00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

zooropa1980 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Open Discussion- The Bbs

60,222 Views | 810 Replies

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-07 21:57:14

At 10/7/09 09:29 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote:
My theory on that is that the majority of the users, at least from what I've seen, making threads are newer, younger, and/or less serious users that make threads because they want to laugh.

See, that would be fine with me if the threads were actually humorous. But, most of the time, they are not. Most threads do not make me laugh at all. This was not always the case. Most threads that people make nowadays that are made with the intention of being humorous and fail at a higher rate than they used to.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-07 22:04:16

At 10/7/09 09:57 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: See, that would be fine with me if the threads were actually humorous. But, most of the time, they are not. Most threads do not make me laugh at all. This was not always the case. Most threads that people make nowadays that are made with the intention of being humorous and fail at a higher rate than they used to.

I think your sense of humor is just changing. I don't really think the amount of humor on these forums has decreased in the last three years. What was it, 06, early 07 when they when they just started banning for "rape her?" I don't know what it was like in 03, but if it hasn't change that much from 03 to 06, it hasn't changed much at all.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-08 08:39:42

At 10/7/09 08:31 PM, Mendou wrote: I think a lot of the problems with this forum come from the fact that the users on here care too much about absolutely nothing.

Oh yeah, definitely. Actually, one thing I tend to be quite worried about (for realz) is that people might see me as a cold, crabby, maybe a little cantankerous at times; the Internet definition of "serious" basically. I honestly don't want to look that way - I wouldn't be pleased with myself if it was true to me.

Well, less pleased than I am now ;)

Anyway, yeah. My mind goes back to something DumbassDude once said, something along the lines of "Sure Scarab makes long posts, but he makes no effort to have a conversation." That got me down. Hopefully I've become more normal since then while just sticking to what interests me. I like to be helpful too - self-satisfaction and all that.

I think my previous post here works along the same lines as your comments. Hypocritical humour on my part? Well, that's up to everyone else, haha.

At 10/7/09 09:08 PM, Luxury-Yacht wrote: I'm going to be honest right now, and maybe a bit off because I'm doing shots of Bacardi 151 and chasing with Sierra Mist.

Oh dear, alcohol and this thread do not mix well together.

Scratch that, alcohol and the BBS don't mix well together!

If there is something that has been lacking in the forums as of late, I'd say that it would be genuine intellectual/thoughtful discussion topics and people willing to discuss them. Seriously, very few topics nowadays are really stimulating. The only threads that seem to elicit a response that includes any amount of insight and thought are fucking personal advice threads, and those don't count because you can get that shit anywhere.

Maybe I'm just getting older and it takes more for me to take interest in something, but God damn, there are just so many topics around that don't interest me at all. I can't even tel you how many times I've gone into a topic and pressed the reply button only to go back a page on my browser after realizing that what I was about to say contributed nothing overall because the topic wasn't worth replying to.

I know what you mean, though I'm never sure how to define a stimulating thread. I tend to read through things I lot more than getting actually involved with a discussion, but I quite often enjoy myself anyway. I find myself learning a surprising amount around the BBS, whether it's just a bit of trivia or it's a recommendation (like, someone says "I enjoy Jack Kerouac's books, does anyone have any recommendations? And I say to myself, "I like Jack Kerouac too, better check out those recommendations!") or from something much "deeper". I've found that even arguments give away an amount of understanding to a passing reader... but maybe I'm going a bit too far with that one. I don't condone random arguments for the sake of some form of education!

I've found that really looking into your own interests helps. I call them my "hot topics". I may read more than I post here, but if one of my hot topics pops up, it's fairly likely I'll wear the keyboard out in what's probably some sort of rant. For me it's film, education, sociology, literature, and the pop culture reference here and there for laffs. I try where I can to come up with something that someone might find interesting, and I find myself clicking back partway through a reply sometimes... but oddly enough this is because I start thinking, "You're not giving anything new to this thread are you?", at which point I just shrug and carry on, ready for another wacky adventure.

As for humour on the BBS, I honestly do find the place more amusing in various ways than I let on to. Granted, a considerable amount of the ideas people come up with are dated or they don't appeal to me, but I have laughed at loud at many, many threads and individual posts over the years. I still do, regularly, but you know, this is a tricky thing, opinions on technique, etc. Comma. Humour can be filed under "the arts", so the same characteristics apply! I totally understand what you mean though, I'm just rambling.

I've sort of gone off the point of the thread by just discussing random things that Luxury-Yacht has brought up, but I've taken the title literally. Also, I'm bored.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-08 18:11:49

I just want to let the userbase whose currently sucking mod dick know if this is the way they like thier mods then this is partially self inflicted

the quoted text is edited
it origianally contained constructive critisism for jamokes methods

Open Discussion- The Bbs

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 19:32:27

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1113 151

sigh mods and photoshop threads

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 19:34:10

At 10/12/09 07:32 PM, naronic wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1113 151

sigh mods and photoshop threads

You're not discussing the BBS anymore, you're just whining about mods. And there's not much you can do about them locking and banning.

Fuck you give me money!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 19:37:08

If you guys degrade this glorious thread into a "bitch about a mods specific action" without including at least 15 paragraphs (a la scarab). Then I'm going to be forced to lock this thread... :(

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 19:38:41

At 10/12/09 07:37 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: If you guys degrade this glorious thread into a "bitch about a mods specific action" without including at least 15 paragraphs (a la scarab). Then I'm going to be forced to lock this thread... :(

Why did my photoshop threads get locked?
can you explain that in at least 15 para's?

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 19:43:50

At 10/12/09 07:38 PM, naronic wrote:
At 10/12/09 07:37 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote: If you guys degrade this glorious thread into a "bitch about a mods specific action" without including at least 15 paragraphs (a la scarab). Then I'm going to be forced to lock this thread... :(
Why did my photoshop threads get locked?
can you explain that in at least 15 para's?

Because in our qualified opinion, it sucked. To be honest, if it was me that administrated those threads, I would have deleted them outright. My point was that you shouldn't be addressing this "concern" of yours via this thread. A mod locked your shitty thread? Ask him/her/it about it via PM.

Why don't you do so and appreciate the fact that you aren't banned yet?

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 19:51:41

At 10/12/09 07:47 PM, JKMonkey wrote: It seemed like they were good threads that people kept posting and contributing good, post-worthy information into.

Perception isn't reality.

Why have some very popular threads such as the Rage's Gift to You, Abusive Reviews! and Scariest Masturbation Moments threads get locked?

A: no longer serving it's intended purpose (ie: whistle-happy noobs flagging stuff that's not abusive, then crying about their garbage whistle) B: Any topic about masturbation is automatically too immature and idiotic to be tolerated. Not to mention it was a glorified story thread interspersed with 'lol'.

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 19:55:10

At 10/12/09 07:43 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote:
Because in our qualified opinion, it sucked.

k
I'm sure that's a BBS rule
"DONT MAK UR THRED SUK TO TEH MOHDZ"

:My point was that you shouldn't be addressing this "concern" of yours via this thread.

I thought that's what this thread was about.
ADDRESSING WHAT THE MODS COULD DO BETTER

:A mod locked your awsome thread? Ask him/her/it about it via PM.

fix'd it 4 you
also I cant address problems with the mods without them editing my text and acting like a douche
hence the Jamoke incident about 9 posts above

you'll probably just ignore and delete this post but this forum won't get any better

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 20:07:10

At 10/12/09 07:55 PM, naronic wrote: you'll probably just ignore and delete this post but this forum won't get any better

Actually I wont ignore it. I shall now ban you since you are too dense to see past your butthurt.

Here's a week.
I AGAIN suggest you hammer out any differences that made you start this nonsense privately.

MOZZLETOFF

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 20:10:13

Just don't act as fucking retarded as the GameFAQs admins, and I think shit should be good man.

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 20:17:59

I already talked about Photoshop threads earlier and I want to address another type of thread; Expoitable threads.

A few days ago I made a topic with an exploitable image/comic which was deleted. As mad as I was that it was deleted, I moved on and kept it to myself. Now I'm smart enough to not remake the deleted topic in question, but my real inquiries are as follows:

1. What qualifies as a "good" Exploitable thread?

2. What's the main reason such threads are deleted/locked? Would it be the fact people MSPaint cocks like in Photoshop threads and throw out memes like they're about to hit an expiration date?

3. Most importantly, are Exploitable threads even allowed anymore?

Thank you for your time.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 20:18:24

At 10/12/09 07:55 PM, naronic wrote: you'll probably just ignore and delete this post but this forum won't get any better

For the health (lol) of this thread alone, you'd probably be doing yourself some favours by not defending your own view as passionately as you were doing just now. Of course, this thread is about things you could possibly alert the mods to (as I have done so in the past in a variety of annoying ways), but there's also an expectation that if you care enough about spending your free time here, you will be civil in what you say. As always, I think we're more intelligent (also polite) than that. You don't even have to be "serious" to make your point, but you're not going to help yourself or anyone else who might have an issue by wording yourself in such a way, if you get me?

I don't always agree with whatever the mods are pressing one week admittedly. Sometimes I've voiced my concerns if I've believed my own experience of the BBS could be imporved, but seriously, it's no good if you're just not willing to listen to everyone. As always, the "us and them" attitude on the BBS is quite possibly one of the worst characteristics of the whole place. There are problems of that on either side, but you can do your part!

Third paragraph missing.

Fourth paragraph missing.

Fifth paragraph missing.

Sixth paragraph missing.

Seventh paragraph missing.

Eighth paragraph missing.

Ninth paragraph missing.

Tenth paragraph missing.

Eleventh paragraph missing.

Twelfth paragraph missing.

Thirteenth paragraph missing.

Fourteenth paragraph missing.

Fiftteenth paragraph missing.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 20:20:24

At 10/12/09 08:17 PM, Krbyfan1 wrote: 3. Most importantly, are Exploitable threads even allowed anymore?

no, they really never have been. We discourage users from making threads about pictures they find on the internet, same reason we ask that if you don't have anything worthwhile to ad to a link to some youtube video that you refrain from making a new thread for it.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic byTemplate88 ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 20:49:15

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1113 111 Threads like this are rather numerous and annoying.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 21:13:35

At 10/12/09 08:30 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
At 10/12/09 08:20 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 10/12/09 08:17 PM, Krbyfan1 wrote: 3. Most importantly, are Exploitable threads even allowed anymore?
no, they really never have been. We discourage users from making threads about pictures they find on the internet, same reason we ask that if you don't have anything worthwhile to ad to a link to some youtube video that you refrain from making a new thread for it.

I was going to reply to this but I needed more information on the topic at hand, but I get the jist of it. Somewhat.

I'd like to tack on to this, that generally "exploitable" images have been posted before, and its unlikely that unless you really get something good together and have examples that are of high quality to begin with that it'll end up well.

The image I provided was from a grapgic novel that was first published in the Mid 1990's, and I found it on a fan site I'm sure few people here knew existed, which led to me making the topic. But I think my first mistake was using Exploit in the title. I also started off with low quality shops, in my opinion and should have started stronger. I guess I should just remove the word "Exploitable" from my vocabulary to avoid such future run ins.

I love to see a creative thread and I absolutely hate to see them locked when they are around, but generally speaking I can only delete 80% of replies out of so many Photoshop threads a day to keep them interesting. And I do delete a lot of memes and mspaint pictures out of the threads that have promise.

Yeah so do I, and I thought I had a good base pic, but apparently not. And I appreciate the effort put towards Keeping It Clean in good topics.

I invite you to be highly original in your photo manipulation topics and to set them up well and with purpose. If you can do so in an organized fashion, with a good example AND good base pic, you're more than likely to have a successful thread.

I actually dragged my heels in making the topic that was deleted, working on at least 10 different variations of the photo, but again I think the whole "Exploit" thing killed it. (The inclusion of Tom Fulp, MSPaint dicks, and Mudkips didn't help.) Or maybe there wasn't much humor to be found. Whatever the case, I thought it was a fun idea, but I must have a skewed idea of what is a good topic sometimes.

After all, how many times does Jamoke actually have a photoshop topic locked if he took time to start one before he was modded?

That's true, but he's good at Photoshopping. And he seems to have such openly manipulated pics. He must see things in photos I don't see.

Krbyfan1(kur-bee-fan-one)- A creature that resides in the state of Colorado. Distinguished by his size, love of small mammals, video games, and the anime series "Tenchi Muyo!"

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-12 21:16:34

I actually think the moderators are doing a more careful job than they were a year ago. I remember back in the day (lol) that if someone posted in a thread that was deleted, they were destroy banned without a care. Recently, I've noticed this doesn't happen as much anymore. I think the destroy ban was the only problem I ever saw with mods.

People can say the BBS is dying all the want, but they just don't want to admit that it's our own responsibility to contribute to the forums. I'm not saying we should be able to shit out a super original five-pager every day, but it doesn't mean we're not all capable of witty and intelligent discussion. If you think this place is getting worse, you're not trying hard enough.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 07:59:45

At 10/7/09 07:58 PM, EyeLovePoozy wrote:
Settle down and catch the drift before I help you to do so.

Case in point: pussies

He even has it in his name.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 11:31:12

God shut the fuck up david.

MODS NEED TO BE MORE STRICT.

FAAAAAAAR MORE.

That is the only true complaint worthy of being considered.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 11:36:40

Ban the living hell out of users that think it's funny to recommend bleach and ammonia as a way of getting high. There are people dumb and desperate enough to try it and chlorine gas will most likely cause permanent damage.

I didn't read through the other 650 responses

You could really go for a chocolate chip cookie right about now...

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 11:37:23

At 10/13/09 08:37 AM, Davidzx wrote: Also, for idle mods that dont do anything when online, I have asked a couple of them for help, but only to hear the response"Ill mod when I feel like it"

Granted that some mods should respond more maturely, I would like to see some evidence regarding the couple of mods who "mod when they feel like it."

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 11:45:58

MODS need to give a clear reason why their banning you should you get banned.
I got banned for telling someone they were posting a thread in the wrong Forum, and wasn't given a clear reason why.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 16:13:28

At 10/13/09 03:05 PM, Alex12345269 wrote: Is it just me, or have moderators been going a little overboard on deleting threads?

The weird thing is that most of these threads criticize the mods and/or Newgrounds...

Bananular.

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 16:25:11

At 10/13/09 04:13 PM, ertysproductions wrote:
At 10/13/09 03:05 PM, Alex12345269 wrote: Is it just me, or have moderators been going a little overboard on deleting threads?
The weird thing is that most of these threads criticize the mods and/or Newgrounds...

a vast majority of the threads that are deleted are utter shit/spam/advertising which probably have fewer than 2 or 3 views total when we delete them, which means that for the most part, you never even see them.

criticizing the mods by making a new thread to complain is against the rules

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic byTemplate88 ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 16:26:21

Yeah, if they were funny it'd be better to just lock them for the future.

brb ninjas surrounding house

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 17:09:41

I feel like there's way too much defensiveness when it comes to discussing bans, rules, and moderation from both mods and users.

I can't speak for every instance, but if you've been banned, the moderator who banned you probably had a reason for doing so. Whether or not you agree with that reason doesn't matter, the point is that that moderator is just doing his or her job. If you have questions or concerns about it, confront the specific moderator in question about the issue through PM's and do it in a polite and civil fashion.

People need to realize that bans aren't the end of the world. If you get banned from the BBS for a week, so what? There are other things you can be doing with your time, so why make a big deal of it? This goes for getting your thread locked, as well. Getting your thread locked is a hint to you that those types of threads aren't acceptable here. Again, you may not agree with it, but it's not your prerogative to claim otherwise. So, if you have a question or concern, there's no reason to be overly defensive about it. You can argue your points respectfully, but there's no reason to say things like "OH MODERATOR X IS A FUKKIN NAZU."

Insults and defensive bitching will get you absolutely nowhere and it makes it all that much harder for the mods that are just trying to do their jobs. The worst case scenario of debating the issue respectfully should be that your ban doesn't get lifted. Big deal.

But, this respectfulness goes both ways. To abide by gumOnShoe's warning, I won't name specific instances, but I will say that I have seen some cases where mods reply to users in a very disrespectful and defensive manner. I understand that it must be a stressful job to be dealing with arrogant, self-important teenaged brats hiding behind the anonymity of the internet to be internet tough guys day in and day out, but that's the responsibility that mods take on when they accept the job.

I also understand that it's very tempting to reply arrogantly to the arrogance of another, but that's just not a good way of dealing with the situation especially if you're a role model. Now, it would be easier for me to get this point across if I were to give examples, but I abstain. My point is that if mods want to attempt to stop users from being disrespectful to them, they need to abstain from wording their arguments in ways that are disrespectful to the users. Working insults into your arguments isn't going to help the situation. To a third party it's a very amusing to watch, but it just escalates the situation far beyond where it should end. A very good example of that is how people in this thread, in other threads, and very much so in places outside the BBS are arguing and complaining about this issue incessantly. They complain that the mods act disrespectfully and in what seems to be a biased manner and that creates an absurd level of unneeded tension. And, in a lot of cases, what the users assume to be the case, such as "mod x is biased against thread type x," isn't even the reality of it, but no one can see that because there's not enough respectful dialog.

And I can tell you from a regular's perspective that it's not just the rowdy, rule breaking users that express thoughts like this outside of the forums. There are many, many people who don't have an extreme passion for the issue, but they are unhappy with it or other issues regarding the mods at one level or another. And, none of those issues can be resolved until there's a mutual level of respect between the users and the mod team.

Also think, if you have the urge to act disrespectfully towards disrespect, then you can be sure that that's the exact same case for the users. It's hard to bitch about stone cold straight logic without looking like a fool. It's extremely easy to argue with defensive arguments loaded with insults (even though the arguments may have some logic in them) and get the majority of the userbase on your side. Because, when moderators do throw out insults in response to users, they look more abusive then when users return the same kind of response. It just perpetuates the exact us and them attitude that we're all trying to eliminate.

We need to stop insulting each other, we need to stop being defensive about our opinions, and we need to be willing to have an open dialog about things that have happened in a way where we're attempting to look for a resolve to the tension and not just the end of the conversation.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-13 22:19:07

You know what the BBS really needs? More BlueHippo.

But in all seriousness, the only reason I'm hardly on anymore is because there seems to be to many kids or just immature users. Mostly using old memes and just being annoying.

It also seems that there isn't as many clever users on anymore.

Nothing mods can do except crack down and ban dumb asses.

Response to Open Discussion- The Bbs 2009-10-14 00:01:58

I've decided not to care anymore. Lifes too short and I'm already way over committed into this place. Mods will always do what they want when they want, just as long as they do get punished when they really cock up, that's all really any of us normal users can hope for I think.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature