00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cathanof just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Ng London Meetup Aftermath

44,300 Views | 627 Replies

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 13:38:16

Seeing as how it seems to be the fashion I did a full write up on my page.

http://thehappysheep.newgrounds.com/

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 13:49:37

At 1/21/09 01:24 PM, liaaaam wrote: There was also quite a few epic air hockey battles, most starring Andersson who kicked some serious ass. Sfb Tom did ok too. I beat Andersson once then retired - quite while you're ahead, ya know?

I beat poozy at Nazi Mod Table Football.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 14:18:12

Speaking of nazi, the owners of the flat are being douchebags about some stuff which is kinda annoying. I expected it with a flat of that caliber but its still annoying nonetheless.

At any rate, I'm thinking that it would be fun next time to have a flat/house/whatever well outside of london and just travel into london for the meetup day. I think it would 1)save alot of money and 2)ultimately the places available to rent out would be alot bigger and not quite as ritzy as this last place. If there is one thing I've noticed this past time is that people mostly just want to hang out. its not so much about going to elaborate clubs or anything like that. Its mostly about providing a comfortable place where people can mingle.

Yea thats my observations so far.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 14:31:07

At 1/21/09 02:18 PM, Luis wrote: Yea thats my observations so far.

I totally agree. The flat was really sweet but it is not really necessary. I go to meet people and hang out. Most people end up sleeping on the floor anyway so I think it's a great idea.

I don't see the point in doing a meet in Glasgow, if you want to reach a different crowd maybe somewhere central would be easier for more people. Birmingham or Manchester.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 14:34:08

At 1/21/09 02:31 PM, TheHappySheep wrote: Birmingham or Manchester.

The thing with up here, is it's hardest on the people who have the furthest to go. Anyone coming from abroad can get a plane to Heathrow or Gatwick or something, but then you're also asking them to trek up the country on top of that....

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 14:44:08

At 1/21/09 02:34 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
The thing with up here, is it's hardest on the people who have the furthest to go. Anyone coming from abroad can get a plane to Heathrow or Gatwick or something, but then you're also asking them to trek up the country on top of that....

Yeah I still have to fly into heathrow. I think its all about finding a comfortable location outside of London. Glasgow isnt really a prime location and i wouldnt move it to that venue cause its way out there.. i originally brought it up as a venue as in id just fly up for a day hangout with people and then come back to the heart of things down below.

I think we got a ton of people this time because Tom was going to be in town so its unrealistic we'd have as many people in the future. We just need to find a decent place outside of london where we can make alot of noise and hang out without stepping on anyones toes or whatever. And then on the meetup day we can make a decent trek back into London and then head back out.

For me, traveling 2 hrs outside of london isnt bad and i know some of you have done that on this past meet anyway so.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 14:47:57

At 1/21/09 12:00 PM, Scuzzfest wrote:
Shins were shredded.

Mainly Joe's

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 14:54:03

No idea if im at liberty to disclose this, but for modmeats nowadays we goto the NG office just as a check-in point and then travel 2 hrs out west of philadelphia to a more laid back environment where people can just hang out and not have to worry about being in a crowded city environment or having to do the hotel rooms thing etc.

LilJim mentioned York as being something of that nature. Its apparently 1.5 hrs out of london and accessible by people up north in scotland and such.

Again, its all speculation at this point. I do like having the main meet point still be in london. And the multiday stuff for those interested would be elsewhere outside of london.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 15:15:47

At 1/21/09 02:54 PM, Luis wrote: Again, its all speculation at this point. I do like having the main meet point still be in london. And the multiday stuff for those interested would be elsewhere outside of london.

I'd be down with that, though we'd just have to be well organised and all.

Though it hasn't been a problem in the past :P

How would we travel from London to outside the city though? Would we rent a car or just take trains and buses?

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 15:18:18

At 1/21/09 01:15 PM, AsthmaticHamster wrote:
At 1/21/09 10:47 AM, Coop83 wrote: Teach me how to do this - I demand NG Tag Team Dodgems!
For fuck sake, they're BUMPING CARS! BUMPING CARS!!!
Stop calling them Dodgems, FUCK!

I'll have you know that the proper English (British) term for them is Dodgem Cars (Dodgems)

At 1/21/09 01:24 PM, liaaaam wrote: There was also quite a few epic air hockey battles, most starring Andersson who kicked some serious ass. Sfb Tom did ok too. I beat Andersson once then retired - quite while you're ahead, ya know?

I remember watching the later half of that battle, it was good stuff. I should have jumped on that table, I've played air hockey a few times and might have had a decent chance against the might of Andersson.

At 1/21/09 02:34 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:

Never heard of Birmingham International Airport then? :P

Birmingham could be a decent chance to meet people, especially as this meetup I'm going on about was aimed at the mini-community in the English Gentleman's Club, most of whom couldn't turn up. I think only myself, BBM and NEVR were there in the end...

At 1/21/09 02:44 PM, Luis wrote: For me, traveling 2 hrs outside of london isnt bad and i know some of you have done that on this past meet anyway so.

2 hours outside London makes for a huge net being thrown across the UK - most of the way to Birmingham, in fact.

Still, I don't mind London a little bit every now and then.

At 1/21/09 02:54 PM, Luis wrote: LilJim mentioned York as being something of that nature. Its apparently 1.5 hrs out of london and accessible by people up north in scotland and such.

Well, York is a little further than 1.5 hours from London and it really depends on where the train stops off - usually it will be the Penzance - Edinburgh train, which makes regular stops, possibly ending with a bus journey from either Wakefield Westgate or Leeds to York itself.

But if you're after that sort of thing, Leeds is a pretty good city for night life, diverse cuisine and a few decent arcades.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 15:24:59

Come down my way and be hippies for a few nights - we have Stonehenge, Bath and Glastonbury ;)

Just kidding, it's pro'ly very difficult to mass-transport people to South West. :)

Part of Newgrounds furniture since 2000.Clicky, clicky.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 15:31:19

At 1/21/09 03:18 PM, Coop83 wrote: Well, York is a little further than 1.5 hours from London and it really depends on where the train stops off - usually it will be the Penzance - Edinburgh train, which makes regular stops, possibly ending with a bus journey from either Wakefield Westgate or Leeds to York itself.

But if you're after that sort of thing, Leeds is a pretty good city for night life, diverse cuisine and a few decent arcades.

Well, the point is. for the people who are interested in hanging out multiple days, they will need to go outside of london where its not so outraggeously expensive. and its easier to manage. We'll still commute back into London as a group for the meetup day but most of the meet will take place outside of London.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 15:49:16

At 1/21/09 01:03 PM, Coop83 wrote:
Mind you, you were at the correct height for me to balance my pint on your head :P

:O! You Didn't....

Yeah, anyway, had a fantastic time! Thank you all for making it so much fun!
Our Nixon impressions during bumper cars made it that little extra special

AROOOO!
I think Tom was a bit bemused as we rammed him a few times :P

The look of ecstasy on his face suggests so, it's burnt into my mind.

Basically, it's going to form around a get-together for most of the English Gentleman's Club over in the C&C forum. Preliminary plans were made for one last November, but they then fell apart. We are attempting to go Bowling at Fiveways in Birmingham, then out for a few drinks. By the sound of it, it could be bigger than I bargained for :$
It sounds like a large amount of NG'ers are coming?
In that case, when we start the preparations, I might send Tom a PM to ask if he can allude to it in his News Posts

Would be a good idea, i'm more than happy to arrange it with you budday :D

At 1/21/09 12:57 PM, Lost-Chances wrote:
At 1/21/09 11:57 AM, Dangan wrote:
At 1/21/09 10:47 AM, Coop83 wrote: The only guy who was small enough for those cars is Dangan!
I literally JUST met the height requirement...
Wasn't it something like 1.1 metres?
Yep and Dangan measures in at a mighty 1.4m

While our good friend Coop towers over most with an epic 118.2m

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 17:04:56

At 1/21/09 03:49 PM, Dangan wrote:

We could drive the dodgems with ease! Screw all you tall people! :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 17:25:36

At 1/21/09 05:04 PM, Cally wrote:

Short NG'ers united Cally <3

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 17:37:45

At 1/21/09 05:30 PM, Fyndir wrote:
At 1/21/09 02:31 PM, TheHappySheep wrote: I don't see the point in doing a meet in Glasgow
'cause we're fucking lonely up here, you nonce. =(

Says the guy who goes to ALLLLLL the glasgow meetups?

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 17:43:12

At 1/21/09 02:54 PM, Luis wrote: LilJim mentioned York as being something of that nature. Its apparently 1.5 hrs out of london and accessible by people up north in scotland and such.

York's a little more, you're looking at 2.5hrs on the train, and IMO the trains are very expensive (especially on that East Coast line from Edinburgh to London) unless you book well in advance. But still, it'd be worth considering.

I'd suggest somewhere like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, or Birmingham over York in terms of price. York's pretty upper class, quite touristy, etc.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 17:50:18

At 1/21/09 05:43 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I'd suggest somewhere like Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, or Birmingham over York in terms of price. York's pretty upper class, quite touristy, etc.

I suggest my hometown of Milton Keynes, it's easily accessible and in between Birmingham and London

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 17:57:12

At 1/21/09 05:25 PM, Dangan wrote:

We should form our own little club of shorties. Me, you, Tigerkitty, Gagsy, Jim. Between us we might be.... up to DHT's shoulder. Hmm.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 18:06:23

Just to put in my word on the whole outside London thing, it is quite a good idea, it would let us be a bit more mad and stuff seeing as we just want to all hang out and mingle. But on the meets previously, my plan has always been after the initial meetup, go back to the flat/apartment etc. Because obviously I can't get into bars and stuff. It's the little things like that that would make it complicated.

Aslong as you were to make sure it was on a very central line and easy to access town, with someone to always be in touch with (don't lose your phone ;) ) because I myself almost got lost just finding in the reasonably simple to navigate London, let alone a whole city.

But it's a good idea to put forward. I just think it's something that would need a lot of good planning when it comes to location. I know is very selfish and probably demeaning people who come from such far away places for me to say this, I apologise about that.

I am gay for three men. Three Sexy, Handsome, Boneriffic young men.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 18:18:26

At 1/21/09 05:57 PM, Cally wrote:
At 1/21/09 05:25 PM, Dangan wrote:
We should form our own little club of shorties. Me, you, Tigerkitty, Gagsy, Jim. Between us we might be.... up to DHT's shoulder. Hmm.

A Totem-pole of shorties.

Now why didn't we photograph THAT at the meet-up D:

DHT could just poke the top shorty and we'd all fall like dominoes.

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 18:39:04

At 1/21/09 05:50 PM, Dangan wrote: I suggest my hometown of Milton Keynes, it's easily accessible and in between Birmingham and London

On the downside, however, it's Milton Keynes.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 18:47:07

At 1/21/09 06:39 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 1/21/09 05:50 PM, Dangan wrote: I suggest my hometown of Milton Keynes, it's easily accessible and in between Birmingham and London
On the downside, however, it's Milton Keynes.

and whats WRONG with Milton Keynes?

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 18:50:08

And just what, precisely, is right with it?

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 18:53:20

At 1/21/09 06:50 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: And just what, precisely, is right with it?

Yokel i totally knew you'd ask that question.

It's like a mini-london, certainly not ideal if you drive through here like me but otherwise is good for tourists.

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 18:55:02

At 1/21/09 05:57 PM, Cally wrote: We should form our own little club of shorties. Me, you, Tigerkitty, Gagsy, Jim. Between us we might be.... up to DHT's shoulder. Hmm.

If it's any consolation, you little people make us average people feel like giant, so thank you! :3

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 19:59:13

I use to go to this camp as a kid... they had about 20 cabins (Basically sheds), a dining hall and stuff, i'm wondering what it would be like if we could rent a similar space and how much it would be.

You could have the cabins to sleep in (well thats what they are there for anyway) and the dining hall for entertainment (Karaoke, nintendo wii etc), with maybe spending some of the time out in the open around a fire.

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 20:13:21

Milton Keynes is best described in Good Omens (by the amazing Terry Pratchett and the fantastic Neil Gaiman):

The Arrangement [between the Angel, Aziraphale and the Demon, Crowley] was... the sort of arrangement that many isolated agents, working in awkward conditions a long way from thier superiors, reach with thier opposite number when they realize they have more in common with thier immediate opponents than thier remote allies. It meant a non-tacit interferance in each other's activities...

It meant that Crowley had been allowed to develop Manchester, while Aziraphale had a free hand in the whole of Shropshire. Crowley took Glasgow, Aziraphale had Edinburgh (neither claimed any responsibility for Milton Keynes[*], but both reported it as a success)

* Note for Americans and other aliens: Milton Keynes is a new city approximately halfway between London and Birmingham. It was built to be modern, efficient, healthy, and above all, a pleasent place to live. Many Britons find this amusing.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 20:54:30

my sister passed this picture over.. ill have to use a higher res one when i do the hub thingie.. but yeah there was alot of people at this thing.

The Ng London Meetup Aftermath

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng London Meetup Aftermath 2009-01-21 21:47:51

At 1/21/09 08:54 PM, Luis wrote: my sister passed this picture over.. ill have to use a higher res one when i do the hub thingie.. but yeah there was alot of people at this thing.

Hah, wow so many people :D Did anyone else notice the random people taking photos of us when we did the first London eye group photo? "Look! Nerds out of their natural habitat!"

I'm looking forward to seeing all the pics up. Especially for the mug shots so I can actually get names for all the faces I remember. No way can anyone remember all those names.

Also, I want the face and arse game now damn it! Bazman, you were awesome!