00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

htffan2000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Viking Army

173,734 Views | 1,749 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-14 07:32:54

At 1/13/09 02:43 PM, vdviking wrote:
They measure from the tip, the longer down you put your nail the braver (or foolhardier) you are. The wrapping is from the hilt up to the nail, more uncovered steel gives deeper wounds.

OUUUCH!
That hurts as hell!
Oh, and what does this (Fä dö, fränder dö, Dö skall även du. Men ett vet jag som aldrig dör, Domen över död man.) mean?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-14 10:10:34

At 1/14/09 07:32 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 1/13/09 02:43 PM, vdviking wrote:
They measure from the tip, the longer down you put your nail the braver (or foolhardier) you are. The wrapping is from the hilt up to the nail, more uncovered steel gives deeper wounds.
OUUUCH!
That hurts as hell!
Oh, and what does this (Fä dö, fränder dö, Dö skall även du. Men ett vet jag som aldrig dör, Domen över död man.) mean?

It's taken from Havamal (meaning The Song of the High One, i.e. Odin) and is a series of good advice to people, written in verse form.

That part means roughly translated - Your worldly riches will disappear or be lost, your family and clan members will die as your friends, and so will also you! But, says Odin "I know of one thing that never dies, the judgement over a dead man". I interpret this as everything is lost when you die, but what you have done during your lifetime will live forever, so make sure to live a life to be proud of.

The Icelandic original
Deyr fé,
deyja frændr,
deyr sjálfr et sama;
ek veit einn,
at aldri deyr:
dómr of dauðan hvern.

And an English translation, which I'm sorry to say I find very weak
Cattle die,
kinsmen die
the self must also die;
I know one thing which never dies:
the reputation of each dead man.

Try out Havamal and Voluspa on Wikipedia for more info.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-14 11:39:19

You know you've got a good game when someone ends up dead. Jai Alai, anyone?

While a dangerous game, you wont necessarily end up dead :3

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-14 18:48:50

At 1/14/09 11:39 AM, sirtom93 wrote:
You know you've got a good game when someone ends up dead. Jai Alai, anyone?
While a dangerous game, you wont necessarily end up dead :3

It could happen. Catch that ball with you throat, temple, or even your nose with no immediate medical attention, and it could definitely happen.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-15 08:39:06

At 1/14/09 10:10 AM, vdviking wrote:
It's taken from Havamal (meaning The Song of the High One, i.e. Odin) and is a series of good advice to people, written in verse form.

So it's a religious song.

That part means roughly translated - Your worldly riches will disappear or be lost, your family and clan members will die as your friends, and so will also you! But, says Odin "I know of one thing that never dies, the judgement over a dead man". I interpret this as everything is lost when you die, but what you have done during your lifetime will live forever, so make sure to live a life to be proud of.

Wow, they sure were wise!

And an English translation, which I'm sorry to say I find very weak
Cattle die,
kinsmen die
the self must also die;
I know one thing which never dies:
the reputation of each dead man.

I agree, but you have to admit that it's not an easy translation at all...translating a poem in an old language such as ancient greek, latin and sanskrit is not easy at all, because you have to catch the meaning, but also the style of it..

Try out Havamal and Voluspa on Wikipedia for more info.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-15 17:18:28

At 9/21/08 07:30 PM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote: my brothers I do fear Ragnorak is near let us summon the gods of asgard and their imp Loki.

Since you can't spell Ragnaroek right and you call Loki an Imp, I won't even consider your input as even half-way serious,

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-15 17:28:12

At 1/15/09 08:39 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 1/14/09 10:10 AM, vdviking wrote:
So it's a religious song.

I wouldn't call it religious, it's more of everyday advice for travellers. For example some verses days that the best luggage on a trip is common sense, and before you enter a unknown hall look around carefully, to maken sure you know any enemies, before you sit down, And never speak rashly when you're drunk! And so forth!

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-16 11:49:06

At 1/15/09 05:28 PM, vdviking wrote:
I wouldn't call it religious, it's more of everyday advice for travellers. For example some verses days that the best luggage on a trip is common sense, and before you enter a unknown hall look around carefully, to maken sure you know any enemies, before you sit down, And never speak rashly when you're drunk! And so forth!

Ok then, an everyday advice for traveller it is!
Oh, and lol, Loki isn't an imp, who said that?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-17 16:02:52

Ok then, an everyday advice for traveller it is!
Oh, and lol, Loki isn't an imp, who said that?

While he isn't an imp, he has had many misleading illustrative adaptations.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-18 04:23:50

At 1/17/09 04:02 PM, sirtom93 wrote:

He doesen't look like an imp to me...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-18 06:51:03

At 1/18/09 04:23 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 1/17/09 04:02 PM, sirtom93 wrote:

He doesen't look like an imp to me...

Picture is quite win.

How are you all today?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-19 08:29:40

At 1/18/09 06:51 AM, sirtom93 wrote:
Picture is quite win.

:D

How are you all today?

Good, and l just had an idea: why not post some cool viking (or norse) pictures?
I mean, they could be weapons, monsters, even photoshopped pictures...what do you think?
I'll start by posting this viking warrior pic.
It's not supposed to be realistic, just cool.

Ng Viking Army

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-20 16:39:25

So, my fellow soldiers, what did you think of Obama's speech? Was it epic, or fail? Depressing? Or inspiring? Funny? or Serious? X? or Y? Alright, I'll stop there.
But anyways, I thought it was very well done. One day in office and he's already said more intelligent things than Bush did in 8 years.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-21 07:41:25

At 1/20/09 04:39 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: So, my fellow soldiers, what did you think of Obama's speech? Was it epic, or fail? Depressing? Or inspiring? Funny? or Serious? X? or Y? Alright, I'll stop there.
But anyways, I thought it was very well done. One day in office and he's already said more intelligent things than Bush did in 8 years.

Well, you know that Bush was voted as the USA's worst president....
Oh, and Obama is OK, but let's not forget, he isn't God, so don't expect too much from him..

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-21 15:28:06

Let time tell how good Obama is, and how well he lives up to his promises.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-21 20:55:23

At 1/21/09 03:28 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Let time tell how good Obama is, and how well he lives up to his promises.

Time measures us all. But, still, Obama shows more promise than Bush did.

And that's why Gore SHOULD have won...

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-22 06:18:34

At 1/21/09 08:55 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: Time measures us all. But, still, Obama shows more promise than Bush did.

Yeah..l still can't understand how the hell americans voted for the same president twice in a row, even after what he did...much like Italy's Berlusconi...

And that's why Gore SHOULD have won...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-22 07:28:22

At 1/22/09 06:18 AM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 1/21/09 08:55 PM, DeathNoteetoNhtaeD wrote: Time measures us all. But, still, Obama shows more promise than Bush did.
Yeah..l still can't understand how the hell americans voted for the same president twice in a row, even after what he did...much like Italy's Berlusconi...

Yeah, I don't get it either. But let's understand that John Kerry, unlike Yahtzee, is less than a charismatic stallion. Bush should never have been President in the first place, and he certainly made the most of an opportunity of a lifetime.

Like winning the lottery.

Schwang-wang-wang

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-22 18:15:34

I wouldn't say Bush was the worst political leader ever, his intentions were, supposedly, in Americas best wishes. He was just an idiot. I really dislike Americas "world policing" ways though, hopefully Obama will restrain from dominating world affairs and shitting on country's political systems, like England's :3

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-22 18:59:50

Hey sirtom can I join the NG Viking Army?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-22 19:03:18

At 1/22/09 06:59 PM, wildface098 wrote: Hey sirtom can I join the NG Viking Army?

You sure can. Do you have any particular favorite part of norse mythology?

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-22 19:15:30

At 1/22/09 07:03 PM, sirtom93 wrote:
At 1/22/09 06:59 PM, wildface098 wrote: Hey sirtom can I join the NG Viking Army?
You sure can. Do you have any particular favorite part of norse mythology?

I probably don't know as much about them as you do but we went through a class in it. I've heard of the 3 gods. I remember Odin, Thar, and Freeja. we didn't get much into it. we just learned about what they did.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-23 11:14:50

I probably don't know as much about them as you do but we went through a class in it. I've heard of the 3 gods. I remember Odin, Thar, and Freeja. we didn't get much into it. we just learned about what they did.

Yeah they were pretty major, but there were many more Gods, and they vary across area.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-23 11:47:08

At 1/22/09 06:15 PM, sirtom93 wrote: I wouldn't say Bush was the worst political leader ever, his intentions were, supposedly, in Americas best wishes. He was just an idiot. I really dislike Americas "world policing" ways though, hopefully Obama will restrain from dominating world affairs and shitting on country's political systems, like England's :3

Well, you know, he is the presindent and this means he has to respect America's policies, and if the policy is "KILL FOR OIL", then he'll do it...he's not the only one taking decisions...

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-23 15:49:32

Well, you know, he is the presindent and this means he has to respect America's policies, and if the policy is "KILL FOR OIL", then he'll do it...he's not the only one taking decisions...

Indeed, but he does have a huge influence over current policy's.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-24 05:05:01

At 1/23/09 03:49 PM, sirtom93 wrote: Indeed, but he does have a huge influence over current policy's.

True, but there are some people that have a huge infulence on HIM, so it's really too complicated....

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-24 11:51:37

Just ordered a book of story's from Norse mythology :3 Looks quite childish, but it will be informative never the less.

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-25 02:06:30

At 1/24/09 11:51 AM, sirtom93 wrote: Just ordered a book of story's from Norse mythology :3 Looks quite childish, but it will be informative never the less.

Care to post a link?I mean, a link to the e-shop where you bought it from..

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-25 07:49:36

Response to Ng Viking Army 2009-01-26 05:19:08

At 1/25/09 07:49 AM, sirtom93 wrote: Here it is -

OK thanks