00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

296,515 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-12 12:54:26

It seems like the big story going into the Giants v. Packers game is how Green Bay's offensive coordinator, Joe Philbin, just lost his son. Sad shit. Hope it doesn't put too much of a damper on what should be a fun game between a legendary NFL team and the ultimate underdog.

R.I.P. Michael

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-13 11:38:05

saints
TEBOW
ravens
packers

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-13 11:54:11

At 1/13/12 11:38 AM, jonthomson wrote: saints
TEBOW
ravens
packers

My picks are exactly the same.

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-13 19:44:17

At 1/13/12 11:38 AM, jonthomson wrote: saints
TEBOW
ravens
packers

Saints
Patriots
Ravens
Packers

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-14 06:37:59

Game day and I think the first one is actually the best one of the weekend. The Saints are hot but going on the road, not so much. It's going to be close. And of course the late game Tebow vs. Brady, good vs. evil. It's going to be ugly, but the Pats are going to romp and Skip Bayless will be without material for the next nine or so months.

Regardless, let's break bread and rejoice for division round football.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 02:04:52

At 1/15/12 12:00 AM, IzzyDude wrote: What a horrible game... I was hoping the Broncos would do well

Same here. Not that I was rooting for the Broncos, but I was at least hoping for a more competitive game. It's always a boring game when a team completely dominates the other that bad, unless you're rooting for the dominating team that is, but it still takes the excitement out of it regardless.

Kind of funny though how what's probably going to end up the most exciting game of the playoffs getting directly followed by what's probably going to end up the most boring game of the playoffs.

Tebow is a prick, but if he could get us to win that would be awesome.

Meh, Tebow doesn't seem like a bad guy to me, I just get annoyed with all of the Tebow hype, which isn't Tebow's fault, it's the media/some of his fans that bother me.

Also, I apologize if I'm intruding upon anything in this thread if it's strictly betting or something.

Just like the title says, this thread is meant for discussing American Football. As long as someone isn't posting to troll or post off topic it's probably fine.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 12:48:08

Texans and Ravens, I dont' think many are giving Houston a chance. I think it will be close but they have just too many injuries. The marquee matchup, I can't go against the Pack; they are too good. It's a shame that it isn't a night game and snowing.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 13:20:31

At 1/15/12 12:48 PM, reverend wrote: Texans and Ravens, I dont' think many are giving Houston a chance. I think it will be close but they have just too many injuries.

If the Texans had a healthy Matt Schaub at QB, then they could pull this off, but with T.J Yates, they are simply way too deep in it now, especially against a Ravens team that has waited a long time to play a playoff game at home. I have a feeling that the Ravens will win by double digits.

The marquee matchup, I can't go against the Pack; they are too good. It's a shame that it isn't a night game and snowing.

You don't go 15-1 and lay an egg in the 2nd round. Of course with that said, the Giants pass rush might be too much for Green Bay to handle, and we know of Eli's recent history on winning big games, notably as an underdog on the road. I still have the Pack winning this game, but I'm not very confindent in that pick.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 16:21:36

Tecmo Super Bowl says: Patriots are going back to the Super Bowl AGAIN....looks like another boring year for the AFC...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 16:47:07

At 1/15/12 04:21 PM, ZJ wrote: Tecmo Super Bowl says: Patriots are going back to the Super Bowl AGAIN....looks like another boring year for the AFC...

No way in hell are the Ravens going to be held to just 1 field goal by the Pats defense. If that happens I will shit my pants.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 19:19:07

At 1/15/12 04:47 PM, chiefindomer wrote:
At 1/15/12 04:21 PM, ZJ wrote: Tecmo Super Bowl says: Patriots are going back to the Super Bowl AGAIN....looks like another boring year for the AFC...
No way in hell are the Ravens going to be held to just 1 field goal by the Pats defense. If that happens I will shit my pants.

Look at the score as a scale and not as a real score. The score will be similar to that in a sense that the Ravens will probably lose and they'll lose by at least 14. Honestly I see the score more around 35-21 or 35-24.

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 19:45:38

Packers Discount Double Checked Out. I didn't think the Pack would lose this badly but I guess that happens when your receivers keep dropping the ball.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 19:55:03

Tecmo Super Bowl also says: The Giants will easily take down the 49ers and head to the Super Bowl. This means that we'll be seeing a rematch of the 2008 Super Bowl!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 20:07:02

Divisional Playoffs

Most Wins This Week:
2 Wins - Practically everyone

Most Losses This Week:
4 Losses - Gobblemeister

[ Rank ] [ W - L ] [ Win% ] [ User, Prev rank ]
>>>01 ] [ 5-3 ] [ .625 ] [ Dream-of-Duke 1 ]
>>>02 ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ jonthomson, 2 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ Fro, 2 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ chiefindomer, 4 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ illuminate, 4 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ orangebomb, 4 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ reverend, 4 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ Sentio, 4 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ Ship, 4 ]
>>>-- ] [ 4-4 ] [ .500 ] [ ZJ, 4 ]
>>>11 ] [ 2-6 ] [ .250 ] [ Gobblemeister, 4 ]
>>>-- ] [ 2-6 ] [ .250 ] [ Psil0, 12 ]

Divisional Playoffs Rankings
chiefindomer 2-2
Dream-of-Duke 2-2
illuminate 2-2
orangebomb 2-2
reverend 2-2
Sentio 2-2
Ship 2-2
ZJ 2-2
Fro 1-3
jonthomson 1-3
Psil0 1-3
Gobblemeister 0-4

Conference Championships
Sunday
Baltimore at New England -
NY Giants at San Francisco -

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-15 20:09:32

Already calling it: The 2012 Super Bowl is just going to be a rematch of the 2008 Super Bowl. Patriots and Giants win their respective championship games.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-16 12:14:25

At 1/15/12 08:09 PM, ZJ wrote: Already calling it: The 2012 Super Bowl is just going to be a rematch of the 2008 Super Bowl. Patriots and Giants win their respective championship games.

I have no doubt that you are right, but the thought of that depresses me when there were so many better stories developing in the playoffs. It could have been a great match up this year, but that just looks boring to me.

So with that in mind, I'm going for 49ers and the Ravens come what may!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-16 19:13:12

A simple question for you guys. Is Eli an elite quarterback now?

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-16 19:13:58

At 1/16/12 07:13 PM, reverend wrote: A simple question for you guys. Is Eli an elite quarterback now?

No, his Defense and Hakeem Nicks just make it seem that way

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-16 23:01:56

At 1/16/12 07:13 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 1/16/12 07:13 PM, reverend wrote: A simple question for you guys. Is Eli an elite quarterback now?

Sounds like you're mad because Eli stomped on your Packers in Lambeau Field again, lol.

As for the question, Eli is on the cusp of being an elite quarterback, and if he can get to the Super Bowl and/or win it again, then there would be no doubt in my mind. It seems like Eli plays his best in the playoffs, with a 6-3 record compared to his older brother Peyton, who has a 9-10 record.

Although the only reason why Peyton has a 9-10 record in the playoffs is because Indy's defense keeps screwing him over so much.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-17 03:39:31

Conference Championships
Sunday
Baltimore at New England - New England
NY Giants at San Francisco - San Francisco

Former dynasty versus. The Most Recent Dynasty/Current Dynasty

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-17 11:12:59

I wanna say yes. He's a Super Bowl winner that's on the way to getting near his second ring. I know there are some who say that he's surrounded by amazing talent, but I feel like none of that would matter if Eli wasn't up to snuff as a QB. He's lead this team to an amazing post-season run this year and I feel like he should be noted as one of the game's leading quarterbacks at this time.

Also, it'll be hilarious if he gets more Super Bowl rings than his "better" brother, Peyton...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-17 18:28:21

At 1/17/12 11:12 AM, ZJ wrote:
At 1/16/12 07:13 PM, reverend wrote: Also, it'll be hilarious if he gets more Super Bowl rings than his "better" brother, Peyton...

That would be pretty awkward at the Manning family when Eli shows up with more rings then his older brother Peyton, who had the better stats overall. {To be fair, the Colts defense screwed him over a lot over the years, and had to bail them out so much.} Also, the most Peyton has thrown for in a season is 4700 yards last year, whereas Eli passed him by nearly 300 yards this year, lol.

Speaking of the Colts, they fired Jim Caldwell after going 2-14 without Peyton, and in all honesty, I thought he got a raw deal getting fired, especially since in the first 2 years, he had a pretty good team around him. My guess is that Irsay decided it was time to clean house, and start anew with Andrew Luck. {which ironically enough, they did the same thing when they drafted Manning in '98.}

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-17 19:58:54

At 1/16/12 07:13 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

He is not an elite QB if you look at his stats. But if you need a guy to deliever in the playoffs with everything on the line, then he is the go to guy.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-18 02:28:13

At 1/17/12 08:49 PM, Travis wrote:
What the fuck is wrong with that organization.

They needed a scapegoat for having such a Godawful season, I suppose, and aren't completely ready to make a villain out of Peyton yet . My raging Colts fan of a roommate was pleased as punch when the got rid of the coach as he sees it as the team is making a tangible step to not allowing this to happen next year.

The funniest thing about all of this? Experts aren't even sure that firing the head coach after a bad season is a good move.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-18 19:37:25

Conference Championships
Sunday
Baltimore at New England - Patriots
NY Giants at San Francisco - 49ers

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-18 21:40:09

Sunday
Baltimore at New England - Patriots
NY Giants at San Francisco - Giants

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-18 22:38:02

At 1/15/12 08:07 PM, reverend wrote: Conference Championships
Sunday
Baltimore at New England -

Going with the Patriots, they have the better weapons on offense, and Baltimore is only .500 on the road. Plus, I don't trust Joe Flacco that much, considering he does his best disappearing act around this time, and even going up against a bad NE defense, I can't really see anyone on B-more's offense rack up huge stats.

NY Giants at San Francisco -

Got to go with the Giants for 2 reasons, momentum and Manning. For all intents and purposes, the G-men shut out the Falcons and curb stomped the Packers at Lambeau and at their own game, no less. San Fran, as great as their defense is, I have a feeling that Alex Smith is eventually going to fall apart, or at least hold them back enough to lose this game.

Looks like we'll have a rematch of Super Bowl 42.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-19 01:02:12

Patriots

Giants

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-19 04:50:36

I got a chance to talk to a drunken Dickbuns tonight and here are his picks for this week. Here's what he said:

Giants will win because they "is a solid team that have just rocked on so many good teams this year"

Ravens will win because "FUCK THOSE FUCKIN FUCKS AND TOM BRADY"

There you have it. I'm going to laugh if a smashed Merc predicts this games correctly.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-01-19 05:42:38

Conference Championships
Sunday

Baltimore at New England - Going with the underdog and picking my Ravens. As long as Flacco doesn't rely on the Oline too much I think he could have a pretty decent game and if the Ravens Dline can put enough pressure on Brady then I think they have a good shot at keeping him from picking us apart. That is if they aren't suffering from stupid play calling/stupid mistakes. It's all going to depend on what version of the Ravens shows up to play this game.

NY Giants at San Francisco - Giants. Even with the 49ers playing good defense, I don't think it's going to be quite enough to stop Eli and the rest of the Giants offense from putting up some decent numbers, whereas I think the Giants defense is good enough to keep the 49ers out of the endzone for the most part. 49ers field goals just aren't going to be able to keep up with Giants touchdowns.

BBS Signature