grenade physics are very different. I keep trying to Throw my Frag Grenades through short doors and windows but I keep messing it up, guess i just gotta get used to it.

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.

PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-21 16:15:49

At 5/21/10 12:02 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 5/20/10 06:25 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
A quality interview from the video game community!

Oops! Haha, meant to move that quote elsewhere. This was just from a thread about the beta in the forums of a competitive league that hosts cs 1.6, cs source, and TF2.

At 5/21/10 02:19 PM, Krispe wrote:
yeah, hitting Tab for the scoreboard takes up the WHOLE screen and you cant see through it, its annoying as hell when i want to just check my score.
FFFFFUUU-

Never playing CSS again.

That's really enough for you to quit the game forever? rofl. Anyways, I am almost certain that this will be fixed and the scoreboard will return to its former transparent self.

At 5/21/10 03:12 PM, explodingbunnies wrote: I also forgot to mention, Grenade physics are very different. I keep trying to Throw my Frag Grenades through short doors and windows but I keep messing it up, guess i just gotta get used to it.

This is another issue that has been expressed before. Hopefully the grenade physics will be fixed.

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-21 20:04:32

I for one like the scoreboard, its vertical listing makes it easier to see who's who.

Maybe a downsize so that it doesn't take up the whole screen but I like the new style.

Ignore my picture and contribute to the NG wiki!

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-21 23:22:50

At 5/21/10 07:58 PM, xscoot wrote:
Aside from the Famas, all the rifles have a slower fire rate than the AUG. Sure, some of the SMGs have a better fire rate, but at a cost of distance and accuracy.

Sorry, my mistake. AUG fires 727 RPM, while AK and M4 fire at 600 and 685 rounds respectively. At least the mp5 and p90 (especially mp5), have very very consistent and reliable recoil patterns, and are less than half the price of the AUG. Less powerful sure, but surely more viable in the competitive scene.

Oh, and the scope is so it can double as a makeshift sniper tool. I like to use it to suppress long hallways.

I highly dislike the scope on both the SG-552, and the AUG. Seemed really cool and effective when I first got the game, but now I realise all of its downsides.

1. messes with your sensitivity. It's just like a sniper scope, your mouse movement is registered differently when using a scope.

2. slows rate of fire, and more recoil. The shots only stay accurate for 1-2 shots at a distance. Whereas you can burst fire with famas, galil, m4, ak pretty accurately for more shots, that also fire quicker.

3. bulky gun, slow rate of movement. Makes strafe shooting and "run and gun" much more difficult.

Now how many times do you get picked off by AWPs when trying to "suppress long hallways" with that gun?

At 5/21/10 08:04 PM, COMboy112 wrote: I for one like the scoreboard, its vertical listing makes it easier to see who's who.

Really? It's opaque and annoying as fuck.

Maybe a downsize so that it doesn't take up the whole screen but I like the new style.

Definately.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-22 19:43:03

So, I have a beta key and haven't even played yet and don't play on playing either.
I'm so bad.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-22 22:53:24

At 5/22/10 07:43 PM, Racoonmario wrote: So, I have a beta key and haven't even played yet and don't play on playing either.
I'm so bad.

When you say you're bad, do you mean you're bad at the game or you're "badass" for not planning on playing the beta.

At 5/22/10 09:43 PM, xscoot wrote: I just played a few rounds. It's already amazing.

Mainly because I played on a map that wasn't dust or office. I didn't know how much I liked Italy until today.

meh.

It was an infinite money server, with no weapon restrictions. I regularly killed AWPers to the point that they decided to stop using it.

Again, go spec and come back and you get a full 16k (or whatever you started out with). I'm sure there's a lot of shitty awpers too, who can't aim for fuck. Especially since they were playing italy, I'm not surprised lol.

Also played some gun-game; I was one knife kill away from winning. It was different theis time; you needed two kills per weapon. It was really nice being the only one with automatic weapons while everyone else was still on pistols though.

Congrats, I've won plenty of gun games, but it gets kind of boring. Teammates might be terribad and just give free kills to the other team while you're still on an inferior pistol. I just can't stand the compact, and the auto shotty is horrendous. Two kills each gun isn't anything new though.

Apparently all the beta servers are either 33 or 66 tick, yet have better registry than 100 tick servers of standard css.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 03:41:46

I remember seeing a guy the other day on Counter Strike who had like 47 kills and had just got 1 death, he was a pretty pro player (maybe even a hacker, I spectated him though and there wasn't anything too significant) but he was A COMPLETE ASSHOLE and clann00b. Lol, he'd yell at his team mates heaps and get angry lots, when he died for the first time he was like "(Name) why did you do that? You made me lose my cover blah blah blah, whose stupid enough to do blah blah blah" etc. Then he'd persist until you muted him then he wouldn't help you afterwards.

Pro's should stick to their non-pub servers if they are going to be jerks.

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 09:07:06

At 5/22/10 10:53 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
At 5/22/10 07:43 PM, Racoonmario wrote: So, I have a beta key and haven't even played yet and don't play on playing either.
I'm so bad.
When you say you're bad, do you mean you're bad at the game or you're "badass" for not planning on playing the beta.

X as well as Y.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 11:47:48

At 5/23/10 06:58 AM, Crink wrote:
At 5/23/10 03:41 AM, FurryDemon wrote: (Name) why did you do that? You made me lose my cover blah blah blah, whose stupid enough to do blah blah blah" etc. Then he'd persist until you muted him then he wouldn't help you afterwards.

Well that guy shouldn't have made him lose his cover.

Lol. firstly, may I ask what kind of server you were playing? (map, number of people, etc.) "Help you"? I really doubt this kind of 47-1 guy would help anyone, in fact he might just bait the hell out of everyone for the frags. Probably wasn't hacking, since these scores do happen in pubs, just not often.

"Pros" pretty much always play scrim/pug servers, and yes the cs community is full of assholes. My guesses are either:

1. He isn't "pro" at all, and jjust a huge pubstar.

2. His subscription to whatever league he might have been playing ended.

3. just really bored and didn't feel like having to try. maybe just see how good he could do in a pub?

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 12:53:20

God, is it me or is almost everyone on the beta not using teamwork or tactics? like, they think thats CS:S is MW2 where there needs to be zero teamwork or tactics, just a thing in your hands that makes things go dead. Seriously, i was playing on CT in CS_Assault and THEY JUST KEPT CAMPING THE OUTSIDE DOOR (on the stairs) AND RUSHING VENTS. These People need to learn.

I only played with 1 team who used teamwork and tactics, and it was on CS_Office.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 12:56:06

At 5/23/10 06:58 AM, Crink wrote:
At 5/23/10 03:41 AM, FurryDemon wrote: (Name) why did you do that? You made me lose my cover blah blah blah, whose stupid enough to do blah blah blah" etc. Then he'd persist until you muted him then he wouldn't help you afterwards.

Well that guy shouldn't have made him lose his cover.

Lol. Firstly, may I ask what kind of server you were playing in? (map, number of players, any weapon restrictions, etc.) Also, I really doubt he would help any of his teammates, to get that kind of score. I imagine he would bait everyone just for the frags, something I do in pubs too, because, quite frankly, I don't care about my shitty teammates dying.

Most "pros" will just stick to their pug/scrim servers. I have a couple of guesses as to why this guy was pubbing.

1. Bored and just felt like pubbing to see how well he could do.

2. subscription to whatever league he was playing ended.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 19:31:31

At 5/19/10 10:48 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote: Beta Update:
Fixed "Report Bug" in the main menu not working

Oh, aint that a kicker. :3

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 20:31:21

At 5/23/10 12:53 PM, explodingbunnies wrote: God, is it me or is almost everyone on the beta not using teamwork or tactics? like, they think thats CS:S is MW2 where there needs to be zero teamwork or tactics, just a thing in your hands that makes things go dead. Seriously, i was playing on CT in CS_Assault and THEY JUST KEPT CAMPING THE OUTSIDE DOOR (on the stairs) AND RUSHING VENTS. These People need to learn.

I only played with 1 team who used teamwork and tactics, and it was on CS_Office.

Oops, kinda double posted earlier...

It's a pub. also, office and assault lol. I wouldn't use "team work" in pubs either. Assault: Possibly the most T sided map in the game (barring any custom maps). I never play assault, but if I do I'm not going to be the idiot who rushes in first and dies to a bunch of camping Ts, then wait 4 minutes for the next round to come. I would camp outside too and hope some stupid T comes running out of the building, just that much easier to kill them. A lot of baddies play assault, some people will just die the exact same way every round repeatedly since they're too dumb to realize what they're doing wrong.

Same on office, just a free for all to get the most frags. Define "teamwork and tactics".

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 20:48:12

At 5/23/10 08:31 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
Define "teamwork and tactics".

Not thinking you're Rambo.

Even on other maps my team-mates really love to run in, while only like 2 other people go around, or use other strategies for killing, rather than the " RUSH THAT FUCKING SHIT" method.

Teamwork : Having the whole team (including yourself) cooperate on plans and tactics to take down the enemy team.

Tactics : Plans and strategies to take the enemies down, when combined with teamwork they become even better.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-23 21:41:10

At 5/23/10 08:48 PM, explodingbunnies wrote:
At 5/23/10 08:31 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
Define "teamwork and tactics".
Not thinking you're Rambo.

But I kind of am Rambo.. at least in pubs. That's the kind of mentality I have when playing the game lol. "YEAAHH TIME TO FUCK THESE KIDS UP RAWRR"

Even on other maps my team-mates really love to run in, while only like 2 other people go around, or use other strategies for killing, rather than the " RUSH THAT FUCKING SHIT" method.

well then they're just stupid. Baddies telling the whole team to rush are kind of annoying. "come on you pussies, rush!!". *dies*.

Teamwork : Having the whole team (including yourself) cooperate on plans and tactics to take down the enemy team.

unneccessary when I'm rambo.

Tactics : Plans and strategies to take the enemies down, when combined with teamwork they become even better.

tactics don't exist without teamwork.

My main tactic: Rambo the other team.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-24 18:18:59

Mostly teamwork in Shooter games like CSS, MW2 just involve "help this guy kill this guy" I.E assist kill.

Which brings me to another point, they should incorporate TF2 assist kills, should help people feel less than useless when their kill count is 0, but assist kill is 1.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-24 22:03:54

At 5/24/10 06:18 PM, COMboy112 wrote:

CSS, MW2\
AND MW2, my bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-25 13:16:07

At 5/24/10 06:18 PM, COMboy112 wrote: Which brings me to another point, they should incorporate TF2 assist kills, should help people feel less than useless when their kill count is 0, but assist kill is 1.

Yeah, it's not a bad idea... certainly wouldn't hurt the game at all. It should probably be based on damage done. For example, maybe 1 assist for every 100 damage done.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-27 22:14:11

At 5/25/10 01:16 PM, milinko959 wrote:
At 5/24/10 06:18 PM, COMboy112 wrote: Which brings me to another point, they should incorporate TF2 assist kills, should help people feel less than useless when their kill count is 0, but assist kill is 1.
Yeah, it's not a bad idea... certainly wouldn't hurt the game at all. It should probably be based on damage done. For example, maybe 1 assist for every 100 damage done.

Yeah doesn't seem bad at all. But I still wouldn't really want it. Just seems like a really trivial and unneccessary stat that would clutter the scoreboard. Speaking of scoreboards, take a look at the new scoreboard. Seems much better than old opaque wall of doom.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/32/de dust20001ul.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 00:26:08

At 5/27/10 10:14 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:

89 latency? Pfft, I only play with people under under 10 ms.

But yea, new screen looks pretty sweet. Not much different than the old stats screen other than the coloration and some layout tweaks.

PSN id - dellick

STEAM id - Yokumashu

GUILE THEME GOES WITH EVERYTHING

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 16:34:14

At 5/28/10 12:26 AM, Yokumashu wrote:
At 5/27/10 10:14 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
89 latency? Pfft, I only play with people under under 10 ms.

So then what, you votekick them or leave the server? rofl. As long as they don't teleport like a bitch I'm fine. Usually under 100 is fine.

But yea, new screen looks pretty sweet. Not much different than the old stats screen other than the coloration and some layout tweaks.

Yeah I suppose. Beta should be going live in a month or so, I'll post when the actual date is released.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 18:56:04

Heads up, some talk of incorporating a Modern Warfare style kill-cam, replaying the moments leading up to your death through your assailant's eyes, should help some new people get better and cut down on "OMG YOUR A HAX0R!!111!" rages from 9-year olds.

Also, chances of the shield coming back, there's an option to turn them on when you create a server, but they show up as knives, with the new and improved hit-boxes competitive players might give it another shot.

My opinions so far:
Why do they server-side disable the killcam? That's dumb, why the hell would they do that? It should be the player's decision to turn it on/off. On Instant respawn games with small maps or zombie mod I can see why, but not on regular CSS servers.

For some reason multicore rendering doesn't work for me, I have a 2.10 GHZ dual core, but for some reason it DROPS fps rather than raise it. Its not that much of a problem, considering the video stress test said I averaged 17 fps, so its not that bad, but still.

Where are the Counter-counter-terrorists? I was expecting 3 way shoot-outs I know it sounded like a joke, but 3 way shoot-outs would be awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 19:23:27

I'm so pissed that I didn't get in, can't wait to play the full version.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 20:09:29

At 5/28/10 06:56 PM, COMboy112 wrote: Heads up, some talk of incorporating a Modern Warfare style kill-cam, replaying the moments leading up to your death through your assailant's eyes, should help some new people get better and cut down on "OMG YOUR A HAX0R!!111!" rages from 9-year olds.

This was discussed on the very first page. Lot of people unhappy about this. You kill someone, you lose your position and the person dying can relay to their team over ventriolo or team speak or something where you are.

Also, chances of the shield coming back, there's an option to turn them on when you create a server, but they show up as knives, with the new and improved hit-boxes competitive players might give it another shot.

Haven't heard anything about the shield... But yeah, it wasn't even allowed on 1.6 because of how retardedly broken it was.

My opinions so far:
Why do they server-side disable the killcam? That's dumb, why the hell would they do that? It should be the player's decision to turn it on/off. On Instant respawn games with small maps or zombie mod I can see why, but not on regular CSS servers.

Competitve servers would want to turn it off for the reason I listed above. Player's decision? Yeah, having the killcam would give you an advantage so no one would really turn it off... so the server would have to do it.

For some reason multicore rendering doesn't work for me, I have a 2.10 GHZ dual core, but for some reason it DROPS fps rather than raise it. Its not that much of a problem, considering the video stress test said I averaged 17 fps, so its not that bad, but still.

Strange. Also, 17 fps is shit. You ever try turning your settings lower? That's the kind of frames I get with this shitty laptop with max settings.

Where are the Counter-counter-terrorists? I was expecting 3 way shoot-outs I know it sounded like a joke, but 3 way shoot-outs would be awesome.

I'm pretty sure that entire class was just a joke.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 22:34:31

This was discussed on the very first page. Lot of people unhappy about this. You kill someone, you lose your position and the person dying can relay to their team over ventriolo or team speak or something where you are.

Radar already does that, so long as you memorize, it doesn't make a difference if ghosting is allowed, if its not, and they start ghosting over vent, they should be reported to an admin.

Haven't heard anything about the shield... But yeah, it wasn't even allowed on 1.6 because of how retardedly broken it was.

New hitboxes, maybe it can break after hit a couple times?

Competitve servers would want to turn it off for the reason I listed above. Player's decision? Yeah, having the killcam would give you an advantage so no one would really turn it off... so the server would have to do it.

Read the above as well.
:.

Strange. Also, 17 fps is shit. You ever try turning your settings lower? That's the kind of frames I get with this shitty laptop with max settings.

We must have the same Laptop, Intel GMA? for me it does the job, and since I'm mainly a console gamer, I feel at home with 20 fps.

I'm pretty sure that entire class was just a joke.

Yeah, still hoping for 3 way matches though, spice things up a bit, with each party having their own objective
Let's say if the "Counter-counter-terrorists" actually do exist (or where to, whatever the case may be) let's have them being a blackops unit or mercenary group, and their objective is simply to kill everyone on site, including the hostages.

So there's a game on cs_office, CTs have to protect and rescue the hostages, terrorists have to simply protect, and the CCT's have to kill the hostages (Killing the opposing teams of course, is still in play) But if it is indeed a joke, then I'm disappointed.

Speaking of hostages they should re-use the CS:CZ hostage A.I Youtube it and compare to the current A.I.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 23:11:48

At 5/28/10 10:34 PM, COMboy112 wrote:
Radar already does that, so long as you memorize, it doesn't make a difference if ghosting is allowed, if its not, and they start ghosting over vent, they should be reported to an admin.

No that's not what I mean. Competitive servers won't allow you to view the other team, just your own. And all talk should be off anyways so ghosting isn't a big deal. I am well aware of the radar's existence, however the enemy will only appear on your radar if either you see him or your teammate does. If your teammate dies getting shot in the back, then the enemy isn't going to be on your radar.

New hitboxes, maybe it can break after hit a couple times?

Maybe... I really don't think it's necessary though.

We must have the same Laptop, Intel GMA? for me it does the job, and since I'm mainly a console gamer, I feel at home with 20 fps.

Yeah, but I prefer to use my mom's sony vaio when it's available. I'm quite sure consoles don't even run it that low, I'm thinking they run about 60 fps? I could be wrong. Way back when I didn't even understand what fps was, I just played at 20 fps or so. Since I've understood what it is, and the importance of high performance I've done almost anything I can to maximize performance.

Let's say if the "Counter-counter-terrorists" actually do exist (or where to, whatever the case may be) let's have them being a blackops unit or mercenary group, and their objective is simply to kill everyone on site, including the hostages.

So there's a game on cs_office, CTs have to protect and rescue the hostages, terrorists have to simply protect, and the CCT's have to kill the hostages (Killing the opposing teams of course, is still in play) But if it is indeed a joke, then I'm disappointed.

Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how this would work..

Speaking of hostages they should re-use the CS:CZ hostage A.I Youtube it and compare to the current A.I.

K.

BBS Signature

Response to Counter-Strike: Source Beta 2010-05-28 23:53:06

Most games run at 25-30 some run at 60 to achieve a cinematic effect, like Call Of Duty 4 (and so on) and MGS2.

Oh, and just so you know, most monitors run on 60 hertz, so their can't be more than 60 frames playing on screen, the FPS counter simply shows what FPS you could achieve I think.

BBS Signature