00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rev Share and RSS

104,151 Views | 374 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:34:33

Back in 1998, I was a student and funding a fledgling Newgrounds out of pocket. As hosting and bandwidth costs spiraled above what I could afford, I found that putting banner ads on Newgrounds to generate ad revenue dug me out of a hole. If I hadn't have done that, Newgrounds probably wouldn't exist today.

In the decade since I started using ads, they have paid the salaries of a growing team, many rising from the ranks right here on NG. We've managed to build a real company, with an office and a vending machine!

While the staff continues to work towards making NG the best it can be, we owe a lot to the contributors who have continued to support NG over the years. It's time to take the next step!

Back in late 2007, PsychoGoldfish launched the NG Flash Ads system, allowing developers to run ads in their Flash, and get the same deal they would get if they were a website, working directly with our advertising sales rep.

With the Flash Ads system came an ambitious new payment process, allowing us to track and pay a growing pool of developers.

Starting today, we are using this system to track ad revenue on user, non-adult Flash and Audio pages. If you are interested in participating in this new rev-share program, simply visit your account options page - look for the "Revenue" box and follow the instructions to sign-up!

Don't act like you're rich now!

While some of you will make decent money with this system, don't expect to hit the jackpot and don't drop out of school. The ads are performance based, so sleazy methods of driving traffic to your page will not result in revenue and will likely result in the termination of your access to the system.

The best way to generate revenue will be through genuine interest in your work and hundreds of thousands of unique visitors to your pages.

Times are tough for everyone right now, but together we'll continue working towards positive goals and a brighter future! We're excited to see people succeed with this system and have been particularly inspired by artists who treat NG as more than just a means to an ends for publicity, but as a community, or more so, a family. You're all on the payroll now, so tell your friends and start taking more steps to promote your work here!

On our end, we'll be working to raise your revenue numbers. While PsychoGoldfish was working on the rev share system, Liljim has been overhauling and expanding our RSS feeds. Today we introduced feeds for new Flash and Audio by individual artists. If you check out HappyHarry's user page, you will see little orange RSS icons in the upper right corners of his "LATEST FLASH" and "LATEST AUDIO" boxes. If you had a HappyHarry RSS feed, you would have noticed he did voice work for a Wonchop movie after releasing Saturday Morning Watchmen.

Next up on the RSS front will be feeds for user news and user favorites. If you know someone on NG with similar tastes to yourself, you will be able to watch their favorites list and keep up-to-date with submissions that may otherwise fall off the radar!

In other news...

Inspired by the Castle Crashers Bento, Luis has organized an awesome make a Pink Castle Crasher out of food contest!

Check out Edmund's new Super Meat Boy Ad, which many have called the "best ad ever!" Also go visit the Super Meat Boy website.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:36:13

The RSS isn't working. I sent a message to Wade. I hope it's just me...

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:37:54

At 4/15/09 12:36 PM, InvaderDib5455 wrote: The RSS isn't working. I sent a message to Wade. I hope it's just me...

It was busted for the first minute after launch, is it working for you now?

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:39:22

At 4/15/09 12:37 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 4/15/09 12:36 PM, InvaderDib5455 wrote: The RSS isn't working. I sent a message to Wade. I hope it's just me...
It was busted for the first minute after launch, is it working for you now?

Yep! Sorry about that :P

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:40:32

If you kept the bytesize, I'd be in business... : \

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:40:54

Indeed, ads are most valuable.

I'm gonna respond to this because I can. Is that alright Tom?
Btw my name is Tom too! Maybe we're related o_o

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:41:46

That's good, but really i don't usse RSS

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:43:03

Is this the big new feature you mentioned a few news posts ago?

Anyway, sounds like a good way for popular artists to make money.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:47:02

Could you give us more detail into how much money you make per view on your page ? Or is it per click on the ad or whatever it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:49:25

Wow, that's really awesome! Thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:52:43

This is some really good news, I like how things keep evolving and you guys always find a way to make this place better. Good to hear about this, will try to "be rich" and "drop out of school". =P

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:53:12

At 4/15/09 12:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: or more so, a family.

a very dysfunctional family

with an abusive father who beats the shit out of everyone all the time

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:57:31

this is pretty awesome!

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:58:23

At 4/15/09 12:47 PM, CaiWengi wrote: Could you give us more detail into how much money you make per view on your page ? Or is it per click on the ad or whatever it is.

It's based on the ad performance on the individual pages.

For example, we've been running this system in the background for a while to test it, and so far this month, Alien Hominid has averaged a $0.34 eCPM, or $0.34 per 1000 views. Domo-Kun has managed to pull $0.51 eCPM, while Dad 'n Me has done $0.17 eCPM. My user page has only averaged $0.05 per 1000 views, though.

As we move towards a wide site redesign (in progress), we're focusing on boosting performance on the rev share ads. Until that launches, the best we can do is keep boosting traffic to raise revenue numbers.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 12:58:36

Kinda blew my mind there Tom.

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:00:14

Rock on Tom, glad to see this new system in place. Way to make a certain ginger earn his pay. I really hope this will enable audio artists to get a little bit of compensation for their awesome work.

I am also excited to learn about RSS feeds for user pages, I've been wanting that feature ever since the user pages were launched.

I think the new system is broken because I haven't made any money yet (rofl)

LIEK OMG FORUM POSTS SHOULD PAY MONEYS

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:01:11

Hey, Psychogoldfish is an admin now?
Kewl

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:05:11

Me likey.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

- Oscar Wilde

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:05:39

You said April would be a good month for NG, and things are already happening. Thanks Tom! That mini NG story was awesome, and so are the new features.

I have only used RSS a few times in my life, but I may use this, it's a great way to keep track of interesting artists :D

At 4/15/09 12:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: Next up on the RSS front will be feeds for user news and user favorites. If you know someone on NG with similar tastes to yourself, you will be able to watch their favorites list and keep up-to-date with submissions that may otherwise fall off the radar!

I'm looking forward to that, it will be great to be able to know when someone's makes a news post, or access someone's favorites easily. Thanks for working so much in Newgrounds, and bringing the community even more together <3

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:09:26

so this make money for average bbs joes like me or is this only for people who make flash?

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:10:41

At 4/15/09 12:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: As we move towards a wide site redesign (in progress)

That sounds familiar.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:11:36

At 4/15/09 01:09 PM, homor wrote: so this make money for average bbs joes like me or is this only for people who make flash?

Most of the potential is for Flash and music guys, but the opportunity is open to everyone at the moment.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:11:57

awesome.

Jedermann sein eigner truthahn abendessen.

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:12:20

This post would even make a baby smile!
Amazing speech!

Rev Share and RSS

i came, i saw, i lold

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:15:47

Yay, now I can start earning pennies every month! I've seen how much you demand for advertisement on Newgrounds and it's not surprising that you earn your incomes from it! It was a good idea in 1998 and still a good idea over a decade later.

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:17:34

So I guess now I'll have to add clicking a few of the advertisements to my routine of voting on and reviewing submissions I really like.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:17:40

Amazing!

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:18:16

This is fairly cool shit.

I'm impressed with what you're doing.

Hell I'd nearly even apply for a job in your headquarters except for the fact that you've got beer in the vending machine.

You honestly can't hire an Irishman to work in an office that has beer in the vending machine. Especially if you're hoping to drink some.

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:21:35

At 4/15/09 01:11 PM, TomFulp wrote: Most of the potential is for Flash and music guys, but the opportunity is open to everyone at the moment.

do i get money every time someone visits my blog (which is never)?

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Rev Share and RSS 2009-04-15 13:23:55

Sounds pretty cool Tom. NG is becoming more...better? It's good though. It makes my dick hard.