Wow! Love the chill chords and "funky" tune, and the xylophone + electric piano solo! Lots of extra details like the fills and breaks in the drums really make this song great. Good work!
Love those static flickers. And those crisp xylophone/bell organ sound. I am amazed by the production quality from you two.
Keep it up! 5/5
thanks mang! =)
Your turn, Grant! Enjoy the review - open wide!
Stuff that's great:
- Oh my god the solos in this song. They're so good holy shit. At least the ones in the first half are nuts.
- Literally everything the xylophone does.
- Excellent intro and overall arrangement of sections.
Stuff that can be improved:
- Chorus melody is pretty not good. Mainly stems from two things - the diverging endings of the first two phrases, and the last phrase being out of place compared to the rest.
- Out of breath singing lol (2:11)
- The really weird glitch section at the end after what really should have been the outro, chopping the vocals into stuff that sounds like "cyberhand" multiple times somehow. Good glitches, but super not in the right place.
Mixing (quickfire round!):
- Bass is fairly buried and weak. Careful with mids for the tone.
- 1:24 Percussion background.
- Careful when spitting your automation back out (1:00)
- Things punch a bit too much - reign in your compression and limiting a bit, it practically causes bruises atm.
- 3:08 section percussion and bass. Volume seems to increase through this section and starts punching harder as it gets further.
So like. This is really good and has some of the best solos I've heard from you. It also has some of the most overcompressed mixing I've heard from you, and a weirdly really bad chorus, definitely compared to the rest of the piece. Odd combo of issues and good things.
I thought the cascading synth at the beginning was a bit of a lazy way to start the piece, but by :05 the piece has a really smooth, refreshing vibe. The vocals at :35 are enjoyable, although I thought the lyrics were pretty generic. The melodies in the middle section of the piece are great, and I thought the slap bass was a nice touch. You overuse the crashes a bit, though. At 2:11, the vocals seem a bit strained, and then come in a lot louder at 2:13, which was a tad jarring. The chopped vocals at 3:05 constituted my favorite part of the piece. The ending might’ve been a bit rushed, and I suppose I would’ve liked to see you vary the vocals a bit more. Overall, it’s quite an enjoyable piece, and I think the mastering is cleaner than in your last track. Good job, guys! ^^
Mixing, mastering, and balance
Structure, transitions, phrasing, and variety
Melody, tonality, harmony, and texture
Instrumentation and sound design
Emotion, atmosphere, and catchiness
Originality and uniqueness
Overall (how do the above elements interact?)
thanks TL! cu next year ;-)
.. THO HOW IS A XYLO SOLO NOT ORIGINAL WTF
It's so happy. But this is definitely the Johnfn feel and it's actually the opposite of sad. lol
thanks spadezer!! hey but uh who said this song was sad =P
Please contact me if you would like to use this in a project. We can discuss the details.