00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BloodLordAngelo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

<x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x>

27,742 Views | 487 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 02:39:28

At 7/16/08 01:16 AM, aquaticmole wrote: meet me at table 4

We're done playing.

I won twice, he won twice. No draws.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 02:40:20

Just finished up my 4th game with smc316

I won twice
We tied once
He won once

Fun times anyway its time to sleep for me.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 02:41:48

At 7/16/08 02:39 AM, smc316 wrote: No draws.

LIAR! You can't hide your past, it will always be there to haunt you.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 02:41:53

At 7/16/08 02:40 AM, aquaticmole wrote: We tied once

it was no tie!

You had a king and three pons, I still had two queens, a castle a knight, two pons and a king!

I won by default!

It only said we tied cause I ran out of time cause he likes to run away.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 02:44:08

At 7/16/08 02:41 AM, smc316 wrote: blah

Oh I forgot in a stalemate you count up all the pieces lost. YOUR RIGHT MY BAD!

Oh well, fun times.

2 for 2, not bad.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 02:47:11

Going on, anyone wanna play?

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 02:50:32

At 7/16/08 02:47 AM, g0t wrote: Going on, anyone wanna play?

I would, but I don't want my losses to pile up even more.

Wins 3
Losses 8
Draws 2

I'll play you if I ever aquire godly chess skills.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:07:34

My stats are in my signature. No losses yet.

Member of the Newgrounds Chess Club W - 10 / L - 3 / D - 2

Compliments to Mr. Congeniality on the sig. =D

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:17:04

At 7/16/08 02:47 AM, g0t wrote: Going on, anyone wanna play?

Well, as of now, I am waiting for an opponent as well. There are many people in my current room.

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:18:07

At 7/16/08 05:17 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Well, as of now, I am waiting for an opponent as well. There are many people in my current room.

What room you in? I'll play you.

Just go easy on me, i want to score some wins so I don't look like a total failure.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:36:25

At 7/16/08 05:18 AM, smc316 wrote:
At 7/16/08 05:17 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Well, as of now, I am waiting for an opponent as well. There are many people in my current room.
What room you in? I'll play you.

Well, I am using my Yahoo! account and I am playing on "Amoeba Drop", and go to suntend18. By the way, my name is "ralphsilang".

Just go easy on me, i want to score some wins so I don't look like a total failure.

Well, I am just beginning but I have experiences on playing Chess, so don't go easy on me.

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:38:43

At 7/16/08 05:36 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Well, I am using my Yahoo! account and I am playing on "Amoeba Drop", and go to suntend18. By the way, my name is "ralphsilang".
Well, I am just beginning but I have experiences on playing Chess, so don't go easy on me.

If you have a pogo can you go on that?

if not i'm signing up on yahoo now and should be there in about 30 minutes.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:43:09

At 7/16/08 05:38 AM, smc316 wrote:
At 7/16/08 05:36 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Well, I am using my Yahoo! account and I am playing on "Amoeba Drop", and go to suntend18. By the way, my name is "ralphsilang".
If you have a pogo can you go on that?

Speaking of pogo, I just quit on my game in my Yahoo account and signed up an account to pogo. My name is "ralphsilang".

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:47:39

At 7/16/08 05:43 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Speaking of pogo, I just quit on my game in my Yahoo account and signed up an account to pogo. My name is "ralphsilang".

Wish you said that before I signed up on yahoo. lol

Either way look up chess, go into the game room "Blue Nile" and set up a tabel, i'll be there in a sec.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 05:50:23

At 7/16/08 05:47 AM, smc316 wrote:
At 7/16/08 05:43 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Speaking of pogo, I just quit on my game in my Yahoo account and signed up an account to pogo. My name is "ralphsilang".
Either way look up chess, go into the game room "Blue Nile" and set up a tabel, i'll be there in a sec.

Ok then, I'll wait for you. I am hungry for a first win.

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 06:46:13

At 7/16/08 05:50 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Ok then, I'll wait for you. I am hungry for a first win.

Lmao, you left because you were eating you pig. XD

Won once, lost twice and no draws.

Those were our stats.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 06:54:59

At 7/16/08 06:46 AM, smc316 wrote:
At 7/16/08 05:50 AM, youngblood26 wrote: Ok then, I'll wait for you. I am hungry for a first win.
Lmao, you left because you were eating you pig. XD

Won once, lost twice and no draws.

I don't think that you won those 3 games. You resigned on the first game because I ate your queen early. In the second and third game, I checkmate you twice. And finally, I was finished eating my dinner. And later, I will prepare for my test tomorrow. Anyway, nice games.

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 06:59:54

At 7/16/08 06:54 AM, youngblood26 wrote: I don't think that you won those 3 games.

I didn't, I just said I won once and I lost twice.

LEARN TO READ.

I resigned once and you checkmated me once, I won once though on the first game.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 08:49:32

At 7/15/08 11:14 PM, smc316 wrote: When you say something like "We'll start a rounds robin tourny tonight most likely' you need to be spefic so this can reply to all of us, considering the night for you is the morning for others.

Look over the third section in the opening post. I plan to have tourney registration and actual execution to be held over a course of time so people don't feel restricted to a small chunk of time. Gameplay would go on much like fellas are doing now with the exhibition games, but certain games would be 'key' games that determine your place in the tourney.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 09:24:22

I've signed up, all the details are on the chessblogthing.

So, I'll be hanging around Pogo if you want a game.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 12:15:34

Stats:

Win: 1

Draw: 0

Lose: 0

Yeah...

smc, you left yourself SO open in that game, it's just not true...

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 13:00:10

This fucking shit isn't working for me. I have a pop-up blocker and pressing buttons don't make a bit of difference.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 14:18:07

Zerok, we always have tight matches. I'm tired of losing to you and so is everyone else. MUTINY I SAY.

W: 16
L: 5
D: 0

Gooch for MOD 09'

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 18:07:27

Okay, I've added all AIMs, and added all Pogo accounts to Zerok33NG.

I'll be on pogo leisurely this evening, waiting for players. It's 5PM here, I'll be going to be around midnight, but I'll be eating supper and maybe doing other things between now and then.

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 18:22:43

At 7/16/08 12:15 PM, Corky-D wrote: smc, you left yourself SO open in that game, it's just not true...

I was tired, I told when we played that I felt like shit.

At 7/16/08 01:00 PM, Racoonmario wrote: This fucking shit isn't working for me. I have a pop-up blocker and pressing buttons don't make a bit of difference.

Turn your pop up blocker off.

And/or press Ctrl + Alt at the same time whenever you press play, watch, leave and hold down for a bit.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 18:25:18

I have also added everyone who posted their Pogo Name in the Chessblog to my Friendslist so I can see who and who isn't on.

If ya don't mind.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 19:05:33

OPENING TOURNAMENT: DISCUSSION!

I hope to open registration on or after the coming weekend.

Here's what we need to get it underway:

Structure: I propose a multi-tiered Round Robin.

First round: Random pairs (or skill match?).

Second round A): Winners from round one either follow a tree structure to their next opponent or are randomly assigned again. It's easier to follow the tree if there was random assignment to begin with.

Second round B): LOSERS from the first round go into a tree that looks just like the A.

In the A category the tree will flow as you'd expect, but the loser of each round will fall back into the 'B' tree. This may cause some odd numbers in the B tree, so the way to solve that is to give 'wild card' status to the contestant that fell from the higher place on the A tree (less games needed to go through as a bit of a reward, I guess).

For the final, the Top A tree contestant and Top B tree vie for the championship.

It may seem a little confusing, so I'll give an 8 person example in diagram form below.

-----

Basically, give a YAY or NAY on the proposed setup.

NEXT:

Registration Duration/Cap: How long do we want to keep registration open for? OR do we want, say, a 16 person cap? 20? As many as we can get in X days? I'll initially throw this out: Three Day duration and 16 person cap, whichever comes first.

Tournament Duration: How long should it last, and how much leeway do we give for games? We should establish a MAX leeway, so people who know they wont be able to tango for X days will know to avoid registration. I think a week would be a good max, though it's entirely possible that we'd bang it off in a day or two. The week gives people freedom and breathing room. Also, quarter final / semi final extensions can be made, unless you'd prefer a stricter setup.

Gameplay rules: We need to agree upon and adhere to settings in the actual game, such as:

Timer clocks: Yes/No ---> if yes, how long?

Black or White: Random, or preassigned, or swapping, or what?

Timeouts: If someone has a computer mishap, is it a auto-loss? Do we take a screenie of the board/email move history and recreate the game?

Draws: Is a draw a rematch? Or will a forced stalemate (i.e. the losing player manages to trick the other into a draw) count as a WIN (I personally like this idea)?

Audience: Do we disallow audience hints? Agree upon NO AUDIENCE or MUTED AUDIENCE or UP TO THE PLAYERS?

I think that's all that needs to be discussed. Please throw in your two cents so we can get this up and running ASAP, tell your friends, blah blah. ;)

====

Now for terrible MS Paint Diagram!

Green = A tree
Red = B tree
Red in green box = A tree 'dropouts.'

Winner: 3; 2nd: Slash; 3rd: 1

<x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x>

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 19:26:32

At 7/16/08 07:05 PM, Zerok wrote: OPENING TOURNAMENT: DISCUSSION!

I hope to open registration on or after the coming weekend.

Here's what we need to get it underway:

Structure: I propose a multi-tiered Round Robin.

First round: Random pairs (or skill match?).

Second round A): Winners from round one either follow a tree structure to their next opponent or are randomly assigned again. It's easier to follow the tree if there was random assignment to begin with.

I would say follow the tree structure but the structure should be assigned randomly like out of a hat random.

Second round B): LOSERS from the first round go into a tree that looks just like the A.

I like this.

In the A category the tree will flow as you'd expect, but the loser of each round will fall back into the 'B' tree. This may cause some odd numbers in the B tree, so the way to solve that is to give 'wild card' status to the contestant that fell from the higher place on the A tree (less games needed to go through as a bit of a reward, I guess).

Cool cool I like this setup but I'm a little confused when you say wild card, I'm not very familiar with that term.

For the final, the Top A tree contestant and Top B tree vie for the championship.

Interesting idea but the person in tree A should be given a greater status or something to get to treee B you need to have lost a game first.

NEXT:
Registration Duration/Cap: How long do we want to keep registration open for? OR do we want, say, a 16 person cap? 20? As many as we can get in X days? I'll initially throw this out: Three Day duration and 16 person cap, whichever comes first.

We should put the registration in chessclub userpage and keep it up for one day and there should be a set number of people just to make sure there isn't an odd number of people.

Tournament Duration: How long should it last, and how much leeway do we give for games? We should establish a MAX leeway, so people who know they wont be able to tango for X days will know to avoid registration. I think a week would be a good max, though it's entirely possible that we'd bang it off in a day or two. The week gives people freedom and breathing room. Also, quarter final / semi final extensions can be made, unless you'd prefer a stricter setup.

I think that a leeway is important to have at least like an hour or so apart that way people can make sure they know who they will be playing.

Gameplay rules: We need to agree upon and adhere to settings in the actual game, such as:
Timer clocks: Yes/No ---> if yes, how long?

Yes I would say like 30:00 - 45:00

Black or White: Random, or preassigned, or swapping, or what?

Random to avoid possible favoritism.

Timeouts: If someone has a computer mishap, is it a auto-loss? Do we take a screenie of the board/email move history and recreate the game?

Yes, I think it's only fair that if the game crashes he should be given another shot from the place he left off.

Draws: Is a draw a rematch? Or will a forced stalemate (i.e. the losing player manages to trick the other into a draw) count as a WIN (I personally like this idea)?

Draws should count as a rematch.

Audience: Do we disallow audience hints? Agree upon NO AUDIENCE or MUTED AUDIENCE or UP TO THE PLAYERS?

I think it should be up to the players if thy want an audience or not but I personally believe that if there are audience members they should be muted.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 20:10:04

At 7/16/08 07:05 PM, Zerok wrote: OPENING TOURNAMENT: DISCUSSION!
It may seem a little confusing, so I'll give an 8 person example in diagram form below.

-----

It seems like a good idea, the losers still get chance at winning.

YAY.

4 Days for registration.
All players availible.

Tournament Duration:

I would say we have a days break between every round.

How long should it last, and how much leeway do we give for games? We should establish a MAX leeway, so people who know they wont be able to tango for X days will know to avoid registration. I think a week would be a good max, though it's entirely possible that we'd bang it off in a day or two. The week gives people freedom and breathing room. Also, quarter final / semi final extensions can be made, unless you'd prefer a stricter setup.

A week. That should be long enough for everyone to see it.

But, what if a player can't play at such and such a time?
It has to be much more open, I'd suggest the following:

(Assuming that the results of every round is posted here)
After every round, the next players are informed by PM or IM that they're next, telling them to
meet up with their opponent and play in the next few days.
They should inform us here when and where they're playing (which table, I'll assume that we'll stay in one room) so we can watch and take proof of who the winner is. Just in case.

I'll leave it at this for the moment, any comments?

Timer clocks: Yes

Yes, but a minimum of 15 Minutes and maybe a plus of 20 seconds after the go.

Black or White

Random.

That's actually a good idea. After 5+ Minutes.
But the rest of the timing for the other rounds would get cocked up, the players would need to be notified if such happens, because of the regame.

That's assuming that all the rounds are stuck to a certain time.

It should be open-ended, just in case something like that occurs.

Yeah, I'd count that as a win too ;)

No audience hints, everything else is allowed.
I'm assuming that only NGers would be in the audience, so it's possible to make that a rule.

===

What about time zones?
I for instance would be too tired to play at my max capabilities at around this time, whereas over at yours it's still somewhat early. (It's 2 in the morning)

BBS Signature

Response to <x> Newgrounds Chess Club V2.0 <x> 2008-07-16 20:21:10

Thanks for chipping in guys.

A good point is made about time-zones.

In your registration, I'll ask for those who live outside of the Americas to post their location and/or time difference so they can be paired accordingly. Once matches for these people run out, they'll have to hope for another player to agree on some extreme times. Hopefully compromises can be made... and I hear that RHP has games where you can make a move then leave, but that'd take weeks to do.