00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cody1993 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

College Life Club

103,422 Views | 1,047 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to College Life Club 2011-08-31 22:10:27

At 8/31/11 07:26 PM, agustana wrote: So much stuff.

Fuck, that reminds me of my first year. I had so much shit, car was packed so full my dad couldn't come down to see the uni because there was no space for him.

You'll probably find you don't need most of it, I definitely did. I now have two big plastic bags, one with bedding, one with clothes, one cardboard box of kitchen shit, a backpack with all my electronics, and a carrier bag of textbooks.

I had a TV, a desktop PC, games consoles, a big box of DVDs and games, another of books, and loads of other stuff, and they were all a total waste of space.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-01 03:05:06

At 9/1/11 12:35 AM, agustana wrote:
At 8/31/11 08:26 PM, ZJ wrote: Packing and unpacking was a major pain in the dick for me. All I wanted was my N64 and some clothes, but mom and dad FORCED me to bring dumb crap like a printer and bedding. :D
I went dorm shopping and spent over two hundred dollars on things, lol.

To be fair, women and men view decorating a room differently. You'd probably like it to look a nice place, while I wouldn't care if it just had a TV and N64 in it with a bin of clothes. Ha, it's a gender thing.

Also, I found this in the residence hall. It made me laugh.

College Life Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-01 16:09:15

At 9/1/11 04:00 PM, agustana wrote:
At 9/1/11 03:05 AM, ZJ wrote: To be fair, women and men view decorating a room differently. You'd probably like it to look a nice place, while I wouldn't care if it just had a TV and N64 in it with a bin of clothes. Ha, it's a gender thing.
I suppose. My desk is my favorite part of my room.

I would say that my desk is probably my favorite part of the room. Unless I'm tired. When that happens, my bed is usually my favorite. I'm fickle like that.

College Life Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-01 16:59:42

How can you people live with such cluttered desks?

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-01 18:20:01

At 9/1/11 04:59 PM, Dean wrote: How can you people live with such cluttered desks?

Ha, I usually clean up every week or so. All I really need is access to the keyboard. Haha.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-01 21:28:35

My cell biology professor loaded a Newgrounds animation in class today. Seems pretty relevant to mention.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-02 01:03:37

At 9/1/11 09:28 PM, Chumbawamba wrote: My cell biology professor loaded a Newgrounds animation in class today. Seems pretty relevant to mention.

That's just awesome right there :D.

Well, I start my second year of college on Tuesday. Only difference, I've switched courses from taking Computer Programming to Computer System Technology!! Focuses on basically the networking and security side. In a nut shell, the overview says this course is a "hand-on" course, so it's basically one HUGE 3 year lab :P Pretty awesome :) I'll post the schedule once I get the final info on my schedule. Can't WAIT to start on Tuesday!!! :D :D :D

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-03 08:48:59

The hall I've been offered has a download cap of 14GB a week.

How the fuck am I supposed to survive.

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-03 09:02:24

At 9/3/11 08:48 AM, SomaGuye wrote: The hall I've been offered has a download cap of 14GB a week.

60 gig a month? That's masses, man the fuck up. Last year a house of four of us was on 100 gig a month and didn't have any problems.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-03 20:32:30

It's so awesome to have a college desk that you personalized. I'm so damn excited that I've got basically everything set up. All I have to do is work with the speakers I bought and see if I can get them to work. Other than that, it's all pretty much perfect.

College Life Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-03 22:09:21

At 9/3/11 09:02 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 9/3/11 08:48 AM, SomaGuye wrote: The hall I've been offered has a download cap of 14GB a week.

60 gig a month? That's masses, man the fuck up. Last year a house of four of us was on 100 gig a month and didn't have any problems.

I couldn't live with a bandwidth cap. I hit at least 20GB a month with just the TV shows I download weekly, and I frequently download full TV series to watch and games off steam in addition to that.

Honestly for the price difference I can't see the point in not getting unlimited. I paid £21 per month for unlimited internet and free weekend calls last year, and I don't think you'd pay much less with a cap.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-04 16:24:17

At 9/3/11 08:32 PM, ZJ wrote: All I have to do is work with the speakers I bought and see if I can get them to work.

Alright! I got my speakers working after I bought a special cord to hook them up to my laptop! Now I can blast sweet tunes like this:

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-04 22:11:37

I thought you guys will be talking about pussies and getting wasted and such.

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-04 23:18:38

DESKS?!

College Life Club

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-05 01:03:50

At 9/4/11 10:11 PM, NinoGrounds wrote: I thought you guys will be talking about pussies and getting wasted and such.

It's generally not the greatest idea to talk about doing illegal stuff on a medium that could potentially be preserved forever by someone who can use screenshot technology.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-05 04:48:16

At 9/5/11 04:33 AM, AngryBombshell wrote: They had us doing poorly-executed team-building exercises in an attempt to teach us social skills. This was the Saturday I moved in.

Team building exercises? Don't they know that all it takes is a few beers?

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-05 07:58:55

At 9/5/11 04:33 AM, AngryBombshell wrote: You guys should've been there.

They had us doing poorly-executed team-building exercises in an attempt to teach us social skills. This was the Saturday I moved in.

They had us doing the same shit for the first week I was here. There were so many ice breaker events in that week that I was truly sick of talking about myself and asking people what their name and major was. I just wanted college to get started for real.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-05 22:17:40

So, since I was bored today, I went exploring around campus and found out that there's an old covered bridge near our athletic fields. Being the dork that I am, I trekked out there and found it. I enjoyed going there in a really nerdy way. Also, i tried out for Miami's improv group today and will find out the results of the auditions by 11:15 tonight. I'm nervous.

Also, here's a picture of that bridge:

College Life Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-05 22:45:31

At 9/5/11 10:17 PM, ZJ wrote: Also, here's a picture of that bridge:

You should go there on a crisp evening in autumn and read "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-05 22:55:28

At 9/5/11 10:45 PM, Chumbawamba wrote:
At 9/5/11 10:17 PM, ZJ wrote: Also, here's a picture of that bridge:
You should go there on a crisp evening in autumn and read "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".

Ha, I could do that or do what Luis suggested:

College Life Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-06 13:29:14

Well, first day is finally here!!! Here is my weekly schedule:

Monday:
PC Hardware I (10:45 - 11:40)
Basic Administration of Microsoft Windows (11:40 - 1:30)
PC Hardware I (1:30 - 3:20)

Tuesday:
Active Server Pages using Visual Basic Scripting (9:50 - 11:40)
Introduction to Open System Servers (3:20 - 5:10)

Off Wednesdays!!!

Thursday:
PC Hardware I (1:30 - 3:20)
Basic Administration of Microsoft Windows (3:20 - 6:05)

Friday:
Active Server Pages using Visual Basic Scripting (9:50 - 11:30)
Introduction to Open System Servers (1:30 - 4:05)

ASP is pretty interesting. Waiting for 3:20 for my very first Linux server course. Can't wait!!

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-06 13:59:44

At 9/5/11 10:55 PM, ZJ wrote: Ha, I could do that or do what Luis suggested:

It's odd that you post that, because I was looking through Luis' recent Facebook activity trying to find a status he commented on and then I came across your profile in the process of it. Okay, maybe not that odd coming across another NG user on Luis' profile but whatever, I felt like telling you.

I start back on Monday for my third year and here's my timetable. I'm not a fan of it:

Monday
Computer Graphics (12:15 - 1:15)
Foundations 1 (1:15 - 2:15)

Tuesday
Computer Graphics (9:15 - 10:15)
Foundations 1 (10:15 - 11:15)

Wednesday
Computer Graphics Lab (10:15 - 12:15)
Artificial Intelligence & Intelligent Agents (12:15 - 1:15)

Thursday
Artificial Intelligence & Intelligent Agents Lab (9:15 - 11:15)
Foundations 1 (11:15 - 12:15)
Artificial Intelligence & Intelligent Agents (12:15 - 1:15)
Software Engineering (2:15 - 4:15)

Friday
Computer Graphics (10:15 - 11:15)
Artificial Intelligence & Intelligent Agents (11:15 - 12:15)
Software Engineering (12:15 - 1:15)
Software Engineering (2:15 - 3:15)

Okay, now let me explain why that sucks. I'm stuck on campus from 9am to 5pm regardless, and the first three of those days are pretty much empty, meaning I have to sit around most of the day (probably on my own because my mates will have gone home) doing nothing. If I don't feel like I'm going to miss a whole lot, it's currently my intention to skip Tuesdays.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-07 01:36:24

I just got invited to go to a "The Room" viewing party at a nearby dorm on Saturday. I'm so excited that there are other geeks on this campus.

College Life Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-07 06:02:57

At 9/6/11 01:59 PM, Dean wrote: it's currently my intention to skip Tuesdays.

just do all your coursework on tuesday afternooon

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-07 06:28:34

At 9/7/11 06:02 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: just do all your coursework on tuesday afternooon

I can imagine I'll probably want to do that at some point, because I think we get the big group project this year. I can't imagine getting any coursework for the first few weeks though, although I could be mistaken. We'll see how it goes I guess.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-07 17:15:52

two weeks into college freshman year and i'm still getting quite homesick whenever i have any down time. help? :(

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-07 20:20:58

I dunno man. While I was at uni I phoned home for a chat with my parents once a week pretty much, I found excuses to go home mid-semester for a weekend or so as well... but I never got homesick. Whether that was because of the steps I took or not I don't know, I mean I'd been travelling in my gap year before hand and spent 2.5 months away from home with barely any contact without any trouble at all so I dont know.

But yeah just give your parents a ring. It'll help just to hear their voices.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-07 20:27:18

I went home every weekend for 2 years because I hated my halls in my first year, and I lived in a shed with no central heating, cooker or real bed in my second year. £21 round trip, so not that bad.

Hopefully now that I live in a house for real people I'll be able to stomach staying down for longer.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-08 08:18:09

Yea, I went home every weekend in first year, but I only lived about an hour away so it wasn't all that hard to do. I remember when I first started uni I felt proper lonely and homesick I guess, but once you get settled in with your classes and make some mates and stuff it gets a lot better.

BBS Signature

Response to College Life Club 2011-09-08 22:09:05

At 9/8/11 08:18 AM, Dean wrote: Yea, I went home every weekend in first year, but I only lived about an hour away so it wasn't all that hard to do.

Yeah same, hour on the train. As long as I don't have a 9:15 lecture on the Monday I don't even have to get the train back until the morning, because I can easily get down for 10:15.

I never really got homesick because I was never down for long enough. I had originally planned to come home every fortnight or so, so on my first term I stayed down for a fortnight, went home for the weekend, and then planned to do keep doing that, but fell horrifically ill when I got back to uni, and ended up coming home that weekend too, and after doing it 2 weeks in a row I was just like "fuck it this is no bother at all, no point in staying down", and just came back every weekend from there on in.

BBS Signature