00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

294,824 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-05 22:43:47

At 1/26/12 11:53 AM, reverend wrote: Pro Bowl
AFC at NFC - AFC

Super Bowl
NY Giants at New England - Giants
Total score - 21-17

Haha! Awesome. I really foresaw that safety, honest.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-05 22:46:25

At 2/3/12 11:00 PM, Dream-of-Duke wrote: Come on, Patriots! Win the Super Bowl so that I can win the prediction competition. >:)

Whatever you do, don't go overboard with the anti-depressants.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-05 23:06:07

Super Bowl XLVI

[ Rank ] [ W - L ] [ Win% ] [ User, Prev rank ]
>>>01 ] [ 7-4 ] [ .636 ] [ Dream-of-Duke 1 ]
>>>-- ] [ 7-4 ] [ .636 ] [ Ship, 2 ]
>>>-- ] [ 7-4 ] [ .636 ] [ Fro, 2 ]
>>>-- ] [ 7-4 ] [ .636 ] [ ZJ, 2 ]
>>>02 ] [ 6-5 ] [ .545 ] [ illuminate, 2 ]
>>>-- ] [ 6-5 ] [ .545 ] [ orangebomb, 2 ]
>>>-- ] [ 6-5 ] [ .545 ] [ chiefindomer, 7 ]
>>>-- ] [ 6-5 ] [ .545 ] [ reverend, 7 ]
>>>09 ] [ 5-6 ] [ .455 ] [ Sentio, 9 ]
>>>10 ] [ 4-7 ] [ .364 ] [ jonthomson, 9 ]
>>>11 ] [ 3-8 ] [ .273 ] [ Psil0, 11 ]
>>>12 ] [ 2-9 ] [ .182 ] [ Gobblemeister, 12 ]

Super Bowl XLVI
reverend 1-0 +0
Ship 1-0 +10
chiefindomer 1-0 +13
Sentio 1-0 +27
Fro 1-0 -38
ZJ 1-0 -38
Dream-of-Duke 0-1
Gobblemeister 0-1
illuminate 0-1
jonthomson 0-1
orangebomb 0-1
Psil0 0-1

Well another season has come to an end with the Lombardi Trophy heading to New York. Also, even though DoD picked wrong he has a closer total score difference of 7 compared to Ship's 10. Here is a pic and don't let it go to your head.

Also, I'll ask again, is Eli an elite quarterback?

American Football Discussion

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-06 06:16:11

At 2/5/12 11:06 PM, reverend wrote:
Also, I'll ask again, is Eli an elite quarterback?

check my latest news post

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-06 09:18:37

At 2/6/12 12:21 AM, Travis wrote:

Here's to hoping there's a legitimately INTERESTING matchup next year.

Sour grapes?

Anyway I went to check out the Eagles fan's blog and on the comments section some of the fans bemoaned the fact that they could have gotten JPP.

Sucks to be them.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-07 22:35:49

At 1 day ago, Travis wrote: Here's to hoping there's a legitimately INTERESTING matchup next year.

Tell me then, what would constitute a Interesting matchup for you then? Having the Giants and the Patriots as this year's Super Bowl is the most intriguing matchup, partly due to the fact that both teams have elite QBs, {which win championships more often than not.} and the game was close throughout. Having a Niners-Ravens matchup on the other hand would probably be as low scoring as the LSU-Bama regular season game, and be virtually unwatchable, and being a Browns honk that you are, I didn't think that you wanted to see the Ravens in the SB, but I might be wrong on that case.

Worse for you, New England is favored by Vegas to get back to the Super Bowl next year, and the Giants aren't far behind. However unlikely it is that we'll have another NE-NYG matchup again in SB 47,{I personally don't see it happening again.} it's still a possiblity considering how good these teams are that we could see one if not both of these teams in New Orleans.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-08 01:39:28

At 2 days ago, reverend wrote: Well another season has come to an end with the Lombardi Trophy heading to New York. Also, even though DoD picked wrong he has a closer total score difference of 7 compared to Ship's 10. Here is a pic and don't let it go to your head.

I can't believe I was so close dammit. I thought for sure the Patriots were gonna have an offensive explosion. I guess they were too busy choking and dropping passes to score touchdowns. But oh well, I'll take second place in this. It was great playing pick 'em with you all, I look forward to next year!

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-12 09:03:09

At 9 days ago, mamatequila wrote: GO GIANTS.

That's all. :3

Credits to Eli and the G-men for getting the job done when it matters the most, they deserve it.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-02-14 23:08:12

At 3 weeks ago, ZJ wrote: For those of you who are interested. Hulu.com has it so that you can watch almost every episode of "America's Game". If you don't know what that is, it's basically a series that has 45 minute episodes dedicated to chronicling the seasons of Super Bowl Winning Teams. It's really fun to learn how some of these teams came together to win their respective Super Bowls and for me, personally, it's gotten me excited for the upcoming games.

You could easily get started by watching how the Giants won the Super Bowl in 1987, 1991, and 2008 or how the Patriots won it in 2002, 2004, and 2005.

I'll be looking forward to the next "America's Game".

It should be interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if they'll have Victor Cruz playing the part of the commentary. I know Eli will be in it as well.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-05 15:05:10

So, what do you all think of the reveal of the New Orleans Saints's Bounty System? Do you really think this will be a major issue for the NFL as several commentators predict?

Personally, I think this is getting blown out of proportion. Hurting people is a part of this game and I feel like having a system that rewards players for doing it isn't the worst thing to ever happen. I'm not an expert, though. I'd love to see some discussion from you guys on this...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-05 23:49:38

At 8 hours ago, ZJ wrote: So, what do you all think of the reveal of the New Orleans Saints's Bounty System? Do you really think this will be a major issue for the NFL as several commentators predict?

Actually, I've made a thread about this in general, but I guess no one noticed, or it was just too early, whatever.

As for your question, this is a major issue partly due to the fact that Goodell is cracking down on illegal hits, and then out of the blue, the Saints were discovered to have a bounty program that intentionally tried to get opposing offensive players off the field, {i.e cart-offs, K.O. shots, etc.} Maybe 10 years ago or so, there would be nothing done about it and quickly ignored. Now, I would expect some heavy fines on the Saints, and suspensions across the board, both players and especially Gregg Williams. It only gets worse from there for Williams, considering he was accused of running a similar program with the Bills, Titans and Redskins.

Personally, I think this is getting blown out of proportion. Hurting people is a part of this game and I feel like having a system that rewards players for doing it isn't the worst thing to ever happen. I'm not an expert, though. I'd love to see some discussion from you guys on this...

Personally, the injury factor is part of this game, and no amount of rule changes will ever deter that risk. But in today's NFL, you can't get away with stuff like that under Goodell and expect nothing to happen, particularly when former players are suing the league over concussions and other such injuries that went unnoticed until recently. As I said before, I do expect the Saints to get hammered with fines and possibly lengthy suspensions for some of the players and Gregg Williams as well.

Now I'll add this question to the discussion, at the end of the day, will the Saints be viewed much more negatively by NFL fans, a la the the Patriots with Spygate in '07?

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-05 23:53:22

At 2 minutes ago, orangebomb wrote:
At 8 hours ago, ZJ wrote:
Now I'll add this question to the discussion, at the end of the day, will the Saints be viewed much more negatively by NFL fans, a la the the Patriots with Spygate in '07?

I doubt it

The big buzzword with Spygate was 'cheating' and the Bounty Ordeal simply doesn't have that same kind of scandal.

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-07 00:57:36

At 1 day ago, ZJ wrote: Personally, I think this is getting blown out of proportion. Hurting people is a part of this game and I feel like having a system that rewards players for doing it isn't the worst thing to ever happen. I'm not an expert, though. I'd love to see some discussion from you guys on this...

It's not the worst thing to happen but there is no way the NFL can't do absolutely nothing. Sure it's more PR driven than say, from a moral standpoint, because players do go out and try and hurt others every play regardless of a bounty, but you can't have an active system of doing it. It's just a black eye for the league more than anything.

And Manning is/was going to be released from the Colts. I knew it was going to happen some day but I never thought this soon even though it has been 14 years. Any guess to where he is going to go? And over/under 26 TDs where ever he goes?

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-07 01:45:28

At 46 minutes ago, reverend wrote:
And Manning is/was going to be released from the Colts. I knew it was going to happen some day but I never thought this soon even though it has been 14 years. Any guess to where he is going to go? And over/under 26 TDs where ever he goes?

I'm going with Peyton ending up in Miami and I'm thinking he'll be over 26 TDs. I can't see him stop being good in another city.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-07 14:29:24

At 12 hours ago, ZJ wrote:
At 46 minutes ago, reverend wrote:
I'm going with Peyton ending up in Miami and I'm thinking he'll be over 26 TDs. I can't see him stop being good in another city.

I'd give him two years before I can judge.

One year to get back into form and second year to prove that he still got it.

I have a feeling that part of the reason why the media wanted him to retire is so that he won't beat Favre's TD record.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-07 23:03:48

At 21 hours ago, reverend wrote:
At 1 day ago, ZJ wrote:
It's not the worst thing to happen but there is no way the NFL can't do absolutely nothing. Sure it's more PR driven than say, from a moral standpoint, because players do go out and try and hurt others every play regardless of a bounty, but you can't have an active system of doing it. It's just a black eye for the league more than anything.

My thoughts exactly, if this were to spill out say 10 years ago or so, than no one would even bother. But when former players are suing the league for misdiagnosed concussions and whatnot, they have to clamp down on stuff like this, or else it turns into more ammo for the former players in the courts and the critics who say that football is too violent.

Of course with that said, the bounty system didn't exactly do them too many favors when their defense got shredded constantly in the regular season, and in their playoff losses to Seattle and San Francisco which honestly, they had no business losing to either one of them, consider one was a 7-9 team that backed in the playoffs, and the other one had Alex Smith as QB, but that's a different discussion for another day.

Dolphins and Redskins sound tempting to Manning, but they're not exactly SB contenders, so he may have some doubts about going there. I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton ends up in Houston, taking over for Schaub, who's productive, but is up and down a lot, and Yates, who was a caretaker QB at best. If he does go to the Texans, I would expect less than 26 pass TDs, considering his age and Foster and Tate would be able to carry much more of the offensive load than in Indianapolis.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-08 02:16:36

At 3 hours ago, orangebomb wrote: Dolphins and Redskins sound tempting to Manning, but they're not exactly SB contenders, so he may have some doubts about going there. I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton ends up in Houston, taking over for Schaub, who's productive, but is up and down a lot, and Yates, who was a caretaker QB at best. If he does go to the Texans, I would expect less than 26 pass TDs, considering his age and Foster and Tate would be able to carry much more of the offensive load than in Indianapolis.

Houston is probably his best bet because they are playoff contenders and they're probably the only team that could offer him the kind of offensive protection needed to ensure he doesn't break in 3 weeks. He would not get the same degree of protection in Washington or Miami I am sure and he wouldn't last long if his neck is as bad as it seems.

I still don't see why Houston would want to dump money into such a risky and altogether temporary reprieve in Manning. Schaub produces and the run game has proven to be all but omnipresent for them so they really shouldn't tamper with that formula.

That being said I'd rather not have to deal with Peyton in Miami.

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-08 15:20:23

At 13 hours ago, Gobblemeister wrote:
Houston is probably his best bet because they are playoff contenders and they're probably the only team that could offer him the kind of offensive protection needed to ensure he doesn't break in 3 weeks.

The only point I would bring up is that Houston is a team that is in the same conference and division as the Colts. Is the possibility of being in direct competition with Indianapolis for a playoff spot enough to deter Peyton from going with the Texans? He's obviously got a decent amount of options for which team he chooses to play for this year and I'm wondering if that would even begin to factor into his decision. It might not even matter to him, but the possibility still exists, I guess.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-08 20:48:08

At 18 hours ago, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 3 hours ago, orangebomb wrote:
I still don't see why Houston would want to dump money into such a risky and altogether temporary reprieve in Manning. Schaub produces and the run game has proven to be all but omnipresent for them so they really shouldn't tamper with that formula.

It would be wise for Houston to at least take a serious look at Manning, because as productive as Schaub has been over the years, he can be up and down, particularly at the latter half of the seasons where they had a chance to make the playoffs and failed. With their powerful running game that they never had in Indy, Andre Johnson {when healthy} as their ultimate go-to WR, and a stingy defense on board, that's going to be their best chance at getting to a Super Bowl if they get Manning.

That being said I'd rather not have to deal with Peyton in Miami.

Or to the Jets, but that's not going to happen. Jets have way too many 2nd tier piecemeal parts on the skill positions, and a coach who's not as good as most people would think, especially when he coaches offense like it's the 1950's.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-11 13:12:41

To stir something up a bit, check out the comments for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q01cRYEruJQ&feature=related

I hope honeytan is trolling, no one can be that stupid.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-14 02:20:32

Bills are reportedly looking to give Mario Williams a big money contract

WHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!?!!??!!?!???!!?
!?

HE'LL JUST GET HURT!!!!

DON'T DO THIS AGAIN!!!!

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-14 23:15:56

At 20 minutes ago, Travis wrote: Chiefs sign Peyton Hillis... Browns release Steinbach.

Well, I can easily chalk this up as "did not do the research." which the Browns almost always do when it comes to trades. It was pretty obvious that he is really nothing more than a glorified fullback with fumbling problems, considering Denver drafted him in the 7th round and gave him away for Quinn so quickly. {don't know who got the worst out of that deal.} Then somehow, caught the league by surprise by running for over 1,000 yards despite fumbling the ball almost every game, and for that, he ended up on the Madden '12 cover over more qualified candidates. {shows how stupid people are when it comes to voting.} As for Steinbach, his worthless ass barely defended Palmer when he was in Cincy, and he got worse while in Cleveland.

Don't worry though, The Browns may have another shitty season next year, but if they tank enough games, they might get Matt Barkley to replace what's left of Colt McCoy. {if they can peel what's left of him off that turf.}

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-15 13:16:18

Titans offer Manning a potential managament job with their team after his playing days are over.

I know the word on the street is that Manning wouldn't want to play directly against his old team in the same division, but this is a really great deal. We all know that Manning is going to want to be a part of a team in some capacity once he's done being a QB. Look to this being them offering him a position like Elway has in the future.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-19 23:41:22

I was hoping the Giants would find a way to resign Manningham, on well. Even though he have problems with catching the ball and would drop passes now and then, he's still one of my favorite players because of his name.

I mean "Manning to Manningham" rings a bell quite well. Oh well, I'll always appreciate the huge play he made that helped us win and I wish him the best of luck (expect whenever the 49ers faces us of course).

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-20 22:48:52

Peyton Manning signed a 5 year, $95 million dollar contract with the Denver Broncos, which means it's the end of Tebowmania in Denver and probably just about everywhere else. {possible exception of Jacksonville if they get him.} With that move, it convinced Vegas to put the Broncos high up there in odds with Green Bay and New England, despite having a rather sub-par roster that will be around him. {of course, a few free agent signings might change that.} I guess they're gambling that Peyton's neck will hold up long enough for them to win a Super Bowl.

Even with the signing of Manning, I can't really see Denver as much of a championship contender. The WRs aren't that talented and their defense isn't really that spectacular at all, even when Tebow was the QB after the 5th game last season, so I don't know where they are all getting that Super Bowl hype from. Plus, there is going to be an adjustment period for Peyton after his neck surgeries, and with a pretty brutal schedule that they will have for next season, I can't really see them having more than 8 or 9 wins at most, and that might be generous.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-21 00:10:55

At 1 hour ago, orangebomb wrote: Peyton Manning signed a 5 year, $95 million dollar contract with the Denver Broncos, which means it's the end of Tebowmania in Denver and probably just about everywhere else. {possible exception of Jacksonville if they get him.} With that move, it convinced Vegas to put the Broncos high up there in odds with Green Bay and New England

I found the Vegas odds hilarious.

I think it was like, 1-5 chance the Broncos win the Superbowl.

Really? It's a joke. The Broncos are simply not a championship caliber team. I could talk about their more statistical weaknesses but I honestly feel the biggest thing is that they don't have the poise teams like New England or Green Bay have. Yes Green Bay did choke in the play offs last season but the year they won they played strong, solid, consistent football in december and that's just not the kind of team Denver is.

I do not honestly expect Peyton Manning to come in and fix that right away, or that drastically. He'll be lucky if Richard Seymour doesn't break him at some point in the season. That being said, the Broncos are an upgrade over the Colts. The receiving corps might not be quite there yet but I think they'll probably make the playoffs and they might even win a playoff game. However, I still feel like Peyton won't bring them over the edge to beat New England or Baltimore or any other team experienced in the playoffs.

1-5 odds though? Absolutely ridiculous.

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-21 13:02:07

I really think the Jets should stick with Sanchez for a time being. Jets fans and the media are being too harsh on him because his team were so hyped up to a ridiculous proportion.

I mean Sanchez wasn't that bad and it takes time for players to develop, even Montana didn't bear fruit in his first year. Guess when you don't win after the first three years, you're automatically a bust. If Elway was on that team and put up the stats he had in Denver the first three years, he'd be run out of town.

People got to realize that just because their fat mouth of a coach made a guarantee hoping to emulate Namath doesn't mean that it'll happen, if anyone is at fault for buying into the hype, the fans and the media are themselves to blame. Especially when you consider how the Jets hadn't won since Vietnam and yet made a big deal about signing washed up stars like Brett "I retire" Favre, Jason "Poor man's Strahan" Taylor, and Tomlinson which makes them the best thing since sliced bread (not sure why sliced bread is a big deal but whatever).

While I'm happy that the Giants won and I'm still basking in the glow, the pressure being placed on one player is ridiculous. At least Sanchez gets to experience what Eli went through from 2004-2007.

If Sanchez regresses in the next two to three years, then they can give up on him.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-21 15:01:28

At 14 hours ago, Gobblemeister wrote:
1-5 odds though? Absolutely ridiculous.

I think Peyton will make a strong run to the playoffs and battle for a spot to go the Super Bowl, though. While I agree that the Broncos aren't the best team in the league, I can easily see Peyton figuring out a way to beat the shit out of San Diego, Oakland, and Kansas City and secure the AFC West divisional playoff spot in relatively easy manner. I do think it'll be fun to watch him take on the likes of New England or Pittsburgh, though, to see if he can take Denver to the promised land...

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-21 20:10:19

The Saints got really bitch slapped by Goodell. Sean Payton suspended for a season and the Saints are out on two 2nd round draft picks. I'm thinking that might be overkill.

Tebow to the Jets, lol.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2012-03-21 23:37:15

At 3 hours ago, reverend wrote: The Saints got really bitch slapped by Goodell. Sean Payton suspended for a season and the Saints are out on two 2nd round draft picks. I'm thinking that might be overkill.

Goodell at his most sadistic when it comes to player safety.

In all seriousness, this is certainly going to be a massive blow for the Saints, and considering how much Payton is in with their offense, it wouldn't surprise me at all if their offense goes down a notch or two, even with Brees at the helm. Speaking of Brees, why they haven't signed him to a long-term deal yet is beyond me, because without him, the Saints would've have most likely left New Orleans after Katrina.

Tebow to the Jets, lol.

I can tell that this will not end well. I hope they enjoy being behind the Patriots again.

BBS Signature