00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

College Life Club

103,836 Views | 1,047 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:03:47

College Life Club

This club is for students who are in college, or some sort of education system after high school. This is also for people who may not be in college yet, but are planning on going to college or perhaps they haven't made up their mind about college yet. It can also be for people who used to be in college, but have either failed, dropped out, or passed through and received their diploma.

The goals of this club

1) To give a place for people to talk about the pros and cons of getting education after high school.

2) To give people who are undecided on what they want to do with their life or what job to choose a place to talk about the different choices they have and to get people's opinions on certain areas of education.

3) To give a people a place to relax and talk or even complain about the day they had so they can get some things off their chest.

4) To discuss what teaching strategies and what teachers were the best for you and perhaps which ones you didn't like or didn't help you very much.

5) To talk about events like concerts, parties, etc.. anything that goes on in the everyday life of a college student.

6) For people that have graduated or perhaps dropped out of college to talk about the success or even the failure that they have had in the work force.

Rules

1) There are no ranks or superiors in this club. It needs no leaders and nobody has anymore say than another person in debates or anything else club related. This means that moderators don't have any more say in a debate than a regular user. Moderators can and will still enforce the BBS rules and rules of the club though.

2) No arguments. Debates are allowed and there is a difference between stupid arguments that aren't needed and a debate that does contribute to the club.

3) Just use common sense and follow the BBS Rules. Don't spam, say racist or hateful things, etc.. Just use your head.

4) Have fun and make this a friendly environment.

How to join

Just post here and say what you are planning on majoring in, what you are majoring in, or what you already did major in. If possible say what college, university, or school you want to attend, are attending, or already did attend.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:14:11

Yeah, I'll join.

I'm currently attending Brunel University in West London, doing a BA in English Literature. Probably going to do a Law conversion after I graduate too and then train as a lawyer.

Right now I have a piece of coursework and a presentation due for this Friday... so I'm a little swamped as I left it a bit late to start.

/join

Need to get back to work.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:25:23

I'm a student at the University of Illinois and I'm majoring in New Media. I'm thinking of switching to Graphic Design, because New Media is too broad of a subject for me and the program just started this year so it's probably not too stable.

So far, it's been fine. the only problem I have is in my history class. I took a mid term exam a while ago and almost failed it, and that's the only big grade I had so far. I'm taking Rhet and it's a lot easier than i thought it would be. The other classes are mostly art related and I'm acing them.

My dad's paying for my tuition (at least for the first year) but i really need to get a part time job to afford all the supplies i need for a lot of my classes. What's the quickest way of doing this? I tried some Online sites but I'm a little hesitant of giving out my personal information. I can't find shit in the classifieds and they're mostly for experienced students (no one will hire a freshman for a graphic designs position).

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:27:25

Thanks for joining NEVR.

I guess I should put up my information and everything so here it goes. I attend Lock Haven University and I'm majoring in Elementary Education.

At first I majored in History, but found out that it wasn't quite for me. I then didn't really have a major for awhile and played around with things like Social work my second semester my freshman year. When my GPA raised above the needed 3.00 my 2nd year (this year) I changed to Elementary Education and I think this is where I'm going to stay now.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:33:58

I am considering going to Easton college (Norfolk, England) and learning Agriculture there. I really despise of school in general though and I hope it will be different. So I guess I can join this club in 7 months :3

Kind regards -
Thomas.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:37:11

Cool idea, count me in. Odd that we were just discussing college today Corky :)

Currently I'm halfway into my first year of my Pharmaceutical and Industrial Chemistry course at the University of Limerick. Following my graduation from this course I'm planning on (hopefully) pursuing a postgraduate degree in Medicine at the same university.

At the moment I'm facing into exams for next week and the week after, should be ok. Probably need to buckle down and take a second look over Biology and Physics though :P

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:47:53

This is looking like a Wi/Ht? club already. Nevertheless I will join this as well. I go to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and I major in Sociology.

I'm in my last year too which means I have to start looking for a job after college and I'm not looking forward to that. I would rather spend my days studying and drinking with friends than have to go out in the real world :( Really, I worry, but I probably shouldn't. The economy is making the job market look bad for when I graduate which is noteworthy but getting a degree from this school in particular helps a lot when looking for a job. Since the school is so hard to get into, people who graduate naturally are held to a higher standard and have some preference when applying to jobs. But I've rambled on for too long.

I figure this place will be an interesting place to share stories as well? I may have a few to share later on when I think of them.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 12:52:42

At 12/3/08 12:47 PM, 36Holla wrote: This is looking like a Wi/Ht? club already.

Can't be a bad thing ;P

Perhaps Wi/Ht? users are the more college-bound type... WHO KNOWS.

Nevertheless I will join this as well. I go to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and I major in Sociology.

Oh nice, my sister just graduated from the University of the West of England with a BA in Sociology with studies in Social Psychology. She wants to do a teaching course so that she can start a career that involves working with children who have learning disabilities.

What are you thinking of doing once you graduate?

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 13:00:22

At 12/3/08 12:25 PM, Fleshlight wrote: I'm a student at the University of Illinois and I'm majoring in New Media. I'm thinking of switching to Graphic Design, because New Media is too broad of a subject for me and the program just started this year so it's probably not too stable.

Media is something that I was very interested in. I love making movies and writing scripts. Back in high school I use to make movies for movie competitions all of the time and I had my Rawk movie win first place for best comedy and best acting. It was basically a story of how a couple of guys became a friend with a rock and people loved it. Those were the days. :(

So far, it's been fine. the only problem I have is in my history class. I took a mid term exam a while ago and almost failed it, and that's the only big grade I had so far. I'm taking Rhet and it's a lot easier than i thought it would be. The other classes are mostly art related and I'm acing them.

Yeah, I remember doing fine in my History final, but I still didn't care for the subject as much as I thought I would have. I just failed a class very recently and it was the first time that I have ever failed a class. Damn Economics and everything. Too bad it has to be so important or I could use the, "I will never use this in real life" excuse.

My dad's paying for my tuition (at least for the first year) but i really need to get a part time job to afford all the supplies i need for a lot of my classes.

My parents are also paying for my tuition, which may change here very soon when they get the story of my failing class back. :( Job time for me too I guess then.

What's the quickest way of doing this? I tried some Online sites but I'm a little hesitant of giving out my personal information. I can't find shit in the classifieds and they're mostly for experienced students (no one will hire a freshman for a graphic designs position).

Isn't there some jobs that the school offers? Like a desk job or kitchen duties or something. I recently sent in my application to get a desk job at the university's rec. center.

At 12/3/08 12:33 PM, sirtom93 wrote: I am considering going to Easton college (Norfolk, England) and learning Agriculture there. I really despise of school in general though and I hope it will be different. So I guess I can join this club in 7 months :3

Kind regards -
Thomas.

Hmm, yeah I do think it's a bit different than regular school. It's more independent and you have more time for yourself. Now how you choose to use that time is your choice, whether its a job, partying, studying, etc.. You just have to organize your time more. I like it more than high school to a point, but if I could go back and do high school again I think I would. That's coming from someone who actually enjoyed school though.

At 12/3/08 12:37 PM, RohantheBarbarian wrote: Cool idea, count me in. Odd that we were just discussing college today Corky :)

I think that was what got me interested in the whole thing, but I have thought about making it before also.

I didn't quote your other stuff because we already talked about this. =P

At 12/3/08 12:47 PM, 36Holla wrote: This is looking like a Wi/Ht? club already. Nevertheless I will join this as well. I go to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and I major in Sociology.

Haha, yeah it is isn't it? Maybe it has something to do with people that get voted in are usually more mature than most of the other members of this site, which usually comes with age.

I'm in my last year too which means I have to start looking for a job after college and I'm not looking forward to that. I would rather spend my days studying and drinking with friends than have to go out in the real world :( Really, I worry, but I probably shouldn't. The economy is making the job market look bad for when I graduate which is noteworthy but getting a degree from this school in particular helps a lot when looking for a job. Since the school is so hard to get into, people who graduate naturally are held to a higher standard and have some preference when applying to jobs. But I've rambled on for too long.

I know what you mean though. I might not feel it as much as you right now because I still have a little bit to go before I go out in the real world, but I still worry about it now and then too. I think about a house, kids, marriage, a job, etc.. It's a big jump.

I figure this place will be an interesting place to share stories as well? I may have a few to share later on when I think of them.

Sure is. That's what I'm hoping for at least. =P I know that you guys should have a lot of good college stories as do I.

Wow, catch up post on the first page.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 13:07:55

At 12/3/08 01:05 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: Two chapters of a thesis due next week.
Defend my thesis proposal friday.
30 pages of original fiction due next week.
Take home exam due friday.
3 page essay due tomorrow.
Read 40 pages of fiction for tomorrow.
Give a presentation next tuesday taking up the entirety of an hour and a half class period.
Deal with final bits of registration for next semester.
A final exam a week from saturday.
A final exam and take home essay questions due sometime next week.

Then BACK TO MODDING NEXT FRIDAY

You crazy bastard. Hope you manage to get all that sorted out; at least my essay / presentation / research stuff doesn't seem like such a mountain to climb after reading your list.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 13:30:14

At 12/3/08 12:25 PM, Fleshlight wrote: I'm a student at the University of Illinois and I'm majoring in New Media.

No shit. Is it the campus at Urbana-Champaign or are you in Chicago or Springfield?

My dad's paying for my tuition (at least for the first year) but i really need to get a part time job to afford all the supplies i need for a lot of my classes. What's the quickest way of doing this? I tried some Online sites but I'm a little hesitant of giving out my personal information. I can't find shit in the classifieds and they're mostly for experienced students (no one will hire a freshman for a graphic designs position).

For quick money before Xmas break, I suggest one of the bookstores. (that's what I'm doing) They usually need help around this time because so many students are selling their books back. The best time to look for a job is at the beginning of a semester too. If you're a freshman, you may have luck working in the dining halls assuming you live in a dorm. You can apply for those jobs again at the beginning of each semester. You'd probably have to start out working in a job that has nothing to do with what your major at first, but as you get more experience you'll be able to get those other positions for more experienced design jobs. I know getting the experience is important, but in the first year, you can give yourself some leeway on it.

At 12/3/08 12:52 PM, NEVR wrote: What are you thinking of doing once you graduate?

Your guess is as good as mine. I went to a career info night recently and from what I gathered there are opportunities in the business world and there are a few set jobs such as paralegal, or working on an education board or working in a library which I could do. I could also try to do something with law enforcement, but at the moment, I don't think I'd be able to pass the physical exam and there are some things in the past I did that may not look good for me, especially if I have to answer questions about them on a polygraph test. I'm not horribly worried since Sociology is a very broad major and can be applied to a lot of different types of jobs. I know next semester I'm going to be doing a lot of research and applying to a lot of places.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 13:39:18

I'm at Xaverian College in Manchester UK, in my second year studying Graphic Design, Art and English Language. I'm really undecided about wether I should go to uni or not, I've making the grades that I would need to get into university and I'm guessing it would be fun but I'm not sure about the length of time I'd spend in education and the amount of debt I'd be getting into afterwards =/

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 13:41:36

I'll join.

I'm attending the University of Hamburg in, well, Hamburg.

I plan to do my Diplom in business informatics. I reached the main study period* last semester, which means that I will need at least 4 or 5 semesters more until I graduate.

I needed already 6 semesters to finish the basic study period*. Normally students are supposed to finish this period in 4 semesters, but the majority of students needs more than that (5 or 6).

*Right now the german study system is reorganised to a Bachelor-/Master-System (but BA/MA sucks! :P). However, I'm studying under the old system (Diplom) which is split up in a "Basic study period (=Grundstudium)" where you learn the "basics" and you don't have much choice. There are lectures you HAVE TO attend. The "Main study period" isn't that strict. You have some categories where you have to reach a certain amount of "Points" (explaining this point system would go too far here) and you have quite a wide range of lectures you can choose from. It's up to you which lectures you attend.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 13:44:34

Sure I'll join. I'm a freshman and an Illustration major at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. College has been going pretty good except for some snags (I had to withdraw from my writing class, I'll now be retaking it next semester and the second part over the summer, though this doesn't affect my GPA at all) Also I found out I hate animation lol. My animation class makes me want to tear my eyeballs out. Next semester I'm taking Freshman Illustration though, and I'm really looking forward to that.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 15:29:17

I'm a student at the University of Illinois and I'm majoring in New Media. I'm thinking of switching to Graphic Design, because New Media is too broad of a subject for me and the program just started this year so it's probably not too stable.
Media is something that I was very interested in. I love making movies and writing scripts. Back in high school I use to make movies for movie competitions all of the time and I had my Rawk movie win first place for best comedy and best acting. It was basically a story of how a couple of guys became a friend with a rock and people loved it. Those were the days. :(

yeah...I recently studied this subject and found that the course at the university I'm at teaches a wide variety of media. Digital Painting is something I'm more interested in and everything else is...meh.

Yeah, I remember doing fine in my History final, but I still didn't care for the subject as much as I thought I would have. I just failed a class very recently and it was the first time that I have ever failed a class. Damn Economics and everything. Too bad it has to be so important or I could use the, "I will never use this in real life" excuse.

I'm taking Medieval Art History and it's a pretty boring lecture class. I never take any notes because I memorize most of the things the professor says. The test we had was BRUTAL. we had 50 minutes to write a page about 5 pieces of art. I never was good at time based tests. good thing the final exam will be 3 hours long (albeit there's like 15 essay questions)

My dad's paying for my tuition (at least for the first year) but i really need to get a part time job to afford all the supplies i need for a lot of my classes.
My parents are also paying for my tuition, which may change here very soon when they get the story of my failing class back. :( Job time for me too I guess then.

Me and my brother are planning on buying a house and renting out the available rooms. The dorms at my city cost like 400 bucks a month, so it might be a good idea. My brother's handling most of it though.

What's the quickest way of doing this? I tried some Online sites but I'm a little hesitant of giving out my personal information. I can't find shit in the classifieds and they're mostly for experienced students (no one will hire a freshman for a graphic designs position).
Isn't there some jobs that the school offers? Like a desk job or kitchen duties or something. I recently sent in my application to get a desk job at the university's rec. center.

I think the job market's been slow lately. I also tried to apply for the rec. center at my university, but they didn't have that many positions available.

I'm a student at the University of Illinois and I'm majoring in New Media.
No shit. Is it the campus at Urbana-Champaign or are you in Chicago or Springfield?

yup, urbana-champaign. I was hoping to get a job that's closer to my field in study, but I guess I'll go for some smaller fish.
I think I'm going to take some GenEd classes in the local community college so next year won't be too hard and to cut back on the tuition.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 15:39:08

I made a school club a while back, but this is specific and more well-organized.

I am not yet in college, but I have applied to Ithaca college in New York, West Chester Univeristy in Pennsylvania, and William Paterson University and Montclair University here in New Jersey. I wish to go for a sound engineering major (however, West Chester and Montclair do not have this program). My county college has been rated the second best county college in the country, so I would have no problem with going there.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 15:56:26

At 12/3/08 01:07 PM, NEVR wrote:
At 12/3/08 01:05 PM, gumOnShoe wrote:
Too much for me to handle.

Wow, all I have is a final exam tomorrow and one on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday of next week. You though have a shitload of stuff to get done.

Then BACK TO MODDING NEXT FRIDAY

Random fact - gumOnShoe was the last moderator to ban me.

You crazy bastard. Hope you manage to get all that sorted out; at least my essay / presentation / research stuff doesn't seem like such a mountain to climb after reading your list.

Even what you have to do compared to mine makes me feel like I don't have so much to do. I will be pretty busy tonight studying for the exam that I have tomorrow.

At 12/3/08 01:39 PM, Fim wrote: I'm at Xaverian College in Manchester UK, in my second year studying Graphic Design, Art and English Language. I'm really undecided about wether I should go to uni or not, I've making the grades that I would need to get into university and I'm guessing it would be fun but I'm not sure about the length of time I'd spend in education and the amount of debt I'd be getting into afterwards =/

Alright, can someone give me a crash course in how the schooling system works where you live? Is it just high school, college, and then university? Ours is just high school and then college. What is the difference between your guy's college/university? I'm really ignorant on the subject I guess.

At 12/3/08 01:41 PM, Haggard wrote: I'll join.

+1 more Wi/Ht member

I'm attending the University of Hamburg in, well, Hamburg.

I guess a link to my college would have been pretty smart as well. Lock Haven University in Lock Haven Pennsylvania.

I plan to do my Diplom in business informatics. I reached the main study period* last semester, which means that I will need at least 4 or 5 semesters more until I graduate.

I will have to come perhaps 1 extra semester because of changing my major. I hope to get that finished in the summer though.

*Right now the german study system is reorganised to a Bachelor-/Master-System (but BA/MA sucks! :P). However, I'm studying under the old system (Diplom) which is split up in a "Basic study period (=Grundstudium)" where you learn the "basics" and you don't have much choice. There are lectures you HAVE TO attend. The "Main study period" isn't that strict. You have some categories where you have to reach a certain amount of "Points" (explaining this point system would go too far here) and you have quite a wide range of lectures you can choose from. It's up to you which lectures you attend.

Ah, lectures are kind of different for all of my subjects really. For most of them I don't have to attend if I don't want to. But for some I do have to attend and it's a part of your grade. I still go to all of them anyway. I feel like I really fall behind if I don't go to everyone that I can. The only ones that I missed so far this year was for student teaching and because of some bad weather that I wanted to beat home for Thanksgiving break.

At 12/3/08 01:44 PM, gregaaron89 wrote: Sure I'll join. I'm a freshman and an Illustration major at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia. College has been going pretty good except for some snags (I had to withdraw from my writing class, I'll now be retaking it next semester and the second part over the summer, though this doesn't affect my GPA at all)

I so wish that I would have dropped my Economics class. I need to keep a 3.00 average and by not dropping it and failing it my GPA is going to get hurt. I wish I would have dropped it much earlier in the year when I realized that it may be too hard for me to do.

Also I found out I hate animation lol. My animation class makes me want to tear my eyeballs out. Next semester I'm taking Freshman Illustration though, and I'm really looking forward to that.

Animating like flash animating? I would love to learn how to animate. I've been practicing with sprites, (after getting kicked from the NGDD and the EGB for having spammy sprite movies) and I've gotten alright with them. Still nothing exciting, but I do understand the very basics of animating now. I just can't draw well enough to make "real" flashes.

At 12/3/08 03:29 PM, Fleshlight wrote:
yeah...I recently studied this subject and found that the course at the university I'm at teaches a wide variety of media. Digital Painting is something I'm more interested in and everything else is...meh.

What exactly is Digital Painting? Anyway, I would love if my college had something in it to do with movies/movie making. I would choose that as my major right away.

I'm taking Medieval Art History and it's a pretty boring lecture class. I never take any notes because I memorize most of the things the professor says. The test we had was BRUTAL. we had 50 minutes to write a page about 5 pieces of art. I never was good at time based tests. good thing the final exam will be 3 hours long (albeit there's like 15 essay questions)

I was really bad at Art so I decided to take History of Art instead. Oh boy what a mistake that was. Well sort of I guess. I passed the class with an A, but the amount of work that had to be put in to remembering everything was terrible. I had to remember who, what, where, when, how, etc.. for around 100 different pieces of art or so for each exam and had to write a 1 page essay on a subject. There would also be vocab and fill in the blanks. No word banks in college though. =P Ha, I'm lucky they had a lot of extra credit in that class like going to art shows and stuff.

I always take extra credit chances.

Me and my brother are planning on buying a house and renting out the available rooms. The dorms at my city cost like 400 bucks a month, so it might be a good idea. My brother's handling most of it though.

I have a friend that is transferring over and we would like to get an apartment sometime. If you ever check out the movies that I have under my flash named Hay Wars or Beneath The Sheets the guy that is in the movies with me is the one that is transferring to my college. We will probably get an apartment sometime next year.

I think the job market's been slow lately. I also tried to apply for the rec. center at my university, but they didn't have that many positions available.

Yeah, well since the new semester is coming up I would try the rec. center again. It was filled up by the time that I got to it at the beginning of the semester, but now that there is a new semester coming up there may be some open spots.

At 12/3/08 03:39 PM, Twone wrote: I made a school club a while back, but this is specific and more well-organized.

I think I remember seeing it.

I am not yet in college

That's fine if you still want to join though.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 16:32:27

At 12/3/08 03:56 PM, Corky52 wrote:
Animating like flash animating? I would love to learn how to animate. I've been practicing with sprites, (after getting kicked from the NGDD and the EGB for having spammy sprite movies) and I've gotten alright with them. Still nothing exciting, but I do understand the very basics of animating now. I just can't draw well enough to make "real" flashes.

I wish. We're doing hand drawn, frame by frame animation with a lightbox. The most tedious and boring thing ever. And all we've done is boring exercises like animating a bouncing ball and a sack of flour that's alive, the sheer stupidity of it makes it worse. For our final project though, we're making a cutout animation that has to have a character and 3 scenes. We're allowed to use Flash if we want, and I am going to learn it as fast as possible because I think this one will actually be fun :3 It's just the time factor in animation that I really hate. You'll spend 10 hours on a 6 second frame by frame animation if you put too much thought and detail into it like I do. With animation you're supposed to take shortcuts and be as fast and smooth as possible, and as an illustration person I'm naturally really slow and careful with the details in my art so animation is really tough for me.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 17:23:22

Can't believe this hasn't been done before. Anyways, good luck with the crew.

Founder of the Asian Users club

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 18:01:04

I'm not in College yet, but I am definitely going to go after next year. I want to major in Computer Programming, and I'd also love to major in Auto Mechanics. I either want to go to Toronto to Seneca College or Kingston to St. Lawrence. Is it possible to take an Auto Mechanics course in College?

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-03 20:19:15

At 12/3/08 04:32 PM, gregaaron89 wrote:
I wish. We're doing hand drawn, frame by frame animation with a lightbox. The most tedious and boring thing ever.

Ah, I couldn't imagine doing that. D:

And all we've done is boring exercises like animating a bouncing ball and a sack of flour that's alive, the sheer stupidity of it makes it worse. For our final project though, we're making a cutout animation that has to have a character and 3 scenes. We're allowed to use Flash if we want, and I am going to learn it as fast as possible because I think this one will actually be fun :3

Yeah flash isn't really that hard. I mean I only speak from understanding how to do the layers, tweens, and stuff like that. I haven't gotten into the advanced things yet. It takes practice. Hopefully I will be there sometime in the future. For a simple flash though it doesn't really take too much. A flash like you described wouldn't take that long.

It's just the time factor in animation that I really hate. You'll spend 10 hours on a 6 second frame by frame animation if you put too much thought and detail into it like I do.

Ha, well with my flash so far I put in about a half hour a day to just result in about 5 seconds so yeah I would say flash is much easier to use.

With animation you're supposed to take shortcuts and be as fast and smooth as possible, and as an illustration person I'm naturally really slow and careful with the details in my art so animation is really tough for me.

Yeah, I know how that is also. I rather take my time when doing something and I have a hard time if I have to hurry up.

You should see how long it takes me to write a sentence in cursive. :s

At 12/3/08 05:23 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote: Can't believe this hasn't been done before. Anyways, good luck with the crew.

Ha, yeah. I searched for a college one and could only find school or high school clubs. Thanks for the good luck.

At 12/3/08 06:01 PM, UnknownFear wrote: I'm not in College yet, but I am definitely going to go after next year.

Feel free to join then.

I want to major in Computer Programming, and I'd also love to major in Auto Mechanics. I either want to go to Toronto to Seneca College or Kingston to St. Lawrence. Is it possible to take an Auto Mechanics course in College?

Well the college that I attend covers computer programming, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover auto mechanics. Tech. schools though do cover both of these and I have friends that attend Tech. school and are majoring in these things.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 14:40:46

Today I had my final exam for my Psychology class. I wouldn't doubt it that I got a 100% on the exam. It was pretty easy and that was on only about 1 day of studying. I have a project to do now for my Elementary Education class, which is almost completely finished. It was to do 10 things that you have never done before with evidence. I have all of the things complete and I only have to organize/print all of my pictures and signatures of the events. I should be free for the rest of the night then.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 15:28:35

I'll join. I'm a first year at the University of Birmingham, reading Computer Science. I started out on Computer Science with Business Studies, but dropped the Business Studies aspect as I found it incredibly dull and uninspiring, whereas the extra CS modules that I didn't take were far more interesting (Most notably, Language & Logic).

Anyway, brb.

I have two tests tomorrow. One's a doss, Intro to Maths (Due to technicalities when switching course, I got put onto the Intro to Maths module that is designed for people who didn't take Maths at A-Level, even though I got a B at A-level), and I will be incredibly dissapointed if I don't get 95% or higher in that, the other is in Foundations of Computer Science and I've been revising for the best part of the day on that.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 15:42:04

At 12/3/08 03:56 PM, Corky52 wrote: Alright, can someone give me a crash course in how the schooling system works where you live? Is it just high school, college, and then university? Ours is just high school and then college. What is the difference between your guy's college/university? I'm really ignorant on the subject I guess. .

UK Education system
School is compulsory up to 16. Your school for 11-16 y/o is generally known as a secondary school, but sometimes a high school.

If you are planning on going to University, more likely than not you will go to a Sixth Form College (can be part of your secondary school), and take (usually) four A-Levels. These span two years, so 16-18.

You can however, go to a College and just take GNVQs in Hair and Beauty if you plan on being a failure. :P

Then you join University (sometimes called College if you want to confuse things) as an undergraduate, it's higher education, with degrees, specialisation, etc, etc, and that functions similarly enough to American colleges.

However, unlike what I've gathered about the american higher education system, there are a couple of key differences. There may be more, who knows?

Generally, we don't use a major/minor system, but instead you just take a chosen course and leave it at that. You may choose modules to do within that, or even take a joint honours course mixing it with another course, but it's not known as major/minor.

We don't pay nearly as much tuition as you guys sometimes seem to do. All universities charge up to £3000 per year (most charge the full £3k), but that's a relatively new introduction to the system. Here's a page on the BBC that helps explain it a bit. This fee is also covered by the Student Loan Organisation, a government-run organisation which loans money to students to cover this. So I just have to pay for food, rent, and books, etc.

Also, there are a couple of differences in Scotland, but I don't know much about those barren wastelands.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 15:49:26

At 12/4/08 03:42 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: You can however, go to a College and just take GNVQs in Hair and Beauty if you plan on being a failure. :P

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology A-Levels at college. Sixth form is for losers.

Anyway yeah, sent of my UCAS application for University last week. Applied to Durham, York, Manchester, Lancaster and Leeds for Physics. It's still going through all the wanky college checks that have to happen before it's sent off, though, so I haven't got any offers yet or anything.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 15:51:27

At 12/3/08 08:19 PM, Corky52 wrote: Well the college that I attend covers computer programming, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't cover auto mechanics. Tech. schools though do cover both of these and I have friends that attend Tech. school and are majoring in these things.

Interesting. I'll definitely look into auto mechanics more.

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 16:04:08

At 12/4/08 03:49 PM, TheMaster wrote: Sixth form is for losers.

Obviously you and I have different conceptions of college. Round my end of the woods Sixth form is anywhere that primarily does A-Levels, whether attatched to a school or not. A college is like, a vocational place full of retards that are too scared to get a real job.

Eh, I didn't get most of my offers back till mid jan or so. You'll live.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 16:15:17

At 12/4/08 04:04 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Obviously you and I have different conceptions of college. Round my end of the woods Sixth form is anywhere that primarily does A-Levels, whether attatched to a school or not. A college is like, a vocational place full of retards that are too scared to get a real job.

Up here a Sixth Form is a bit attached to a school that's basically just two more years of school, like all the ones up here have uniforms, and you have to come in even if you don't have lectures that day, and a college is a standalone thing that offers A-Levels, GCSE resits and all the vocational rubbish but is more informal than a Sixth Form.

Eh, I didn't get most of my offers back till mid jan or so. You'll live.

I have mates who sent them off a couple of weeks before me who've had them already. I just checked on the UCAS site actually and it said the application has gone off to them, and I'll get a letter in the post telling me how to track responses from the universities on their website. Fuck knows why they couldn't just tell me that on the site, but whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 16:43:01

Uniforms? Hah! I don't know a single person in state education who wore a uniform to sixth form. Besides, I had classes everyday in 6th form anyway, and so did everyone else.

Anyway, for your UCAS, you'll find some universities don't respond at all until the window has closed, so that they can be fair and reasonable and fuck you over waiting for them to respond.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2008-12-04 16:51:33

At 12/4/08 04:43 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Uniforms? Hah! I don't know a single person in state education who wore a uniform to sixth form. Besides, I had classes everyday in 6th form anyway, and so did everyone else.

The only one near enough to me for me to have feasibly gone to has uniforms and I know people who have no lessons some days, and still have to go in at 9 in the morning to get registered, although they're allowed to go back home after that.

At college, I get Monday off (except I've been going in for these biology resit revision classes from 3:30 - 4:15, but they finish at Christmas), and I'm only in 11:00-1:30 on Wednesdays.

I have a mate who's first lesson of the week is Tuesday afternoon, has the same Wednesday as me, is in all Thursday and then is only in Friday morning, and he's still going to come out of this with 3 A-Levels. The cunt.

Anyway, for your UCAS, you'll find some universities don't respond at all until the window has closed, so that they can be fair and reasonable and fuck you over waiting for them to respond.

Yeah, Durham and York, my first and second choices, both do this. It'd just be nice to get a slightly lower one from one of the other 3 early, you know? Just so if I do cock up the exams I know I've got something to fall back on.

BBS Signature