00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

babydash65 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

296,096 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-20 22:03:56

At 10/20/09 08:36 PM, Fro wrote:
At 10/20/09 07:50 PM, TheThing wrote:
It doesn't matter man. If they wanted to rub it in or run the score up they could have scored 100 points that game. They didn't rub it in and they followed the rule of thumb. Or at least it was a rule of thumb when I played in organized football. You can keep some of your starters in for one or two more drives and then after that take them out.

Alright, but they went above and beyond "one or two drives". They went 2 or 3 more touchdowns. I'm sure after the score was 31-0, or even 38-0, Belichick would have pulled his starters. But he kept them in for another touchdown or 2 before letting time run out.

Like I said, you never know what the hell is going to happen. That team that we played was terrible, but they got lucky again after again and ended up making it a close game in just one single quarter even though we were up by 30+ points.

That's not professional football. In high school (or whatever level you're talking about), just about everyone is on the same level, with a few exceptions that are better. There are going to be teams that are slightly worse, but when given the opportunity, can win games. Just because the players are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money doesn't mean they're all the same. You wouldn't compare, say the Texans defense to the Giants or Ravens defense would you?

You'd feel like a dick if you took your starters out and the team came back to win right?

Of course, you would feel like a dick if, as 36 said, Brady, Moss, or any of the other big names got hurt. They didn't need to be in there when they have such a massive lead, and can always be put back in if the Titans threaten again. It's not like benching Brady for a quarter will suddenly turn his arm muscles into goo; he did just throw for 6 TD's and about 600 yards.

I mean things happen all the time that you are almost 100 percent certain that their not going to happen.

Yeah, every season in every sport, there are upsets and wild finishes. But that's not the same as being 100% sure that a shitty 0-5 team won't score 35 points and make the game close.

Highly unlikely, but possible.

It's possible for 22 monkeys to fly out of my ass, create an NFL team, and win the Super Bowl. Highly unlikely, but possible.

And how does my story about a team who almost won after a 30 point deficit not mean anything? That doesn't make sense at all.

Like I said, there's a difference between a high school team and a professional team.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-20 22:52:25

The Patriots don't owe the Titans anything.

Bellichek and his staff have to do what is best for their team, to hell with anybody else and if that means letting your starting players finish at least the first half, then that's what you do. I would do the exact same thing, the first half is too early to make personnel substitutions because of the score. The convention in a blowout is to do exactly what they did, let your players get their feet wet in the third quarter, then take them out.

Also, you're talking about the Titans like they're a bunch of scared children. They are probably the best 0-6 team in history, though that is small consolation. Tennessee was the BEST team in the NFL last season and they started this year with 2 heartbreaking losses against Pittsburgh and Houston, both games in which they played more then well enough to win. They even looked pretty good against the Jets, from there the wheels have fallen off - but I think a lot of that is due to a snowball effect; you tend to get down on yourself and lose confidence when things are going as bad and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Furthermore, I seem to remember an incident in Pittsburgh last year where the Titans were less than courteous in victory themselves:

American Football Discussion

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-21 02:19:52

At 10/20/09 10:52 PM, EternitySpent wrote: The Patriots don't owe the Titans anything.

Bellichek and his staff have to do what is best for their team, to hell with anybody else and if that means letting your starting players finish at least the first half, then that's what you do. I would do the exact same thing, the first half is too early to make personnel substitutions because of the score. The convention in a blowout is to do exactly what they did, let your players get their feet wet in the third quarter, then take them out.

We're not talking about taking them out during the first half (at least I wasn't). It was after the first half that is being disputed as the time for when to take players out. Normally, in ideal conditions, I would agree that mid way through the third quarter is the time to take out starters in a blow out, but this game was special in regards that it was snowing making conditions much more unpredictable and increasing the risk of injury, and how wide the margin of the score was. A lead of 45 points at half time isn't just a blow out, it's rape.

Also, you're talking about the Titans like they're a bunch of scared children. They are probably the best 0-6 team in history, though that is small consolation. Tennessee was the BEST team in the NFL last season and they started this year with 2 heartbreaking losses against Pittsburgh and Houston, both games in which they played more then well enough to win. They even looked pretty good against the Jets, from there the wheels have fallen off - but I think a lot of that is due to a snowball effect; you tend to get down on yourself and lose confidence when things are going as bad and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I concede that the Titans playing badly was their own fault for not being adequately prepared, even though interviews with Jeff Fischer said otherwise that the Titans actually felt good going into the game. Even so, the argument that the Patriots were trying to take care of their own team doesn't make sense when you were really putting their team out there at an increased risk even when the win was in the bag.

Furthermore, I seem to remember an incident in Pittsburgh last year where the Titans were less than courteous in victory themselves:

So you do admit that the Patriots were being douchebags and you support their decisions. Remember, the Patriots made this kind of behavior a trend in 2007-2008 and many of the teams they did it to, didn't have anyone involved in an incident like that in the picture. The best thing to say to that situation is that two wrongs don't make a right.

On a side note, I have Tom Brady on two fantasy teams and I hope that if this situation happens again this year, and the Patriots start doing this again, that he gets injured and goes out for the season. It'd be a fitting lesson for the Patriots and their fans who support this.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-21 23:20:12

At 10/21/09 02:19 AM, 36Holla wrote:

This.

So you do admit that the Patriots were being douchebags and you support their decisions. Remember, the Patriots made this kind of behavior a trend in 2007-2008 and many of the teams they did it to, didn't have anyone involved in an incident like that in the picture. The best thing to say to that situation is that two wrongs don't make a right.

Besides, there's a difference between stomping on a towel and humiliating another team. It was a fucking towel, get over it. Just because it was something that fans wave around to support the Steelers doesn't mean that it's like disemboweling a team, then lynching them with their small intestines as small children danced around them and hit them with sticks, which is what the Patriots did.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-21 23:24:51

Week 7 Schedule:

Green Bay at Cleveland

Packers

San Diego at Kansas City

Chargers

Indianapolis at St. Louis

Colts

Minnesota at Pittsburgh

Vikings

New England at Tampa Bay

Patriots

San Francisco at Houston

Texans

Buffalo at Carolina

Bills

NY Jets at Oakland

Jets

Atlanta at Dallas

Cowboys

Chicago at Cincinnati

Bears

New Orleans at Miami

Saints

Arizona at NY Giants

Giants

Philadelphia at Washington

Eagles

I'm just leave this here. Feel free to discuss whether Belichick will run up the score on a Tampa Bay team who has no known offense or defense in London.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-22 01:11:59

At 10/20/09 02:14 AM, reverend wrote:
Week 6 Standings

[Rank] [ W - L ] [ Win% ] [ User, Win% Rank ]
>>>14 ] [ 44 - 30 ] [ .595% ] [ SlntCobra1, 15 ]
Cool, I'm moving up in the ranks.

Week 7 Schedule:

Green Bay at Cleveland: Packers
San Diego at Kansas City: Chiefs, I just hate the Chargers. :P
Indianapolis at St. Louis: Colts, I like Peyton Manning.
Minnesota at Pittsburgh: As much as I like Favre, I'm gonna have to side with the Steelers.
New England at Tampa Bay: Patriots
San Francisco at Houston: 49ers.
Buffalo at Carolina: Carolina!!!!!!!
NY Jets at Oakland: Raiders.
Atlanta at Dallas: Cowboys.
Chicago at Cincinnati: Bears.
New Orleans at Miami: Saints.
Arizona at NY Giants: Giants. Super Manning Bros.
Philadelphia at Washington: Eagles.

Now, I play the waiting game, yet again.

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-22 02:30:31

At 10/21/09 02:19 AM, 36Holla wrote: We're not talking about taking them out during the first half (at least I wasn't). I

So you're just saying Brady-Moss shouldn't have played in the second half at all? That may be just, but I don't see what harm the like 1 drive/TD they scored at the beginning of the third quarter did.

Even so, the argument that the Patriots were trying to take care of their own team doesn't make sense

I think it does. If this game was 2 years ago, maybe you're right: Brady shouldn't even leave the locker room after halftime and we'd all be like: "Those crazy Patriots, at it again." But this is a Patriots offense that so far this season has been struggling, the Brady-Moss-connection in particular, and they definitely had something to prove. I think they just needed to get a little bit of that Patriot-swagger back and what better way to do that, then with a game like this.

So you do admit that the Patriots were being douchebags and you support their decisions.

Yeah the Patriots are pretty much douchebags, I mean that's no secret. But of all the incidents/controversy that has been associated with this team, this is one of the few cases where I would consider them relatively blameless.

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you guys, because ultimately it doesn't matter - Belichek isn't one to give two shits about what anyone says or thinks about him anyway, I think we all know that.

At 10/21/09 11:20 PM, TheThing wrote: Besides, there's a difference between stomping on a towel and humiliating another team.

Not really. The point of defacing the towel WAS to humiliate the other team. It's an act of unsportsmanlike conduct, which is what the Patriots are being accused of here.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-22 10:04:14

At 10/20/09 10:03 PM, TheThing wrote:
Alright, but they went above and beyond "one or two drives". They went 2 or 3 more touchdowns. I'm sure after the score was 31-0, or even 38-0, Belichick would have pulled his starters. But he kept them in for another touchdown or 2 before letting time run out.

You keep your starters in till half time. That's obvious. When it's snowing like that you don't know what could happen. Your backup QB (who hasn't played yet this year) could get sacked fumble in the bad weather and they could return it for a touchdown, etc.. Onside kicks, blah blah blah. If a team can score that many points in a half then obviously another team could score that many points in the second half.

That's why you stop them for 1 or 2 drives after halftime and then you pull your starters. That's exactly what they did. After drive number 1 they pulled their starters and back ups were in. Remember that after that first drive the points that they scored were from their back ups.

That's not professional football. In high school (or whatever level you're talking about),

Actually I have played semi-professional football, which is still professional football. I haven't seen as big of upsets before, but I do remember being in a game that we were up by 14-0 at halftime and we ended up losing 40 something to 14, at a semipro level, with ex NFL players, college players, etc...

just about everyone is on the same level, with a few exceptions that are better.

This right here tells me that you know nothing about football or that you haven't ever played in your life. Perhaps you can pick the NFL games, because hell anyone can pick NFL games. If anything it's the total opposite of what you just said and it only takes a little bit of common sense to even figure that out.

In high school everyone makes your team. Even if they aren't any good you have to throw them in there if you don't have anyone better. I remember playing a team where their best player was their fullback, who by the way was a girl. (literally)

We ended up scoring over 60 points on them maybe with back ups in after half time.

Now in college and in the NFL the players are much more closer in terms of talent simply because if they weren't material enough they wouldn't be in the NFL. That means at any moment any of those wide receivers, running backs, defensive backs, etc... can score a touchdown because hell their good enough to be payed to do it. There are going to be teams that are slightly worse, but when given the opportunity, can win games. Just because the players are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money doesn't mean they're all the same.

It's not like benching Brady for a quarter will suddenly turn his arm muscles into goo; he did just throw for 6 TD's and about 600 yards.

They did bench him for over a quarter and a half...

It's possible for 22 monkeys to fly out of my ass, create an NFL team, and win the Super Bowl. Highly unlikely, but possible.

I see. You simply don't understand the difference between impossible and unlikely. That's obviously impossible.

Anyway, I guess I'm done with the subject as we have different views on it. Neither being wrong in itself. I see where you are coming from and would have probably pulled my starters after half time, but if anyone has ever been in game before where a team has caught up you will learn to put them away quickly as it's much easier to rest your players for almost the entire third quarter and fourth quarter instead of having the other team catch up and you have to bring your starters back in late in the fourth with more risk of injury.

At 10/20/09 02:14 AM, reverend wrote: Week 6 Standings

Most Wins This Week:
michelinman - 11 wins

* Sits quietly in 2nd place with 10 wins*

[Rank] [ W - L ] [ Win% ] [ User, Win% Rank ]
>>>06 ] [ 59 - 30 ] [ .663% ] [ Fro, 7 ]

Looks like I'm currently in a good spot to either move down or up in ranks. One good week could almost put me to the top and one bad week could put me down quite a few ranks.

Week 7 Schedule:
Green Bay at Cleveland

Green Bay

San Diego at Kansas City

San Diego

Colts

Minnesota at Pittsburgh

Vikings

New England at Tampa Bay

New England

San Francisco at Houston

Houston

Buffalo at Carolina

Carolina

NY Jets at Oakland

Jets

Atlanta at Dallas

Atlanta

Chicago at Cincinnati

Chicago

New Orleans at Miami

New Orleans

Arizona at NY Giants

Giants

Philly

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-22 11:45:19

At 10/20/09 02:14 AM, reverend wrote:
Green Bay at Cleveland

Green Bay

San Diego at Kansas City

San Diego

Indianapolis

Minnesota at Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh (fuck favre)

New England at Tampa Bay

New England

San Francisco at Houston

San Francisco

Buffalo at Carolina

Carolina

NY Jets at Oakland

NY Jets

Atlanta at Dallas

Dallas (upset pick)

Chicago at Cincinnati

Chicago

New Orleans at Miami

New Orleans

Arizona at NY Giants

NY Giants

Philadelphia

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-22 11:53:55

Green Bay at Cleveland: Green Bay
San Diego at Kansas City: San Diego
Indianapolis at St. Louis: Indy
Minnesota at Pittsburgh Pittsburgh
New England at Tampa Bay: New England
San Francisco at Houston: Houston
Buffalo at Carolina: Carolina
NY Jets at Oakland: Jets
Atlanta at Dallas: Dallas (Toughest choice this week)
Chicago at Cincinnati: Chicago
New Orleans at Miami: New Orleans
Arizona at NY Giants: Giants
Philadelphia at Washington: Philly

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-22 19:25:59

GB
SD
Indy
Pittsburgh
NE
Houston
Carolina
Oakland
ATL
Cincy
Nawlins
NYG
Illadelphia

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-22 22:04:57

At 10/22/09 10:04 AM, Fro wrote: You keep your starters in till half time. That's obvious.

That's convention. A 31 point lead defies convention, which means you should adjust.

When it's snowing like that you don't know what could happen. Your backup QB (who hasn't played yet this year) could get sacked fumble in the bad weather and they could return it for a touchdown, etc.

Or Tom Brady (who is still kind of nursing that ankle injury) could get hit, slide wrong, and hurt himself again. Moss/Welker could have landed awkwardly after a catch and pull a groin or hurt a knee. Just like you said, you don't know what could happen.

If a team can score that many points in a half then obviously another team could score that many points in the second half.

Not really. I doubt the team that has failed to score a single point can suddenly turn around and win a game like that. The Titans offense of late has been struggling, and they probably can't score more than 14-21 points, let alone 31-38. And even if they did get rolling, just put Brady and Moss back in to secure the lead.

That's not professional football. In high school (or whatever level you're talking about),
Actually I have played semi-professional football, which is still professional football. I haven't seen as big of upsets before, but I do remember being in a game that we were up by 14-0 at halftime and we ended up losing 40 something to 14, at a semipro level, with ex NFL players, college players, etc...

just about everyone is on the same level, with a few exceptions that are better.
This right here tells me that you know nothing about football or that you haven't ever played in your life. Perhaps you can pick the NFL games, because hell anyone can pick NFL games. If anything it's the total opposite of what you just said and it only takes a little bit of common sense to even figure that out.

I'm talking about at a high school level, which is what I assumed you're example had come from. If you're going to tell me that there are huge differences between players and teams at that level, you clearly have never seen anything but college and semi- and professional teams. Sure, a high school might have a ringer (professionals have to come from somewhere), but most of the time, there isn't a huge difference in skill levels.

In high school everyone makes your team. Even if they aren't any good you have to throw them in there if you don't have anyone better. I remember playing a team where their best player was their fullback, who by the way was a girl. (literally)

We ended up scoring over 60 points on them maybe with back ups in after half time.

Of course there are going to be horrible teams and great teams. We can recount specific examples all day of great teams and horrible teams. But overall, a hefty majority of players aren't much better or worse than the other players.

Just because the players are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money doesn't mean they're all the same.

I know. That's one of the reasons why the Titans were never going to come back from a 31-38 point deficit. Like I said, I thought you were citing a high school example.

It's not like benching Brady for a quarter will suddenly turn his arm muscles into goo; he did just throw for 6 TD's and about 600 yards.
They did bench him for over a quarter and a half...

That was after scoring 52 points.

I see. You simply don't understand the difference between impossible and unlikely. That's obviously impossible.

You obviously have never heard a joke. Besides, you don't know what I keep in my ass, nor what I can fit in it. Nor the skill level of my monkeys.

Anyway, I guess I'm done with the subject as we have different views on it.

I concur. This debate is pretty much played out. Unless something is posted that really incites me, I'm done.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 00:00:40

Here is my obligatory college football post for this week.

Key Games:
Minnesota at #19 Ohio State
Tennessee at #2 Alabama
Louisville at # 5 Cincinnati
#11 Oregon at Washington
#13 Penn State at Michigan
#8 TCU at #16 Brigham Young
# 3 Texas at Missouri

---

No major games really stand out this week, except for the lowly BCS busters, Cincinnati, TCU and BYU. All have to keep on winning and not look too far ahead, if they want to have a shot at any of the New Years' Day bowls. Also, well see if Lane Kiffin's mouth can actually win a game verses another SEC powerhouse, Alabama.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 00:17:41

At 10/20/09 02:14 AM, reverend wrote: Week 7 Schedule:
Green Bay at Cleveland

Cleveland is staring to come back, Green Bay are still a better team, even if they are only a .500 one.
Packers

San Diego at Kansas City

San Diego blows, but not as much as Kansas City
Chargers.

Indy, hands down.
Colts

Minnesota at Pittsburgh

Should be a great game. 2 tough teams battling it out, hopefully in snow. Tough pick.
Vikings, but could go either way

New England at Tampa Bay

Hopefully New England doesn't take a shit all over Tampa like they did last week in Tennessee
Patriots

San Francisco at Houston

Should be interesting, although not a great game. 2 teams looking to secure their .500 status, although San Fran looks to be doing pretty damn good as of late.
49ers

Buffalo at Carolina

Like the Houston-San Fransisco game, only with 2 teams on a steep decline from the expectations they had.
Bills

NY Jets at Oakland

Well, at least the Raiders have won more games than 4 other teams.
Jets

Atlanta at Dallas

I'm feeling my underdog pick of the week right here.
Falcons

Chicago at Cincinnati

Will Cedric Benson get his revenge on the Bears for cutting him? Yes, as the Cinci cruises to victory
Bengals

New Orleans at Miami

New Orleans looked real good last week. Or would have, if the local networks had any idea on what a good football game would be.
Saints

Arizona at NY Giants

Although they looked bad last week, Arizona is no where near the level the Saints are on.
Giants

Philly has 2 different weeks; one week they look great, the next they look horrible. Last week they looked horrible, time to look good again.
Eagles

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 02:42:31

Green Bay at Cleveland:
Is this even a contest? The Pack.

San Diego at Kansas City:
Chargers. Enough said.

Indianapolis at St. Louis:
Lmao, the Colts are the hottest team in the NFL right now, and St. Louis is the coldest. Indy.

Minnesota at Pittsburgh:
Hmmm tough one... I guess I'll say the Steelers.

New England at Tampa Bay:
Tampa is fucking horrible. 59-0 last week may look like a close game after this one. Not really, but it will be a blowout.

San Francisco at Houston:
Texans, but they are so inconsistent, and it's maddening.

Buffalo at Carolina:
DeAngelo Williams has a genuine shot at breaking the single game rushing record for 1 player. Carolina.

NY Jets at Oakland:
Upset of the week. Sanchez continues to struggle and JaMarcus gets a lucky TD. Raiders.

Atlanta at Dallas:
Falcons.

Chicago at Cincinnati:
Bengals.

New Orleans at Miami:
Saints. No doubt at all.

Arizona at NY Giants:
Arizona continues the rape that the Saints put on the NY secondary. Cards.

Philadelphia at Washington:
Eagles.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 03:00:42

At 10/24/09 02:42 AM, TheBlackDahliaMurder wrote: NY Jets at Oakland:
Upset of the week. Sanchez continues to struggle and JaMarcus gets a lucky TD. Raiders.

I don't think it'd really be much of an upset. The only thing the Raiders have going against them is that whenever they show promise, they turn around and become miserable. Other than that, Oakland is sacking everyone, Sanchez has a terrible O-line, and when he's getting sacked, he fucks up. Last weekend showed that. 5 picks because of the pressure. Trevor Scott, Greg Ellis, and Richard Seymour are gonna be all over Sanchez regardless of how well the rest of the Raiders play, and in the secondary, even with sporadic playing, you've got Asomugha who is one of the best in the league and can make a pick as good as anyone, Johnson, who is really starting to prove himself (he's Deion Sanders little project. The two work together every offseason) and he has quite a few interceptions under his belt so far this year, and Michael Huff, who is leading the AFC in interceptions.

Jamarcus will probably go 10 for 40, but the Jets constantly bring the blitz. He may only hit ten passes, but he LOVES it when the pressure is coming and he can dump the ball with quick easy passes to Zach Miller, Louis Murphy, and the running backs. NOT TO MENTION the best receiver on the team, Chaz Shilens is back for this week after breaking a toe in the preseason. Big moral boost there. Fargas is healthy, and even though he lacks the raw talent of the two younger backs, he's more experienced and much more reliable. He may not bust big gains like McFadden, but he doesn't put the ball on the ground either. This game really has Oakland written all over it.

The only X factor in this game is Thomas Jones. If he can come out and run all over Oakland like he did last week, then I don't see the Raiders staying competitive and eventually, that low work ethic the team has been labeled with this year will prevail. I'm expecting an exciting game though. Definitely will be watching.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 07:24:39

At 10/24/09 03:00 AM, michelinman wrote:
I don't think it'd really be much of an upset.

this, we're only six point dogs. plus they are missing key parts of their run D so fargas/bush should be good for a decent day. not the easiest matchup for Sanchez as stated either.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 13:44:27

Week 7:
Green Bay Packers > Cleveland Browns
San Diego Chargers > Kansas City Chiefs
Indianapolis Colts > St. Louis Rams
Pittsburgh Steelers > Minnesota Vikings - Game of the year so far?
New England Patriots > Tampa Bay Buccaneers
San Fransisco 49ers > Houston Texans
New York Jets > Oakland Raiders - Not an upset, really guys? The Raiders beating ANYONE is an upset.
Carolina Panthers > Buffalo Bills
Chicago Bears > Cincinnati Bengals
Dallas Cowboys > Atlanta Falcons
New Orleans Saints > Miami Dolphins
Arizona Cardinals > New York Giants - My upset pick.
Philadelphia Eagles > Washington Redskins

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 15:35:43

At 10/24/09 03:00 AM, michelinman wrote:
At 10/24/09 02:42 AM, TheBlackDahliaMurder wrote: NY Jets at Oakland:
I don't think it'd really be much of an upset. The only thing the Raiders have going against them is that whenever they show promise, they turn around and become miserable. Other than that, Oakland is sacking everyone, Sanchez has a terrible O-line, and when he's getting sacked, he fucks up. Last weekend showed that. 5 picks because of the pressure. Trevor Scott, Greg Ellis, and Richard Seymour are gonna be all over Sanchez regardless of how well the rest of the Raiders play, and in the secondary, even with sporadic playing, you've got Asomugha who is one of the best in the league and can make a pick as good as anyone, Johnson, who is really starting to prove himself (he's Deion Sanders little project. The two work together every offseason) and he has quite a few interceptions under his belt so far this year, and Michael Huff, who is leading the AFC in interceptions.

Jamarcus will probably go 10 for 40, but the Jets constantly bring the blitz. He may only hit ten passes, but he LOVES it when the pressure is coming and he can dump the ball with quick easy passes to Zach Miller, Louis Murphy, and the running backs. NOT TO MENTION the best receiver on the team, Chaz Shilens is back for this week after breaking a toe in the preseason. Big moral boost there. Fargas is healthy, and even though he lacks the raw talent of the two younger backs, he's more experienced and much more reliable. He may not bust big gains like McFadden, but he doesn't put the ball on the ground either. This game really has Oakland written all over it.

The only X factor in this game is Thomas Jones. If he can come out and run all over Oakland like he did last week, then I don't see the Raiders staying competitive and eventually, that low work ethic the team has been labeled with this year will prevail. I'm expecting an exciting game though. Definitely will be watching.

Since when does Sanchez have a terrible o-line? They actually have an elite o-line.
LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Above average LT)
LG - Alan Faneca (5 time all-pro, 8 time probowler, etc.)
C - Nick Mangold (Elite center)
RG - Brandon Moore (Elite OG)
RT - Damian Woody (Above average RT)

Sanchez threw 5 picks because the Bills' secondary is really damn good, and it was really windy (Sanchez had never played in anything lower than 50 degree weather ever), plus he's still a rookie.

The Jets lost Kris Jenkins for the year, now their run D is going to suck. And you don't have to worry about Thomas Jones. He put up 210 yards because the Bills' run D is the worst in the league.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 16:29:29

At 10/24/09 03:35 PM, TheBlackDahliaMurder wrote: Since when does Sanchez have a terrible o-line? They actually have an elite o-line.
LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Above average LT)
LG - Alan Faneca (5 time all-pro, 8 time probowler, etc.)
C - Nick Mangold (Elite center)
RG - Brandon Moore (Elite OG)
RT - Damian Woody (Above average RT)

Good players yes, but Sanchez is 11th in the NFL in times sacked, and he's 6th in the NFL in yards lost in sacks (meaning he has a tendencies to drop back further to avoid the rush when he needs to get rid of the ball.) Obviously that line is outstanding for the run, they showed that last weekend, but whenever a team that can put pressure on the QB comes in, they struggle, which is one of the few consistent things that the Raiders bring to the table. I see 3+ sacks from the Raiders, all for big losses. Probably a pick or two from forced throws under pressure as well.

Sanchez threw 5 picks because the Bills' secondary is really damn good, and it was really windy (Sanchez had never played in anything lower than 50 degree weather ever), plus he's still a rookie.

A lot of those picks were hasty throws too. So you add he's a rookie to he struggles under pressure, and you've got a recipe for him to keep up at the rate he's played for the last two weeks. And the Raiders secondary isn't anything to cough at either.

The Jets lost Kris Jenkins for the year, now their run D is going to suck. And you don't have to worry about Thomas Jones. He put up 210 yards because the Bills' run D is the worst in the league.

Kris Jenkins is such a force in the middle. It really sucks he's out for the year. That's a HUGE hit to the Jets. And I'm not worried about Thomas Jones putting up 210 yards, I'm worried about him and Leon Washington putting up 150+ together. The Raiders quit really easily. If the Jets come to play football and consistently run right out of the gate, they don't have much to worry about. But if they can't run effectively and have to resort to the pass, or if they just come out throwing, I see some turnovers and some big plays on the defense leading to some momentum for the Raiders. That could be all she wrote. This is gonna be a good game though for sure.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 16:56:39

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-24 21:38:37

At 10/24/09 04:56 PM, michelinman wrote: Also, Todd Haley gif's kick ass.

THAT WAS BULLSHIT!

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-25 01:54:29

Green Bay at Cleveland: Green Bay
San Diego at Kansas City: San Diego
Indianapolis at St. Louis: Indy
Minnesota at Pittsburgh Minnesota
New England at Tampa Bay: New England
San Francisco at Houston: San Francisco
Buffalo at Carolina: Buffalo
NY Jets at Oakland: Jets
Atlanta at Dallas: Atlanta
Chicago at Cincinnati: Chicago
New Orleans at Miami: Miami (Yup)
Arizona at NY Giants: Giants
Philadelphia at Washington: Washington

My Poetry Album "Out of Sight"

-- Shy2Authentik --

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-25 18:32:58

Wow my Bears are getting ran. I hope they put Haney out there, Cutler is useless.

My Poetry Album "Out of Sight"

-- Shy2Authentik --

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-25 19:05:36

At 10/24/09 07:24 AM, jonthomson wrote:
this, we're only six point dogs. plus they are missing key parts of their run D so fargas/bush should be good for a decent day. not the easiest matchup for Sanchez as stated either.

facepalm.jpg

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-25 22:03:42

At 10/25/09 07:46 PM, agustana wrote: To the little girl that yelled at my car 'Bengals suck' while I was wearing my Bengals jersey and driving I say, suck it bitch.

Yeah, you showed her.

PS fuck Laurence Maroney

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-25 22:16:00

I think it's about time Jake Delhomme took a seat on that chair made out of money he was given in the off-season that he isn't earning.

Also, Brett Favre and Chester Taylor, wha' happen?! Ya'll had the Steelers if it weren't for your pick-6 and fumble-6.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-26 00:39:37

At 10/25/09 10:16 PM, phileeguy wrote: I think it's about time Jake Delhomme took a seat on that chair made out of money he was given in the off-season that he isn't earning.

Also, Brett Favre and Chester Taylor, wha' happen?! Ya'll had the Steelers if it weren't for your pick-6 and fumble-6.

That pick-6 was bullshit. The Vikings had a touchdown taken away from a bullshit penalty, and the next play they turn it over. Or was it the fumble? Either way, it was bullshit. The only solace the Vikings could have was Harven looking like a man on the ensuing kick return.

But my Giants. My fucking Giants. Let me be Coughlin for a moment before the game:

Alright guys, we're going up against the best run defense in the league. So I want to pound the football on the first 2 downs, so we only get 2 yards. After that, I want to throw it, since they'll be expecting that. Wide outs, make sure you run horrible routes, and Eli, try to put the ball in a horrible spot. Oh, and don't worry about the play clock; They're extending it by 20 seconds every time we get the ball. Feagles, I want you to keep the Arizona at midfield, if not in our territory, so keep it short and, if you do get a bit of power behind it, try to knock it out of bounds.

At half time:

Alright, we're up, and you remember that; because there is no way we're going to lose. Even we get behind, don't stop doing what you're doing. Defense, I want to you to keep getting man-handled and run over by the Card's offense line and Beanie Wells. Jacobs and Bradshaw, keep running into your line and the defenders; we need to keep getting 3 yards during the first 2 downs. Receivers, don't forget to drop a couple of the good passes Eli throws when he strays away from the plan. And Eli, if they ever figure out the cadence, don't change it. That'll only take away their pass rush and ability to intercept your passes. Oh, and keep throwing to your check downs on 3rd and long; if we keep punting, maybe they won't score. And if Cromarty and Wilson get hurt, don't throw to their replacements; I have it on good word that the back ups are better than the starters.

The only player who did any good for the Giants was Kevin Boss, who went up for a pass, caught it, took a hard, hard helmet-to-helmet (which wasn't called) and some how held on to the ball. A few minutes later, he was back in the game. Dude is a beast that isn't used enough in Giants games.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-26 01:17:56

At 10/25/09 11:14 PM, DELUCA2400 wrote: That pick six wasn't Brett's fault it hit A.P. right in the hands.

Yeah, that's a ball that had to be caught.

At 10/26/09 12:39 AM, TheThing wrote: That pick-6 was bullshit. The Vikings had a touchdown taken away from a bullshit penalty, and the next play they turn it over. Or was it the fumble? Either way, it was bullshit.

I think you're talking about the tripping call on the play before the fumble, which was a pretty bad call.

But my Giants. My fucking Giants.

Yeah they let me down too, picks-wise.

Response to American Football Discussion 2009-10-26 01:48:45

I'd love to join. My favorite team is the Baltimore Ravens.

I joined pretty late in this club and missed the predictions. I loved the Vikings and Steelers game. Great comeback in the end. Right after Peterson ran William Gay over. Then everything went downhil from there.

That interception return was great.