00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

harkhan71 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

297,205 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-15 23:10:36

At 12/15/11 10:14 PM, Travis wrote:
At 12/15/11 09:58 PM, reverend wrote: So much for my gamble picking the Jags; 27-0 start of the 3rd.

Also don't forget to make your bowl picks soon if you are interested.
The Jaguars got them right where they want them... lol.

You're being sarcastic aren't you? Not even Tebow's 4th quarter miracle powers can't dig the Jags out of this hole.

Speaking of Tebow, I really don't think that TebowMania or whatever they're calling it is going to last. Yes, he is 7-1 this season, but it seems like everyone is overlooking the fact that Denver has been playing great defense, and they have went up against shitty offenses and/or quarterbacks. In short, who have they beaten under Tebow that would be considered a quality win? I know Travis would use this argument all the time when the Bengals were winning eariler in the season.

And people have the nerve to think that Denver is a Super Bowl contender, especially since they have no real offensive talent, and that defense was non-existant when Orton was the QB. Tebow alone can't carry this team any farther than the wild card round, and that's really all they have on offense.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-15 23:31:16

Gildan New Mexico - Temple vs. Wyoming

Temple

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Ohio vs. Utah State

Ohio

R+L Carriers New Orleans - San Diego State vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

Louisana-Lafayette

Beef 'O' Brady's St. Petersburg - Florida International vs. Marshall

Marshall

S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia - TCU vs. Louisiana Tech

TCU

MAACO Las Vegas - Arizona State vs. Boise State

Boise State

Sheraton Hawaii - Nevada vs. Southern Miss

Southern Miss

AdvoCare V100 Independence - Missouri vs. North Carolina

Missouri

Little Caesars - Western Michigan vs. Purdue

Purdue

Belk - Louisville vs. NC State

Louisville

Military Bowl Presented By Northrop Grumman - Toledo vs. Air Force

Air Force

Bridgepoint Education Holiday - California vs. Texas

Texas

Champs Sports - Florida State vs. Notre Dame

Florida State

Valero Alamo - Washington vs. Baylor

Baylor

Bell Helicopter Armed Forces - BYU vs. Tulsa

Tulsa

New Era Pinstripe - Rutgers vs. Iowa State

Rutgers

Franklin American Mortgage Music City - Mississippi State vs. Wake Forest

Mississippi State

Insight - Iowa vs. Oklahoma

Oklahoma

Meineke Car Care of Texas - Texas A&M vs. Northwestern

Texas A&M

Hyundai Sun - Georgia Tech vs. Utah

Utah

AutoZone Liberty - Cincinnati vs. Vanderbilt

Cincinnati

Kraft Fight Hunger - Illinois vs. UCLA

Illinois

Chick-fil-A - Virginia vs. Auburn

Auburn

TicketCity - Houston vs. Penn State

Houston

Outback - Michigan State vs. Georgia

Georgia

Capital One - Nebraska vs. South Carolina

South Carolina

Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl - Ohio State vs. Florida

Ohio State

+++Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio - Wisconsin vs. Oregon

Oregon

+++Tostitos Fiesta - Stanford vs. Oklahoma State

Stanford

+++Allstate Sugar - Michigan vs. Virginia Tech

Michigan

+++Discover Orange - West Virginia vs. Clemson

Clemson

AT&T Cotton - Kansas State vs. Arkansas

Arkansas

BBVA Compass Bowl - SMU vs. Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh

GoDaddy.com - Arkansas State vs. Northern Illinois

Northern Illinois

+++Allstate BCS National Championship Game - LSU vs. Alabama

LSU

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-16 22:04:33

At 12/15/11 10:14 PM, Travis wrote:
At 12/15/11 09:58 PM, reverend wrote: So much for my gamble picking the Jags; 27-0 start of the 3rd.

Also don't forget to make your bowl picks soon if you are interested.
The Jaguars got them right where they want them... lol.

Del Rio was fired. The Jags probably cannot wait for the offseason.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-16 22:37:00

Bears WR Sam Hurd got arrested for trying to buy 5-10 kilos of coke and a thousand pounds of weed from an undercover officer. What was he trying to be, the NFL's version of Scarface or something? I guess having a 3 year, $5,000,000 contract wasn't enough, especially since he rarely plays outside of special teams.

What makes it worse is that there are rumors that other players are part of the drug ring as well. It's very awkward that your WR could be running routes on Sunday, and then running drugs the next day, not that players haven't done illegal things in the past during the season, but slinging coke and the chronic, that's not good.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-17 11:53:45

Several NCAA bowl games today and a match-up between Dallas and Tampa Bay should make for a good day of football. Though I'm still curious as to why we're getting an NFL game today. It looks as if they're competing with college ball for ratings, since their game is sandwiched between two of the bowl games today...

Was there a scheduling hiccup or something? I really don't know...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-17 12:17:13

Because the NFL can basically. Since this is the time of year when college teams do not play regularly and bowl game constitute exhibition play, it doesn't violate their Anti-trust ruling.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-17 17:28:50

One bowl down, thirty odd more to go. Are you hyped up for the Potato Bowl!!

No? Me neither. Seriously I feel sorry for the two teams who have to go to middle of nowhere Idaho and play on some ugly blue field in the winter. That more like a punishment more than a reward for having a decent season.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-17 17:56:49

Still on phone, Dallas

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 09:11:56

At 12/17/11 05:28 PM, reverend wrote: One bowl down, thirty odd more to go. Are you hyped up for the Potato Bowl!!

No? Me neither. Seriously I feel sorry for the two teams who have to go to middle of nowhere Idaho and play on some ugly blue field in the winter. That more like a punishment more than a reward for having a decent season.

The only bowl that I care is the national championship game.
Bow down to the SEC or die! >:)

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 10:23:27

At 12/14/11 03:59 AM, reverend wrote:
Sunday
Carolina at Houston - Texans

Texans

Washington at NY Giants - Giants

Giants

Miami at Buffalo - Bills

Bills

Seattle at Chicago - Bears

Bears

New Orleans at Minnesota - Saints

Saints

Cincinnati at St. Louis - Bengals

Bengals

Tennessee at Indianapolis - Titians

Titans

Green Bay at Kansas City - Packers

Packers

Detroit at Oakland - Raiders

Lions

New England at Denver - Patriots

Patriots

NY Jets at Philadelphia - Eagles

Eagles

Cleveland at Arizona - Cards

Cards

Baltimore at San Diego - Ravens

Ravens

Monday
Pittsburgh at San Francisco - Steelers

Steelers

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 12:01:05

Pro Bowl ballot ends tomorrow so anyone's interested feel free to stuff the ballot for a meaningless exhibition game.

I can understand Manning being behind Rodgers and Brees but when even Newton and Stafford received more votes, this pretty much tells you what it is, a popularity contest.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 15:09:46

At 12/18/11 12:01 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Newton and Stafford received more votes, this pretty much tells you what it is, a popularity contest.

Because Newton and Stafford haven't both had good seasons.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 15:22:33

Packers! What are you doing?!
Also Giants! What are you doing?!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 16:17:40

At 12/18/11 03:22 PM, reverend wrote: Packers! What are you doing?!

Losing while the Colts break their losing streak. It's been Bizarro day in the NFL today.

American Football Discussion

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 17:57:25

At 12/18/11 03:09 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 12/18/11 12:01 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Newton and Stafford received more votes, this pretty much tells you what it is, a popularity contest.

Eli edges Stafford on the numbers that had, however the surprising success Lions had led the voters to go for him.

As for Newton, it's good for a rookie year but overall, he sucked.

As I said before, it's a popularity contest.

Also keep in mind the Pierre-Paul who is the only one in the Giants defense who did something for this season and he didn't receive any recognition while Osi Umenyiora on the other hand...

It's a joke.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 18:41:07

At 12/18/11 05:57 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
Eli edges Stafford on the numbers that had, however the surprising success Lions had led the voters to go for him.

As for Newton, it's good for a rookie year but overall, he sucked.

As I said before, it's a popularity contest.

Because the New York Giants would lose a popularity contest with the Panthers or the Lions

It's not always about stats it's about impact

Hence why London Fletcher didn't get a Pro Bowl for the longest time with Buffalo, because the numbers didn't mean a thing to a team that went nowhere.

Newton has shattered rookie records and Stafford made the Lions relevant in the playoff discussion for the first time since Sanders.

Meanwhile Eli is just disappointing everyone like he always does.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 19:17:48

At 12/18/11 06:41 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

If it's about the impact then explain why did the 2006 Patriots had one pro-bowler despite their 12-4 record?

11-5 Jags in 2007 having the same number as the 9-7 Buccaneers?

And Eli being disappointing? The recent game, yes he's awful but on the previous games he carried the team as far as he can go only to fall short due to the defensive meltdown that have been placing them behind as soon as it begins.

If you want disappointment, same can be applied to Stafford as his team went 3-5 after their impressive 5-0 start.

More importantly, if you honestly think Newton is having a better year than Eli then you have another think coming.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 19:27:12

Another thing, Newton shattering rookie records?

Maybe in yards passed, but on TD-INT at this point: 15-16

Also for impact, Panthers record is 4-9.

Not to mention there are better rookie years post by other QBs, if you want me to list some feel free to ask.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 19:50:24

I'm just saying it's not just a popularity contest

Obviously the popularity of a player is going to factor, I mean, it's a public poll and everything revolves around popularity. Thing is they're popular for a reason. Oftentimes players get in just for playing on the Cowboys but other times it's because they're actually really good players.

I'm sure Cam has a lot of support coming out of Auburn's fanbase as well as Carolina's but I still don't think that'd be enough to counter the tide of fairweather Giant fans out there. Fact of the matter is Cam Newton is far more exciting to watch and so he's more popular.

You can say Eli is a better player but his team is 7-7 and if they don't make the playoffs then they'll be sitting at home watching the playoffs on TV just like the Panthers so that's not really as relevant as you'd think.

As far as I am concerned Cam Newton and Matt Stafford do deserve the spots more and that's just how it is.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 19:59:30

At 12/18/11 07:50 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

I'm sure Cam has a lot of support coming out of Auburn's fanbase as well as Carolina's but I still don't think that'd be enough to counter the tide of fairweather Giant fans out there. Fact of the matter is Cam Newton is far more exciting to watch and so he's more popular.

Well the tide didn't show up so Newton won't have to worry about that. More importantly if excitement makes Newton "deserving" then I guess players will have to start becoming wild by coming up with trick plays.

So you're saying that the hype he had due to success in college carried over to the pros? Well that I would agreed, when this happens the player like Newton would have a following. Just like what Tebow is getting right now.

You can say Eli is a better player but his team is 7-7 and if they don't make the playoffs then they'll be sitting at home watching the playoffs on TV just like the Panthers so that's not really as relevant as you'd think.

Despite the possible following Newton had from his college days? Okay.

As far as I am concerned Cam Newton and Matt Stafford do deserve the spots more and that's just how it is.

I would give Stafford a benefit of doubt despite having the same problem Eli has in the second half. As for Cam Newton, why would he be the more deserving of the pro bowl spot?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 19:59:54

At 12/18/11 06:41 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 12/18/11 05:57 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 12/18/11 12:01 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:

You do realize that Eli is the offense for the New York Giants, considering the running game has been spotty at best, and he has a lot of 4th quarter comebacks this year. Not to mention the fact that he has over 4,100 yards passing and 25 TDs this season makes him more than worthy for a Pro Bowl selection. But I guess fans are going to overlook all that, and that's one of the reasons why the Pro Bowl is a freaking joke now.

And if you think that Eli not getting in is due to fan voting is bad enough, Tim Tebow is going to get in, despite putting up crappy numbers over more deserving QB's like Andy Dalton. Yes, I get that Tebow is 7-2 in his starts and all, but it's insane to think that Tebow deserves to be in the Pro Bowl for having mediocre stats throughout much of this season.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 20:15:57

At 12/18/11 07:59 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
I would give Stafford a benefit of doubt despite having the same problem Eli has in the second half. As for Cam Newton, why would he be the more deserving of the pro bowl spot?

Because he is a rookie and has broken rookie and overall records this season.

Is it entirely fair? No, probably not, but regardless he deserves that spot. More than anything I think it's unfair to say Cam doesn't deserve that spot, because he does.

I hate the Giants, especially Eli Manning, so I am probably the last one to advocate his deserving anything but even I can see that there is something off about it all.

So maybe Cam doesn't have the best stats by comparison, but I think when you consider where the Panthers were a season ago and what he has done to not only make that team a threat but also make them a team people actually look at on Sunday, it's more fair than it seems.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 20:18:51

At 12/18/11 08:15 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Because he is a rookie and has broken rookie and overall records this season.

Care to name what records he have broken? Maybe rookies yards passed but overall, not much to brag about.

Is it entirely fair? No, probably not, but regardless he deserves that spot. More than anything I think it's unfair to say Cam doesn't deserve that spot, because he does.

So he deserve the spot because he does? Okay.

I hate the Giants, especially Eli Manning, so I am probably the last one to advocate his deserving anything but even I can see that there is something off about it all.

Thank you for your honesty.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 20:32:56

At 12/18/11 08:18 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
Care to name what records he have broken? Maybe rookies yards passed but overall, not much to brag about.

The ones I know he has are most passing yards in a game by a rookie, rushing TD's by a QB in a single season, and then the rookie passing yards overall. All of them rather impressive and putting him in the company of other impressive players.

So he deserve the spot because he does? Okay.

No he deserves it because he is a really good player.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 21:28:49

At 12/18/11 08:32 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

The ones I know he has are most passing yards in a game by a rookie, rushing TD's by a QB in a single season, and then the rookie passing yards overall. All of them rather impressive and putting him in the company of other impressive players.

So his season ranks with the rookie seasons which includes the ones by Dan Marino, Ben Roethisberger, and Matt Ryan?

Newton's rushing stats would make him more of a version of Vince Young and Michael Vick.

So he's a really good player with bad stats.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-18 22:39:28

At 12/18/11 08:32 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

That may be, but at the same side of the coin, he has only 5 wins to his credit. Granted, the defense in Carolina is pathetic, and other than Steve Smith, they really don't have good WRs around him, but in the end, Eli has better stats and more wins than Newton, and it's not right for Newton to get the Pro Bowl and Eli gets snubbed.

Not like it matters in the end though, but my point still stands.

I'm not saying that Cam isn't a good player, he is, but there is a huge glut of great QBs in the NFC right now, and Eli leads in wins, stats and experience over Newton, which means Eli should get the nod. Although as I said before, it doesn't matter because it's not like either one of them are going to play more than a quarter and a half in the Pro Bowl, if that.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-19 00:43:29

At 12/18/11 03:22 PM, reverend wrote: Packers! What are you doing?!

Also Colts! It was a strange day of football today. I actually got to watch a lot of the games since I wasn't busy with schoolwork for once, and it was very relaxing. Unfortunately pretty much all of my picks had to go and lose... But that's ok. I don't think anyone could have predicted all the unfolded today. Now I'm sure Monday Night the Steelers are gonna tie the 49ers just for fun.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-19 10:19:17

Broncos lost, Broncos lost!
Take that sack, Tebow! >:D

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-20 00:33:23

John Harbaugh better get his brother Jim something really nice for Christmas now. I'm 10-6 for this week I believe, not too good but it was a pretty odd week of football.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-12-20 04:22:38

At 12/20/11 12:39 AM, Travis wrote: Damn... I figured the Steelers would come through.

What a shit week.

Rankings please Rev.

So happy I bet on the 49ers!!!