00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

advocate6975 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

297,281 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-13 21:03:48

At 10/13/09 03:05 AM, reverend wrote: You said it. What they should do is trade TO, since you know he is leaving after this season anyways, for some mid-draft picks or try and get a decent QB. I think the TO experiment Buffalo is over.

It assuredly is, as he's faded out of the O thanks in part to Jauron and Edwards. However, what team wants to take on his publicity, baggage, and salary for a declining star who demands double-digit targets every game and drops at least three to four of those targets?

The 49ers as a return would make some degree of sense, especially since I think Singletary could be one of the few coaches to whip TO into shape (given that Mike is fucking crazy), but with the money tied up in Crabtree now and their continued devotion to attempting to develop Josh Morgan (who has the ball-dropping skills that TO has now), I don't know.

The Ravens make some sense...I think Ray Lewis could help keep Terrell in line, and they need a big-play receiver to complement another steady veteran in Derrick Mason. Kelly Washington's days of WR relevance look to be over, Demetrius Williams has proven a bust thus far, and Mark Clayton looks more like the continually-regressing Clayton that we've seen each year after his 930yd, 5 TD sophomore season a few years back.

TO would draw attention from the opposing D and would really help stretch the field for possession receivers like Clayton and Mason and Todd Heap. As well, if teams still choose to give him double coverage on occasion, that gives the running game another dimension, which I don't think anyone would want to mess with. Ray Rice is a beast in a tiny package, McGahee can still plow (though not really sprint), and McClain is a Mack truck. Flacco would be aided by a target like TO as well, because other than Mason, he doesn't really have to target a lot of guys and ends up doing a lot of passing around on offense, tossing to Rice or Heap.

The Titans could be a landing spot too imo, with the whole offense struggling, especially the pass game. Nate Washington is not a WR1, and TO would bump him to WR2 sliding Justin Gage to 3rd receiver and making the passing game a lot more dangerous, and again helping to spread the field for Alge Crumpler (remember when he was good?), Chris Johnson and LenDale White.

Bears would be a good landing spot too, because Cutler always ends up having good rapport with players like TO (shit, Brandon Marshall's nickname is Baby TO), and Earl Bennett is better as a 3rd receiver. Johnny Knox is by no means bad, but I think he'd be more dangerous as a returner, since they don't seem to want to return Devin Hester to that role and Hester is not a WR1 either.

So even without considering pay, draft picks, cap space, public presence, ESPN coverage, etc., you're looking at four teams that would make sense for Owens to go to: Baltimore, Chicago, San Fran, and Tennessee.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-13 21:23:13

At 10/13/09 09:03 PM, Buddhist wrote: Bears would be a good landing spot too, because Cutler always ends up having good rapport with players like TO (shit, Brandon Marshall's nickname is Baby TO), and Earl Bennett is better as a 3rd receiver. Johnny Knox is by no means bad, but I think he'd be more dangerous as a returner, since they don't seem to want to return Devin Hester to that role and Hester is not a WR1 either.

As much as I acknowledge that he's one of the best WR's to play the game, I would absolutely hate for him to be on my favorite team. I would rather draft a receiver in the first round hoping he could develop into a #1 than accept the headaches that will (not might) come if TO comes to town. I can easily see him and Olin Kreutz going after each other because while Olin doesn't get much press, he's easily the top offensive locker room leader on the team and he goes after anyone who is causing problems or situations detrimental to the team. There's too much going against him, not to mention the Bears make extensive use of their TE's for receiving to justify going after him.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 00:22:54

At 10/13/09 02:57 AM, reverend wrote: Week 5 Standings

We could also just have 2 winners; percentage and total. Of course, you can't just have some one walk in week 15 and get a .900 win percentage. But we can make a cap like pick for at least 5 weeks.

Also, I'm hoping I continue my 3 week streak of most wins.

At 10/13/09 03:05 AM, reverend wrote: Which coach is going to get fired first?
A. Jack Del Rio (Jags)

Probably not. He's had relative success there, and isn't on the hot seat for 1 bad year. Besides, there aren't any decent replacements around that would do as good of a job as Del Rio.

B. Tom Cable (Raiders)

Possible. Davis likes to switch coaches like a girl switches tampons. He also hasn't developed Russell too much. Maybe at the end of the season.

C. Dick Jaron (Bills)

Not sure how long he's been in Buffalo. Personally, I think he has the most to worry about. TO is costing the Bills big bucks, and Jaron needs to build more gameplans around him in order to foster a winning team. If the Bills don't start to win, I'd give him until the end of the year.

TL;DR - My pick.

D. Steve Spagnuolo (Rams)

Brand new coach, and the best defensive coaches in the game. Of course, that title only came once Jim Johnson died, but that's besides the point. First year, working with a bad team. I expect a decent Rams team within the next 2 years, as long as Limbaugh doesn't buy it.

E. Jim Zorn (Redskins)

He's had some success, particularly last year. It's been rough this year, but the Zorn will have a job for a few more years as Head Coach in Washington.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 02:19:29

Houston at Cincinnati - Cincinnati
Detroit at Green Bay - Green Bay
Baltimore at Minnesota - Minnesota
NY Giants at New Orleans - New Orleans
Cleveland at Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh
Carolina at Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay
Kansas City at Washington - Kansas City
St. Louis at Jacksonville - Jacksonville
Arizona at Seattle - Arizona
Philadelphia at Oakland - Philadelphia
Tennessee at New England - Tennessee
Buffalo at NY Jets - NY Jets
Chicago at Atlanta - Chicago
Denver at San Diego - San Diego

My Poetry Album "Out of Sight"

-- Shy2Authentik --

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 03:52:29

Week 6 Schedule:
Houston at Cincinnati -

Tough one, but I'm going to have to go with Houston. The Cats can't always be Cardiac.

Detroit at Green Bay -

Detroit shows Green Bay the North is a lot more competitive than they thought.

Baltimore at Minnesota -

Brett and Adrian find a defense... a real defense. Ravens

NY Giants at New Orleans -

Toughest match. I'll have to go with Eli and Giants. Eli is just on fire lately and the Saints are coming off a bye.

Cleveland at Pittsburgh -

Cle... hahahaha Pittsburgh

Carolina at Tampa Bay -

Carolina gets two in a row against a team on my 0-16 list.

Kansas City at Washington -

Kansas City gets their first win against one of the two teams that keeps letting winless teams win.

St. Louis at Jacksonville -

Jacksonville can hopefully handle the Rams.

Arizona at Seattle -

Seattle can win if Hasselbeck is playing, so I'll go with him. Better yet, maybe the Hawks will wear that blinding green again. Seahawks

Philadelphia at Oakland -

Donovan McNabb shines a Jamarcus goes 3-3,000,000 for 300 yards. Eagles

Tennessee at New England -

New England hasn't lost two games in a row in a while, and they won't be doing that any time soon against Tennessee. Please, Tennessee, Kerry is dead. At least with Vince you'll have a scapegoat. Patriots

Buffalo at NY Jets -

If the Jets lose this I think I will be a very confused Bills fan. Jets

Chicago at Atlanta - Matt Ryan is now a legitimate monster. If Roddy White can torch the 49ers D, I'd hate to see what the two of them can do against Chicago's. Falcons
Denver at San Diego - If Denver wins this one, then Coach McD is legit. I'm gonna have to go with the real quarterback in this one, not Captain Checkdown, Sr. Chargers.

Bye: Dallas, Indianapolis, Miami, San Francisco

What the hell. Peyton's playing so well that he's still gonna throw for 300 yards this week, even if it's just his backyard.

I think...I hate... dick.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 05:46:40

bungles
packers
vikings
saints
steelers
bucs
skins
jags
hawks
iggles
pats
J-E-T-S
falcons
broncos

zorn gets fired if he loses this week. cable gets fired shortly afterwards

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 17:45:49

All people look at with Cable is that fight and the record. Cable is getting a lot of support in Oakland. The guy likes fundamental football, and he's done a good job at instilling those values into the Raiders. Yeah, the team is sucking, but that's to be expected after seeing how most of the players are playing combined with all these damn injuries. I don't think Cable is in very hot water. The team connects with him, and that's something an oakland coach has brought to the table in a long time. I'm nearly certain he'll finish up the season, make decisions during the offseason, and how the team does in the first 7 or 8 games next season will decide his fate.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 18:55:03

Week 6 Schedule:
Houston at Cincinnati - Cincy
Baltimore at Minnesota - Minnesota
Carolina at Tampa Bay - Carolina
Philadelphia at Oakland - Philly
Tennessee at New England - New England
Buffalo at NY Jets - Jets

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 19:23:54

At 10/14/09 05:45 PM, michelinman wrote: All people look at with Cable is that fight and the record.

But Al Davis is his boss. You could do marginally well for the team they have and still get fired.

Then he'll hire some average piece of shit, give him an insane contract, and not develop him

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 20:34:52

At 10/14/09 07:23 PM, TheThing wrote: But Al Davis is his boss. You could do marginally well for the team they have and still get fired.

Then he'll hire some average piece of shit, give him an insane contract, and not develop him

*retreats*

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 20:48:09

At 10/13/09 02:57 AM, reverend wrote: Week 6 Schedule:
Houston at Cincinnati -

Cincinnati has reverted to it's old self, in the sense of 2005/2006.
Bengals

Detroit at Green Bay -

Should be an easy win for Green Bay, although this may end up closer than anyone would have thought.
Packers

Baltimore at Minnesota -

Good matchup. Minnesota still looks awesome though, and I doubt Baltimore will win.
Vikings

NYG fan all day. Even still, New Orleans hasn't convinced me it can be a playoff team. Still too inconsistent.
Giants.

Although Cleveland won last week and Pittsburgh hasn't really been too impressive since Week 2, Pittsburgh will win.
Steelers.

Carolina at Tampa Bay -

Horrible matchup. Neither of these teams are too good, but this will be my underdog pick of the week, which hasn't lost yet.
Buccaneers

Once again, 2 horrible teams, but I think that, even with a loss to Detroit, Washington will squeak this out
Redskins.

Meh, another poor match up.
Jaguars.

Arizona at Seattle -

Could be interesting, could be complete shit. But either way, this team will win.
Cardinals.

Nothing like a good old Fagles game. I could see this being Philly's "off" week, and the score coming insanely close. But the Raiders are the Raiders.
Eagles.

Might have been interesting a year or 2 ago, but now it's meh. New England is starting to find their stride and Tennessee keeps on digging a deeper grave.
Patriots.

Buffalo at NY Jets -

If TO had showed up in any game this season, it could be a fun match. But with Braylon Edwards, New York is too powerful this year.
Jets.

Chicago at Atlanta -

Another meh game. Not exactly sure who's worse. But Atlanta hasn't really shown anything decent this year.
Bears

Denver at San Diego -

I think this is the game of the week; nothing else has shown the promise this game does, as long as San Diego shows up. Denver has had a lot of close calls, and I think their reign may end soon. But not here.
Broncos.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 21:15:50

Week 6 Schedule:

Houston at Cincinnati -

Cincinnati

Detroit at Green Bay -

Green Bay

Baltimore at Minnesota -

Minnesota

NY Giants

Pittsburgh

Carolina at Tampa Bay -

Carolina

Kansas City

Jacksonville

Arizona at Seattle -

Arizona

Philadelphia

New England

Buffalo at NY Jets -

Ny Jets, sorry buffalo; no way your going to win.

Chicago at Atlanta -

Atlanta

Denver at San Diego -

Denver

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 22:01:06

At 10/14/09 09:58 PM, iBagel wrote: Don't you mean McNair is dead?

too soon?

I loled heartily. And no, I don't think it's too soon.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 22:16:15

At 10/14/09 10:01 PM, michelinman wrote:

too soon?
I loled heartily. And no, I don't think it's too soon.

You should've seen the comments on the youtube videos regarding McNair, some celebrated his death, hypocrites.

Anyway the Titans should try to get McNair's ghost to possess Kerry Collins, but then that could lead to that n-word incident if you know what I mean. Remember he was that n-word guy back when he was with the Panthers.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-14 22:17:06

too soon?

I wouldn't say too soon.... but it wasn't funny.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 01:36:21

At 10/14/09 10:45 PM, iBagel wrote: Cleveland at Pittsburgh -

Self explanitory.

Not really. Be explicit in your picks because I can't read minds just yet.

---

Wk 6 Picks:
Bengals
Packers
Ravens
Saints
Steelers
Panthers
Chiefs
Jags
Cards
Eagles
Pats
Jets
Falcons
Broncos

Oh yeah, my coach's poll: Zorn, Cable, and Jaron.

Zorn's seat is on fire at the moment and I don't think we'll see him after the Redskins' bye week (wk 8).

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 01:52:36

At 10/14/09 10:45 PM, iBagel wrote: As much as I hate to say it, Chicago. The Cutler fiasco made me hate the guy but hey, Orton's doin pretty good too, huh?

He's actually getting MVP votes.. Anyone else think the Broncos quick start is a fluke?

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 03:15:58

At 10/15/09 01:52 AM, michelinman wrote: Anyone else think the Broncos quick start is a fluke?

The win against Cincinnati was a fluke, straight up. Two of their wins also came against the Raiders and Browns, which I mean... COME ON. I also think it's safe to say that beating the Cowboys this season is nothing to brag about either. Then last week their defense made up for a lot and stole them a game that for the most part they didn't deserve to win.

So yeah, I think lady luck has played a big part in their season so far, but that being said 5-0 is 5-0 and I don't think you can discount them just because their wins haven't been pretty. Though I wouldn't go crowning them the team to beat just yet.

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 09:53:19

Week 6 Schedule:

I'd like to mention I think these picks are some of the hardest so far.

Houston at Cincinnati -

Houston is better than their record, but you got to ride a hot Cincinnati team.

Bengals

Detroit at Green Bay -

Detroit is also better than their record..

Green Bay

Baltimore at Minnesota -

Ouch, I really don't know.

Minnesota

Again, a toughy..

New Orleans

Pittsburgh

Carolina at Tampa Bay -

Carolina

Is this even an upset?

Kansas City

Jacksonville

Arizona at Seattle -

I'm going to go with the revamped team here..

Seattle

Philly

Patriots

Buffalo at NY Jets -

Jets

Chicago at Atlanta -

Bears are a good team, but..

Atlanta

Denver at San Diego -

I still think San Diego is going to win, but since I went against Denver the last two weeks and were wrong..

Denver

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 11:29:00

Monday Night Football!!!

Week 6 Schedule:

Houston at Cincinnati

Bengals

Detroit at Green Bay

Packers

Baltimore at Minnesota

Ravens

NY Giants at New Orleans

Saints

Cleveland at Pittsburgh

Steelers

Carolina at Tampa Bay

Panthers

Kansas City at Washington

Redskins

St. Louis at Jacksonville

Jaguars

Arizona at Seattle

Cardinals

Philadelphia at Oakland

Eagles

Tennessee at New England

Patriots

Buffalo at NY Jets

Jets

Chicago at Atlanta

Da Bears

Denver at San Diego

Chargers are gonna end it.

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 12:00:21

At 10/13/09 02:57 AM, reverend wrote:

Hardest week by far coming up.

Baltimore at Minnesota - Baltimore
Kansas City at Washington - Washington

Nobody feels confident in their picks this week i guarentee,especially after last week's debacle.

New logos for the win. ^_^

American Football Discussion

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 12:09:40

At 10/15/09 12:00 PM, Molotov wrote: New logos for the win. ^_^

The Rams and Browns made me smile.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 14:59:23

At 10/13/09 02:57 AM, reverend wrote: Week 5 Standings

Most Wins This Week:
jonthomson, TheThing, SlntCobra1, and reverend - 11 wins

WHOOHOO!! I got in the Most Wins This Week!! YAY!!!

>>>15 ] [ 36 - 24 ] [ .600% ] [ SlntCobra1, 10 ]

Week 6 Schedule:
Houston at Cincinnati - Bengals
Detroit at Green Bay - Packers
Baltimore at Minnesota - Vikings
NY Giants at New Orleans - Giants
Cleveland at Pittsburgh - Steelers
Carolina at Tampa Bay - Panthers
Kansas City at Washington - Red Skins
St. Louis at Jacksonville - Rams, the Jaguars haven't been having a good season thus far.
Arizona at Seattle - Seahawks
Philadelphia at Oakland - Eagles
Tennessee at New England - Patriots
Buffalo at NY Jets - Bills
Chicago at Atlanta - Falcons, they've been doing rather well.
Denver at San Diego - Broncos

Now, I play the waiting game.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 19:52:49

At 10/15/09 12:09 PM, 36Holla wrote:

I don't really get the Browns one. Is that supposed to be L for Loser?

But the rest are hilarious.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 20:03:51

I liked that for the Bucs they just reapplied their logo from the 70s and 80s.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 21:09:30

At 10/15/09 07:52 PM, TheThing wrote:
At 10/15/09 12:09 PM, 36Holla wrote:
I don't really get the Browns one. Is that supposed to be L for Loser?

That's hitting the nail on the head.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 22:59:33

At 10/15/09 08:03 PM, Buddhist wrote: I liked that for the Bucs they just reapplied their logo from the 70s and 80s.

That was when they were new in the league, and went 0-23 over their first 2 seasons. They won about 10 games into their second season.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-15 23:04:30

At 10/15/09 10:59 PM, TheThing wrote: That was when they were new in the league, and went 0-23 over their first 2 seasons. They won about 10 games into their second season.

They went to the playoffs ONE time while in that uniform if I'm not mistaken. I can't be bothered to google it to be sure, but it sounds right. One year when Steve Young was starting to get good.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-16 09:43:15

At 10/15/09 11:04 PM, michelinman wrote:
At 10/15/09 10:59 PM, TheThing wrote: That was when they were new in the league, and went 0-23 over their first 2 seasons. They won about 10 games into their second season.
They went to the playoffs ONE time while in that uniform if I'm not mistaken. I can't be bothered to google it to be sure, but it sounds right. One year when Steve Young was starting to get good.

They thought Steve Young's a bust when the problem's actually themselves, Lee Roy Selmon was the only good player they had that time. Doug Williams did okay but what he could've done for other team had he been somewhere else earlier is something we'll never know, granted he did helped the Redskins win in 1987.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-16 10:11:47

Baltimore at Minnesota - Baltimore
NY Giants at New Orleans - NY Giants
Arizona at Seattle - Seattle
Denver at San Diego - Denver

My name is pepeatumi... But you already knew that!