00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KWYuri just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Meat-heads By Jack

178,065 Views | 923 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-02 16:20:45 (edited 2016-03-02 16:21:28)

Finished those two paintings from a few posts ago

They are both for a painting class, there were no restrictions on the assignments, just to do two paintings simultaneously. So I went with heavily referenced with the pounce wheel and from my imagination with the horizon, I happened to have two 36" X 12" canvases laying around and thought it would be interesting to do two completely different types of paintings on canvases with such extreme dimensions.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-03 03:31:33

My brother has a bunch of broken /and or old drum heads laying around so these will probably happen with some frequency in the near future.

I don't use Gouache paints too much, mostly because I don't like the texture or its lack of permanence, but I really enjoyed working with it on this surface. This year I'm going to be trying to vary the mediums, processes, sizes etc of my art as much as possible. So any recommendations or ideas are welcome.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-03 17:03:34

At 3/3/16 03:31 AM, JackDCurleo wrote: My brother has a bunch of broken /and or old drum heads laying around so these will probably happen with some frequency in the near future.
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jackdcurleo/red-trees-green-seas
I don't use Gouache paints too much, mostly because I don't like the texture or its lack of permanence, but I really enjoyed working with it on this surface. This year I'm going to be trying to vary the mediums, processes, sizes etc of my art as much as possible. So any recommendations or ideas are welcome.

Ooh, I like the drum heads. I know a lady drummer that's taken to taking her broken cymbals and making jewelry out of them. And a guitarist that recently took the vaccuum tube out of his amp and made it into a puppet nose.

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-04 22:22:41 (edited 2016-03-04 22:29:14)

At 3/3/16 05:03 PM, radiodark wrote: Ooh, I like the drum heads. I know a lady drummer that's taken to taking her broken cymbals and making jewelry out of them. And a guitarist that recently took the vaccuum tube out of his amp and made it into a puppet nose.

Nice, repurposing used up or broken materials is one of my favorite things to do, of course it comes with the cost of having a bunch of shit laying around until I can get around to using it haha.
Here are some oil paintings from a class I'm taking.
The colorfield one was an interesting process and I wish I had been taking pictures of the progression because it would have made a great demonstration of the process of painting with oils and how much a painting can change from start to finish, oh well, maybe next time.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-06 19:40:45

At 3/4/16 10:22 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: Here are some oil paintings from a class I'm taking.
The colorfield one was an interesting process and I wish I had been taking pictures of the progression because it would have made a great demonstration of the process of painting with oils and how much a painting can change from start to finish, oh well, maybe next time.

I am fascinated by the lamp in the first painting. I mean it's not extraordinarily detailed or anything, but it literally dazzles / blinds me like looking into an actual light. Emphasized by by the lights it throws into the room. Nice job on that!

BBS Signature

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-09 14:32:11

At 3/6/16 07:40 PM, Luwano wrote: I am fascinated by the lamp in the first painting. I mean it's not extraordinarily detailed or anything, but it literally dazzles / blinds me like looking into an actual light. Emphasized by by the lights it throws into the room. Nice job on that!

Thanks Lu, I am pretty happy with how the sense of light turned out in that one too, I'd like to do more of these types of paintings in the future, something about having to start and finish a painting in a day feels really good.

Here's a quick watercolor thing that I did while waiting for paint to dry yesterday.

@Template88 and I did an art trade, so here's my half of that

Based off of her original

Looking forward to her take on my character!
And here's the linework

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-15 17:50:50

I've been chipping away at some larger things to be posted hopefully soon. in the meantime here are two smaller ones.

A small oil painting done on a 4" X 12" I've had laying around for a while, feels good to have finally gotten around to using it.

Color and portrait practice from an Instagram picture, still need to work on faces a lot more.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-22 19:51:47 (edited 2016-03-22 19:52:04)

Meow.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-03-28 07:50:27

I've been away and I've been lazy. Lots of catching up to do with lots of works in progress, but rather than work on any of that I decided to draw a clown, because it's been a while.

Being that I haven't slept for a while I'm not too happy with a lot of the colors I used or some of the design choices, the hat and color in particular, but hey, it is what it is.
Also poor quality iPad picture of the pencil work for either the next one or the one after next, because I don't like posting the picture I just linked to, it feels redundant

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-04-14 22:55:49 (edited 2016-04-14 23:02:08)

I've been working on a few paintings for the past few weeks, those will be done soon but they're the reason this jester has taken so long.

I was trying to do something with the background that I didn't really have a good plan for, but I learned a lot for the future and that's what counts.
In other news: today is one of my best friend's birthday, I bring this up because he was sort of the co-creator (or at least a major collaborator) of the Meat-Heads way back when we were in middle school about eight years ago. I've drawn them here and there over the years but here's his birthday card featuring none other than Meat-Head #1 himself.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-04-15 05:54:47

What exactly ARE the meat heads?

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-04-15 14:10:15

At 4/15/16 05:54 AM, Template88 wrote: What exactly ARE the meat heads?

The Meat-Heads were going to be a sort of parody of all the hyper masculine military shooters in 2008, I think Gears of War 2 was on the way and there was a bunch of hype in my circle of friends mixed with all the others I just drew a bust of a super soldier dude and named him Meat-Head #1. I should probably do more with them, they're fun to draw
While I'm here I'll drop a WIP, I'm painting a past illustration

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-04-18 20:41:48

I'm gonna shoot for making a short comic. I've been wasting time not drawing lately which is a bummer but now I'm getting my shit together and working it out.

I'm still figuring out how exactly I want the comic to look, but I think I'm leaning more on the style in the above concept panel, but I may go with smaller cutesy characters. I'm probably going to go black and white, with blue and magenta accents, though printing those colors may not be worth the added cost, we'll see how it shakes out.
I've had these characters kicking about for a while now here's a drawing from last year

and then the origin of space love way back in 2013

Here are two more birthday cards (lots of April people in my family and in my group of friends) Left is for my brother right is for my brother's bestie.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-04-22 21:18:25

Hey, I finally finished this guy:

So now I'll be moving on to the two other paintings I've got kicking around here for tinychat, I need to finish them in a week, so I'll probably be on every night, Monday to Thursday this week and I'll try for Sunday as well, so catch me then.
Other than that I've been doing some smaller things, there are four more birthday cards I need to do before the end of April so those will make appearances as well. Here's one:

And between all of these I still need to work on Space Love and get some portrait and color practice in somewhere

Busy is good.

current two paintings

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-04-30 20:38:49

I finished the two paintings:

It was a pretty fun process, I finished them up in a 12 hour marathon stream on twitch (twitch.tv/jackdcurleo). Which is something I'm going to try to get more into.
I don't want to abandon tinychat and will try to still be in there as often as I can to hang out, but the reality of needing to expand an audience as well as the potential financial opportunities twitch can provide its something I need to do. I'll be trying to stream every Tuesdays through Friday evenings Pacific Time, but no schedule is solid yet.
Here's a Jester:

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-05-02 22:47:37

interesting :P

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-05-16 19:49:43

At 5/2/16 10:47 PM, irvintiu wrote: interesting :P

Thanks
Moving on I'm gonna be streaming on twitch all week trying to get some huge and small paintings done for a gallery at the end of the month so drop in and say hi!
One of the main ones I'll be working on is an oil painting recreation of a colored pencil piece from 2013 (refer to the link immediately below!)

I consider it one of my best drawings and still refer to it for inspiration or guidance on pieces I do today in that particular style, hopefully oil paint will suit it well.
Anyway, catch me on stream see ya!

Also fun little scribble.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-05-17 04:27:55

holy shit this thread is old. what's it like doing traditional art via twitch streaming? my place and studio is cramped and i'm about as camera shy as the fucking samsquatch. also it's cool this thread's been on here for so long as you can see a cool timeline of improvement.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-05-17 06:47:16

At 5/17/16 04:27 AM, linda-mota wrote: holy shit this thread is old. what's it like doing traditional art via twitch streaming? my place and studio is cramped and i'm about as camera shy as the fucking samsquatch. also it's cool this thread's been on here for so long as you can see a cool timeline of improvement.

Yeah I like my old ass thread, it keeps my work in a nice little timeline as well as when I started to learn not to be such a little weener. Twitch is actually great since a lot of my friends have accounts already so they drop in and keep me company along with a few random twitch users who are genuinely interested in the process and mmy views on art.
Anyway here's a progress update on what I've been doing on stream!

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-05-17 15:14:18

don't worry dude you're not a ween, you were never a ween.

Buy my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1686919077 (also available for other countries too, thks ILU <3 )

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-05-18 21:21:35

At 5/17/16 03:14 PM, linda-mota wrote: don't worry dude you're not a ween, you were never a ween.

There was a time when I was maximum ween.

Here's some more of what I've been doing on twitch!
I'll be streaming of another couple hours today then take a break then maybe come back at like 2 am California time

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-05-19 02:08:28

At 5/18/16 09:21 PM, JackDCurleo wrote:
At 5/17/16 03:14 PM, linda-mota wrote: don't worry dude you're not a ween, you were never a ween.
There was a time when I was maximum ween.

Here's some more of what I've been doing on twitch!
I'll be streaming of another couple hours today then take a break then maybe come back at like 2 am California time

i thank god that most of the tokyopop profile stuff is gone i was probs a bigger ween than you. also that thing looks aweosme bro.

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-06-03 22:55:34 (edited 2016-06-03 22:58:16)

At 5/19/16 02:08 AM, linda-mota wrote: i thank god that most of the tokyopop profile stuff is gone i was probs a bigger ween than you. also that thing looks aweosme bro.

Thanks and oh yeah, when I say weener I mean it as in dick or penis, not weaboo or whatever.

It's been a while since I updated this thread, or at least it feels like a while, a lot of paintings and drawings got done so let's gooooo!
first the three of the four that I managed to finish in time for the gallery opening that I was lucky enough to be a part of:

I really enjoyed doing this one, but I think it would have been better suited as an illustration on paper than oil painting, it definitely would have been easier to do as one.

If you have a creepy interest in my art or a photographic memory you may remember this popping up as an ink scribble and maybe a few acrylic WIPS from like 2013. I'm happy to be finished with this one since it took so long to just get somethings to work right.

Surprise hit at the gallery, sold it night one, very proud of that especially since it started as me just not knowing what to do and painting in faces more to get a good color going for the background it eventually became its own thing.

It worked out pretty well that I couldn't finish the 30" X 40" piece because that would have been a nightmare to plan around since it was only one wall and the rest were at largest 2/3rds the size of it.

On to some illustrations
I just realized I never posted this guy in thread either, weird since I finished it like two days after returning from Pico Day.

I didn't plan this out well at all as far as the background goes, I think I was too into the figure and the flowers that I burnt myself out on establishing a solid way to do anything else maybe some more circles for the background to help add contrast, either way its up and we're moving on!

I started a new sketchbook and I really want it to kick ass since its a nice one so I'm only doing more fully realized drawings in it, this is the first, lyrics from the band FIDLAR.

Sister drawing to my earlier SHRED drawing the second page of the sketchbook, I need to get back into skating at some point in the future. I didn't know exactly what I was doing with the colors and am not 100% on some of the choices I made, but I like it a lot.
Last one a drumhead painting from last night, started and finished it on a lifestream over at my twitch. Had a lot of fun doing it, few things beat starting and finishing a piece in one sitting.

Here's where I am on the large painting, its coming together for sure, but unfortunately I am very low Turpenoid at the moment so progress is a bit slower since I can only work the areas that benefit from the muddy parts hanging around in my jar
And I think that about wraps up this long update, I'll try to pop in more often since I am drawing/painting a lot.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-07-31 01:07:51

I should really update my thread more often. I don't know why, but I always feel like I should finish just one more thing before I do which is silly, but whatever, its what happens.
Moving right along a lot has been going on lately, lots of ups and downs and all that in the time since my last post here I still have not finished that painting, its almost done though so close. However I have done a bunch of other drawings!
For instance some portraits of friends

As well as random portraits with no references

A couple of commissions

Some cards for people

Cthulhu and a robot for some events here on NG

Some more surreal stuff

I've started a series of fairytale illustrations, right now in the works I have the Seven Ravens and Cinderella, hopefully the Ravens will be done tomorrow, Cinderella later in the week but I kicked it off with my two personal favorites

Then there's what I finished tonight just now, definitely inspired loosely by @fifty-50 's stellar comic Petrichor (awesome work on that, dude!)

Top Middle Bottom
And of course the required jesters

Alright, well there's an update, maybe I'll go drawing for drawing again at some point in the future. I don't know. I gotta get more involved here, that Cthulhu thread was a great blast from the past to the days of activity threads, maybe they'll pop up more frequently now.

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-07-31 02:03:08

That's beyond awesome. Do you mind if I share it on facebook?

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-07-31 02:11:35

At 7/31/16 02:03 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: That's beyond awesome. Do you mind if I share it on facebook?

I would be honored, man! Also, once those physical copies of Petrichor go up I'll be getting myself one for sure! And plug it if that's cool too.

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-07-31 02:12:42

At 7/31/16 02:11 AM, JackDCurleo wrote:
At 7/31/16 02:03 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: That's beyond awesome. Do you mind if I share it on facebook?
I would be honored, man! Also, once those physical copies of Petrichor go up I'll be getting myself one for sure! And plug it if that's cool too.

I actually have actual copies now! I don't know how I'll get it all the way to the other side of the world though!

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-07-31 02:14:15

At 7/31/16 02:12 AM, Fifty-50 wrote:
At 7/31/16 02:11 AM, JackDCurleo wrote:
I actually have actual copies now! I don't know how I'll get it all the way to the other side of the world though!

Oh I thought you were going through a service of some sort that prints them, but yeah I definitely want a physical copy at some point down the line.

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-09-08 04:28:09

Shit, I really don't post here enough. I've been all over the place the past month or so. So unfortunately that means not much love to give the forums as well as drawing and painting, but school has started up and some semblance of structure is returning to my life so hopefully I'll be posting more.
So here's what I've been up to:
I drew another one of those Fairytale illustrations, one more to go on this series, I really need to get on it.

I got Strep Throat earlier in August, I don't recommend it.

Got better and partied it up

Scribbled a little thing based on cool music

I did some little commissions

Found a highlighter

and then forgot to sleep last night and did this.

In the meantime I am working on finishing up three paintings and some sketchbook scribbles. I'll be starting another painting for a class this Friday based on the illustration below. Cool!

The Meat-heads By Jack

Response to The Meat-heads By Jack 2016-09-09 17:50:02 (edited 2016-09-09 17:51:08)

At 9/8/16 04:28 AM, JackDCurleo wrote: I'll be starting another painting for a class this Friday based on the illustration below. Cool!

I started it!

The Meat-heads By Jack